Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

Default SET v. PP, the big fight tonight

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

Snipped, a barney of misunderstandings deliberately created by Arny
Krueger in an effort to win a petty and spurious point.

Out of that confusion Trevor offered to supply some page numbers from
the RDH to prove that SET amps are less desirable than PP amps. That is
the subject here. Let's keep keep it clean, fellers and come out
swinging.

SET v. PP, THE BIG FIGHT TONICHT

First Trevor hauls out with his Langford-Smith, the voice of God, From
the RDH 4.

Section 13.1
Section 13.2
Section 13.4 (Not entirely necessary for this discussion)
Section 13.5 (note the following words on page 574: "Push-pull operation
tends always to reduce the effects of hum in either the grid bias or plate
supply voltage.")
Section 13.6 (Not strictly for discussion, because they speak of non-Triode
amplifiers)

Andre is on the canvas. You can't argue with a series of hammerblows
like that. The ref makes him take a count of eight.

Snips, which can be seen other threads. Trevor next asks us to
address the following points I made about SE(T) amplifiers:

---
* ALL SE amps suffer from even order harmonic distortion, which is
automatically reduced by using push pull topology. IOW: All things being
approximately equal (same output valves, high quality iron, good power
supply, same bias current, etc) push pull will outperform SE.

True.

* ALL SE amps suffer appallingly bad load tolerance. IOW: A 20 SE amp (at or
near clipping) will deliver 10 Watts @ 4 Ohms, 5 Watts @ 2 Ohms and so on.
Unless the user has an almost resistive load, then severe power problems can
be expected. This problem can be eliminated by using push pull topology.

True.

* SE amps are MUCH less efficient that a similar power PP amp.

Do we even need to say it?

* SE amps, generally, exhibit higher levels of hum and noise than PP amps.

Possibly true for the SE amps built by those you know, Trevor, or even
some kind of a majority which can at a stretch permit you use the
description "generally".

* SE amps have a lower damping factor than a similar PP amp. This may lead
to audible frequency response problems, within the audio range.

Also true, given that you add word generally to the first sentence.
"Similar" is really a copout. Nobody who starts work on a SET amp has
the constraints (usually of costs and a high power level) which
generally hogtie PP design.

--

Andre is staggering. His corner fingers the towel nervously. Wilson is
prancing around, his fists already rising to take the victory on a

The truth is, Trevor, that my personal taste and the winner in blind
tests with the musicians (still unspecified, if you don't mind) I like
to use, as well as other qualified persons, is for small Class A
push-pull trioded pentodes operated at low power with zero negative
feedback. The best amp I ever designed is my T113 Class A PP EL34 in
triode mode (its switchable, actually) with zero or very little
negative feedback (also tunable in my own copy). That doesn't mean I
abhor SET or solid state. I have and use both, too. Nor does the choice
necessarily have anything to do with your reasons above. We shall
return to those in a moment.

At this point Trevor starts taking blows. In another thread Trevor
wrote:

**Why else would any sane designer choose SE(T) over PP? SE(T) offers no
advantages. None whatsoever. PP is superior in every way.

Aha. That's a different story:

1. Commercial reasons. A Japanese manufacturer I have worked with
several times wanted a PSE 300B for about 16W. I wanted to give him
trioded pentode PP for a better sound. His wife killed the discussion:
We could never sell the better amp for half of what we can charge for
the double-300B. I do as I am told. Herself has spoken.

2. Just because Andy Cowley is an unnecessarily abrasive asshole
doesn't mean he is always wrong. He gave us a perfect reason for SET
amps the other day: their transfer curve and interaction with the right
speakers play right into the aural condition of the men who can afford
them, who are largely middle-aged.

3. Well, actually, PP isn't superior in every way for every purpose.
There are niches, and SET suits some of them very well indeed, thank
you. Let's look again at your list of the shortcomings of SET, which I
have admitted above, and see why none of those factors really matter in
the end result.

Now Andre is off the ropes, swinging. This is the same set of facts
Trevor presented above, and Andre agreed to, seen in a new light:

Andre offers Trevor a handicap: You can assume the worst condition for
SE (zero negative feedback) and the best condition for PP (all the
negative feedback even an incompetent designer may want), and I'll
still whip your ass. Remember, Trevor, this isn't about which is better
on the bench, this is about the rational right of audiophiles as
listeners to choose their own topology.

---
* ALL SE amps suffer from even order harmonic distortion, which is
automatically reduced by using push pull topology. IOW: All things being
approximately equal (same output valves, high quality iron, good power
supply, same bias current, etc) push pull will outperform SE [on distortion].

There is no problem making an SE amp as flat as necessary even without
NFB. You just choose sensitive speakers and then load up the impedance
on the plate until its response is flat; all it costs is power turned
into heat. At this point you discover that the PP amp with its feedback
has disturbing odd harmonics. The argument isn't about added euphonics
in the SE amp, it is that the wretched NFB has drained some glee from
the PP amp.

* ALL SE amps suffer appallingly bad load tolerance. IOW: A 20 SE amp (at or
near clipping) will deliver 10 Watts @ 4 Ohms, 5 Watts @ 2 Ohms and so on.
Unless the user has an almost resistive load, then severe power problems can
be expected. This problem can be eliminated by using push pull topology.

True for those so thick they apply solid state paradigms to tube amp
design. The solution is sensitive speakers and to design the amp so
that it never comes within a hundred nautical miles of clipping. A 40W
Pdmax 300B loaded to give under 4W of very flat power with a signal
swing that never comes within some tens of volts from grid current,
driving a speaker that will never demand a whole watt, is so far
removed from this theoretical problem, we don't even discuss it much.
It is only when a solid designer transferring in, or a newbie who still
considers power a benefit blows in that we need to explain something
this ingrained.

* SE amps are MUCH less efficient that a similar power PP amp.

Extravagantly true. So what? Hedonism has a price.

* SE amps, generally, exhibit higher levels of hum and noise than PP amps.

Quite untrue in my experience. There is no intrinsic reason an SE amp
built by someone who knows that it won't benefit from the noise
rejection PP amps have as birthright, should not be so designed as to
minimize the disadvantage. I have reviewed several American and Far
Eastern PP amps that have more him and general **** than any of my SE
amps, and the price difference wasn't so huge in all cases (I admit, in
most the price difference was large)

* SE amps have a lower damping factor than a similar PP amp. This may lead
to audible frequency response problems, within the audio range.

I repeat: Also true, given that you add word generally to the first
sentence. "Similar" is really a copout. Nobody who starts work on a SET
amp has the constraints (usually of costs and a high power level) which
generally hogtie PP design.

I'm going to leave Patrick argue this one with you. Didn't we have some
private correspondence about this late last year, Patrick? Look it up:
I thought you were admirably concise and to the point.

--

There are some unique advantages to SET amps. One important one is that
they naturally operate in Class A with only natural feedback (internal

I hope I have demonstrated that SET amplifiers are a perfectly
legitimate choice even though I agree with you that a PP amp (strictly
of the Class A1, ZNFB provenance, of course) will always be a
technically better amp.

The scorers are at work...

Quoted text by
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Counterargument by
Andre Jute
wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Chris Hornbeck

On 18 Dec 2005 19:53:41 -0800, "Andre Jute" wrote:

* SE amps are MUCH less efficient that a similar power PP amp.

Extravagantly true. So what?

Perhaps if we were to frame the argument to specifically
exclude issues of efficiency, cost, and suitability for
use in 7.1 channel Home Theaters...

Those issues make a short and trivial discussion.
On this newsgroup, other things actually matter.

