Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default toopid's 'intellectual' clique

On Mar 13, 9:00 pm, George M. Middius cmndr _ george @ comcast .
net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

Trivia: Can you name the only two six-star "General of the Armies" in
US history, and the one general who turned that promotion down?

No idea. Wild guess: Pershing.

Bingo. And George Washington.

MacArthur turned it down, Due to retirement considerations,

As toopid would say, "RIP!"

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Mar 14, 1:11 am, Jenn wrote:
In article . com,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

On Mar 13, 8:16 pm, George M. Middius cmndr _ george @ comcast .
net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

You can rest assured that none of *those* elephants will be serving
[in] the
U.S. Army.
Let's see if the Army follows its "reject-recruit-reject" history.
There's a new discussion underway to allow gays in the military.

One Senator said the Army is wasting tons of money with their witch-hunts.
Another Senator said the scale of the waste is being exaggerated because
some straight people are saying they're Gay just to get tossed out. And
then
there's Lt. Gen. Homophobe, who said yesterday that many "moral" homophobes
(like himself) would object to being in the same room with "immoral" homos.
God bless the military!

BTW, why does a Lt. Gen. outrank a Maj. Gen.? It's the reverse of regular
majors and lieutenants. I'm mystified.

Back in the day, there were only brigadier and major generals. I'm not
sure why, when three-star generals appeared in the US Army during the
Civil War, they were called lieutenant generals. Perhaps it was a what
other nations called their three-star generals.

Some countries, including Germany and France (I think), have had
"Colonel Generals." I think Alfred Jodl was one.

Trivia: Can you name the only two six-star "General of the Armies" in
US history,

I knew this at one time.... Washington and Pershing?

and the one general who turned that promotion down?

IIRC, MacArthur.

Not bad for broad... LOL!:-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On 14 Mar 2007 00:31:03 -0700, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:

I knew this at one time.... Washington and Pershing?

and the one general who turned that promotion down?

IIRC, MacArthur.

Not bad for broad... LOL!:-)

She's not supposed to know stuff like that. We should have an
investigation.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

George M. Middius a scris:
paul packer said:

Who'd a thunk that elephants could be so damned *immoral*?

I think something should be done about it.

You can rest assured that none of *those* elephants will be serving the
U.S. Army.

well, if they can keep their mouths shut....they can.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

[...]

When I was a little kid, we had no books in the house other than an old
Encyclopedia Britannica set that a neighbor gave us. My parents taught
me to read using it, and until my early teens, it was pretty much all
that I read. Probably due to that, my head has always been stuffed with
facts and figures from the 1950s. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

On Mar 14, 6:34 am, "Clyde Slick" wrote:
George M. Middius a scris:

paul packer said:

Who'd a thunk thatelephantscould be so damned *immoral*?

I think something should be done about it.

You can rest assured that none of *those*elephantswill be serving the
U.S. Army.

well, if they can keep their mouthsshut they can.

IOW, if they lie, they can serve.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Jenn said:

You can rest assured that none of *those* elephants will be serving the
U.S. Army.

well, if they can keep their mouthsshut they can.

IOW, if they lie, they can serve.

They also have to be willing to kill the enemy, who are not people.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

[...]

How did music enter into this picture? Just curious.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

[...]

When I was aged 5-8, my parents gathered with friends every Friday and
Saturday night at an Italian restaurant/country western dance joint in
the then tiny little town of Vista, CA. They had a live band, and while
my parents socialized, I sat on the edge of the bandstand and stared up
at the players, enthralled. When I was 8, one of the guitarists (a
Marine stationed at nearby Camp Pendleton) was transfered cross county.
While packing and deciding to get rid of some things, he came across an
old Sears Silvertone hollow body electric guitar. He gave it to me
because I was obviously so interested. That changed my life. I taught
myself to play by watching players on TV (especially Chet Atkins), as
there was no money for lessons. I played for my 7th grade music
appreciation class, and the teacher was also the school's instrumental
conductor. He told me that I had talent and that he would check out a
trombone to me, and if I worked on it the rest of the school year, I
could be in band the following year. So I taught myself that instrument
with the aid of a book he gave me, and my life was further changed. I
fell in love with classical music. I conducted the JHS band on a
concert in 9th grade and instantly knew that this is what I wanted to do
for the rest of my life. Tonight in concert I'll conduct Mendelssohn,
Vaughan Williams, Persichetti, Grainger, and Sousa. Last night I played
contemporary fingerstyle guitar (Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, John
Denver, PP&M, etc.) at a local coffeehouse. I'm a very happy camper.
:-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Jenn" wrote in message

net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

[...]

