Posted to rec.audio.opinion
gperkins151 gperkins151 is offline

Default How much money to spend on CD player relative to reciever/speakers?

I am curious about how much money (or how high end) one should spend on
a CD player for a home system with the following components?

1. Onkyo TX-8511 receiver.
2. Polk Audio Monitor 40's.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article . com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I am curious about how much money (or how high end) one should spend on
a CD player for a home system with the following components?

1. Onkyo TX-8511 receiver.
2. Polk Audio Monitor 40's.

Up to $350 or so gives you a choice of NAD, Marantz, Sony ES, etc, but
you'd do okay with a commodity model with a digital output. Try before
you buy!

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

MiNe 109 wrote:

In article . com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I am curious about how much money (or how high end) one should spend on
a CD player for a home system with the following components?

1. Onkyo TX-8511 receiver.
2. Polk Audio Monitor 40's.

Up to $350 or so gives you a choice of NAD, Marantz, Sony ES, etc, but
you'd do okay with a commodity model with a digital output. Try before
you buy!

Are Denon not doing anything decent currently ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

MiNe 109 wrote:

In article . com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I am curious about how much money (or how high end) one should spend on
a CD player for a home system with the following components?

1. Onkyo TX-8511 receiver.
2. Polk Audio Monitor 40's.

Up to $350 or so gives you a choice of NAD, Marantz, Sony ES, etc, but
you'd do okay with a commodity model with a digital output. Try before
you buy!

Are Denon not doing anything decent currently ?

Denon, too. I had just looked at the website and saw a universal player
around $350 but forgot to list it. There might be a Pioneer Elite, too.

"Etc." covers a lot of ground!

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy dizzy is offline

MiNe 109 wrote:

In article . com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I am curious about how much money (or how high end) one should spend on
a CD player for a home system with the following components?

1. Onkyo TX-8511 receiver.
2. Polk Audio Monitor 40's.

Up to $350 or so gives you a choice of NAD, Marantz, Sony ES, etc, but
you'd do okay with a commodity model with a digital output. Try before
you buy!

What "commodity" players are available for significantly less than
those you mentioned? I mean CD players, not DVD players, which have
sucky controls for music listening.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"gperkins151" wrote in message
ups.com

I am curious about how much money (or how high end) one
should spend on a CD player for a home system with the
following components?

1. Onkyo TX-8511 receiver.

Current street price ca. $250, mid-priced stereo receiver

2. Polk Audio Monitor 40's.,

Current street price ca. $300, mid priced 2-way floor standing speakers

Comparable quality home type CD players run in the ca. $70-150 range.

Are you interested in a CD change?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Arny Krueger wrote:
Are you interested in a CD change?

Well, I hear that they break down more ofen than single CD players. I
saw a TEAC CD-P1260 today (single CD) for $129 and a Sony CE595 (5
CD/SACD) for $119.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 14:58:04 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Are you interested in a CD change?

Is that anything like a SeaChange, Arny?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

gperkins151 wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:
Are you interested in a CD change?

Well, I hear that they break down more ofen than single CD players.

This tends to be true.

I saw a TEAC CD-P1260 today (single CD) for $129 and a Sony CE595 (5
CD/SACD) for $119.

I've never heard a single good word about TEAC CD players ( I'd categorise them
as 'also-rans' ) and Sony ones tend to be overpriced relative to what's actually
inside them ( you pay for the name ).

I'm surprised Arny didn't actually recommend a DVD-CD player actually. It will
handle formats other than straight CD and the quantity they're made in make them
very affordable.

I have a Pioneer DV-360 for example ( just as a DVD player ) but I'm assured it
outperforms many straight CD players too.

Unless the rest of your system is in the $1500-2000 area I wouldn't fret
excessively over your CD player other than to get a decent 'medium rank' one.
The critical part is the D-A converter and these can always be upgraded using an
external DAC anyway.

I've personally been well pleased with Denons fwiw. Many ppl rate Marantz highly
too.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Eeyore said:

I've never heard a single good word about TEAC CD players ( I'd categorise them
as 'also-rans' ) and Sony ones tend to be overpriced relative to what's actually
inside them ( you pay for the name ).

Never heard of the VRDS10 and 20?
The P700?

Never heard of Sony's fixed pickup mechanism?
The CDP-XA50?

Landmarks of technology in their days, and still in use by some.

