Zarathustra SACD/DSD

Old May 8th 21, 09:36 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean B

Default Zarathustra SACD/DSD

Hello,

I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach) Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version for its tempo and interpretation. Has this ever been released on SACD or as a DSD file? The CD version has some very screechy strings.

Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?

Thanks,

Sean B
Old May 9th 21, 01:08 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 4:36:39 PM UTC-4, Sean B wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach) Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version for its tempo and interpretation. Has this ever been released on SACD or as a DSD file? The CD version has some very screechy strings.
>
> Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean B

______

This version moves me to tears every time I
hear it.....!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw
Old May 9th 21, 03:41 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_]

On 5/8/2021 4:36 PM, Sean B wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach) Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version for its tempo and interpretation. Has this ever been released on SACD or as a DSD file? The CD version has some very screechy strings.
>
> Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean B

OK, I'm sure this isn't what you're looking for... but ages ago I found this
awesome Bluegrass version from someone in this newsgroup.
[I seem to recall it was Mike Rivers, but may be wrong.]
Anyway, I put it in my dropbox.
~~
Dropbox link:
< https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfv21c6ybg...0bluegrass.wav >

--
==
Later...
Old May 9th 21, 07:57 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf

On 08/05/2021 9:41 pm, Ron C wrote:
> On 5/8/2021 4:36 PM, Sean B wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach)
>> Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version
>> for its tempo and interpretation.* Has this ever been released on SACD or as a
>> DSD file?* The CD version has some very screechy strings.
>>
>> Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sean B
>>

> OK, I'm sure this isn't what you're looking for... but ages ago I found this
> awesome Bluegrass version from someone in this newsgroup.
> [I seem to recall it was Mike Rivers, but may be wrong.]
> Anyway, I put it in my dropbox.
> ~~
> Dropbox link:
> < https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfv21c6ybg...0bluegrass.wav >

Too cool!! Who's playing Dobro on this?

Old May 9th 21, 12:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 8 May 2021 13:36:36 -0700 (PDT), Sean B > wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach) Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version for its tempo and interpretation. Has this ever been released on SACD or as a DSD file? The CD version has some very screechy strings.
>
>Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?

The 1954 recording by Reiner conducting Chicago Symphony is considered by many to be the standard to which others are measured.

https://www.amazon.com/Strauss-Also-.../dp/B000003FE9
Old May 10th 21, 01:14 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 7:01:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sat, 8 May 2021 13:36:36 -0700 (PDT), Sean B > wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach) Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version for its tempo and interpretation. Has this ever been released on SACD or as a DSD file? The CD version has some very screechy strings.
> >
> >Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?
> >

> The 1954 recording by Reiner conducting Chicago Symphony is considered by many to be the standard to which others are measured.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Strauss-Also-.../dp/B000003FE9

_______
I wonder if that's the version that was used in the score for '2001: A Space Odyssey'
Old May 10th 21, 01:33 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 5/8/2021 10:41 PM, Ron C wrote:
> I found this
> awesome Bluegrass version from someone in this newsgroup.
> [I seem to recall it was Mike Rivers, but may be wrong.]

Nope, it wasn't from me. Unusual, for sure.

Old May 10th 21, 03:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 10/05/2021 13:14, Chris K-Man wrote:
> On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 7:01:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:

>> The 1954 recording by Reiner conducting Chicago Symphony is considered by many to be the standard to which others are measured.
>>

> I wonder if that's the version that was used in the score for '2001: A Space Odyssey'

Not according to Imdb.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Music by Richard Strauss
Performed by Wiener Philharmoniker (uncredited)
Conducted by Herbert von Karajan (uncredited)

Kubrick and Clarke used commercial recordings for the music track, as
they had run out of money for a realm orchestral sound track. As it
happened, it worked very well.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old May 10th 21, 11:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 10:03:27 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
> On 10/05/2021 13:14, Chris K-Man wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 7:01:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:

> >> The 1954 recording by Reiner conducting Chicago Symphony is considered by many to be the standard to which others are measured.
> >>

> > I wonder if that's the version that was used in the score for '2001: A Space Odyssey'
> >

> Not according to Imdb.
>
> Thus Spoke Zarathustra
> Music by Richard Strauss
> Performed by Wiener Philharmoniker (uncredited)
> Conducted by Herbert von Karajan (uncredited)
>
> Kubrick and Clarke used commercial recordings for the music track, as
> they had run out of money for a realm orchestral sound track. As it
> happened, it worked very well.
>
> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

______

Do we have a year for that version? 1960s?
Old May 11th 21, 03:45 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_]

On 5/10/2021 8:33 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 5/8/2021 10:41 PM, Ron C wrote:
>> I found this
>> awesome Bluegrass version from someone in this newsgroup.
>> [I seem to recall it was Mike Rivers, but may be wrong.]

> Nope, it wasn't from me. Unusual, for sure.

Hmm, I'm going to have to dig deep in my archives to
find the source and details. I found that clip 20++ years
ago in a Recording Magazine extra stuff CD.
I seem to recall it was attributed to someone on
this group.
Damn, that was a while ago...
~
If/when I find more I'll post it.
--
==
Later...

SACD vs SACD or DVD Audio player Edmund[_2_] High End Audio 6 September 24th 09 09:54 PM
SACD & DSD Tiagahsong Tech 7 July 9th 07 03:56 PM
SACD AL High End Audio 8 November 24th 05 06:20 AM
SACD Chicken Legs General 2 October 23rd 04 07:51 PM
SACD + DVD-A PostLot Audio Opinions 1 June 10th 04 12:47 PM