Randy Given

Default Just Dropping By

Just dropping by. This used to be my playground (thank you Madonna).
Looks like things are more the same than different. Catch ya next
go-around.
Arny Krueger

"Randy Given" wrote in message
om

Just dropping by. This used to be my playground (thank you Madonna).

Back in the days when the "A" in RAO stood for Audio...

Looks like things are more the same than different.

The people who loathed audio three years ago like Weil, Middius, Yustabe,
Phillips, Scottw, Sanders, etc, still loathe audio.

Catch ya next go-around.

Waiting for the usual list of suspects to grow a brain is tedious unless you
can find somewhere else to play. Fortunately, that's pretty easy.

dave weil

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:30:17 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Randy Given" wrote in message
. com

Just dropping by. This used to be my playground (thank you Madonna).

Back in the days when the "A" in RAO stood for Audio...

Looks like things are more the same than different.

The people who loathed audio three years ago like Weil, Middius, Yustabe,
Phillips, Scottw, Sanders, etc, still loathe audio.

Catch ya next go-around.

Waiting for the usual list of suspects to grow a brain is tedious unless you
can find somewhere else to play. Fortunately, that's pretty easy.

Don't get all, well, you know, "apopalectic" on us, Arnold.

And, in terms of "other places to play", does this include moderated
audio lists where they recognize your bizarre form of audio bullying
for what it is?

Arny Krueger

"dave weil" wrote in message

And, in terms of "other places to play", does this include moderated
audio lists where they recognize your bizarre form of audio bullying
for what it is?

Weil, one lesson learned from RAO's new life as an all- politics discussion
group is the fact that you're a bully no matter what the topic is.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"dave weil" wrote in message

And, in terms of "other places to play", does this include moderated
audio lists where they recognize your bizarre form of audio bullying
for what it is?

Weil, one lesson learned from RAO's new life as an all- politics

discussion
group is the fact that you're a bully no matter what the topic is.

Arny's Jesus complex surfaces yet again.

ScottW

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Randy Given" wrote in message
om

Just dropping by. This used to be my playground (thank you Madonna).

Back in the days when the "A" in RAO stood for Audio...

Looks like things are more the same than different.

The people who loathed audio three years ago like Weil, Middius, Yustabe,
Phillips, Scottw, Sanders, etc, still loathe audio.

While writing this on my wifi connected laptop
I'm listening to After Crying, Fold es Eg
on my sweet Quads.
What are you listening to Arny?

ScottW

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"ScottW" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Randy Given" wrote in message
om

Just dropping by. This used to be my playground (thank you Madonna).

Back in the days when the "A" in RAO stood for Audio...

Looks like things are more the same than different.

The people who loathed audio three years ago like Weil, Middius,

Yustabe,
Phillips, Scottw, Sanders, etc, still loathe audio.

While writing this on my wifi connected laptop
I'm listening to After Crying, Fold es Eg
on my sweet Quads.
What are you listening to Arny?

Trucks driving by and shaking his already cracked foundation.

Arny Krueger

"ScottW" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Randy Given" wrote in message
om

Just dropping by. This used to be my playground (thank you Madonna).

Back in the days when the "A" in RAO stood for Audio...

Looks like things are more the same than different.

The people who loathed audio three years ago like Weil, Middius,
Yustabe, Phillips, Scottw, Sanders, etc, still loathe audio.

While writing this on my wifi connected laptop
I'm listening to After Crying, Fold es Eg
on my sweet Quads.

What are you listening to Arny?

Certainly I'm not so pathetic that I'd brag about just passivly listening to
some retro-recording that someone else made. I've heard Fold es Eg's After
Crying. and find it to be so 1970s. ELP was 30 yaars ago. Now is the new
millennium.