BTW, perusing your website, I discovered the
Gazelle Toulouse. Curse you, Andre Jute. How the heck
am I supposed to get one here to East Jesus, Arkansas?
The web site doesn't even mention American
distribution, and I've never seen one (but it
seems Just Right). Drat, and a curse on both
our houses.

Thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck

"Angels are, dreaming of you" - Sonic Youth
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

[...]

**Good to see you are displaying the kind of honesty not present in some
others I've discussed this topic with.

* ALL SE amps suffer appallingly bad load tolerance. IOW: A 20 SE amp (at
or
near clipping) will deliver 10 Watts @ 4 Ohms, 5 Watts @ 2 Ohms and so
on.
Unless the user has an almost resistive load, then severe power problems
can
be expected. This problem can be eliminated by using push pull topology.

True.

**Good to see you are displaying the kind of honesty not present in some
others I've discussed this topic with.

* SE amps are MUCH less efficient that a similar power PP amp.

Do we even need to say it?

**Apparently we do. Patrick Turner has proclaimed that none of what I wrote
is correct.

* SE amps, generally, exhibit higher levels of hum and noise than PP
amps.

Possibly true for the SE amps built by those you know, Trevor, or even
some kind of a majority which can at a stretch permit you use the
description "generally".

**I used the term "generally", since it is possible to build a crappy PP amp
and a relatively good SE(T) amp, where the PP amp is inferior. However, all
things being equal (or as equal as can be, PP will be superior).

* SE amps have a lower damping factor than a similar PP amp. This may
lead
to audible frequency response problems, within the audio range.

Also true, given that you add word generally to the first sentence.
"Similar" is really a copout. Nobody who starts work on a SET amp has
the constraints (usually of costs and a high power level) which
generally hogtie PP design.

**One must compare apples with apples.

--

Andre is staggering. His corner fingers the towel nervously. Wilson is
prancing around, his fists already rising to take the victory on a
technical (hee-hee) knockout.

The truth is, Trevor, that my personal taste and the winner in blind
tests with the musicians (still unspecified, if you don't mind) I like
to use,

**I'll tackle this point, right here and now. The mere fact that a person is
a musician cuts no mustard with anyone. A musician, depending on his/her
particular talent, has some excellent abilities. The ability to judge how
realistic a sound reproduction system is (the goal of high fidelity) not one
of them. Dexterity, the ability to follow music sheets and other factors are
relevant for musicians.

Anecdote:

A few years ago, I attended the sound system owned by one of Australia's
foremost, most respected classical musicians. The man was not old. He is
also one of the nation's best conductors. That puts him way ahead of the
vast majority of musos, given he actually hears the entire orchestra, rather
than listening only to the (say) squeaking of the first violins. Most musos
only get to listen to their own instruments clearly. Anyway, I walked in,
put on an unfamiliar disk and was instantly struck by the obvious problems
in the system. First and foremost, one of the speakers was out of phase.
After rectifying this fault, I asked the man what he thought of the
(considerable) improvement. His response: "I don't hear any difference".

Hmmmmm..

One of my old school mates played in the Sydney Symphony Orchestra's First
Violins. He listens to his system with the tone controls (??!!!) turned all
the way up.

Don't talk to me about musicians.

as well as other qualified persons, is for small Class A
push-pull trioded pentodes operated at low power with zero negative
feedback.

**Good for them. I'm not disucssing preference. I'm discussing high
fidelity. IE: What sounds closer to the real event.

The best amp I ever designed is my T113 Class A PP EL34 in
triode mode (its switchable, actually) with zero or very little
negative feedback (also tunable in my own copy).

**I have no issue with PP, of any persuasion. PP eliminates or reduces most
of the problems associated with SE(T).

That doesn't mean I
abhor SET or solid state. I have and use both, too. Nor does the choice
necessarily have anything to do with your reasons above. We shall
return to those in a moment.

At this point Trevor starts taking blows.

**Oh, dream on.

In another thread Trevor
wrote:

[...]

**Nope. If your hypothetical SE(T) amp uses no Global NFB, then so too does
the hypothetical PP amp. Same output tubes, same Class A bias, similarly
sized power supply, etc, etc. Let's compare apples with apples, not apples
with bricks.

Remember, Trevor, this isn't about which is better
on the bench, this is about the rational right of audiophiles as
listeners to choose their own topology.

**You mean: "The irrational right of some nut-jobs to promote dodgy
technology to those who know no better."

---
* ALL SE amps suffer from even order harmonic distortion, which is
automatically reduced by using push pull topology. IOW: All things being
approximately equal (same output valves, high quality iron, good power
supply, same bias current, etc) push pull will outperform SE [on
distortion].

There is no problem making an SE amp as flat as necessary even without
NFB.

**Yes, there is.

You just choose sensitive speakers

**Hang on a sec. You've just shifted the goalposts. You're saying that SE(T)
amps are OK, but you must use certain speakers. I presume you're going to
tell me that they need to provide a perfectly resistive load too? Don't
forget, that pesky power problem associated with SE(T) amps.

and then load up the impedance
on the plate until its response is flat; all it costs is power turned
into heat. At this point you discover that the PP amp with its feedback
has disturbing odd harmonics. The argument isn't about added euphonics
in the SE amp, it is that the wretched NFB has drained some glee from
the PP amp.

**There is no necessity for a PP amp to use Global NFB. If you want to
compare non-Global NFB SE(T) amps, then compare them with a similarly
configured PP amp.

* ALL SE amps suffer appallingly bad load tolerance. IOW: A 20 SE amp (at
or
near clipping) will deliver 10 Watts @ 4 Ohms, 5 Watts @ 2 Ohms and so
on.
Unless the user has an almost resistive load, then severe power problems
can
be expected. This problem can be eliminated by using push pull topology.

True for those so thick they apply solid state paradigms to tube amp
design.

**Nope. True for ALL SE amps. Every one. It's just that the distortion
levels of SET amps (and most others which eschew the use of Global NFB)
increases distortion somewhat gradually. The end result is still the same.
Halve the load impedance and halve the power. Excatly the reverse of a
theoretically 'perfect amplifier' and far from what almost any PP amp (even
those which use no Global NFB) will do. IOW: SE(T) amps are about as
anti-high fidelity as it is possible to get.

The solution is sensitive speakers and to design the amp so
that it never comes within a hundred nautical miles of clipping.

**Cop out. It is desirable to prevent any amplifier from clipping.

A 40W
Pdmax 300B loaded to give under 4W of very flat power with a signal

**Which becomes 2 Watts, when the load is 4 Ohms and 1 Watt, when the load
falls to 2 Ohms.

swing that never comes within some tens of volts from grid current,
driving a speaker that will never demand a whole watt, is so far
removed from this theoretical problem, we don't even discuss it much.
It is only when a solid designer transferring in, or a newbie who still
considers power a benefit blows in that we need to explain something
this ingrained.

* SE amps are MUCH less efficient that a similar power PP amp.

Extravagantly true. So what? Hedonism has a price.

**I was thinking that ignorance has it's price.

* SE amps, generally, exhibit higher levels of hum and noise than PP
amps.

Quite untrue in my experience.

**Go read the RDH4. It's all there.

There is no intrinsic reason an SE amp
built by someone who knows that it won't benefit from the noise
rejection PP amps have as birthright, should not be so designed as to
minimize the disadvantage. I have reviewed several American and Far
Eastern PP amps that have more him and general **** than any of my SE
amps, and the price difference wasn't so huge in all cases (I admit, in
most the price difference was large)

**There you go again: Comparing apples with bricks.

* SE amps have a lower damping factor than a similar PP amp. This may
lead
to audible frequency response problems, within the audio range.

