Mike Johnston

Default Soundstream Lil' Wonder Amp

I have a couple Soundstream Lil' Wonder 2-channel amps that I plan on using
for the system in my VW Jetta.
One for the front end, and one for the sub. I know when I bought ths amps,
that Soundstream thought they'd be funny and not publish any specs on them.
Through experience I found it nicely drives a set of front component
speakers.

I'm trying to find out some more information on this amp and what sort of
power it roughly puts out. I'm interested in driving a single 12'' DVC sub
off of it.

The only bit of information I have found so far is:
"I don't own this amp, but I thought the following info from CA&E's 3/99
issue would be helpful: The 2 channel version of this amp tested at 48 watts
@ 4 ohm, 61 watts @ 2 ohms, and bridged 4 ohms at 132 watts at .095
distortion, plus well designed fins that facilitate cooling. Interesting
note -- the crossover is via plug in modules that are operated
independently, so I assume band-pass capable. The rest of the article goes
on to praise this amp's quality as representative of classic Soundstream."

Does anyone have any sort of ideas what kind of power my Soundstream Lil'
Wonder 2-Channel amp puts out with a mono load at 4, 2 or 1ohm? I've heard
that you can run it at less than a 1 ohm load but I'm not entirely sure
about that.

If anyone has an idea what kind of power this amp makes I'd really like to
know before I buy a sub thats not correctly matched.

Thanks very much.

Paul Vina

The power specs in that issue are a little off since they limited distortion
to .095% which is *absurdly* low. I Beta tested the Angina, which has the
same goofy specs and it ran an IDQ12 DVC just fine and as loud as I'd want
it to get. The Lil Wonder will not play into a 2 ohm mono load for very
long so you'll need a dual 2 ohm sub or a SVC 4 ohm sub. FYI, when driving
a sub, if you limit distortion to 10% which is low for a sub you'll get
about 350 watts out of the Lil Wonder at 4 ohms mono.

Paul Vina