Neat story. Neat life decision. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
com

net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

[...]

Thanks. It shows how kind acts and teachers can affect people so
profoundly. What if I hadn't been given that guitar? What if I hadn't
played for that class and received the notice of the music teacher?
What if Frederick Fennell hadn't taken notice of my work and taken me
under his wing? What if that music class hadn't been offered at my JHS?
I know that we can all look back as ask those kind of questions. In an
effort to "pay it forward" I play a guitar concert at that JHS every
year, and I give free trombone lessons at an elementary school here
locally.

By the way, from that same JHS band came Gary Pucket (a few years before
me; I later played a few dates with him), a musicologist now on the
faculty at UConn, an early music specialist now on the faculty at U of
Illinois, 2nd trumpet in the Maynard Ferguson Band, and the principal
tubist of the USMC "President's Own" Band in Washington D.C. Quite a
teacher and quite a group!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Jenn" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
com
In article . com,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

[...]

I'll say!

I don't know of others pushed forward like that by my teachers (but maybe
I'll find out later this year at my 50th HS reunion) but I do know my HS
choral director and my church choral director are the people who pushed me
beyond "just singing" to a real appreciation for classical music, which led
me to Oberlin, which led me to my lifelong friends and ongoing involvement
in chamber music, etc etc.

I consider the lack of music education and that kind of transforming
experience in many of our schools as a tragic loss.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

paul packer said:

Who'd a thunk thatelephantscould be so damned *immoral*?

I think something should be done about it.

You can rest assured that none of *those*elephantswill be serving the
U.S. Army.

well, if they can keep their mouthsshut they can.

IOW, if they lie, they can serve.

It;s not a lie, Jenn. As GEN Peter Pace implied, homosexual acts are
only immoral if you know about them.

Therefore, the gays serving in the military are just being moral.:-(

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

[...]

OK then, what was Elvis Presley's maiden aunt's middle name?

Yeah, thought so.... :-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Jenn a scris:

paul packer said:

Who'd a thunk thatelephantscould be so damned *immoral*?

I think something should be done about it.

You can rest assured that none of *those*elephantswill be serving the
U.S. Army.

well, if they can keep their mouthsshut they can.

IOW, if they lie, they can serve.

i thought they weren't asked.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Jenn a scris:

I conducted the JHS band on a
concert in 9th grade and instantly knew that this is what I wanted to do
for the rest of my life.

I conducted the band and orchestra in high school, It was
exhilerating. It brought me calm and inner serenity. but I never took
conducing any further

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! a scris:

I would say possibly the elephant, but there is a big problem with
this (pay attention, Clyde):

"African, as well as Asiatic males will engage in same-sex bonding and
mounting. Such encounters are often associated with affectionate
interactions such as kissing, trunk intertwining or placing trunks in
each other's mouth. The encounters are analogous to heterosexual
bouts, one male often extending his trunk along the other's back and
pushing forward with his tusks to signify his intention to mount.
Unlike heterosexual relations, which are always of a fleeting nature,
often males will form a "companionship" consisting of an older
individual and one or two younger attendant males. Same sex relations
are common and frequent in both sexes, with Asiatic elephants in
captivity devoting roughly 45% of sexual encounters to same-sex
activity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant#Social_behavior

That is *definitely* not conservative behavior. One wonders if the
republicans truly researched their symbol very thoroughly.

And one wonders about the "Natural Mode" of things that Clyde hangs
his hat on... LOL!