I repeat: Also true, given that you add word generally to the first
sentence. "Similar" is really a copout. Nobody who starts work on a SET
amp has the constraints (usually of costs and a high power level) which
generally hogtie PP design.

**All one needs to do is to put as much effort into a PP design that one
puts into the SET design and the superiority will be blindingly obvious.

I'm going to leave Patrick argue this one with you. Didn't we have some
private correspondence about this late last year, Patrick? Look it up:
I thought you were admirably concise and to the point.

**Patrick lacks the balls to argue with me.

--

There are some unique advantages to SET amps. One important one is that
they naturally operate in Class A

**Er, no. They MUST operate in Class A. MUST, MUST MUST. BIG diference. A PP
deisgner can choose any Class of operation, from Class B all the way to pure
Class A. Moreover, since the efficiency level is significantly higher, more
Class A can be run, so that operating into lower impedance loads still
affords some Class A operation, if that is desired. The SE(T) designer is
stuck with whatever he/she can manage.

with only natural feedback (internal
to tube as contrasted with added NFB), whereas the temptation in PP
amps is always more power in Class A/B which never sounds quite as
pleasing.

**Again: If you want to compare zero Global NFB designs, then do so. Don't
compare apples with bricks.

I hope I have demonstrated that SET amplifiers are a perfectly
legitimate choice

**Only for the ignorant.

even though I agree with you that a PP amp (strictly
of the Class A1, ZNFB provenance, of course) will always be a
technically better amp.

**Thank you. THAT is my point.

The scorers are at work...

**I suspect I know what the result will be.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns

In article .com, "Andre
Jute" wrote:

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

* ALL SE amps suffer appallingly bad load tolerance. IOW: A 20 SE amp (at or
near clipping) will deliver 10 Watts @ 4 Ohms, 5 Watts @ 2 Ohms and so on.
Unless the user has an almost resistive load, then severe power problems can
be expected. This problem can be eliminated by using push pull topology.

True.

This is a crock, and is actually False if everything else is equal, namely
the PP amp uses the same tubes under the same operating conditions as the
SE amp.

A severe blow to Trevor

* SE amps are MUCH less efficient that a similar power PP amp.

Do we even need to say it?

No, SE amps are only marginally less efficient than PP amps using the same
tubes under the same class A operating conditions.

* SE amps have a lower damping factor than a similar PP amp. This may lead
to audible frequency response problems, within the audio range.

Also true, given that you add word generally to the first sentence.
"Similar" is really a copout. Nobody who starts work on a SET amp has
the constraints (usually of costs and a high power level) which
generally hogtie PP design.

Again this is a crock and is False, PP or SE doesn't make any difference
as long as the tubes and operating conditions are the same. The SE will
actually have a better damping factor than a similar PP amp operating
class AB.

Trevor loses the match.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger

in article , Andre Jute
at
wrote on 12/18/05 10:53 PM:

wrote:

[...]

******

This isn't much of contest; the fight was rigged from the git-go.

Properly designed SE amps can do nice things in the mid and upper registers,
with very efficient low-wattage speakers. But if you like music with lots
of bass, well, the single tube SE topology generally doesn't do a good job
of controlling a woofer (or its equivalent). I suspect the ganged OTL amps
do better on that score, but I haven't auditioned many so far.

Lately I've been listening to Cain & Cain single-driver speakers driven by
SE and PP amps. Both types can sound very pleasing, but what it drives home
is that there are no perfect amplifiers, and no perfect speakers. IMHO, it
becomes a contest of bracketing the choices . . . .

E.g., SE with good, efficient drivers sounds good over a certain range. But
it doesn't deliver the visceral stuff if you like Bach's Toccata & Fugue in
D Minor, or Ron Carter. If you use NFB to improve dampening and lower
distortion to reasonable levels, it is at great expense of power. Some
powerful tubes used for SE are very non-linear (think 6C33) and the music
suffers accordingly.

PP may not have the brilliance of SE in the upper registers, but on balance,
it can deliver excellent sound throughout the entire audible spectrum at low
distortion & with the other benefits previously & often cited.

I'd put a PP amp using good iron (e.g. Eico HF-87 or Acrosound 600) with
EL34s or better, operating in Class A against a SE amp any day.

But that's just my opinion.

What do golden gloves and golden ears have in common??

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

[ Trevor Wilson wrote:]
* SE amps are MUCH less efficient that a similar power PP amp.

Extravagantly true. So what?

Perhaps if we were to frame the argument to specifically
exclude issues of efficiency, cost, and suitability for
use in 7.1 channel Home Theaters...

Those issues make a short and trivial discussion.
On this newsgroup, other things actually matter.

Chris, darling, WTF do you agree with, Trevor the Efficient or SET the
Hedonist or George Lucas the Destroyer? Or did I get it right first
time, this is a refined Plainsman's way of expressing contempt for the
destructive power of popular culture?

Andre Jute

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

John Byrns wrote:
In article .com, "Andre
Jute" wrote:

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

[...]

With my manager and my seconds holding me up, it looks like I won by a
knockout in the first round anyway!

Andre Jute
Having fun rigging the betting

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...

With my manager and my seconds holding me up, it looks like I won by a
knockout in the first round anyway!

**Huh? In what universe? You have yet to address the points I made in my
second post.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson

Andre Jute wrote [snip for brevity]

There are just three differences between SE and PP, and none are
worth fighting about.

First, a SE amp needs a gap in the OPT. In general, this results in
lower primary inductance, and therefore curtailed bass, all other
things being equal. This is not just a matter of common practice,
because if the SE OPT were to equal the inductance of the PP, it
would be much bigger, and suffer in terms of primary capacitance,
leakage inductance, or both, thus curtailing the top end. Hence the
difference here is fundamental. It is possible to use a gapped OPT
for PP, so some advantages of the gap are transferable from one
topology to the other. One property of the SE OPT is necessarily
unique, however: it is biased into the most linear part of the BH
curve. Any advantages of zero gap belong to PP alone.

Second, the opposition of distortion and power supply products in
PP. Assuming both have perfect power supplies, this boils down to a
matter of quantity v quality of distortion, and ultimately is a
matter of individual perception.

Third, a good PP amp will enter AB operation at the same point that
an equally good SE amp begins to clip.

All the other stuff is about incidental, rather than fundamental,
difference. Without a budget, there can be no sensible argument.

cheers, Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Pooh Bear

Andre Jute wrote:

With my manager and my sock-puppets holding me up, it looks like I won by a
knockout in the first round anyway!

In your oafish disease-riddled mind I guess.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

Trevor Wilson wrote:
Patrick Turner has proclaimed that none of what I wrote
is correct.

All of this depends on the assumptions under which we are operating.
You and Patrick may have less bother if you agree ground rules. This
isn't a knock. I made the same error: I thought you and I had a set of
assumptions agreed but it turns out not to be so when you say:

However, all
things being equal (or as equal as can be, PP will be superior).

The horses for courses assumption, supported by the above, which I
thought we had in common, is totally reversed in this exchange:

Andre offers Trevor a handicap: You can assume the worst condition for
SE (zero negative feedback) and the best condition for PP (all the
negative feedback even an incompetent designer may want), and I'll
still whip your ass.

**Nope. If your hypothetical SE(T) amp uses no Global NFB, then so too does
the hypothetical PP amp. Same output tubes, same Class A bias, similarly
sized power supply, etc, etc. Let's compare apples with apples, not apples
with bricks.

