4-track cassette deck recordings

Old April 14th 21, 01:08 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah[_6_]

Default 4-track cassette deck recordings

I saved up for an eternity when I was a kid and bought a Yamaha MT1X. I studied
its operation and poured over the block diagram until I understood exactly
what it could do.

I made few recordings with it that were of any note, and none survive.

Does anyone have any examples of interesting recordings that were
made with a similar deck?

One trick I learned was to boost the treble on the way in,
and cut it on the way out. It was an effective noise reduction
technique as the net signal would be mostly unchanged, but the
audible tape hiss would be reduced in the high-cut.

Old April 14th 21, 05:52 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 14/04/2021 12:08 pm, Tobiah wrote:
> I saved up for an eternity when I was a kid and bought a Yamaha MT1X.* I
> studied
> its operation and poured over the block diagram until I understood exactly
> what it could do.
>
> I made few recordings with it that were of any note, and none survive.
>
> Does anyone have any examples of interesting recordings that were
> made with a similar deck?
>
> One trick I learned was to boost the treble on the way in,
> and cut it on the way out.* It was an effective noise reduction
> technique as the net signal would be mostly unchanged, but the
> audible tape hiss would be reduced in the high-cut.

A bit like a Dolbying the DBX then....

Old April 16th 21, 10:11 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...

I saved up for an eternity when I was a kid and bought a Yamaha MT1X. I
studied
its operation and poured over the block diagram until I understood exactly
what it could do.

I made few recordings with it that were of any note, and none survive.

Does anyone have any examples of interesting recordings that were
made with a similar deck?

Well, I don't know if I'd call this interesting, and I'm sort of embarrassed
to post this due to the obvious mistakes, bad quality, and numerous
plosives, but here goes.
http://sonicmusic.net/I'm_Mad.mp3

Recorded back in the late 70s on a Tascam Portastudio 244 using a Roland
TR606 drum machine, G&L F100 series II guitar, Minimoog bass, Fender Rhodes
and a Prophet~5 (used as an attempt to fortify a weak drum track).
I had my wallet stolen at work and wrote/recorded this song when I got home.
A very far cry from my progressive rock roots, but this was the only thing I
have left of the portastudio recordings. Too many years, too many moves.

(ducking from thrown debris) Poly

Old April 17th 21, 01:38 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 17/04/2021 9:11 am, polymod wrote:

> Well, I don't know if I'd call this interesting, and I'm sort of
> embarrassed to post this due to the obvious mistakes, bad quality, and
> numerous plosives, but here goes.
> http://sonicmusic.net/I'm_Mad.mp3
>
> Recorded back in the late 70s on a Tascam Portastudio 244 using a Roland
> TR606 drum machine, G&L F100 series II guitar, Minimoog bass, Fender
> Rhodes and a Prophet~5 (used as an attempt to fortify a weak drum track).
> I had my wallet stolen at work and wrote/recorded this song when I got
> home.
> A very far cry from my progressive rock roots, but this was the only
> thing I have left of the portastudio recordings. Too many years, too
> many moves.
>

> (ducking from thrown debris) Poly

Nothing to apologise/duck for . A nice little 'rip it up' track.

Old April 17th 21, 04:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"geoff" wrote in message

On 17/04/2021 9:11 am, polymod wrote:

> Well, I don't know if I'd call this interesting, and I'm sort of
> embarrassed to post this due to the obvious mistakes, bad quality, and
> numerous plosives, but here goes.
> http://sonicmusic.net/I'm_Mad.mp3
>
> Recorded back in the late 70s on a Tascam Portastudio 244 using a Roland
> TR606 drum machine, G&L F100 series II guitar, Minimoog bass, Fender
> Rhodes and a Prophet~5 (used as an attempt to fortify a weak drum track).
> I had my wallet stolen at work and wrote/recorded this song when I got
> home.
> A very far cry from my progressive rock roots, but this was the only thing
> I have left of the portastudio recordings. Too many years, too many moves.
>

> (ducking from thrown debris) Poly

Nothing to apologise/duck for . A nice little 'rip it up' track.

Whew.....thanks man!

Poly

Old April 17th 21, 09:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Joseph[_10_]

On Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 8:30:03 AM UTC-7, polymod wrote:
> "geoff" wrote in message
> On 17/04/2021 9:11 am, polymod wrote:
> >

> > Well, I don't know if I'd call this interesting, and I'm sort of
> > embarrassed to post this due to the obvious mistakes, bad quality, and
> > numerous plosives, but here goes.
> > http://sonicmusic.net/I'm_Mad.mp3
> >
> > Recorded back in the late 70s on a Tascam Portastudio 244 using a Roland
> > TR606 drum machine, G&L F100 series II guitar, Minimoog bass, Fender
> > Rhodes and a Prophet~5 (used as an attempt to fortify a weak drum track).
> > I had my wallet stolen at work and wrote/recorded this song when I got
> > home.
> > A very far cry from my progressive rock roots, but this was the only thing
> > I have left of the portastudio recordings. Too many years, too many moves.
> >

> > (ducking from thrown debris) Poly
> >

> Nothing to apologise/duck for . A nice little 'rip it up' track.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Whew.....thanks man!
> Poly
>

> --

Very cool. Thanks for sharing it!
Old April 18th 21, 02:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 5:11:31 PM UTC-4, polymod wrote:
> "Tobiah" wrote in message ...
> I saved up for an eternity when I was a kid and bought a Yamaha MT1X. I
> studied
> its operation and poured over the block diagram until I understood exactly
> what it could do.
>
> I made few recordings with it that were of any note, and none survive.
>
> Does anyone have any examples of interesting recordings that were
> made with a similar deck?
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Well, I don't know if I'd call this interesting, and I'm sort of embarrassed
> to post this due to the obvious mistakes, bad quality, and numerous
> plosives, but here goes.
> http://sonicmusic.net/I'm_Mad.mp3
>
> Recorded back in the late 70s on a Tascam Portastudio 244 using a Roland
> TR606 drum machine, G&L F100 series II guitar, Minimoog bass, Fender Rhodes
> and a Prophet~5 (used as an attempt to fortify a weak drum track).
> I had my wallet stolen at work and wrote/recorded this song when I got home.
> A very far cry from my progressive rock roots, but this was the only thing I
> have left of the portastudio recordings. Too many years, too many moves.
>

> (ducking from thrown debris) Poly
>

> --

Very clean and open sound! Not slammed to the walls as it seems required nowadays
Old April 18th 21, 06:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"Joseph" wrote in message

On Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 8:30:03 AM UTC-7, polymod wrote:
> "geoff" wrote in message
> On 17/04/2021 9:11 am, polymod wrote:
> >

> > Well, I don't know if I'd call this interesting, and I'm sort of
> > embarrassed to post this due to the obvious mistakes, bad quality, and
> > numerous plosives, but here goes.
> > http://sonicmusic.net/I'm_Mad.mp3
> >
> > Recorded back in the late 70s on a Tascam Portastudio 244 using a Roland
> > TR606 drum machine, G&L F100 series II guitar, Minimoog bass, Fender
> > Rhodes and a Prophet~5 (used as an attempt to fortify a weak drum
> > track).
> > I had my wallet stolen at work and wrote/recorded this song when I got
> > home.
> > A very far cry from my progressive rock roots, but this was the only
> > thing
> > I have left of the portastudio recordings. Too many years, too many
> > moves.
> >

> > (ducking from thrown debris) Poly
> >

> Nothing to apologise/duck for . A nice little 'rip it up' track.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Whew.....thanks man!
> Poly
>

> --

Very cool. Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks!

Poly

Old April 18th 21, 06:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"Chris K-Man" wrote in message

On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 5:11:31 PM UTC-4, polymod wrote:
> "Tobiah" wrote in message ...
> I saved up for an eternity when I was a kid and bought a Yamaha MT1X. I
> studied
> its operation and poured over the block diagram until I understood exactly
> what it could do.
>
> I made few recordings with it that were of any note, and none survive.
>
> Does anyone have any examples of interesting recordings that were
> made with a similar deck?
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Well, I don't know if I'd call this interesting, and I'm sort of
> embarrassed
> to post this due to the obvious mistakes, bad quality, and numerous
> plosives, but here goes.
> http://sonicmusic.net/I'm_Mad.mp3
>
> Recorded back in the late 70s on a Tascam Portastudio 244 using a Roland
> TR606 drum machine, G&L F100 series II guitar, Minimoog bass, Fender
> Rhodes
> and a Prophet~5 (used as an attempt to fortify a weak drum track).
> I had my wallet stolen at work and wrote/recorded this song when I got
> home.
> A very far cry from my progressive rock roots, but this was the only thing
> have left of the portastudio recordings. Too many years, too many moves.
>

> (ducking from thrown debris) Poly
>

> --

Very clean and open sound! Not slammed to the walls as it seems
required nowadays

Considering it was recorded on a cassette, then mixed to a cassette, and sat
in a drawer for over 40 years, it's a wonder there's any fidelity at all ;-)
Thank you.

Poly

Old April 18th 21, 08:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 1:03:57 PM UTC-4, polymod wrote:
> "Chris K-Man" wrote in message
> On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 5:11:31 PM UTC-4, polymod wrote:
> > "Tobiah" wrote in message ...
> > I saved up for an eternity when I was a kid and bought a Yamaha MT1X. I
> > studied
> > its operation and poured over the block diagram until I understood exactly
> > what it could do.
> >
> > I made few recordings with it that were of any note, and none survive.
> >
> > Does anyone have any examples of interesting recordings that were
> > made with a similar deck?
> > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> > Well, I don't know if I'd call this interesting, and I'm sort of
> > embarrassed
> > to post this due to the obvious mistakes, bad quality, and numerous
> > plosives, but here goes.
> > http://sonicmusic.net/I'm_Mad.mp3
> >
> > Recorded back in the late 70s on a Tascam Portastudio 244 using a Roland
> > TR606 drum machine, G&L F100 series II guitar, Minimoog bass, Fender
> > Rhodes
> > and a Prophet~5 (used as an attempt to fortify a weak drum track).
> > I had my wallet stolen at work and wrote/recorded this song when I got
> > home.
> > A very far cry from my progressive rock roots, but this was the only thing
> > have left of the portastudio recordings. Too many years, too many moves.
> >

> > (ducking from thrown debris) Poly
> >

> > --

> Very clean and open sound! Not slammed to the walls as it seems
> required nowadays
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

> Considering it was recorded on a cassette, then mixed to a cassette, and sat
> in a drawer for over 40 years, it's a wonder there's any fidelity at all ;-)
> Thank you.
>
> Poly

_______

Not really a wonder.

If more recent releases were mastered with the same care that
you stored your cassettes, they'd sound just as good!