Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

Default ET2 Tonearm

Anyone have any experience with Eminent Technology ET2 linear air
bearing tonearm?

I see one on and older ('92 vintage) Sota Star TT at a local shop that
caught my eye.

Worth exploring?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

ScottW wrote:
Anyone have any experience with Eminent Technology ET2 linear air
bearing tonearm?

I see one on and older ('92 vintage) Sota Star TT at a local shop that
caught my eye.

Worth exploring?

I heard it several times back then, and it always sounded wonderful. I
believe that it was considered among the very best arms available in
its day.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

ScottW wrote:
Anyone have any experience with Eminent Technology ET2 linear air
bearing tonearm?

I see one on and older ('92 vintage) Sota Star TT at a local shop that
caught my eye.

Worth exploring?

ScottW

Here's the manual in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library_m... ed_model=ET2

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

ScottW wrote:
Anyone have any experience with Eminent Technology ET2 linear air
bearing tonearm?

I see one on and older ('92 vintage) Sota Star TT at a local shop that
caught my eye.

Worth exploring?

ScottW

It's a great tonearm. But what 'table would you put it on? Would you
buy the Sota too?

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Howard Ferstler

wrote:
ScottW wrote:

wrote:

ScottW wrote:

Anyone have any experience with Eminent Technology ET2 linear air
bearing tonearm?

I see one on and older ('92 vintage) Sota Star TT at a local shop that
caught my eye.

Worth exploring?

ScottW

It's a great tonearm. But what 'table would you put it on? Would you
buy the Sota too?

I was considering it, seems like possibly a good deal....but they
don't have it set up for listening and don't even know
what they had for a Sota Star. what version etc. I did a lot of
reading on Sota and wasn't all that impressed with their long history
of revisions and not so inexpensive upgrades.

They've had a Clearaudio Evolution with a tangent arm for months and
still don't have
it set up for listening either so I'm not holding my breath.

ScottW

ET tonearms are usually good matches with VPIs. The Clearaudio 'tables
are hit-and-miss. Depends upon how you feel about the sound of
plexiglas "tables. You might not like the sound. They're not lively
and can often sound a little dull.

After hearing the Breuer arms, all other arms sound a little
uninteresting anyway, even my SME V.

Boon

I just now realized who you are. I recently sent you an
email via my Yahoo account, and took you to task for some
rather outrageous comments you made within an internet
posting of some kind. You have not replied to my email, so I
am reproducing it here for the entertainment of all:

Hey, pal,

While I am now retired from audio journalism (and book
writing), I still do get around a bit and must admit
that while scoping the internet today I managed to
read your internet article. Now, I wish to comment on
sections of it that I excerpted, below:

In your article, you stated that Howard Ferstler said,
somewhe

"Sure. And they sound better to you, because you

like the sound of their distortion. Open and shut
case."

And you responded to what I said:

Here's the bad part about liking tubes, just as it's

the bad part about preferring LP's to CD's. The above
quote is from Howard Ferstler, a rather pedestrian
freelance audio reviewer who simply refuses to accept
why some people prefer the sound of LP's and tubed
amplifiers.

The "rather pedestrian" Howard Ferstler now responds
to your observation:

Hey, contrary to what you stated, I realize that some
people do indeed prefer the sound of LP recordings and
tubed amplifiers. However, this does not mean that I
think they are correct in their assumptions about the
quality of the reproduced sound. They think of their
systems as sound creators, or at least modifiers,
rather than as sound reproducers. I also think they
are more interested in audio systems as "toys" than as
audio systems as tools to listen to cleanly reproduced
music.

You continued in your article:

A lot of people, basically the crowd that believes

in measurements more than their own ears, will try to
tell you tube amplifiers distort the sound, and
they're mostly right.

Howard responds:

Note that most of those people allow their ears to validate
what those measurements show. Hey, even you admit that tubes
and LP recordings sound different. Why cannot those who
decry the poor quality sound of those LP and tube
technologies also back up their claims with listening
evaluations? Incidentally, if we are talking about a final,
playback technology altering the sound from its
low-distortion original version on the master tapes, it is
by definition "inferior."

You continue:

Remember back in the '70's, when there was a "total

harmonic distortion" war between the Japanese receiver
manufacturers? First there was less than .01% THD.
Then it was .001. Then there was .0001. So after a
while, it was safe to assume that total harmonic
distortion went the way of polio and the Chevy Vega.
Well, I've seen tube amps with ONE PERCENT total
harmonic distortion. That's well into what's easily
audible to most people. And I'm not sure, but I think
I remember some audio reviewer freaking out over the
3% THD he measured on a fairly recent model of tube
amp. What the techies are trying to tell us is that
digital music sources played back on modern, efficient
solid-state amps are accurate and without distortion,
and that we must admit that the distortion itself is
what the lovers of LP's and tube amplification are
attracted to. And I have to admit that that makes some
sense.