Oh dear. I was operating under assumption that all things are not
equal, not in the sense you elaborate above, that instead we are
positing a comparison between median real-life amps. For instance, a
modern ZNFB SET amp is deliberately designed to be much flatter than
say fifty years ago, while the PP amp will have much more power (than
the SET) with NFB silencing it. That changes my view on these matters
that you raise, even in the first (strictly technical) round where I
agreed with you, the second harmonics matter excepted. I read "similar"
in a very much wider context of merely meaning "competent" or "of
presently acceptable design", whereas you (and John and Chris) are
reading it as literal sameness, including precisely the same tubes at
precisely the same power output with precisely the same NFB, which you
specifically state later on.

**There is no necessity for a PP amp to use Global NFB. If you want to
compare non-Global NFB SE(T) amps, then compare them with a similarly
configured PP amp.

If that sort of *equality*, meaning precise similarity to the greatest
possible extent achievable, is the rule under which we're operating (a
stupid ****ing way to proceed, even if more scientific--nobody would
choke a PP amp down like that), I must be a greek giver. I cannot agree
with you an any point in the first round except the second harmonic.

* ALL SE amps suffer from even order harmonic distortion, which is
automatically reduced by using push pull topology. IOW: All things being
approximately equal (same output valves, high quality iron, good power
supply, same bias current, etc) push pull will outperform SE.

True. A great advantage, much more pleasant than the odd harmonics of
PP even when the latter is at a much lower absolute level. But in this
contest, with both amps operating under the same conditions, they are
assumed to be designed so that the harmonics of any nature are
imperceptible.

* ALL SE amps suffer appallingly bad load tolerance. IOW: A 20 SE amp (at
or
near clipping) will deliver 10 Watts @ 4 Ohms, 5 Watts @ 2 Ohms and so
on.
Unless the user has an almost resistive load, then severe power problems
can
be expected. This problem can be eliminated by using push pull topology.

When the two amps use the same tubes under the same operating
conditions? Rubbish. That's why I tried to give your beloved PP a break
so you could win something in the first round.

* SE amps are MUCH less efficient that a similar power PP amp.

In Class A? Replace the loud "much" with a whimpered space, and I'll
agree.

* SE amps, generally, exhibit higher levels of hum and noise than PP
amps.

This is entirely an irrelevance in modern amps where we know how to
reduce levels of hum and noise to better than acceptable levels. It is
a petty point applicable only to the cheapest commercial amps. We're
talking about a different class of amp.

* SE amps have a lower damping factor than a similar PP amp. This may
lead
to audible frequency response problems, within the audio range.

I withdraw my original highly qualified agreement, given under a false
assumption of amps of standard design for their class rather than
artificially similar as in the new rules.

**One must compare apples with apples.

Have it your way, Trevor. In that case, under the present rules your
statement is incorrect.

**I have no issue with PP, of any persuasion. PP eliminates or reduces most
of the problems associated with SE(T).

But Trevor, there aren't any problems remaining.

Under the new rules of equality, where I am defending ZNFB Class A SET
against Trevor's ZNFB Class A PP, push pull topology simply does not
have any technical advantage over SET, and in real life where the PP
amp would use beam or pentode tubes and the SET a DHT, the SET has all
the advantages of its built-in NFB.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

You shouldn't have changed the rules Trevor. Under the new rules you
cannot prove superiority for PP amps.

Not that anyone changes behaviour, of course. You will play your
beloved PP and I will play my beloved PP, and my beloved SET, and my
beloved solid state. We'll both still be listening to the speakers, not
the amps.

Thanks for sparring.

Andre Jute

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

I thought we were having a quiet discussion, Trevor. Now I discover you
gloating that you "won" something. We can safely leave that sort of
behaviour to trash like Poopie Stevenson. But I answered all the
points in this letter in the one I sent in reply to another. We should
do this again sometime.

-- Andre Jute

PS Jon, I hope you don't suspect me of rigging the contest. I bent over
backwards to give Trevor an unfair advantage. Like a gentleman he
declined it.

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article , Andre
Jute
at
wrote on 12/18/05 10:53 PM:

This isn't much of contest; the fight was rigged from the git-go.

**Yep. PP is a hands-down winner. Andre has moved the goalposts, but still
can't mount a credible argument, short of:

"But I know a bunch of musicians who prefer the sound of SET amplifiers."

IOW: No argument at all. In fact, he has already acknowledged that most of
my points are correct. IMO, he has yet to disprove any one of them.

Properly designed SE amps can do nice things in the mid and upper
registers,
with very efficient low-wattage speakers.

**And PP amps can do nice things in the midrange with efficient (and
innefficient) speakers. Veen better, they can do nice things in the LF and
HF to boot.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger

in article , Ian Iveson at
wrote on 12/19/05 3:19 AM:

Andre Jute wrote [snip for brevity]

There are just three differences between SE and PP, and none are
worth fighting about.

First, a SE amp needs a gap in the OPT. In general, this results in
lower primary inductance, and therefore curtailed bass, all other
things being equal. This is not just a matter of common practice,
because if the SE OPT were to equal the inductance of the PP, it
would be much bigger, and suffer in terms of primary capacitance,
leakage inductance, or both, thus curtailing the top end. Hence the
difference here is fundamental. It is possible to use a gapped OPT
for PP, so some advantages of the gap are transferable from one
topology to the other. One property of the SE OPT is necessarily
unique, however: it is biased into the most linear part of the BH
curve. Any advantages of zero gap belong to PP alone.

*** Ian, what about SE "parafeed", i.e. using a DC blocking cap with a
non-gapped OPT? Would one be trading one shortcoming for another? Or could
it offer a net improvement?

Second, the opposition of distortion and power supply products in
PP. Assuming both have perfect power supplies, this boils down to a
matter of quantity v quality of distortion, and ultimately is a
matter of individual perception.

Third, a good PP amp will enter AB operation at the same point that
an equally good SE amp begins to clip.

All the other stuff is about incidental, rather than fundamental,
difference. Without a budget, there can be no sensible argument.

cheers, Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns

In article , "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

Third, a good PP amp will enter AB operation at the same point that
an equally good SE amp begins to clip.

This is only true if the PP amp is biased at a lower standing current
level than the SE amp, or if the driver stage can supply the grid current
required for class AB2 operation.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson

John Byrns wrote

Third, a good PP amp will enter AB operation at the same point
that
an equally good SE amp begins to clip.

This is only true if the PP amp is biased at a lower standing
current
level than the SE amp, or if the driver stage can supply the grid
current
required for class AB2 operation.

You're right. Assuming that the SE is biased halfway between cutoff
and grid current.

Let's say in that case, all things being equal, that the PP will
enter AB2 at the same point that the SE begins to clip. If neither
is capable of sustaining grid current, then we would be comparing
one kind of distortion with another. Again, that would be a matter
of perception and preference I suppose.

It doesn't seem fair to compare an AB2-capable PP with a SE that
can't cope with grid current, and yet if the SE is capable of A2,
then it would be biased at a higher standing current than the AB2
PP. So if the "all other things being equal" is to include the
operating point, then really you have to compare SE A with PP AB2.

A2 PP seems perverse somehow.

cheers, Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...
I thought we were having a quiet discussion, Trevor. Now I discover you
gloating that you "won" something.

**Did I say that? Cite please. I said that PP was the winner. Not me. I am
quoting facts. You're the one involved in what you image to be some kind of
boxing match.

We can safely leave that sort of
behaviour to trash like Poopie Stevenson. But I answered all the
points in this letter in the one I sent in reply to another.

**Ah, the Patrick Turner response. IOW: NO response at all.

We should
do this again sometime.