--

- Maggies are an addiction for life. -

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Sander deWaal wrote:

Eeyore said:

I've never heard a single good word about TEAC CD players ( I'd categorise them
as 'also-rans' ) and Sony ones tend to be overpriced relative to what's actually
inside them ( you pay for the name ).

Never heard of the VRDS10 and 20?
The P700?

Never heard of Sony's fixed pickup mechanism?
The CDP-XA50?

Landmarks of technology in their days, and still in use by some.

And how is TEAC involved ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Eeyore said:

I've never heard a single good word about TEAC CD players ( I'd categorise them
as 'also-rans' ) and Sony ones tend to be overpriced relative to what's actually
inside them ( you pay for the name ).

Never heard of the VRDS10 and 20?
The P700?

Never heard of Sony's fixed pickup mechanism?
The CDP-XA50?

Landmarks of technology in their days, and still in use by some.

And how is TEAC involved ?

Huh?
You mention TEAC as an "also-ran", I dispute that.
You, as an audio pro, should be aware of TEAC's (Tascam) achievements
in the broadcast- and pro audio field, as well as in domestic hifi.

http://www.pbase.com/adn/image/26283873
http://www.audiofili.net/impianti/luciano_m3/cd_tt.jpg
http://www.zenn.com.sg/Teac_T1_D1.jpg

You mention Sony as "paying for the name", I dispute that.
You, as an audio pro, should be aware of Sony's achievements in the
broadcast- and pro audio/video field, as well as in domestic hifi.

http://www.ciklo-group.com/Hexanol/s...CDP-XA50ES.gif
http://www.hifi.nl/gfx/Sony_cdpXA50_09012003.jpg

--

- Maggies are an addiction for life. -
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Sander deWaal wrote:

Eeyore said:

I've never heard a single good word about TEAC CD players ( I'd categorise

them
as 'also-rans' ) and Sony ones tend to be overpriced relative to what's actually
inside them ( you pay for the name ).

Never heard of the VRDS10 and 20?
The P700?

Never heard of Sony's fixed pickup mechanism?
The CDP-XA50?

Landmarks of technology in their days, and still in use by some.

And how is TEAC involved ?

Huh?
You mention TEAC as an "also-ran", I dispute that.

For common or garden CD players yes.

You, as an audio pro, should be aware of TEAC's (Tascam) achievements
in the broadcast- and pro audio field, as well as in domestic hifi.

Tascam's not really proper pro-audio. It was great for home recordists in its day for
sure.

You mention Sony as "paying for the name", I dispute that.
You, as an audio pro, should be aware of Sony's achievements in the
broadcast- and pro audio/video field, as well as in domestic hifi.

I've certainly used Sony's professional equipment but I'm simply saying that I reckon
Sony's domestic gear is a bit overpriced for what it is.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Walt Walt is offline

Eeyore wrote:
Sander deWaal wrote:

You, as an audio pro, should be aware of TEAC's (Tascam) achievements
in the broadcast- and pro audio field, as well as in domestic hifi.

Tascam's not really proper pro-audio. It was great for home recordists in its day for
sure.

Correct. Mostly their achievement was in hitting a price point where
hobbyists could afford it. Very popular, but unreliable gear.

You mention Sony as "paying for the name", I dispute that.
You, as an audio pro, should be aware of Sony's achievements in the
broadcast- and pro audio/video field, as well as in domestic hifi.

I've certainly used Sony's professional equipment but I'm simply saying that I reckon
Sony's domestic gear is a bit overpriced for what it is.

Hmmm, I bought a Sony portable CD player about a year ago for less than
$50. Yeah, there were off-brands available cheaper, but I don't
consider $50 overpriced.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Walt said:

I've certainly used Sony's professional equipment but I'm simply saying that I reckon
Sony's domestic gear is a bit overpriced for what it is.

Hmmm, I bought a Sony portable CD player about a year ago for less than
$50. Yeah, there were off-brands available cheaper, but I don't
consider $50 overpriced.

Is that one example the exception that proves the rule, or the rule that
negates the exceptions?

--

Lionella loves the Krooborg from afar. With mud on top.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Walt wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Sander deWaal wrote:

[...]

Quite possibly not actually Sony manufactured but a Sony branded product.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
George M. Middius wrote:

Walt said:

I've certainly used Sony's professional equipment but I'm simply saying
that I reckon
Sony's domestic gear is a bit overpriced for what it is.

