Posted to rec.audio.tech
Will Will is offline

Default External sound card

Am about to embark on a project to convert about 50 of my dad's cassette
tapes to CDs. Converted a few LPs to CD several years ago, so I've got the
basics down okay.

My challenge this time around is that I need to drop the output of my
cassette deck to my laptop has there's no way my wife will let me
disassemble the stereo set up so I can position the cassette deck next to my
desktop computer. This'll be a few weeks' worth of work, if not more....
I'll do the "clean-up" and CD-burning on my desktop.

Sooooo... am thinking that an external sound card may be in order as I've
read that integrated sound cards on laptops leave much to be desired for
this particular task. Will test this theory out shortly.

In the meantime, any thoughts wrt decent USB (preferably USB-powered) sound
cards for this project?

-Will

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Will" wrote ...
Am about to embark on a project to convert about 50 of my dad's cassette
tapes to CDs. Converted a few LPs to CD several years ago, so I've got
the basics down okay.

My challenge this time around is that I need to drop the output of my
cassette deck to my laptop has there's no way my wife will let me
disassemble the stereo set up so I can position the cassette deck next to
my desktop computer. This'll be a few weeks' worth of work, if not
more.... I'll do the "clean-up" and CD-burning on my desktop.

Sooooo... am thinking that an external sound card may be in order as I've
read that integrated sound cards on laptops leave much to be desired for
this particular task. Will test this theory out shortly.

Integrated sound cards on laptops tend to have only mono mic-level
inputs. OTOH if these tapes are simple speech transcriptions, a typical
mono mic-level input would likely be adequate.

In the meantime, any thoughts wrt decent USB (preferably USB-powered)
sound cards for this project?

Behringer UCA202 would likely be more than adequate for the task.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler[_2_] PanHandler[_2_] is offline

"Will" wrote in message
Am about to embark on a project to convert about 50 of my dad's cassette
tapes to CDs. Converted a few LPs to CD several years ago, so I've got
the basics down okay.

My challenge this time around is that I need to drop the output of my
cassette deck to my laptop has there's no way my wife will let me
disassemble the stereo set up so I can position the cassette deck next to
my desktop computer. This'll be a few weeks' worth of work, if not
more.... I'll do the "clean-up" and CD-burning on my desktop.

Sooooo... am thinking that an external sound card may be in order as I've
read that integrated sound cards on laptops leave much to be desired for
this particular task. Will test this theory out shortly.

In the meantime, any thoughts wrt decent USB (preferably USB-powered)
sound cards for this project?

I've had a Creative Extigy for about 6 years, no problems whatsoever. I've
probably ripped over 500 tape and vinyl recordings with no trouble. It runs
all day every day, powers up with the computer and I barely ever give it a
thought.
http://images.vnunet.com/v7_images/h...creative23.jpg

Don't know anything about the seller, but here's one on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Creative-Labs-Ex...QQcmdZViewItem

Joe Arnold

Posted to rec.audio.tech
WindsorFox[_4_] WindsorFox[_4_] is offline

Will wrote:
Am about to embark on a project to convert about 50 of my dad's cassette
tapes to CDs. Converted a few LPs to CD several years ago, so I've got the
basics down okay.

My challenge this time around is that I need to drop the output of my
cassette deck to my laptop has there's no way my wife will let me
disassemble the stereo set up so I can position the cassette deck next to my
desktop computer. This'll be a few weeks' worth of work, if not more....
I'll do the "clean-up" and CD-burning on my desktop.

Sooooo... am thinking that an external sound card may be in order as I've
read that integrated sound cards on laptops leave much to be desired for
this particular task. Will test this theory out shortly.

In the meantime, any thoughts wrt decent USB (preferably USB-powered) sound
cards for this project?

-Will

http://www.turtlebeach.com/ has 3 external cards, the top one
supports up to 7.1 Dolby. They work very nicely and sound pretty good.
Better that what you will retrieve from a cassette most likely anyway.

--

I have never seen a computer infected by botnet.
How it is like? - Lemat

They sneeze bits all over teh internets. - Rev. Beergoggles
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Will wrote:

Am about to embark on a project to convert about 50 of my dad's cassette
tapes to CDs. Converted a few LPs to CD several years ago, so I've got the
basics down okay.

My challenge this time around is that I need to drop the output of my
cassette deck to my laptop has there's no way my wife will let me
disassemble the stereo set up so I can position the cassette deck next to my
desktop computer. This'll be a few weeks' worth of work, if not more....
I'll do the "clean-up" and CD-burning on my desktop.

So buy another tape deck. They are plentiful on the used market, even
tossed out as junk. You should be able to find a good selection of used
tape decks at $10 or less. People don't want them. Then you can keep it
near the desk computer, and work on it as needed.

Michael

Sooooo... am thinking that an external sound card may be in order as I've
read that integrated sound cards on laptops leave much to be desired for
this particular task. Will test this theory out shortly.

In the meantime, any thoughts wrt decent USB (preferably USB-powered) sound
cards for this project?

-Will

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Leo Marx Leo Marx is offline

Will wrote:

Am about to embark on a project to convert about 50 of my dad's cassette
tapes to CDs. Converted a few LPs to CD several years ago, so I've got the
basics down okay.

My challenge this time around is that I need to drop the output of my
cassette deck to my laptop has there's no way my wife will let me
disassemble the stereo set up so I can position the cassette deck next to my
desktop computer. This'll be a few weeks' worth of work, if not more....
I'll do the "clean-up" and CD-burning on my desktop.

Sooooo... am thinking that an external sound card may be in order as I've
read that integrated sound cards on laptops leave much to be desired for
this particular task. Will test this theory out shortly.

In the meantime, any thoughts wrt decent USB (preferably USB-powered) sound
cards for this project?

-Will

This is what I use. It can be used with a turntable or any other audio
device.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381598-REG/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/438777-REG/

JAM