rm

Default soundtracs solo midi tape in/out ?

Does anyone know if both the tape ins and tape outs are +4 balanced?
I read that the tape ins were +4 balanced but the tape outs were +4
unbalanced. Is this information correct? Thank you in advance for any
help you can provide.
rm

Thanks for the response! Could you explain the logic behind this configuration?
I'm sure the answer is obvious, but I just don't understand it.
James Perrett

rm wrote:

Thanks for the response! Could you explain the logic behind this configuration?
I'm sure the answer is obvious, but I just don't understand it.

Most of the interference rejection in a balanced system is down to the
common mode rejection of the receiver. With the right wiring
configuration you can obtain most of the advantages of balanced
operation by feeding an unbalanced output into a balanced input.

These consoles were made when op-amps were more expensive so adding an
extra op-amp or two to each channel would push the manufacturing costs
up too much.

Cheers.

James.

rm

Thanks so much for all the information! Could someone tell me how one would
connect these +4 unbalanced tape outs to balanced ins on a recorder?
Chris Hornbeck

On 30 Jun 2004 21:49:33 -0700, (rm) wrote:

Thanks so much for all the information! Could someone tell me how one would
connect these +4 unbalanced tape outs to balanced ins on a recorder?

The faq at:

http://www.recaudiopro.net/faq/

is particularly good at this question. See section 3.6.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
rm

The faq at:

http://www.recaudiopro.net/faq/

is particularly good at this question. See section 3.6.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck

Thanks again! I feel pretty foolish for not noticing the faq.
Roger W. Norman

Will's post got me to thinking, so I reached for my Solo manual, grabbed out
the addendum, and it said

"Please not that an error in the operating manual states that the tape
inputs and outputs are set for +4dBu. This is INCORRECT. The tape inputs
and outputs have been set to -10 dBv."

So, however that works out, if you thought you'd have to change 48+ jumpers
(after a particularly harrowing experience of opening up the console and
taking boards out), then, surprise. It's already set to -10 dBv and if
that's what you want, you already have it.

Personally, I've found it easier to yank the couple of jumpers on my
Tango24s than to go through the hassles of opening up my Solo.

One of these days.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"rm" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know if both the tape ins and tape outs are +4 balanced?
I read that the tape ins were +4 balanced but the tape outs were +4
unbalanced. Is this information correct? Thank you in advance for any
help you can provide.

rm

So, however that works out, if you thought you'd have to change 48+ jumpers
(after a particularly harrowing experience of opening up the console and
taking boards out), then, surprise. It's already set to -10 dBv and if
that's what you want, you already have it.

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Thanks for the unfortunate news. Sadly, I need them to be +4.