Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Mark Mark is offline

Default Another tactic to fight the s p @ m

take a look over at comp.dsp...

someone / something is going through all the posts and changing the
subject to SPAM for those posts that are ...um...spam....

that mkes it very easy for the rest of us to deal with it...

Who / what is doing this and can we do it at rec.audio.pro?

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
VelociChicken VelociChicken is offline

take a look over at comp.dsp...

someone / something is going through all the posts and changing the
subject to SPAM for those posts that are ...um...spam....

that mkes it very easy for the rest of us to deal with it...

Who / what is doing this and can we do it at rec.audio.pro?

hmm, I'm getting a reply (on comp.dsp) with the word SPAM in it, which
doesn't really help at all as it's not on the spam itself.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
bob[_3_] bob[_3_] is offline

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:08:23 +0100, "VelociChicken"
wrote:

i was thinking that if everyone starting a new thread would put ******
6 stars or really obvious symbols at the beginning of the subject, it
would be really easy to visually scan and delete... or something like
that...
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
[email protected] spamkiller1961@gmail.com is offline

On Apr 20, 10:08*am, "VelociChicken" wrote:
take a look over at comp.dsp...

someone / something is going through all the posts *and changing the
subject to SPAM for those posts that are *...um...spam....

that mkes it very easy for the rest of us to deal with it...

Who / what is doing this and can we do it at rec.audio.pro?

hmm, I'm getting a reply *(on comp.dsp) with the word SPAM in it, which
doesn't really help at all as it's not on the spam itself.

It only helps the people that are reading through google groups. If
you are reading the posts through another reader, then you need to
kill file all posts from me.

Basically, any google group message, you can reply to it and change
the title to SPAM. I was doing this on sci.electronics.design, but it
gets hammered.

Doing this frustrates some users but helps anyone that reads through
google groups.

However, I believe that the only way to stoip this is for google group
users to get a bogus name and turn the titles off. Maybe the spammers
will quit if every title gets changed on them.

We will see
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

On Apr 20, 10:46*am, wrote:
[...]

If you want to do this, you need to do it with a google group
account. So many users are blocking everything from google, but
allowing other stuff to pass. Don't change the titles from a non-
google account.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

wrote ...
If you want to do this, you need to do it with a google group
account. So many users are blocking everything from google, but
allowing other stuff to pass. Don't change the titles from a non-
google account.

You can't change the subject lines of existing messages. You
can only control the subject line on your own response.
There is no benefit after the fact.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

"Mark" wrote [from GoogleGroups] ...
take a look over at comp.dsp...

someone / something is going through all the posts and changing the
subject to SPAM for those posts that are ...um...spam....

No. They are *replying* to the spam messages with annother
message titled "SPAM". You cannot change the original
message, not the subject line or anytying else about it.

that mkes it very easy for the rest of us to deal with it...

No. It does nothing for people who are reading the spam
for the first time unless they see that there is a *reply* to
the spam message with the title "SPAM". If you were
using a traditional, time-tested threaded newsreader,
you would see the folly of that method.

Who / what is doing this and can we do it at rec.audio.pro?

Anybody can do it, even you. However it is of very questionable
utility and just doubles the number of spam messages.
Not a good idea IMHO.

Suggest that you get a real newsreader and not that
horroble GoogleGroups web-based peep-hole into the
real Usenet. Then you can actually filter out the spam,
something Google is too stupid or lazy to do (or else they
actually have some beneft from the spam traffic.)

I'm beginning to think that it *IS* a good idea to just
kilfile (ignore) anything posted from GoogleGroups or
from someone with a gmail account. (That includes
YOU if you didn't get the hint.)

Google is fouling their own nest (the archives) with their
laissez-faire attitude. Yet annother failed neo-lib theory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laissez-faire
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 07:05:05 -0700 (PDT), Mark
wrote:

take a look over at comp.dsp...

someone / something is going through all the posts and changing the
subject to SPAM for those posts that are ...um...spam....

that mkes it very easy for the rest of us to deal with it...

Who / what is doing this and can we do it at rec.audio.pro?

Complete waste of time. Everyone still gets the original spam. This
way they get it twice, labelled "Spam" the second time.

It'snot too bad on rap, and at least the Chinese spam isn't offensive.
Your eyes and brain can skip over them as effeciently as any other
method.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Mark wrote:
take a look over at comp.dsp...

someone / something is going through all the posts and changing the
subject to SPAM for those posts that are ...um...spam....

that mkes it very easy for the rest of us to deal with it...