-- Andre Jute

PS Jon, I hope you don't suspect me of rigging the contest.

**And yet, you did. YOu assumed that ALL PP amps uise Global NFB and ALL
SE(T) amps use none. A rather shabby attmpet to shift the goalposts. If
you're comparing apples then you should be using apples, not bricks.

I bent over
backwards to give Trevor an unfair advantage. Like a gentleman he
declined it.

**Utter, banal nonsense. Comparisons should be fair and reasonable. IOW:
Compare apples with apples, not apples and bricks.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...
Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

Trevor Wilson wrote:
[...]

**That would be a really dumb way to compare topologies. If you are
comparing topologies (which we are) then we need to eliminate as many
variables as it is possible to do. Global NFB vs. zero Global NFB is a HUGE
variable.

For instance, a
modern ZNFB SET amp is deliberately designed to be much flatter than
say fifty years ago, while the PP amp will have much more power (than
the SET) with NFB silencing it. That changes my view on these matters
that you raise, even in the first (strictly technical) round where I
agreed with you, the second harmonics matter excepted. I read "similar"

**When I say "similar" is mean SIMILAR. All the way down to the type of iron
used, tube types, resistor types, HT Voltages, bias currents and NFB
arrangements.

in a very much wider context of merely meaning "competent" or "of
presently acceptable design", whereas you (and John and Chris) are
reading it as literal sameness, including precisely the same tubes at
precisely the same power output with precisely the same NFB, which you
specifically state later on.

**There is no necessity for a PP amp to use Global NFB. If you want to
compare non-Global NFB SE(T) amps, then compare them with a similarly
configured PP amp.

If that sort of *equality*, meaning precise similarity to the greatest
possible extent achievable, is the rule under which we're operating (a
stupid ****ing way to proceed,

**Huh? If you're comparing output stage topologies (which we are) then it is
the ONLY way to proceed. Otherwise, you're just comparing different iron,
different NFB schemes, whatever.

even if more scientific--nobody would
choke a PP amp down like that), I must be a greek giver. I cannot agree
with you an any point in the first round except the second harmonic.

**Then you need to do more reading. Or testing. You choose.

* ALL SE amps suffer from even order harmonic distortion, which is
automatically reduced by using push pull topology. IOW: All things
being
approximately equal (same output valves, high quality iron, good power
supply, same bias current, etc) push pull will outperform SE.

True. A great advantage, much more pleasant than the odd harmonics of
PP even when the latter is at a much lower absolute level.

**Huh? In which universe do you imagine that higher levels of distortion
will lead to greater fidelity?

But in this
contest, with both amps operating under the same conditions, they are
assumed to be designed so that the harmonics of any nature are
imperceptible.

**A bold assumption. Under what conditions can your SET amp acheive that?

* ALL SE amps suffer appallingly bad load tolerance. IOW: A 20 SE amp
(at
or
near clipping) will deliver 10 Watts @ 4 Ohms, 5 Watts @ 2 Ohms and so
on.
Unless the user has an almost resistive load, then severe power
problems
can
be expected. This problem can be eliminated by using push pull
topology.

When the two amps use the same tubes under the same operating
conditions? Rubbish. That's why I tried to give your beloved PP a break
so you could win something in the first round.

**Huh? Let me spell it out for you: When your SE amp (of ANY variety) hits
it's maximum peak current, not only does it cease to be operating in Class
A, but it ceases to be an amplifier. *ANY* PP amp, will still continue to
act as an amplifier, even after it reaches a point where more peak current
is demanded, beyond it's bias point. It simply begins operation in Class B.
IOW: The worst case scenario will be that a PP amp will deliver
approximately similar power levels, even as the load impedance is halved. A
theoretically 'perfect' amplifier will, of course, double it's power as the
load impedance is successively halved. Therefore, *any* SE(T) amplifier is
the complete antithesis of the perfect amplifier.

* SE amps are MUCH less efficient that a similar power PP amp.

In Class A?

**Yes. Want that RDH4 quote again?

Replace the loud "much" with a whimpered space, and I'll
agree.

* SE amps, generally, exhibit higher levels of hum and noise than PP
amps.

This is entirely an irrelevance in modern amps where we know how to
reduce levels of hum and noise to better than acceptable levels. It is
a petty point applicable only to the cheapest commercial amps. We're
talking about a different class of amp.

**Fair enough. Nevertheless, it is a fact of life that PP confers an
automatic reduction in hum an noise.

* SE amps have a lower damping factor than a similar PP amp. This may
lead
to audible frequency response problems, within the audio range.

I withdraw my original highly qualified agreement, given under a false
assumption of amps of standard design for their class rather than
artificially similar as in the new rules.

**One must compare apples with apples.

Have it your way, Trevor. In that case, under the present rules your
statement is incorrect.

**Huh?

**I have no issue with PP, of any persuasion. PP eliminates or reduces
most
of the problems associated with SE(T).

But Trevor, there aren't any problems remaining.

Under the new rules of equality, where I am defending ZNFB Class A SET
against Trevor's ZNFB Class A PP, push pull topology simply does not
have any technical advantage over SET, and in real life where the PP
amp would use beam or pentode tubes and the SET a DHT, the SET has all
the advantages of its built-in NFB.

**I suggest you read the sections I've previously cited from the RDH4. Your
knowledge is seriously deficient. Unless, of course, you feel that the autor
of the RDH4 was wrong.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

You shouldn't have changed the rules Trevor. Under the new rules you
cannot prove superiority for PP amps.

**I changed nothing. When comparing topolgies, it is appropriate to compare
ONLY the topolgy.

Not that anyone changes behaviour, of course. You will play your
beloved PP and I will play my beloved PP, and my beloved SET, and my
beloved solid state. We'll both still be listening to the speakers, not
the amps.

Thanks for sparring.

**Sparring? What's with boxing metaphors?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:28:36 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

True. A great advantage, much more pleasant than the odd harmonics of
PP even when the latter is at a much lower absolute level.

**Huh? In which universe do you imagine that higher levels of distortion
will lead to greater fidelity?

Where did he talk about "fidelity"? Can you say, "Strawman"?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion
Lionel

wrote:

True. A great advantage, much more pleasant than the odd harmonics of
PP even when the latter is at a much lower absolute level.

**Huh? In which universe do you imagine that higher levels of distortion
will lead to greater fidelity?

Where did he talk about "fidelity"?

Please Sir, excuse Dave. He is the only deaf audio-reviewer around here.

Dave I have already told you that because of your hearing problems you
should stay off the discussions about HiFi...
What about a little politic discussion with McKelvy on RAO, eh Dave ?

--
"Nobody seemes to have actaully read what i wrote.
But what's new around here?"

Dave Weil, Sun, 05 Oct 2003 00:57:15
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion
Andre Jute

wrote:

True. A great advantage, much more pleasant than the odd harmonics of
PP even when the latter is at a much lower absolute level.

**Huh? In which universe do you imagine that higher levels of distortion
will lead to greater fidelity?

Where did he talk about "fidelity"? Can you say, "Strawman"?

To be fair, Dave, he talks about "greater fidelity", thought the answer
is still the same. Here is an experiment:

Set up two amplifiers exactly the same in all respects except one is PP
and the other is SE, with just enough distortion on each amplifier to
be perceptible to a refined listener. Spin a disc.

Now the SE amp will give you the warm glow that the same music
originally gave you in the concert hall. The PP amp will have that
disturbing edge of odd harmonics. Reduce the level of distortion a
little to below perception. Now the SE amp still sounds great and you
can live with for a long time. But the PP amp is not so comfortable
after a disc or two; it demands attention with a certain edgy quality.