What would Darwin say? And why did god make them that way 5,000 years
ago if he's so opposed to that behavior? Who'd a thunk that elephants
could be so damned *immoral*?

I feel sorry for elephants. It must cost them
a fortune for engagement rings.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Harry Lavo a scris:

I consider the lack of music education and that kind of transforming
experience in many of our schools as a tragic loss.

much agreed.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Jenn a scris:

paul packer said:

Who'd a thunk thatelephantscould be so damned *immoral*?

I think something should be done about it.

You can rest assured that none of *those*elephantswill be serving the
U.S. Army.

well, if they can keep their mouthsshut they can.

IOW, if they lie, they can serve.

i thought they weren't asked.

They don't have to be asked to be found out.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Mar 15, 8:11 am, "Clyde Slick" wrote:
[...]

So is this a "natural mode" for elephants, or did the liberals somehow
corrupt them?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[...]

It's Clinton's fault, of course.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Shhhh! said:

I feel sorry for elephants. It must cost them
a fortune for engagement rings.

So is this a "natural mode" for elephants, or did the liberals somehow
corrupt them?

Elephants wouldn't have this "problem" if they would just study their
goddamned bibles.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Mar 15, 11:01 am, Jenn wrote:

Jenn a scris:

paul packer said:

Who'd a thunk thatelephantscould be so damned *immoral*?

I think something should be done about it.

You can rest assured that none of *those*elephantswill be serving the
U.S. Army.

well, if they can keep their mouthsshut they can.

IOW, if they lie, they can serve.

i thought they weren't asked.

They don't have to be asked to be found out.

And they don't have to be asked to be forced into lying.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! a scris:
On Mar 15, 8:11 am, "Clyde Slick" wrote:
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! a scris:

I feel sorry for elephants. It must cost them
a fortune for engagement rings.

So is this a "natural mode" for elephants, or did the liberals somehow
corrupt them?

No, marriage of any sort is not a natural mode for elephants

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Jenn a scris:
In article .com,

Jenn a scris:

paul packer said:

Who'd a thunk thatelephantscould be so damned *immoral*?

I think something should be done about it.

You can rest assured that none of *those*elephantswill be serving the
U.S. Army.

well, if they can keep their mouthsshut they can.

IOW, if they lie, they can serve.

i thought they weren't asked.

They don't have to be asked to be found out.

irrelevant to your comment about them having to lie.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Shhhh! said:

I feel sorry for elephants. It must cost them
a fortune for engagement rings.

So is this a "natural mode" for elephants, or did the liberals somehow
corrupt them?

Elephants wouldn't have this "problem" if they would just study their
goddamned bibles.

The Dumbo Testament
or the Babar Testament?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Mar 15, 5:21 pm, "Clyde Slick" wrote:
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! a scris:

On Mar 15, 8:11 am, "Clyde Slick" wrote:
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! a scris:

I feel sorry for elephants. It must cost them
a fortune for engagement rings.

So is this a "natural mode" for elephants, or did the liberals somehow
corrupt them?

No, marriage of any sort is not a natural mode for elephants

Nor is it a natural mode for humans. But this is a very nice attempt
at deflecting the question.

I'm sorry that your "natural mode" argument does not stand up to
scrutiny. It's probably best at this point to fall back on a religious
argument. You can't argue those.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Mar 15, 5:23 pm, "Clyde Slick" wrote:
Jenn a scris:

Jenn a scris:

paul packer said:

Who'd a thunk thatelephantscould be so damned *immoral*?

I think something should be done about it.

You can rest assured that none of *those*elephantswill be serving the
U.S. Army.

well, if they can keep their mouthsshut they can.

IOW, if they lie, they can serve.

i thought they weren't asked.

They don't have to be asked to be found out.

irrelevant to your comment about them having to lie.

The simple fact that they cannot tell the truth forces them into a
lie. They have to live a lie, 24/7.

Consider, for example, if you were not allowed to discuss your spouse,
your marital status, or people you were dating at work, but others
were.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article . com,
"Clyde Slick" wrote:

Jenn a scris:

Jenn a scris:

paul packer said:

Who'd a thunk thatelephantscould be so damned *immoral*?