Who / what is doing this and can we do it at rec.audio.pro?

Looks to me more like some idiot is responding to all of the spam posts
with SPAM in the subject... consequently there are TWO posts for every
spam message. This kind of help is NOT something we need.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Nil Nil is offline

On 20 Apr 2008, Mark wrote in rec.audio.pro:

take a look over at comp.dsp...

someone / something is going through all the posts and changing the
subject to SPAM for those posts that are ...um...spam....

that mkes it very easy for the rest of us to deal with it...

Who / what is doing this and can we do it at rec.audio.pro?

NO! Please don't do that! You can't change the subject of an existing
post, you can only post a followup and change its subject. Therefore,
you are just adding more spam. You'd be making yourself part of the
problem, not the solution.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
pnachtwey pnachtwey is offline

On Apr 20, 7:05*am, Mark wrote:
take a look over at comp.dsp...

someone / something is going through all the posts *and changing the
subject to SPAM for those posts that are *...um...spam....

that mkes it very easy for the rest of us to deal with it...

Who / what is doing this and can we do it at rec.audio.pro?

Mark

I use Google groups and I just rate the spam posts with just one
star. I also report the spam to Google groups. I don't think that
has done any good so far but it may if the whole forum reported the
spammers to Google groups.

Peter Nachtwey
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

pnachtwey wrote:
I use Google groups and I just rate the spam posts with just one
star. I also report the spam to Google groups. I don't think that
has done any good so far but it may if the whole forum reported the
spammers to Google groups.

has been about as effective as throwing your
reports into the trashcan. And it's been that way for the past decade.
Google is too busy with their search engine business to bother putting
any more labour than absolutely necessary into their Usenet division.

But at least it's better than blogspot.com, the Google operation that
doesn't even HAVE a valid abuse address.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Nil Nil is offline

On 20 Apr 2008, (Scott Dorsey) wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

But at least it's better than blogspot.com, the Google operation
that doesn't even HAVE a valid abuse address.

No, but they do have a report form that might have some effect:

http://help.blogger.com/?page=troubl...ubmit=Continue

Some of the blogspot sites that I've reported here have been shut
down, so I'd like to think google pays at least a little attention
to these reports.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

"pnachtwey" wrote [from GoogleGroups]...
I use Google groups and I just rate the spam posts with just one
star. I also report the spam to Google groups. I don't think that
has done any good so far but it may if the whole forum reported the
spammers to Google groups.

Are you all in denial that Google explicitly states that
they do NOT care about spam or other Usernet abuse,
and claim it is not their place to try to police it?

Hint for free: If you want your postings read by people
who are likely to be able to help you, recommend switching
to some alternative besides GoogleGroups as more of us
just block everything posted from Google (including @gmail).
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Richard Corfield[_2_] Richard Corfield[_2_] is offline

On 2008-04-21, Richard Corfield wrote:

Is this being done by posting route or email address?

In other words, do I get blocked because of my gmail address, or do I
pass muster posting through aioe.org with slrn?

So I've changed address, or am testing anyway. It may play havoc if the
moderated group tries to validate me again as although real it's been
antispammed.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at gmail dot com
_/ _/ _/ _/
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

"Richard Corfield" wrote ...
Richard Corfield wrote:
Is this being done by posting route or email address?

In other words, do I get blocked because of my gmail address, or do I
pass muster posting through aioe.org with slrn?

So I've changed address, or am testing anyway. It may play havoc if
the
moderated group tries to validate me again as although real it's been
antispammed.

Your mail address is no longer shown as coming from gmail.
Assume you are refering to some other (not identified)
moderated group? rec.audio.pro is not moderated nor
does it require authentication, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

On 2008-04-21, Richard Crowley wrote:

Your mail address is no longer shown as coming from gmail.
Assume you are refering to some other (not identified)
moderated group? rec.audio.pro is not moderated nor
does it require authentication, etc.

I was yes.

All I need to do now is change my "detect followups to myself" scoring
to pick up the new references entries.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at gmail dot com
_/ _/ _/ _/
_/_/ _/ _/ Time is a one way street,
_/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ except in the Twilight Zone
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Jerry Avins Jerry Avins is offline

Mark wrote:
take a look over at comp.dsp...

someone / something is going through all the posts and changing the
subject to SPAM for those posts that are ...um...spam....

that mkes it very easy for the rest of us to deal with it...