Which offers a window on the concert hall? Which is the amp you want to
live with?

I would have given Trevor that one were he not trying to have it both
ways, on the one hand reproaching me for trying to cut his champion a
break by giving it NFB, on the other deceitfully claiming above that
despite making the amps precisely similar, which must surely include
the same level of THD (it would be hard to give them the same harmonics
spectrum!), the SE amp would still
have "higher levels of distortion". xTHD is xTHD, Trevor; all that is
different is the spectrum of harmonics.

But sure, I include in my definition of "greater fidelity" the quality
of distortion. When THD is levelpegged, the SE amp must produce a
superior quality result to that of the PP amp. (1)

You can't have it both ways, Trevor!

Andre Jute

(1) And, as Ruud Broens has already pointed out, odd harmonics are so
disturbing that even where the THD of a PP amplifier is lower than that
of an otherwise similar SE amp (Trevor's case above), the PP amp is
perceived as noisy whereas the SE amp is perceived as blamelessly
silent. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

True. A great advantage, much more pleasant than the odd harmonics of
PP even when the latter is at a much lower absolute level.

**Huh? In which universe do you imagine that higher levels of distortion
will lead to greater fidelity?

Where did he talk about "fidelity"? Can you say, "Strawman"?

To be fair, Dave, he talks about "greater fidelity", thought the answer
is still the same. Here is an experiment:

Set up two amplifiers exactly the same in all respects except one is PP
and the other is SE, with just enough distortion on each amplifier to
be perceptible to a refined listener. Spin a disc.

**I would accept that both amps display similar levels of odd order
distortion, at their rated power outputs. Say: 10 Watts(@ 8 Ohms) for the SE
and 20 Watts (@ 8 Ohms) for the PP. In that case, the SE amp will be
exhibiting MUCH higher levels of even order distortion than the PP amp. More
importantly, when the impedance of that speaker falls to (say) 4 Ohms, the
SE amp will fall on it's face, whist the PP amp will continue to deliver
more power (under most circumstances). Here is the impedance curve of a
(admittedly diabolical) 4 Ohms speaker:

www.rageaudio.com.au/kappa9.jpg

Configured for the 4 Ohm tap, a 10 Watt SE amp will be delivering around 2
Watts at the impedance dips. The PP amp, OTOH, has a much better chance of
maintaining output Voltage, regardless of the impedance of the load. The SE
amp, despite heroic efforts to bolster power supplies, is inevitably limited
by it's bias current. It is a major and fatal flaw on the road to high
fidelity reproduction.

Now the SE amp will give you the warm glow that the same music
originally gave you in the concert hall.

**Prove it. And forget about these musician friends. They are not
necessarily the ultimate arbiters of accurate sound reproduction equipment.

The PP amp will have that
disturbing edge of odd harmonics.

**The PP amp will exhibit similar levels of odd order harmonics.

Reduce the level of distortion a
little to below perception. Now the SE amp still sounds great and you
can live with for a long time. But the PP amp is not so comfortable
after a disc or two; it demands attention with a certain edgy quality.

**Prove it. I don't know about you, but I listen to music at any
(reasonable) level I want. Being forced to listen at incredibly low levels
is quite an odd concept.

Which offers a window on the concert hall? Which is the amp you want to
live with?

**The amp which:

* Exhibits the lowest levels of (audible) distortion.
* Is capable of driving real world, off the shelf loudspeakers.
* Exhibits the most linear frequency response, when driving the
above-mentioned loudspeakers.

I would have given Trevor that one were he not trying to have it both
ways, on the one hand reproaching me for trying to cut his champion a
break by giving it NFB, on the other deceitfully claiming above that
despite making the amps precisely similar, which must surely include
the same level of THD (it would be hard to give them the same harmonics
spectrum!), the SE amp would still
have "higher levels of distortion". xTHD is xTHD, Trevor; all that is
different is the spectrum of harmonics.

**Incorrect. For and SE amp and a PP amp to deliver a similar level of odd
harmonic distortion, the SE amp MUST deliver significantly higher levels of
even order distortion. Want me to quote the relevant RDH4 sections (again)?

But sure, I include in my definition of "greater fidelity" the quality
of distortion. When THD is levelpegged, the SE amp must produce a
superior quality result to that of the PP amp. (1)

**Not possible. The SE amp will ALWAYS be generating higher levels of even
order distortion. PP automatically reduces this effect. ref: RDH4.

You can't have it both ways, Trevor!

**PP amps allow it. PP amps provide the best of all possible results, with
no downsides (apart from a modest increase in complexity).

Andre Jute

(1) And, as Ruud Broens has already pointed out, odd harmonics are so
disturbing that even where the THD of a PP amplifier is lower than that
of an otherwise similar SE amp (Trevor's case above), the PP amp is
perceived as noisy whereas the SE amp is perceived as blamelessly
silent. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

**Indeed. Distortion is bad. Whether it be even or odd order. Given that PP
amps reduce even order distortion, they MUST be a better way.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Then you might as well stop right now, since it is clear from his history
that the person posting as Andre Jute does not argue that way. He never
loses because he always cheats.

Here's an example of what he thinks about an amp that as far as we know has
never been built:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...9469d4d1979506

You can also try this link and get some history:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=se...2005&safe=off&

It might be interesting for Graham to check some of the details on the names
of the people claiming to be friends or business associates of Jute and see
if they are sockpuppet's like the other "people" who have come out of the
blue to stick up for him.

In any case you can't win against a stacked deck, and it's clear from his
history that Jute will never answer any question that isn't in the handbook.

He just changes the subject or starts 3 attack threads.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Chris Hornbeck

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:19:16 GMT, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

There are just three differences between SE and PP, and none are
worth fighting about.

snipped for bandwidth

If you keep posting good sense, you'll just ruin the
thread for others.

Thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck

"Angels are, dreaming of you" - Sonic Youth
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Chris Hornbeck

On 18 Dec 2005 22:20:28 -0800, "Andre Jute" wrote:

Chris, darling, WTF do you agree with, Trevor the Efficient or SET the
Hedonist or George Lucas the Destroyer? Or did I get it right first
time, this is a refined Plainsman's way of expressing contempt for the
destructive power of popular culture?

Who you callin' re-fined?
I' been re-jailed but never been re-fined.

Chris Hornbeck

"Angels are, dreaming of you" - Sonic Youth
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Stewart Pinkerton

On 19 Dec 2005 02:38:22 -0800, "Andre Jute" wrote:

I thought we were having a quiet discussion, Trevor. Now I discover you
gloating that you "won" something. We can safely leave that sort of
behaviour to trash like Poopie Stevenson. But I answered all the
points in this letter in the one I sent in reply to another. We should
do this again sometime.

In reality, you were the one who first gloated that he had 'won' -
with his manager and seconds holding him up. Actually, of course, you
had fallen over your own bootstraps, as usual.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message

Properly designed SE amps can do nice things in the mid and upper
registers,
with very efficient low-wattage speakers. But if you like music with lots
of bass, well, the single tube SE topology generally doesn't do a good job
of controlling a woofer (or its equivalent). I suspect the ganged OTL
amps
do better on that score, but I haven't auditioned many so far.

If you are interested to build a OTL, Bruce Rozenblit has a good design in
one of his books. I think there is also a kit of parts available.

Lately I've been listening to Cain & Cain single-driver speakers driven by
SE and PP amps. Both types can sound very pleasing, but what it drives
home
is that there are no perfect amplifiers, and no perfect speakers. IMHO,
it
becomes a contest of bracketing the choices . . . .

