Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Help me spend money on recording gear!

I plan to record solo acoustic guitar perhaps with vocals at some
point. I have a budget of $4400 or so to work with.

Current signal chain:
Audio Technica AT-822 stereo mic - Soundcraft Compact 4 mixer -
LynxOne soundcard

The room is treated and the guitar is a spruce/rosewood Kevin Ryan
Cathedral (large bodied) guitar.

Possible upgrade combinations I've considered (taking into account how
things cost more in Australia) a

* Pendulum MDP-1 preamp + 2 Neumann KM184 SD mics (will need to up the
budget a little)
* Great River MP-2NV + 2 KM184s (change left over for stands, stereo
bar, etc)
* Great River MP-2 + 2 KM184s + 1 TL103 for variety + stands, etc.
* Great River MP-2 + 2 Schoeps CMC5/MK41 mics (need to up the budget
for stands, etc)

I know *ANY* of these will be a great improvement over what I have now.
What I'd like to do is invest in a really decent setup, forget about
upgrading and learn to get the most out of the equipment.

This is the level of recording I'm getting now:
http://www.fingersandstrings.com/mp3...sThenNails.mp3

This was done using the new soundcard, first with fingerpicks then the
same thing with nails. No limiting, noise reduction or reverb so it's
raw but you get the idea.

Looking forward to hearing your input. Anything else to consider? The
LynxOne card is awesome!

Gerry Nelson

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

wrote in message
oups.com...

* Great River MP-2 + 2 Schoeps CMC5/MK41 mics (need to up the budget
for stands, etc)

That's the one I'd pick. Get a couple of shockmounts if the Schoepsim don't
come with 'em.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Gerry,
$4400 USD or Aussie $?

Mikey
Nova Music Productions

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Paul Stamler wrote:

gesunelson wrote...

* Great River MP-2 + 2 Schoeps CMC5/MK41 mics (need to up the budget
for stands, etc)

That's the one I'd pick. Get a couple of shockmounts if the Schoepsim don't
come with 'em.

If you buy the matched set for the US market you get a pair of
shockmounts.

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro