Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck[_2_] Peter Wieck[_2_] is offline

Default Lies, Damn Lies, and Global Warming

Western Electric is still making tubes, in the US.

https://www.westernelectric.com/

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 2020-10-06 07:02, Peter Wieck wrote:
Western Electric is still making tubes, in the US.

https://www.westernelectric.com/

yeah, I can just quote the claims on their web site. Maybe
westernelectric doesn't make "small glass tubes" any more??

In any case, it's nice to see more than one tube-maker still out there.
I should write both of them and find out what it costs to engineer a
prototype tube... [I've got some really good ideas].

If I were to get a provisional patent, I'd have about a year or so to
come up with an actual working device. I think I have something
relevant to very high voltage rectifier tubes [million volt power
supplies] and a very modern reason to have that kind of clean posiive DC
voltage available (negative volts could be directly heated, too easy).

And to do that you need a rectifier capable of having a 2 million volt
difference between plate and cathode, and the cathode needs to be on the
output (i.e. a positive 1 million volts).

(control is easy, I've done switching power supply designs with a
microcontroller, and it would drive a flyback circuit and anticipate
voltage fluctuations, etc.).

There are also other interesting things that tubes could do. As one
example, it's likely (in my opinion) that spinning a charged gas in an
EM field (think magnetron) could generate graviton particles. And so
on. Yeah I still need to build one to prove it. Mercury vapor? Quite
possibly!

So "obsoleting" the technology, or (worse) using environmental
regulations to drive tube making to ONLY places outside of the USA,
would be a HUGE mistake.