Funny you should mention Cain and Cain. I went to a demo just a week or so
ago, to listen to the Abby (sic) with Fostex drivers. There were several
dealers present at the audition, but no-one decided to take the speaker on.
I too was disappointed.

E.g., SE with good, efficient drivers sounds good over a certain range.
But
it doesn't deliver the visceral stuff if you like Bach's Toccata & Fugue
in
D Minor, or Ron Carter. If you use NFB to improve dampening and lower
distortion to reasonable levels, it is at great expense of power. Some
powerful tubes used for SE are very non-linear (think 6C33) and the music
suffers accordingly.

How right you are! My only experience with an SET has been with small
classical ensemble - Shostakovich String Quartets. I was greatly impressed.
I really was sitting in the centre seat row five. However, I am also a jazz
fan.
The SET amp made a poor job of Ellington at Newport.

PP may not have the brilliance of SE in the upper registers, but on
balance,
it can deliver excellent sound throughout the entire audible spectrum at
low
distortion & with the other benefits previously & often cited.

I'd put a PP amp using good iron (e.g. Eico HF-87 or Acrosound 600) with
EL34s or better, operating in Class A against a SE amp any day.

Your comments strengthen the view that there is no "ideal" system for every
type of music. As Patrick pointed out, if you want a good "all round" amp,
an
amp for all seasons, then an SS amplifier is probably the right way to go.
But,
if you want just that little bit more.........:-)

I greatly enjoy my 50W PP UL valve amp. I am still thinking hard about
building an SET for "small classical" listening sessions though.

Regards

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
MarkS

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

***Here it is, distortion content. SE predominently 2nd order, PP naturally
cancels even order harmonics
but not odd. I seem to remember the even order harmonics being the reason
given for the "monster sound stage" capability
of the SE (as written in articles I've read over the years). Building an SE
is on my list for future projects if time EVER
allows spending time at the bench again!
Mark

Third, a good PP amp will enter AB operation at the same point that
an equally good SE amp begins to clip.

All the other stuff is about incidental, rather than fundamental,
difference. Without a budget, there can be no sensible argument.

cheers, Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger

in article , Iain Churches at
wrote on 12/20/05 5:46 AM:

pardon the truncation

If you are interested to build a OTL, Bruce Rozenblit has a good design in
one of his books. I think there is also a kit of parts available.

*** Actually, I've laid out one of his EL509 OTL amps on one of my
chassis. I had ordered two custom power toroids from Plitron. Now I just
have to find the time to wire it all up . . . .

How right you are! My only experience with an SET has been with small
classical ensemble - Shostakovich String Quartets. I was greatly impressed.
I really was sitting in the centre seat row five. However, I am also a jazz
fan.
The SET amp made a poor job of Ellington at Newport.

*** Do you have favorite selections that you use as a frame of reference?
I find that piano and female vocalists are the most helpful. Piano gives a
good idea of transient response, attack, and sibilance. Examples: Bill
Evans, Michel Petruciani. Verve and ECM generally have good recordings. Do
you concur?

[...]

*** In what direction are you headed? I've got a 6C33 and some Lundahl
iron, but I'm concerned that the 6C33 is kind of crappy for audio.

Regards

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
dave weil

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:56:50 +0100, Lionel
wrote:

Dave I have already told you that because of your hearing problems you
should stay off the discussions about HiFi...

And? Your point?

Since you often speak gibberish, we'll just add the above to the list.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lionel

wrote:

Dave I have already told you that because of your hearing problems you
should stay off the discussions about HiFi...

And? Your point?

My point ?
I let Dédé explains it for me :

"Set up two amplifiers exactly the same in all respects except one is PP
and the other is SE, with just enough distortion on each amplifier to
be perceptible to a refined listener."

Dédé is speaking of refined listener, Dave. Refined listener only !!!
You have clearly proven that you have a serious hearing loss. A guy who
cannot detect a 6 db garbage and lot of distortion in the *critical*
frequency range 1 to 3 khz is everything you want but surely *not* a
refined listener.

Since you often speak gibberish, we'll just add the above to the list.

This will not change anything to your disability.

If you was honest with yourself you would try to answer to this simple
question : when you go to the rock concert why are you looking for a place
in the first rows ?
The answer is simple Dave, because you have serious hearing problem.
Not a big issue after all, thanks to Dédé we have seen even some great
musician suffer this kind of problem.

Note that "at least" they aren't trying to write speaker review... ;-)

--
"Nobody seemes to have actaully read what i wrote.
But what's new around here?"

Dave Weil, Sun, 05 Oct 2003 00:57:15
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion
Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

True. A great advantage, much more pleasant than the odd harmonics of
PP even when the latter is at a much lower absolute level.

**Huh? In which universe do you imagine that higher levels of distortion
will lead to greater fidelity?

Where did he talk about "fidelity"? Can you say, "Strawman"?

To be fair, Dave, he talks about "greater fidelity", thought the answer
is still the same. Here is an experiment:

Set up two amplifiers exactly the same in all respects except one is PP
and the other is SE, with just enough distortion on each amplifier to
be perceptible to a refined listener. Spin a disc.

If the two amps are *in fact* the same in all respects, i.e the same
tubes at the same operating point, then the SE amp will have the same
level of odd harmonics as the PP amp - but *much* more 2nd harmonic
than the PP, which of course cancels the even harmonics.

To make the distortion levels 'just perceptible' in each case means
that the SE amp has much *less* basic distortion than the PP amp -
which is of course a completely unrealistic scenario.

Now the SE amp will give you the warm glow that the same music
originally gave you in the concert hall.

No, it will give you a warm glow that *never existed* in the concert
hall - it washes whiter than white.

The PP amp will have that
disturbing edge of odd harmonics. Reduce the level of distortion a
little to below perception. Now the SE amp still sounds great and you
can live with for a long time. But the PP amp is not so comfortable
after a disc or two; it demands attention with a certain edgy quality.

If the distortion is below perception in each case, then the amps will
sound identical. I believe our colonial cousins would insert a 'duuhh'
around here somewhere.......

Which offers a window on the concert hall? Which is the amp you want to
live with?

In the second case, they are both just fine, but the SE amp will have
cost much more, so you have less money to spend on speakers.......

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion
Andre Jute

wrote:

[...]

Exactly! That is why a silent SE amp, such as I build, sounds so much
better than anything else.

Life isn't fair, Stewart. That's just a normative case they teach in
engineering departments so the students don't run away to become
plumbers and earn real money and retire to Spain (horrid thought) at
35.

Now the SE amp will give you the warm glow that the same music
originally gave you in the concert hall.

No, it will give you a warm glow that *never existed* in the concert
hall - it washes whiter than white.

Hey, persil is good too. I'm outa advertising. The housewife isn't
stupid, she's your wife. The audiophile, at least the one with the
sense to buy tubes, isn't stupid, he's your paymaster.

The PP amp will have that
disturbing edge of odd harmonics. Reduce the level of distortion a
little to below perception. Now the SE amp still sounds great and you
can live with for a long time. But the PP amp is not so comfortable
after a disc or two; it demands attention with a certain edgy quality.

If the distortion is below perception in each case, then the amps will
sound identical.

In your normative case, sure. In real life the SE amp will be ZNFB and
the PP amp will have NFB. After 14 hours (not a random number but the
average number of hours an amp is on in my study every day) the SE amp
will still please but the NFB will not just be audible, it will visible
and threatening. This isn't about numbers but about the discrimination
of taste and experience.

I believe our colonial cousins would insert a 'duuhh'
around here somewhere.......

Proud to be an Australian.

Which offers a window on the concert hall? Which is the amp you want to
live with?