I'm Just finishing up production of a live recording I made earlier this
week of some local artists singing "Beauty For Ashes" and "It Is Well". I
did the mixing and editing with Sony 7506 headphones plugged into a modified
Boostaroo plugged into the Realtek ALC 650-based audio interface
(surprisingly good!) in my 1 GB DDR RAM, one-third-terabyte SATA-disk
Athlon-64 3200 running Adobe Audition under Win XP Pro SP1a. The original 24
bit digital masters were recorded on my remote-site DAW, an
Audition-equipped XP Pro SP1a half-gig DDR RAM, quarter-terabyte disk
Athlon-2500+ DAW with Delta 1010 and 66 audio interfaces, front-ended by a
Mackie SR32 and various Shure and CAD microphones. I brought the tracks (8
GB, total) home on DVD-ROMs burned at the remote site. I've been
double-checking the mastering on my main home system based on NHT 2.5is,
the custom sound system in my van, and on Shure E2 IEMs plugged into my
NJB3.

When you wake up Scotty Van Winkle, you'll notice that this is the 21st
century and people can now interact with recorded music, not just passively
listen to it. BTW, I designed and built both of the audio computers as well
as installing all of the remote site recording equipment.

Arny Krueger

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Correction:

Certainly I'm not so pathetic that I'd brag about just passively
listening to some retro-recording that someone else made. I've heard
Fold es Eg's After Crying. and find it to be so 1970s. ELP was 30
years ago. Now is the new millennium.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

[...]

Just fine and dandy for an 'initial' effort.
When you wake up Scotty Van Winkle, you'll notice that this is the 21st
century and people can now interact with recorded music, not just

passively
listen to it. BTW, I designed and built both of the audio computers as

well
as installing all of the remote site recording equipment.

dave weil

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 05:21:24 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

.

I'm Just finishing up production of a live recording I made earlier this
week of some local artists singing "Beauty For Ashes" and "It Is Well".

If it's anything like the last live music you bragged about recording,
we can all get the barf bag out.

I did the mixing and editing with Sony 7506 headphones plugged into
a modified Boostaroo plugged into the Realtek ALC 650-based audio
interface (surprisingly good!) in my 1 GB DDR RAM, one-third-terabyte
SATA-disk Athlon-64 3200 running Adobe Audition under Win XP Pro
SP1a. The original 24 bit digital masters were recorded on my
remote-site DAW, an Audition-equipped XP Pro SP1a half-gig DDR
RAM, quarter-terabyte disk Athlon-2500+ DAW with Delta 1010 and
66 audio interfaces, front-ended by a Mackie SR32 and various Shure
and CAD microphones. I brought the tracks (8 GB, total) home on DVD-ROMs
burned at the remote site. I've been double-checking the mastering on
my main home system based on NHT 2.5is, the custom sound system in my
van, and on Shure E2 IEMs plugged into my NJB3.

You could have gotten about the same result with a DAT and my
computer. Or probably even an MD with a couple of lapel mics.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

I'm Just finishing up production of a live recording I made earlier
this week of some local artists singing "Beauty For Ashes" and "It
Is Well".

If it's anything like the last live music you bragged about recording,
we can all get the barf bag out.

See what I mean folks, about Weil wanting to play bully-boy? We've got the
new, improved 2004 David Weil, who is, all of a sudden, a world-renouned
critical expert on church music.

When was the last time you darkened the doors of a church, Weil?

I did the mixing and editing with Sony 7506 headphones plugged into
a modified Boostaroo plugged into the Realtek ALC 650-based audio
interface (surprisingly good!) in my 1 GB DDR RAM, one-third-terabyte
SATA-disk Athlon-64 3200 running Adobe Audition under Win XP Pro
SP1a. The original 24 bit digital masters were recorded on my
remote-site DAW, an Audition-equipped XP Pro SP1a half-gig DDR
RAM, quarter-terabyte disk Athlon-2500+ DAW with Delta 1010 and
66 audio interfaces, front-ended by a Mackie SR32 and various Shure
and CAD microphones. I brought the tracks (8 GB, total) home on
DVD-ROMs burned at the remote site. I've been double-checking the
mastering on my main home system based on NHT 2.5is, the custom
sound system in my van, and on Shure E2 IEMs plugged into my NJB3.

You could have gotten about the same result with a DAT and my computer.

Sure. DATs do 12 tracks and 24 bits just fine ---- in Weil-land.

Or probably even an MD with a couple of lapel mics.

Sure. MDs do 12 tracks and 24 bits just fine ---- in Weil-land.

Thanks Weil, for the nifty tour of your delusions or is it technical
ignorance.

