Pineapple Thief

Default 4th album, need studio upgrade advice

Hi everyone

I always read this group because I know there are a lot of seasoned,
professional engineers out there but this is my first post. Basically, I
have been releasing albums recorded in my project studio on a small label in
London, UK (I am starting number 4). Over the years, my engineering and
ears have been improving and I have had the privilege of working with a top
producer from the 80s who has taught me a lot. My last album, sonically,
was a vast improvement on previous ones. It has sold about 2000 so far,
which isn't great but it HAS given me about $3000 to spend upgrading my
studio to take my next recording to the next level. Basically, I need
advice on some crucial elements to my studio setup.

I am thinking of spending $700 on a decent 2 channel ad converter, namely
the LUCID AD2496. As I record in SX at 96khz, 90% of my recordings are
overdubs using 2 tracks, so it figure that I should have a premium signal
path for 2 mics/lines. I use an NT2 for vocals, and a stereo pair groove
tubes condensers for acoustic guitars and a pair of 57s for my boogie cab.
For the first time, I am going to record drums for the next album. So, I
bought a 10 channel ST Audio DSP2000 setup. this is budget but apparently
the converters are clean and I couldn't justify spending too much just for
drums. This has an SPDIF digi in for my premium input from the Lucid (can
there by a quality issue with an SPDIF input??) and another 8 analogue
channels for the drums. I didn't want to spend too much on my setup for
recording drums when it makes up such an occasional use of my studio. So,
to cut a long story short, what pres and compressors should I buy, wthin my
budget, to get a good drum sound? I read previous posts that if I am
spending this kind of dollar, that I should listen myself. I disagree - I
can't make a judgement in a listening room or a shop - the only time I know
if a piece of gear is any good is after having it for a month or so in my
setup. So, I need to rely on the advice of you guys!

1) What 2 channel mic pre for my premium channel? This will be mainly for
vocals and acoustic guitar and micing up my boogie MkIII cab. I can budget
about $1000 for this. I have some good compressor plugins (waves) so
ideally I am looking at getting the sweetest, cleanest signal into my PC -
but the ability to colour the sound would be interesting also. So, a dual
mic pre wtih compressor might be worth considering.
2) what compressors are good for drums? I was thinking of some used
drawmers? I am looking for a classic rock sound, nothing too produced - ie
Coldplay, U2, Chili Peppers. And which part of the kit is best used for my
premium channel? the overheads? I will be using 57s and 58s for the kit,
with the groove tubes as overheads and a AT825 for a room mic, D112 (or 57)
for kick. This will give me plenty to work with for different sounds I
might need in production.
3) The ST audio only has 2 mic pres - I will need another 6. Should I buy a
second hand mackie, or a rack mounted set of pres, such as the octepre or
something from presonus? Am I kidding mysefl that I can get an adequate
drum sound on a budget? I want to spend the majority of my budget on the
Lucid and 2 channel mic pre!

Sorry for all these questions, but I really feel that some advice from
someone in the know will be worth more than my naive judgement I may have.
Anyone who is interested, my band is basically a coldplay/radiohead/elbow
style. I always thought the timeless records are the honest, not too
'produced' ones (ie most the rock/pop stuff from the 80s now sounds crap but
the 70s stands up well) so I am looking for an 'honest', clean recording
free from digital harshness.

I hope someone has had to the patience to read my bloated post!

Cheers all

bruce

Kieran McCoey

"Pineapple Thief" wrote in message
[...]

Well done for having the patience to scroll all the way down here...
Note on the STAudio:
There are reports that the convertors, whilr OK at 44.1/48, are terrible at
96kHz. Recommendations are to stay at 44.1.
--
Remove spam trap to reply (change the 'dot' to a .)

Kieran McCoey

[...]

P.S. Gimme back my pineapples.

James Perrett

Pineapple Thief wrote:

Hi everyone

I always read this group because I know there are a lot of seasoned,
professional engineers out there but this is my first post. Basically, I
have been releasing albums recorded in my project studio on a small label in
London, UK (I am starting number 4). Over the years, my engineering and
ears have been improving and I have had the privilege of working with a top
producer from the 80s who has taught me a lot. My last album, sonically,
was a vast improvement on previous ones. It has sold about 2000 so far,
which isn't great but it HAS given me about $3000 to spend upgrading my
studio to take my next recording to the next level. Basically, I need
advice on some crucial elements to my studio setup.

What are you plugging the mics into at the moment? What are you using as
a convertor at the moment?

If I was in your shoes I'd go for a used console to give me flexibility.

I wouldn't bother with analogue compressors if you already have decent
digital compression on the computer. However, if you really want an
analogue compressor then take a look at the FMR RNC first.

Cheers.

James.

Cheers.

James.

Roger W. Norman

My question would be, if you're continuing to come up with better product
sonically with what you have, why are you so willing to go spend money on
new stuff? The absolute ONLY qualifier would be that you can't possibly get
any better sound out of what you've got. If you can't state that
emphatically, then use the money you've earned to continue to promote your
current CD so that you can garner even more money to upgrade as you find it
necessary.

It's nice to have equipment, but as George Massenburg has said (and it used
to be my tag) "It takes a life time to get a little better". Unless you can
pinpoint the faults in your system absolutely, you should really be spending
your time and money on making more music. If you NEED more, then go into a
better facility and find out what it is you need. A couple of hundreds of
dollars will tell you one hell of a lot without being stuck with equipment
you may or may not use, and it doesn't cost the thousands you may end up
spending.

So sit down, listen to your product with your band members, pinpoint what
works and what doesn't work. Figure out whether what doesn't work is an
equipment problem or whether it's a use problem with the equipment you have.
List pros and cons for each consideration. Add them together and subtract
them from your proposed budget and then THINK real hard about whether it's
worth the money just to have some new toys. My guess is that if you are
already coming up with better recordings you probably still have a ways to
go before you can find the NEED for more equipment.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

[...]

anthony.gosnell

"Pineapple Thief" wrote
3) The ST audio only has 2 mic pres - I will need another 6. Should I buy

second hand mackie, or a rack mounted set of pres, such as the octepre or
something from presonus? Am I kidding mysefl that I can get an adequate
drum sound on a budget? I want to spend the majority of my budget on the
Lucid and 2 channel mic pre!

The ST audio M-port has 8 mic pre's and better AD convertors than the
C-port. I think this would be preferable and probably cheaper than a
mackie.

On the other hand if you are only doing drums on occasion you could always
hire a mixer or some pre-amps just for the drum days.
You could buy a RNP so you have good mic pre's on overheads, kick and snare
and hire a mackie for Toms etc.

--
Anthony Gosnell

to reply remove nospam.