Hmmm, I bought a Sony portable CD player about a year ago for less than
$50. Yeah, there were off-brands available cheaper, but I don't
consider $50 overpriced.

Is that one example the exception that proves the rule, or the rule that
negates the exceptions?

I don't know about Graham's market, but here's the US website:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/%3Cw.../eCS/Store/en/
-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=hav_HiFiComponents_CDPlayers2&D
ept=tvvideo

Sorry about the wrap. This'll work, too:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y54as4

This lists seven players under $400 and a flagship model at $3k is still
cheaper than the high-end competition. Several are megachangers and/or
have multichannel capability.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
bassett bassett is offline

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
Eeyore said:

I've never heard a single good word about TEAC CD players ( I'd
categorise them
as 'also-rans' ) and Sony ones tend to be overpriced relative to what's
actually
inside them ( you pay for the name ).

Never heard of the VRDS10 and 20?
The P700?

Never heard of Sony's fixed pickup mechanism?
The CDP-XA50?

Landmarks of technology in their days, and still in use by some.

And how is TEAC involved ?

Huh?
You mention TEAC as an "also-ran", I dispute that.
You, as an audio pro, should be aware of TEAC's (Tascam) achievements
in the broadcast- and pro audio field, as well as in domestic hifi.

http://www.pbase.com/adn/image/26283873
http://www.audiofili.net/impianti/luciano_m3/cd_tt.jpg
http://www.zenn.com.sg/Teac_T1_D1.jpg

Teac are cheap and nasty and considered sub-standard, and are really only
cheap toys, didn't the Australian arm of the company go broke. I can
remember them getting the receivers in, to wind up the company, some
time ago.

You mention Sony as "paying for the name", I dispute that.
You, as an audio pro, should be aware of Sony's achievements in the
broadcast- and pro audio/video field, as well as in domestic hifi.

http://www.ciklo-group.com/Hexanol/s...CDP-XA50ES.gif
http://www.hifi.nl/gfx/Sony_cdpXA50_09012003.jpg

Sony are expencive for what you get, and very time consuming to have
repaired, IF you can find someone to repair there stuff. These days you
only pay for the name. and any connection between there domestic
stocks and there professional arm, is only in the name..
bassett

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:00:26 +1100, "bassett"
wrote:

didn't the Australian arm of the company go broke. I can
remember them getting the receivers in

Teac receivers? No better than the CD players.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

"bassett" barked:

Teac are cheap and nasty and considered sub-standard, and are really only
cheap toys, didn't the Australian arm of the company go broke. I can
remember them getting the receivers in, to wind up the company, some
time ago.

They went broke because they make cheap toys?

Cheap toys is what stupid consumers like you *want*, K9.
A new cell phone each year, a new mp3 player each year, ever changing
memory cards that won't fit in the old one, and vice versa.

China understood that lesson, some Japanese companies did not.
Too bad, because that's just how they grew big in the '50s and '60s.

My old TEAC VRDS10 is still playing in my father's system, it has been
up and running for over 10 years now, without changing parts.
Just cleaning the lens every 2 years or so.

Sony are expencive for what you get, and very time consuming to have
repaired, IF you can find someone to repair there stuff. These days you
only pay for the name. and any connection between there domestic
stocks and there professional arm, is only in the name..
bassett

Newsflash, pal:

*Nothing* today is made to repair or to even last longer than 2 years.
They want you to buy new, even worse but ever so cheap stuff when the
old ones break down.

That's also why they foist ever more new formats upon us.

Older Sonys are actually very simple to repair, usually all one needs
is a hot soldering iron and a couple meters of Sn/Pb.

Now go back to your doghouse and spell out the latest Walmart folder.

--

- Maggies are an addiction for life. -

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
bassett bassett is offline

wrote:

didn't the Australian arm of the company go broke. I can
remember them getting the receivers in

Teac receivers? No better than the CD players.

Packer, your a half educatted, [ and that's giving you the benifit of the
doubt ]
clod, who should never have left the farm .
What I was refuring to was the Insolvency receivers or IRTA,, but as
you have nothing, would never ever come into contact with such
people.