BTW Weil, where did you say you heard these recordings that you're passing
judgment on?

Oh, you didn't because you couldn't have possibly done so.

Thanks for sharing, I mean bullying.

dave weil

wrote:

I'm Just finishing up production of a live recording I made earlier
this week of some local artists singing "Beauty For Ashes" and "It
Is Well".

If it's anything like the last live music you bragged about recording,
we can all get the barf bag out.

See what I mean folks, about Weil wanting to play bully-boy? We've got the
new, improved 2004 David Weil, who is, all of a sudden, a world-renouned
critical expert on church music.

Even *you* said it wasn't very good. shrug

When was the last time you darkened the doors of a church, Weil?

Wed. night when I had my ticket to Elvis Costello, Steve Nieve and the
Brodsky Quartet at the Ryman. Sat my ass in a pew for several hours.
And I'll bet that I'm able to access a live recording of that that
equals *your* recording. It will *certainly* be far more interesting
(yes OSAF - GUFFAW!)

I *do* note that now you seem to claim that one must "darken the doors
of a church" to be able to determine how good music is.

[...]

As I said, I'll bet, considering the kind of music that you're likely
recording (based on what you've previously posted), you could have
gotten the same result. Do I need to say "sonic result", or are you
going to do your typical semantic wiggling?

Or probably even an MD with a couple of lapel mics.

Sure. MDs do 12 tracks and 24 bits just fine ---- in Weil-land.

Prove that you'd be able to tell the difference with the type of music
you're recording! guffaw

Thanks Weil, for the nifty tour of your delusions or is it technical
ignorance.

Nope. It's having listened to that nasty piece of organ work that you
foisted on us last time you posted your live recordings.

BTW Weil, where did you say you heard these recordings that you're passing
judgment on?

Where did I say that I heard those recordings? I didn't.

Oh, you didn't because you couldn't have possibly done so.

That's right. But I've heard your church! guffaw

Thanks for sharing, I mean bullying.

Anytime, punk. Thanks for bragging about your rag-tag "recording
studio". I know *pizza dielivery men* who have better setups than
that. But this *is* Nashville, of course. I *do* think it's admirable
that you're willing to volunteer your time for the church though. I'll
bet that they're all in awe of your setup and expertise and I'll bet
you lord it over them all the time, bragging about what a wizard you
are. It will be interesting to compare *your* recording (likely of a
choral group in a big empty space) to John Atkinson's piano recordings
that he's done in a similar setting.
Arny Krueger

wrote:

I'm Just finishing up production of a live recording I made earlier
this week of some local artists singing "Beauty For Ashes" and "It
Is Well".

If it's anything like the last live music you bragged about
recording, we can all get the barf bag out.

See what I mean folks, about Weil wanting to play bully-boy? We've
got the new, improved 2004 David Weil, who is, all of a sudden, a
world-renowned critical expert on church music.

Even *you* said it wasn't very good. shrug

Truth in advertising which you later deny, Weil.

The most accurate life-like recording will make mediocre musicians sound
like mediocre musicians.

That's my part of the equation - the recording.

When was the last time you darkened the doors of a church, Weil?

Wed. night when I had my ticket to Elvis Costello, Steve Nieve and the
Brodsky Quartet at the Ryman. Sat my ass in a pew for several hours.
And I'll bet that I'm able to access a live recording of that that
equals *your* recording. It will *certainly* be far more interesting
(yes OSAF - GUFFAW!)

Obviously you've got the reading comprehension of a carrot, Weil. The Ryman
Auditorium is well, an auditorium. That's why they call is Ryman Auditorium.
Now some writers may call it "Mother Church of Country Music", but that's
just artistic license. Or Weil, can't you tell the difference between
artistic license and fact?

I *do* note that now you seem to claim that one must "darken the doors
of a church" to be able to determine how good music is.

When the context is church music...

[...]

Not a chance that I've changed my recording technique one iota since that
last recording according to you, eh Weil?

Or probably even an MD with a couple of lapel mics.

Sure. MDs do 12 tracks and 24 bits just fine ---- in Weil-land.

Prove that you'd be able to tell the difference with the type of music
you're recording! guffaw

Anybody who wants to can give it a try. The church is open to the public, MD
recorders are welcome.