In the second case, they are both just fine, but the SE amp will have
cost much more, so you have less money to spend on speakers.......

Says a guy who bought a Krell! What's more, the discussion above
proceeded from the standpoint that the audiophile in question already
owns Quad ESL of some kind and Tannoy Royal Westminsters too. He's not
spending on speakers any more. I didn't mention that as it was too
obvious.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
in article , Iain Churches at
wrote on 12/20/05 5:46 AM:

pardon the truncation

If you are interested to build a OTL, Bruce Rozenblit has a good design
in
one of his books. I think there is also a kit of parts available.

*** Actually, I've laid out one of his EL509 OTL amps on one of my
chassis. I had ordered two custom power toroids from Plitron. Now I just
have to find the time to wire it all up . . . .

Hi Jon. That's good news- Please kep us informed. It is worthy of a new
thread.

The SET amp made a poor job of Ellington at Newport.

*** Do you have favorite selections that you use as a frame of reference?
I find that piano and female vocalists are the most helpful. Piano gives
good idea of transient response, attack, and sibilance. Examples: Bill
Evans, Michel Petruciani. Verve and ECM generally have good recordings.
Do
you concur?

Yes indeed. I use piano and female often for evaluation.
I have some very good material by Judie Tzuke (voice and piano) and
some first class recordings of Oscar Peterson (or Peter Oscarson, as my
wife calls him) solo piano and trio. When I go to a new recording venue, I
try to listen to music of the genre which we shall be recording to get to
know the sound of the control room. But assessment of
the venue itself is a separate problem:-)

When listening to people's systems, I always take with me something
appropriate for that system. Yesterday I was invited to listen a VAC 80W
KT88 amp which I had recently cornverted to triode, driving a pair of
PHY full range open baffle speakers. Quite an interesting set up. The
owner had a huge penthouse apartment. The listening area was probably
about 80 sq metres. Lined on three sides with CDs and vinyl, many many
thousand in number and record catalogues of most of the major companies.
I picked up the Penguin CD Guide. The chap said: "I have most of those"
He is a "serious" audiophile.

I greatly enjoy my 50W PP UL valve amp. I am still thinking hard about
building an SET for "small classical" listening sessions though.

*** In what direction are you headed? I've got a 6C33 and some Lundahl
iron, but I'm concerned that the 6C33 is kind of crappy for audio.

I am still at the thinking stage. This is a subject which I would like to
discuss with Patrick, Andre and several others, who have a lot more
practical experience in SET than I. However, I think a parallel solution
might be best, as I want to drive a pair of splendid old Kef K1's which
are not particularly sensitive.

This thread is now pretty long, and as I would like to turn a corner, and
chat about jazz with you Jon, so I will start a new one.

Best regards

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in
message

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...

True. A great advantage, much more pleasant than the odd
harmonics of PP even when the latter is at a much lower
absolute level.

One might try to compare SET and PP by comparing two amplifiers, one a SET
and the other a PP amp built up by running two SETs identical to the first,
in PP.

Now let's compare these two amps that differ only in that one is PP and the
other is SET. Let's further stipulate that listening levels will be kept
low, so that any power advantage of the PP amp is nullified.

We find that the SET puts out its usual mixture of even and odd-order
distortion. The PP setup will internally cancel out the even order
distortion, leaving only the same odd order distortion that the SET
produced. From the stand point of production of odd order distortion, the
two amps are identical. The SET differs in that it also produces even order
distortion.

The SET amplifier therefore provides no meaningful advantage from the
standpoint of reduction of odd-order distortion. It simply produces more
even-order distortion.

It is well known that amplifier nonlinearity whether odd or even order does
not produce only harmonic distortion. Amplifier nonlinearity produces IM
distortion. Even order nonlinearity is an especially effective means for
producing intermodulation products. IM distortion is almost guaranteed to be
non-harmonic and therefore very irritating to listen to.

In addition to producing less over-all distortion, the PP amplifier will
also produce less IM distortion than the SET amplifier.

**Huh? In which universe do you imagine that higher
levels of distortion will lead to greater fidelity?

The universe of SET hysteria, of course! ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

The only time an SET sounds good is when it's silent. :-) It's when you
turn them on that they suck.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion
Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

[...]

Except that you don't, and they don't.

Life isn't fair, Stewart. That's just a normative case they teach in
engineering departments so the students don't run away to become
plumbers and earn real money and retire to Spain (horrid thought) at
35.

Sure life's fair - it's *people* who try to make it unfair.

Now the SE amp will give you the warm glow that the same music
originally gave you in the concert hall.

No, it will give you a warm glow that *never existed* in the concert
hall - it washes whiter than white.

Hey, persil is good too. I'm outa advertising. The housewife isn't
stupid, she's your wife. The audiophile, at least the one with the
sense to buy tubes, isn't stupid, he's your paymaster.

Nope, he's spent far too much money on tubes to afford to hire anyone.

The PP amp will have that
disturbing edge of odd harmonics. Reduce the level of distortion a
little to below perception. Now the SE amp still sounds great and you
can live with for a long time. But the PP amp is not so comfortable
after a disc or two; it demands attention with a certain edgy quality.

If the distortion is below perception in each case, then the amps will
sound identical.

In your normative case, sure. In real life the SE amp will be ZNFB and
the PP amp will have NFB. After 14 hours (not a random number but the
average number of hours an amp is on in my study every day) the SE amp
will still please but the NFB will not just be audible, it will visible
and threatening. This isn't about numbers but about the discrimination
of taste and experience.

Actually, in your case it's about bull****. A clean amp is a clean amp
is a clean amp. It is always informative when you are ruminating
happily about the wonders of SET - and suddenly realise that the other
amp is the one that's actually connected!

I believe our colonial cousins would insert a 'duuhh'
around here somewhere.......

Proud to be an Australian.

I thought you were a Sarth Efrikaan?

Which offers a window on the concert hall? Which is the amp you want to
live with?

In the second case, they are both just fine, but the SE amp will have
cost much more, so you have less money to spend on speakers.......

Says a guy who bought a Krell!

Indeed, and for less then a grand, and it drives everything from
Lowthers to Apogees with equal aplomb - and sound just like its input
signal, as it should.

What's more, the discussion above
proceeded from the standpoint that the audiophile in question already
owns Quad ESL of some kind and Tannoy Royal Westminsters too. He's not
spending on speakers any more. I didn't mention that as it was too
obvious.

Not an unreasonable choice for the well-heeled audiophile, just needs
a decent 60-watter in each case. Fortunately, many excellent amps of
this description are currently available.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 21 Dec 2005 00:50:40 -0800, "Andre Jute" wrote:

Actually, in your case it's about bull****. A clean amp is a clean amp
is a clean amp. It is always informative when you are ruminating
happily about the wonders of SET - and suddenly realise that the other
amp is the one that's actually connected!

**Funny you mention that, Stewart. A couple of years ago, I was asked to
service two, stereo, 3 Watt (PP) valve amps. Unfortunately, apart from
several buggered valves, all the electros, many of the resistors and most of
the old plastic capacitors also required replacement, it had three (out of
four) faulty output transformers. This would have put the price into the
ridiculous area. Then, I had an idea. I put a pair of small power OP amps in
each amp. I put a LF and HF filter in front of each OP amp and ran the
whole shebang off the filament supplies. I left the valves in place and told
the client that I had fixed his amp. If was in any way unhappy with the
result, I would refund his money, in full. The cost, of course, was
significantly lower than replacing all the faulty stuff. After he'd used it
for a week, he reported that his amps had never sounded so good.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au