Howard states:

I am glad to see you at least admitting this much.
What I am baffled by is why something that makes sense
to you is found to be so repulsive.

You continued:

But what seems to be alien to most of these

individuals is that this is all about subjective
preferences. Who cares if there's more distortion,
more pops and ticks, more speed variations, more wow
and flutter and rumble, if the music we are hearing
sounds just like real, live musical performances?

Howard responds:

Your above statement makes no sense, whatsoever.
Basically, you are saying that more distortion, more
pops and ticks, more speed variations, and more wow
and flutter and rumble somehow sounds just like real,
live musical performances. I'd sure like to know where
you go to hear live performances that have those
artifacts.

You continued:

And that's what every lover of the sound of LP's,

and every lover of the sound of tube amps, will say to
explain this preference, that music played on LP's
and/or tube amplification simply sounds like real
music, instead of some supercharged and sanitized
digital version of the same.

Howard responds, again:

Well, previously you basically admitted that the LP
has more distortion than the CD, and that said
distortion is audible. Yet just above you say that it
is the CD that is "supercharged and sanitized." In a
way, your are correct, at least with that second
point: the CD has been sanitized from the distortion,
pops and ticks, speed variations, and wow and flutter
and rumble that would appear with the LP version. As
for the other description, it appears to me that the
distortions added by the LP format are what are what
are doing the supercharging. You openly admit that you
like the sound of colorations, and yet you then say
that those colorations somehow equal live-music sound.
Given that live-music sound has no such colorations,
how can this be possible?

You continued:

It's a fairly passionate debate in the audio world,

perhaps the biggest issue in music reproduction, next
to trying to make money off the downloading of music
into people's computers.

Howard makes his conclusion:

It is not the biggest issue, by any means. Only a
handful of cranks actually feel that a debate is
worthwhile, or even happening.

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Default Phantasmagorical Ferstlerianism

Brother Horace the Numblingly Dreary whined:

They think of their systems as sound creators, or at
least modifiers, rather than as sound reproducers.

What's it like in that flattened little world you've constructed, Clerkie?
Does your hungry cat sometimes loom over you, snarling and spitting, while
you gut a fish for its satiation? Does the cleaning lady appear out of
nowhere, threatening to suck you into the void with her fearsome Hoover? Do
the clamorous jet planes send their thunderous reports directly into your
brain, despite your precautions of lining the walls with wood-toned plastic?

One can only imagine the emptiness of your life that impels you to imagine
the thoughts of people you've never met and cannot even name.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

.......my email, so I am reproducing it here for the entertainment of all:

Howard Ferstler

Better stick with mother-in-law jokes.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message ...

Brother Horace the Numblingly Dreary whined:

They think of their systems as sound creators, or at
least modifiers, rather than as sound reproducers.

What's it like in that flattened little world you've constructed, Clerkie?
Does your hungry cat sometimes loom over you, snarling and spitting, while
you gut a fish for its satiation? Does the cleaning lady appear out of
nowhere, threatening to suck you into the void with her fearsome Hoover?
Do
the clamorous jet planes send their thunderous reports directly into your
brain, despite your precautions of lining the walls with wood-toned
plastic?

He's numbly oblivious to all that,
snoozing on his Naugahide sofa.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

In article 44a42968@kcnews01, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

I just now realized who you are. I recently sent you an
email via my Yahoo account, and took you to task for some
rather outrageous comments you made within an internet
posting of some kind. You have not replied to my email, so I
am reproducing it here for the entertainment of all:

Hey, pal,

Good catch: the article's dated April, 2003.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

MINe 109 said:

Hey, pal,

Good catch: the article's dated April, 2003.

LOL. Now I know why some say retirement is the heaviest burden of all.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:26:01 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

Howard responds:

Are there two Howards? God forbid.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote:

I just now realized who you are. I recently sent you an
email via my Yahoo account, and took you to task for some
rather outrageous comments you made within an internet
posting of some kind. You have not replied to my email, so I
am reproducing it here for the entertainment of all:

Hey, pal,

Good catch: the article's dated April, 2003.

Due to alzheimers, Howie thinks that 2003 was just yesterday.
Anything in between is merely a blur.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Howard Ferstler wrote:
wrote:
ScottW wrote:

wrote:

ScottW wrote:

[...]

I did reply, ****head.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

I just now realized who you are. I recently sent you an
email via my Yahoo account, and took you to task for some
rather outrageous comments you made within an internet
posting of some kind. You have not replied to my email, so I
am reproducing it here for the entertainment of all:

Hey, pal,

Good catch: the article's dated April, 2003.