Thanks Weil, for the nifty tour of your delusions or is it technical
ignorance.

Nope. It's having listened to that nasty piece of organ work that you
foisted on us last time you posted your live recordings.

No foisting. As you've already admitted I called it what it was. I guess now
you're contradicting what you wrote a few seconds ago. Sorry about those
short-term memory problems, Weil. I guess maybe if you could think a long
enough thought, you'd regret all those illegal drugs that you've taken.

BTW Weil, where did you say you heard these recordings that you're
passing judgment on?

Where did I say that I heard those recordings? I didn't.

Then Weil I can quote you as saying that passing judgment on recordings you
know essentially nothing about is good practice?

Oh, you didn't because you couldn't have possibly done so.

That's right. But I've heard your church! guffaw

Not a chance that different musicians, different musical works, different
recording technique were involved, right?

Thanks for sharing, I mean bullying.

Anytime, punk.

I think by now it's pretty clear who the ignorant punk is around here.

Thanks for bragging about your rag-tag "recording studio".

Just goes to show that Weil can't tell the difference between live venue
recording and recording in a studio.

I know *pizza delivery men* who have better setups than that.

Oh, your pizza delivery man has a full-tilt pipe organ with a 16' rank and
thousands of pipes, 5 HP blower motor and all in their recording studios?
Nashville must be quite a place!

But this *is* Nashville, of course.

It's a place where table waiters can't tell the difference between a church
and an auditorium. Whoda thunk!

I *do* think it's admirable
that you're willing to volunteer your time for the church though. I'll
bet that they're all in awe of your setup and expertise and I'll bet
you lord it over them all the time, bragging about what a wizard you
are.

How much you wanna bet, Weil. Remember, I'm not the kind of person that you
are. I actually have some relevant resources at my disposal. All we've seen
from you is lotsa lip and no action.

It will be interesting to compare *your* recording (likely of a
choral group in a big empty space) to John Atkinson's piano recordings
that he's done in a similar setting.

Easy enough for me to do. Been there done that. Different pianos, different
pianists, different venues. Only in Weil land do all churches sound the
same...

dave weil

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:29:38 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Obviously you've got the reading comprehension of a carrot, Weil. The Ryman
Auditorium is well, an auditorium. That's why they call is Ryman Auditorium.
Now some writers may call it "Mother Church of Country Music", but that's
just artistic license. Or Weil, can't you tell the difference between
artistic license and fact?

You should study your Ryman history.
dave weil

wrote:

When was the last time you darkened the doors of a church, Weil?

When was the last time you listened to live music *other* than in your
church or on a recording, Arnold? When was the last time you heard a
string quartet? A live unmiked drum kit? A live unmiked piano? A
Fender Jazz bass? An upright bass? Unamplified vocals in a concert
hall setting? Your jaws chewing a ham sandwich?

Well, at least the answer to the last question was probably this week.
ScottW

"ScottW" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Randy Given" wrote in message
om

While writing this on my wifi connected laptop
I'm listening to After Crying, Fold es Eg
on my sweet Quads.

What are you listening to Arny?

Certainly I'm not so pathetic that I'd brag about just passivly listening to
some retro-recording that someone else made. I've heard Fold es Eg's After
Crying. and find it to be so 1970s. ELP was 30 yaars ago. Now is the new
millennium.

Apparently not. After Crying is the band. Fold es Eg is the record.

70's was a great period for music. AFAIAC, great music is greatno
matter when it was recorded.
Fold es Eg was recorded in '94 and doesn't much remind me of ELP.
AMG doesn't list a single ELP recording in the similar/related album
category.
If you had said early Crimson, I might agree. That would be a
tremendous compliment to any band, although a comparison to ELP is no
dis.

ScottW
Arny Krueger

wrote:

When was the last time you darkened the doors of a church, Weil?

When was the last time you listened to live music *other* than in your
church or on a recording, Arnold?

Last week end.

When was the last time you heard a string quartet?

Live? Late last summer.

A live unmiked drum kit?

A couple of days ago.

A live unmiked piano?

A couple of days ago. A Kwai grand.

A Fender Jazz bass?

No fair pushing your fave brands, Weil. Any live electric bass - a couple
of weeks ago.