Who / what is doing this and can we do it at rec.audio.pro?

Mark

I don't see how that eases anything; the original is still there. I too
respond to those spams. I forward it to , well
knowing that Google doesn't now care. If every reader of every group the
spam goes to forwards a copy, the powers at Google might change their
policy. Who will join me in my (silent and likely lone) campaign?

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

pnachtwey wrote:
On Apr 20, 7:05 am, Mark wrote:
take a look over at comp.dsp...

someone / something is going through all the posts and changing the
subject to SPAM for those posts that are ...um...spam....

that mkes it very easy for the rest of us to deal with it...

Who / what is doing this and can we do it at rec.audio.pro?

Mark

I use Google groups and I just rate the spam posts with just one
star. I also report the spam to Google groups. I don't think that
has done any good so far but it may if the whole forum reported the
spammers to Google groups.

Peter Nachtwey

So far, It's you and me, Peter. Soon more, I hope.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Ron N. Ron N. is offline

On Apr 20, 8:13 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
wrote ...

If you want to do this, you need to do it with a google group
account. So many users are blocking everything from google, but
allowing other stuff to pass. Don't change the titles from a non-
google account.

You can't change the subject lines of existing messages.

But you can change the Subject line of a thread, as seen
by some threaded newsreaders. Thus one can filter out
the entire thread putting the Subject line in a Killfile
(using Greasemonkey on Firefox, for instance). This is
useful if a spammer has zillions of email addresses and
posting hosts at their disposal.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Apr 21, 10:59*am, Jerry Avins wrote:
Mark wrote:
take a look over at comp.dsp...

someone / something is going through all the posts *and changing the
subject to SPAM for those posts that are *...um...spam....

that mkes it very easy for the rest of us to deal with it...

Who / what is doing this and can we do it at rec.audio.pro?

Mark

I don't see how that eases anything; the original is still there. I too
respond to those spams. I forward it to , well
knowing that Google doesn't now care. If every reader of every group the
spam goes to forwards a copy, the powers at Google might change their
policy. Who will join me in my (silent and likely lone) campaign?

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Google has sunk to a new low for me.

I have exceeded my "posting limit", presumably for reporting SPAM
messages.
I haven't post any content to the group but have reported numerous
SPAMs
to the "report this message" link as well as forwarding the messages
to:

(where appropriate)
( " " )
and

I included (at least) one copy of the offending messages in the
complaint link and the forwards.

HOW could I have triggered a posting limit without actually having
posted a single message
when the SPAMMERs seem to go unabated ? ? ? ?

Google SUCKS !

Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Dave Dave is offline

On Apr 20, 10:58 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"pnachtwey" wrote [from GoogleGroups]...

I use Google groups and I just rate the spam posts with just one
star. I also report the spam to Google groups. I don't think that
has done any good so far but it may if the whole forum reported the
spammers to Google groups.

Are you all in denial that Google explicitly states that
they do NOT care about spam or other Usernet abuse,
and claim it is not their place to try to police it?

Hint for free: If you want your postings read by people
who are likely to be able to help you, recommend switching
to some alternative besides GoogleGroups as more of us
just block everything posted from Google (including @gmail).

Unfortunately my ISP stopped providing access to usenet groups.
Instead I use Google Groups for free. It isn't the way I'd like to
read the usenet forums but that is pretty much all that is left.

BTW - Just because you post through google groups does't mean you need
gmail account - all you need is a valid email account (gmail or
otherwise).

Cheers,
David
Posted to rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

Dave wrote:

Unfortunately my ISP stopped providing access to usenet groups.
Instead I use Google Groups for free. It isn't the way I'd like to
read the usenet forums but that is pretty much all that is left.

No, it certainly isn't. You can get an account with an NNTP provider
like Supernews or the like. Or you can get a shell account and read it
over a command line connection if you prefer doing that. Or you can
change ISPs.

It used to be one of the big things people looked for when selecting an
ISP was Usenet services. ISPs would advertise how many hops they were
from inhp4. Nowadays nobody cares.

BTW - Just because you post through google groups does't mean you need
gmail account - all you need is a valid email account (gmail or
otherwise).

Yes, although google will go out of their way to advertise many other services
to you as well.