Stephen

Here's an excerpt from my e-mail response to Howard:

"Wow, it only took you three years to respond to this article. Funny
thing is, I sent you a link to this article back then while arguing
with you on RAO. At the time, you refused to read it, probably because
you felt it would validate me as an audio journalist, which would
weaken your position during the argument. But here you are now,
"getting around a bit" on the Internet (a euphemism for having nothing
to do with your life during retirement), when in reality you were just
typing your name into Google to see if anyone was still talking about
you. And you came up with something from April 2003. Sad."

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

George M. Middius wrote:
Brother Horace the Numblingly Dreary whined:

They think of their systems as sound creators, or at
least modifiers, rather than as sound reproducers.

What's it like in that flattened little world you've constructed, Clerkie?
Does your hungry cat sometimes loom over you, snarling and spitting, while
you gut a fish for its satiation? Does the cleaning lady appear out of
nowhere, threatening to suck you into the void with her fearsome Hoover? Do
the clamorous jet planes send their thunderous reports directly into your
brain, despite your precautions of lining the walls with wood-toned plastic?

One can only imagine the emptiness of your life that impels you to imagine
the thoughts of people you've never met and cannot even name.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.

In all fairness I do have to admit that it took me a few days to
respond to Howard. It takes forever for me to get through his dreary,
dirgelike prose.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Marc said:

[...]

Did you mean to post this in the other thread, in which Clerkie did his Rip
van Winkle act?

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Howard Ferstler Howard Ferstler is offline

George M. Middius wrote:

MINe 109 said:

Hey, pal,

Good catch: the article's dated April, 2003.

LOL. Now I know why some say retirement is the heaviest burden of all.

I prioritize my internet reading. It took me this long to
get to it.

I'll get back to you, someday.

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

So who is this lump?

Howard Ferstler wrote:

Tweakos like weird.

And 'non-tweakos' like you and Arny are 'normal.'

LOL!

I know it's a small sample, but it's 100%.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Shhhh! said to Clerkenstein:

Tweakos like weird.

And 'non-tweakos' like you and Arny are 'normal.'
I know it's a small sample, but it's 100%.

Clerkie has lavished praise on the Krooborg, you know. Harold tells us that
Arnii is "a very smart man" and "an excellent spokes[borg] for science in
audio".

For his part, Krooger has acknowledged Ferstler's existence with very little
snottiness. Since Turdy is unable to actually praise anybody else, his lack
of snot is a glowing encomium of rare intensity. For Krooger, anyway.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

George M. Middius wrote:

MINe 109 said:

Hey, pal,

Good catch: the article's dated April, 2003.

LOL. Now I know why some say retirement is the heaviest burden of all.

I prioritize my internet reading. It took me this long to get to it.

I'll get back to you, someday.

Don't reply to this response until 2010, please.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 13:18:51 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

Tweakos like weird.

Howard Ferstler

I don't know, Howard. None of us seems to have taken to you much.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On 30 Jun 2006 10:21:36 -0700, wrote:

I did reply, ****head.

Boon

Is that Marc Philips? I thought I recognised your elevated prose.

Well, I'll be danged.....

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Howard Ferstler Howard Ferstler is offline

Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! wrote:

So who is this lump?

Howard Ferstler wrote:

Tweakos like weird.

And 'non-tweakos' like you and Arny are 'normal.'

Anything but. You have to be a bit off of your rocker to be
a serious audio buff.

However, there is a difference between somebody who is
interested enough in the hobby and its attributes to
seriously care to learn about just what is and is not
happening with audio gear and someone who has a mystical
attachment to the pastime and prefers speculation and
wishful thinking to analysis.

There is no reason why serious audio has to involve itself
with claptrap. There are enough "real" attributes and
sometimes arcane convolutions to keep any sane and
intelligent person adequately entertained without resorting
to foolishness.

The sane and intelligent approach will also save the
participant money, incidentally.

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Marc said:

FYI, paul has renounced his erstwhile Kroopologism and accepted the Beast's
true nature.

So you think he'll let me **** his sister?

paul is upwards of 60 years old. How desperate are you?

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109 MINe 109 is offline

In article 44a979f0@kcnews01, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

(Did you ever read my Man and World article on
the philosopher Spinoza that I posted here

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Just as I thought. Still another "not a chance," only this
time it relates to you. For kicks, here is the article, and
it outlines my approach to religion. As a helpful guide, I
have included a new introduction that was not part of the
original article that was published in Man and World. The
notes contained in the second part of the article are often
as important as sections of the main text.

The New introduction:

Nigh unreadable.

Stick to Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baruch_Spinoza

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Ruud Broens Ruud Broens is offline

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
: George M. Middius cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net
: said:
:
:
: He lives in wealth somewhere in Belgium, enjoying his rather large LP
: collection. He always thought CDs to sound unnatural ;-)
:
:
: Does he post to Usenet using a pseudonym of Gallic origin?
:
:
: You might know him as "Ruud' ;-)
:
: --
: "All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".

Sounds like there's overheating something, Sander ?
Let it be on record that i do not have a belgian castle
amongst my worldly possesions

R.