An upright bass?

Live? Late last summer.

Unamplified vocals in a concert hall setting?

Late last winter.

Your jaws chewing a ham sandwich?

A couple of days ago..

Well, at least the answer to the last question was probably this week.

Wrong again, Weil.

BTW Weil, next time try answering your own questions.

Arny Krueger

om
"ScottW" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Randy Given" wrote in message
om

While writing this on my wifi connected laptop
I'm listening to After Crying, Fold es Eg
on my sweet Quads.

What are you listening to Arny?

Certainly I'm not so pathetic that I'd brag about just passivly
listening to some retro-recording that someone else made. I've heard
Fold es Eg's After Crying. and find it to be so 1970s. ELP was 30
yaars ago. Now is the new millennium.

Apparently not. After Crying is the band. Fold es Eg is the record.

Whatver. I've heard the music. After all, why else would I compare it to
ELP? Take all the time you need to answer, Scotty.

70's was a great period for music. AFAIAC, great music is greatno
matter when it was recorded.

OK.

Fold es Eg was recorded in '94 and doesn't much remind me of ELP.

Maybe you're too young to have solid memories of ELP.

AMG doesn't list a single ELP recording in the similar/related album
category.

So what?

If you had said early Crimson, I might agree. That would be a
tremendous compliment to any band, although a comparison to ELP is no
dis.

Listening to 70's-style muisc on early-80s speakers strikes me as no biggle.
Believe it or not Scotty, there's something to be said for living in the
current millenium.

dave weil

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:25:32 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Certainly I'm not so pathetic that I'd brag about just passivly
listening to some retro-recording that someone else made. I've heard
Fold es Eg's After Crying. and find it to be so 1970s. ELP was 30
yaars ago. Now is the new millennium.

Apparently not. After Crying is the band. Fold es Eg is the record.

Whatver.

This is funny on *so* many levels.
dave weil

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:20:41 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

When was the last time you darkened the doors of a church, Weil?

When was the last time you listened to live music *other* than in your
church or on a recording, Arnold?

Last week end.

....and it was?

When was the last time you heard a string quartet?

Live? Late last summer.

Bummer.

A live unmiked drum kit?

A couple of days ago.

....and it was in conjunction with?

A live unmiked piano?

A couple of days ago. A Kwai grand.

I don't know what a "Kwai grand" is. Sounds like a Japanese cigar or
somethin'.

A Fender Jazz bass?

No fair pushing your fave brands, Weil. Any live electric bass - a couple
of weeks ago.

...in conjunction with?

An upright bass?

Live? Late last summer.

Bummer.

Unamplified vocals in a concert hall setting?

Late last winter.

So I assume that this would be about a year ago. Bummer.

Your jaws chewing a ham sandwich?

A couple of days ago..

Well, at least the answer to the last question was probably this week.

Wrong again, Weil.

Only in Arnold's world is " couple of days ago" isn't "probably this
week", especially when the day is Thursday.

BTW Weil, next time try answering your own questions.

I'm sure that the answers would be rather embarassing to you, "Mr.
Live Music".
ScottW

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Correction:

Certainly I'm not so pathetic that I'd brag about just passively
listening to some retro-recording that someone else made. I've heard
Fold es Eg's After Crying. and find it to be so 1970s. ELP was 30
years ago. Now is the new millennium.

BTW, I have Medwyn Goodall's Millenium. Sucks. After Crying is much better.

ScottW
Arny Krueger

wrote:

[...]

Yes Mr. Bully, but mine are the truth. Yours are just in your mind.

dave weil

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:50:03 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

snip

I'm sure that the answers would be rather embarassing to you, "Mr.
Live Music".

Yes Mr. Bully, but mine are the truth. Yours are just in your mind.

Lack of response to the follow requests for information noted.

BTW, there is proof regarding some of my statements about shows
attended in the past two days, on the web, if you know where to look.

dave weil

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:03:53 -0600, dave weil
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:50:03 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

snip

I'm sure that the answers would be rather embarassing to you, "Mr.
Live Music".

Yes Mr. Bully, but mine are the truth. Yours are just in your mind.

Lack of response to the follow requests for information noted.

