replacing mic cables with radio mics

Old May 1st 21, 01:31 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Clayton[_2_]

Default replacing mic cables with radio mics

I'm contemplating buying a pair of radio mic circuits to replace cable
runs on remote jobs. Hopefully I can get transmitters that plug directly
into the XLR sockets in the back of the microphones. Most of my material
is small and moderate size group classical.

Your recommendations would be valued.
--
Mike
Old May 1st 21, 01:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 4/30/2021 8:31 PM, Mike Clayton wrote:
> I'm contemplating buying a pair of radio mic circuits to replace cable
> runs on remote jobs. Hopefully I can get transmitters that plug directly
> into the XLR sockets in the back of the microphones.

There's a lot more to using wireless mics than just plugging them in.
I'd suggest that you first read whatever information is available on the
web sites of the makers of pro quality wireless mics such as Sennheiser,
Lectrosonics, Audio Technica, and Shure. Get a sense of what's involved
and who makes what, and fits your budget.

Old May 1st 21, 03:33 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Clayton wrote:
================

> I'm contemplating buying a pair of radio mic circuits to replace cable
> runs on remote jobs.

** Errr - why ??

> Hopefully I can get transmitters that plug directly
> into the XLR sockets in the back of the microphones. Most of my material
> is small and moderate size group classical.

** Know of anyone who has done this successfully?

Seems fraught with problems and risks to me.

...... Phil

Old May 1st 21, 11:42 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 01/05/2021 01:31, Mike Clayton wrote:
> I'm contemplating buying a pair of radio mic circuits to replace cable
> runs on remote jobs. Hopefully I can get transmitters that plug directly
> into the XLR sockets in the back of the microphones. Most of my material
> is small and moderate size group classical.
>
> Your recommendations would be valued.

As Mike Rivers says, there is a lot more to it than just plugging in.

Analogue radio mics have a reduced dynamic range, and often use a
companding system to improve the signal to noise ration in the radio
link that may cause problems for your use.

If you are using the mics to drive a live sound reinforcement system or
a monitor mix for the conductor, digital systems will have an
unavoidable delay in the ADC/ DAC chain, as well as more delays if they
use data compression to improve the bandwidth available.

It can be done but needs care and thought, as well as experimentation
with a few different types.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old May 1st 21, 12:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Clayton > wrote:
>I'm contemplating buying a pair of radio mic circuits to replace cable
>runs on remote jobs. Hopefully I can get transmitters that plug directly
>into the XLR sockets in the back of the microphones. Most of my material
>is small and moderate size group classical.
>
>Your recommendations would be valued.

1. The Lectrosonics system is far and above anything else available.

2. The fidelity of the Lectrosonics system is not acceptable for classical
recording.

3. The device you are speaking of is called a "butt plug" transmitter.
Old May 1st 21, 01:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
=================

> >Your recommendations would be valued.

> 1. The Lectrosonics system is far and above anything else available.
>
> 2. The fidelity of the Lectrosonics system is not acceptable for classical
> recording.

** ROTFL !!!

That remark was *not* expected....

Care to elaborate a little please ??

> 3. The device you are speaking of is called a "butt plug" transmitter.

** Oooohhh - sounds painful....

....... Phil

Old May 1st 21, 03:47 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>=================
>>
>> >Your recommendations would be valued.

>> 1. The Lectrosonics system is far and above anything else available.
>>
>> 2. The fidelity of the Lectrosonics system is not acceptable for classical
>> recording.

>** ROTFL !!!
>
>That remark was *not* expected....
>
>Care to elaborate a little please ??

If I can tell the difference between the input and the output, I don't
want it in my signal chain. This is an environment where even tiny
differences in sound become evident, in part because there are few mikes
so even a low level spot mike makes a considerable contribution to the
overall sound, and in part because we have a reference point to judge
the recording against. If it doesn't sound like a real orchestra in a
real room, it's no good.

The Lectrosonics is amazingly better than the wireless systems
of the past, but it's not anywhere near as good as a cable.

There have been a couple interesting attempts at high end digital
wireless systems that sacrifice low latency for sound quality (which is
a reasonable compromise for film sound even if not for PA). None
of them have succeeded in the market, though. Most of the existing
digital systems use Apt-X compression for lowest latency.

Old May 1st 21, 07:23 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Jason[_16_]

> 1. The Lectrosonics system is far and above anything else available.

Even better now, apparently, with the April 1 release of the
"Negative Delay" feature!

https://www.lectrosonics.com/april-p...-lectrosonics-
announces-firmware-with-negative-delay-feature.html
Old May 2nd 21, 03:54 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
================

> >> 1. The Lectrosonics system is far and above anything else available.
> >>
> >> 2. The fidelity of the Lectrosonics system is not acceptable for classical
> >> recording.

> >** ROTFL !!!
> >
> >That remark was *not* expected....
> >
> >Care to elaborate a little please ??

> If I can tell the difference between the input and the output, I don't
> want it in my signal chain. This is an environment where even tiny
> differences in sound become evident, in part because there are few mikes
> so even a low level spot mike makes a considerable contribution to the
> overall sound, and in part because we have a reference point to judge
> the recording against. If it doesn't sound like a real orchestra in a
> real room, it's no good.
>
> The Lectrosonics is amazingly better than the wireless systems
> of the past, but it's not anywhere near as good as a cable.

** OK - but I was thinking of some other issues that would definitely ruin a classical recording

1. You cannot use phantom powered mics - only dynamics & batt powered electrets.

2. Typical wireless mic systems are engineered to work with vocal mics, so big signal levels coming from the mic.
Not so good with only mV or sub mV levels.

3. Even with diversity receivers, RF level drops and brief noise bursts are common.
Just one of them and you have to start all over.

4. RF interference from other wireless mics, broadcast TV and data signals can cause the same as above.

Not worth it, for just a bit of convenience.

...... Phil

Old May 2nd 21, 04:50 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 10:54:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
> ================

> > >** ROTFL !!!
> > >
> > >That remark was *not* expected....
> > >
> > >Care to elaborate a little please ??

> > If I can tell the difference between the input and the output, I don't
> > want it in my signal chain. This is an environment where even tiny
> > differences in sound become evident, in part because there are few mikes
> > so even a low level spot mike makes a considerable contribution to the
> > overall sound, and in part because we have a reference point to judge
> > the recording against. If it doesn't sound like a real orchestra in a
> > real room, it's no good.
> >
> > The Lectrosonics is amazingly better than the wireless systems
> > of the past, but it's not anywhere near as good as a cable.
> >

> ** OK - but I was thinking of some other issues that would definitely ruin a classical recording
>
> 1. You cannot use phantom powered mics - only dynamics & batt powered electrets.
>
> 2. Typical wireless mic systems are engineered to work with vocal mics, so big signal levels coming from the mic.
> Not so good with only mV or sub mV levels.
>
> 3. Even with diversity receivers, RF level drops and brief noise bursts are common.
> Just one of them and you have to start all over.
>
> 4. RF interference from other wireless mics, broadcast TV and data signals can cause the same as above.
>
> Not worth it, for just a bit of convenience.
>

> ..... Phil

_______

I'm chuckling at the thought of a burst of audio from 'General
Hospital' being recorded in the middle of someone's precious
violin quartet!