I think something should be done about it.

You can rest assured that none of *those*elephantswill be serving
the
U.S. Army.

well, if they can keep their mouthsshut they can.

IOW, if they lie, they can serve.

i thought they weren't asked.

They don't have to be asked to be found out.

irrelevant to your comment about them having to lie.

No, totally relevant. Think about all of the times in conversation with
peers or supervisors that the subject of significant others comes up,
for example. Or "Hey Bob, don't you think that Diane is a babe?"

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Shhhh! said:

Consider, for example, if you were not allowed to discuss your spouse,
your marital status, or people you were dating at work, but others were.

Clyde has already expressed his approval of the military's
institutionalized homophobia.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Mar 15, 8:04 pm, George M. Middius cmndr _ george @ comcast .
net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

Consider, for example, if you were not allowed to discuss your spouse,
your marital status, or people you were dating at work, but others were.

Clyde has already expressed his approval of the military's
institutionalized homophobia.

No doubt in reference to the psuedoscientific "natural mode" argument.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! a scris:

The simple fact that they cannot tell the truth forces them into a
lie. They have to live a lie, 24/7.

Consider, for example, if you were not allowed to discuss your spouse,
your marital status, or people you were dating at work, but others
were.

right, they have to be circumspect, but
that is not lying.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Shhhh! said:

Consider, for example, if you were not allowed to discuss your spouse,
your marital status, or people you were dating at work, but others were.

Clyde has already expressed his approval of the military's
institutionalized homophobia.

actually, i am undecided about gays in the military.
i would like to see it, but only
if it doesn't interfere with military performance.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

Consider, for example, if you were not allowed to discuss your spouse,
your marital status, or people you were dating at work, but others were.

Clyde has already expressed his approval of the military's
institutionalized homophobia.

No doubt in reference to the psuedoscientific "natural mode" argument.

the 'natural mode" in regarding defending one's
home is not sexual in nature. the question is, how does it impact our
military's abilities.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! a scris:

No, marriage of any sort is not a natural mode for elephants

Nor is it a natural mode for humans.

those few societies thta have foregone marriage have wandered
down anthropological dead ends.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Clyde Slick said:

Clyde has already expressed his approval of the military's
institutionalized homophobia.

actually, i am undecided about gays in the military.
i would like to see it, but only
if it doesn't interfere with military performance.

Thank you for making my point, you ignorant slut.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

net wrote:
Shhhh! said:

Consider, for example, if you were not allowed to discuss your spouse,
your marital status, or people you were dating at work, but others were.

Clyde has already expressed his approval of the military's
institutionalized homophobia.

No doubt in reference to the psuedoscientific "natural mode" argument.

the 'natural mode" in regarding defending one's
home is not sexual in nature. the question is, how does it impact our
military's abilities.

Then one should look to the militaries of other nations that allow
gays to serve to see how they have been impacted. There is no shortage
of other nations that allow gays to serve. The answer is, they haven't
in any way negatively impacted those militaries.

I suppose you are going to drag out the old "unit cohesion" argument
now? Perhaps they should have gay battalions like they did with
blacks, back when they were afraid that integrating blacks into the
military would affect "unit cohesion."

Why don't you just admit that you don't like gays and get it out in
the open? You'll feel much better. You can openly call them names and
**** then. You won't have to dance around so much.

Oh. I forgot. You already have.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Mar 16, 5:56 am, "Clyde Slick" wrote:
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! a scris:

The simple fact that they cannot tell the truth forces them into a
lie. They have to live a lie, 24/7.

Consider, for example, if you were not allowed to discuss your spouse,
your marital status, or people you were dating at work, but others
were.

right, they have to be circumspect, but
that is not lying.

It's funny. I already know you won't understand something before I
post it.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! a scris:

Why don't you just admit that you don't like gays and get it out in
the open? You'll feel much better. You can openly call them names and
**** then. You won't have to dance around so much.

I neither like nor dislike them, as a group.
Same as I feel about other groups, such as Christian's,
Norwegians, short people, Asians, and old people.