As to the question of Teac,, Someone in the know, when it comes to
electronic's once told me, Never buy anything with 4 letters in the
name, Teac, Sony, Bose, etc. But as your an expert is sweet **** all,
you would already know that.
How's the job as a traffic cone going.
bassett

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"bassett" wrote in message

As to the question of Teac, Someone in the know, when it comes to
electronic's once told me, Never
buy anything with 4 letters in the name, Teac, Sony,
Bose, etc. But as your an expert is sweet **** all, you would already
know that.

Wow, that's some really deep analysis you've got going there, Basset. Count
the number of letters in the manufacturer's name, and get the real skinny
about how good the audio product is. I never knew it was that simple.

Since I've been able to count to 4 since I was 3, I wonder why I wasted all
those years working up to a master's degree in engineering.

I'm going to warn my kids about the fallacy of wasting time in school -
especially important given that two of them have PhDs, and the dumb one
merely has two BSs and a MBA. None are older than 33. There's still time for
them to change their lives to one of productivity and insight at your level.

Thanks again for the insight.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

wrote:

didn't the Australian arm of the company go broke. I can
remember them getting the receivers in

Teac receivers? No better than the CD players.

Packer, your a half educatted, [ and that's giving you the benifit of the
doubt ]
clod, who should never have left the farm .
What I was refuring to was the Insolvency receivers or IRTA,, but as
you have nothing, would never ever come into contact with such
people.

Good God, bassett, you've got as sharp a sense of humour as Arnie.

I didn't think that was possible.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

paul packer said:

Good God, bassett, you've got as sharp a sense of humour as Arnie.
I didn't think that was possible.

So you deny being employed as a traffic cone?

--

Lionella loves the Krooborg from afar. With mud on top.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Arny Krueger a scris:
"bassett" wrote in message

As to the question of Teac, Someone in the know, when it comes to
electronic's once told me, Never
buy anything with 4 letters in the name, Teac, Sony,
Bose, etc. But as your an expert is sweet **** all, you would already
know that.

Wow, that's some really deep analysis you've got going there,

that would include the "Arny" abx box.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:18:03 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"bassett" wrote in message

As to the question of Teac, Someone in the know, when it comes to
electronic's once told me, Never
buy anything with 4 letters in the name, Teac, Sony,
Bose, etc. But as your an expert is sweet **** all, you would already
know that.

Wow, that's some really deep analysis you've got going there, Basset. Count
the number of letters in the manufacturer's name, and get the real skinny
about how good the audio product is. I never knew it was that simple.

Arnold, perhaps you can interpret bassett's sentence for me:

But as your an expert is sweet **** all, you would already
know that.

I'm completely stumped.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

"bassett" wrote in message

As to the question of Teac, Someone in the know,
when it comes to electronic's once told me, Never
buy anything with 4 letters in the name, Teac, Sony,
Bose, etc. But as your an expert is sweet **** all,
you would already know that.

Wow, that's some really deep analysis you've got going
there, Basset. Count the number of letters in the
manufacturer's name, and get the real skinny about how
good the audio product is. I never knew it was that
simple.

Arnold, perhaps you can interpret bassett's sentence for
me:

But as your an expert is sweet **** all, you would
already
know that.

I'm completely stumped.

My best guess was to replace "is" with "about".

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
bassett bassett is offline

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

paul packer said:

Good God, bassett, you've got as sharp a sense of humour as Arnie.
I didn't think that was possible.

So you deny being employed as a traffic cone?

It's an even bet they both drive Volvo's

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

"bassett" wrote in message

As to the question of Teac, Someone in the know, when it comes to
electronic's once told me, Never
buy anything with 4 letters in the name, Teac, Sony,
Bose, etc. But as your an expert is sweet **** all, you would
already
know that.

Wow, that's some really deep analysis you've got going there, Basset.
Count
the number of letters in the manufacturer's name, and get the real skinny
about how good the audio product is. I never knew it was that simple.

Arnold, perhaps you can interpret bassett's sentence for me:

But as your an expert is sweet **** all, you would already
know that.

I'm completely stumped.

was that "Stumped' or "Stupid"

rec.audio.car FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (caution, this is HUGE) MOSFET Car Audio 0 June 18th 06 05:27 AM
Postal Lottery: Turn $6 into $60,000 in 90 days, GUARANTEED [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 0 January 16th 05 04:52 AM
money money money mhsrulz07 Car Audio 0 December 27th 04 07:52 AM
NAD 541i worth the money over 521i CD player? Reinaldo Valenzuela Audio Opinions 4 July 29th 03 08:57 PM