Should read "follow-up" requests...

BTW, there is proof regarding some of my statements about shows
attended in the past two days, on the web, if you know where to look.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

The most accurate life-like recording will make mediocre musicians sound
like mediocre musicians.

That is why Arny prefers to record the worst possible
musicians he can find. So that he can shield himself from
blame for the miserable results

Sockpuppet Yustabe

wrote:

Obviously you've got the reading comprehension of a carrot, Weil. The

Ryman
Auditorium is well, an auditorium. That's why they call is Ryman

Auditorium.
Now some writers may call it "Mother Church of Country Music", but that's
just artistic license. Or Weil, can't you tell the difference between
artistic license and fact?

You should study your Ryman history.

Was that the Rise and Fall of the Ryman Empire?

Arny Krueger

wrote:

Obviously you've got the reading comprehension of a carrot, Weil.
The Ryman Auditorium is well, an auditorium. That's why they call is
Ryman Auditorium. Now some writers may call it "Mother Church of
Country Music", but that's just artistic license. Or Weil, can't you
tell the difference between artistic license and fact?

You should study your Ryman history.

Been there done that. But its history is irrelevant to its current state.

dave weil

wrote:

Obviously you've got the reading comprehension of a carrot, Weil.
The Ryman Auditorium is well, an auditorium. That's why they call is
Ryman Auditorium. Now some writers may call it "Mother Church of
Country Music", but that's just artistic license. Or Weil, can't you
tell the difference between artistic license and fact?

You should study your Ryman history.

Been there done that.

Apparently not until I brought your attention to the history, mainly
because you seemed not to know the reason the word "church" was
relevant in the "slogan".

But its history is irrelevant to its current state.

It's been used as a church in recent years.

Just as, apparently, your church is being used as a sort of "recording
studio" these days.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:50:03 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

snip

I'm sure that the answers would be rather embarassing to you, "Mr.
Live Music".

Yes Mr. Bully, but mine are the truth. Yours are just in your mind.

Lack of response to the follow requests for information noted.

Should read "follow-up" requests...

Should read "More examples of Weil's hypocrisy given that he isn't answering
many questions asked of him".

Arny Krueger

wrote:

Obviously you've got the reading comprehension of a carrot, Weil.
The Ryman Auditorium is well, an auditorium. That's why they call is
Ryman Auditorium. Now some writers may call it "Mother Church of
Country Music", but that's just artistic license. Or Weil, can't you
tell the difference between artistic license and fact?

You should study your Ryman history.

Note that Weil basically shoughed the whole post.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

When was the last time you darkened the doors of a church, Weil?

When was the last time you listened to live music *other* than in your
church or on a recording, Arnold? When was the last time you heard a
string quartet? A live unmiked drum kit? A live unmiked piano? A
Fender Jazz bass? An upright bass? Unamplified vocals in a concert
hall setting? Your jaws chewing a ham sandwich?

Well, at least the answer to the last question was probably this week.

Note that Weil didn't answer my simple question, even after I answered all
of his. Then he started whining about me not answering his request for
information. Typical of his arrogance and hypocrisy.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

I'm Just finishing up production of a live recording I made earlier
this week of some local artists singing "Beauty For Ashes" and "It
Is Well".

If it's anything like the last live music you bragged about
recording, we can all get the barf bag out.

See what I mean folks, about Weil wanting to play bully-boy? We've
got the new, improved 2004 David Weil, who is, all of a sudden, a
world-renouned critical expert on church music.

Even *you* said it wasn't very good. shrug

When was the last time you darkened the doors of a church, Weil?

Wed. night when I had my ticket to Elvis Costello, Steve Nieve and the
Brodsky Quartet at the Ryman. Sat my ass in a pew for several hours.
And I'll bet that I'm able to access a live recording of that that
equals *your* recording. It will *certainly* be far more interesting
(yes OSAF - GUFFAW!)

Note that this wasn't live music. It was amplified music listened to in the
same hall where the artists were at least mostly pantomiming the
performance.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message

You could have gotten about the same result with a DAT and my
computer.

Sure. DATs do 12 tracks and 24 bits just fine ---- in Weil-land.

As I said, I'll bet, considering the kind of music that you're likely
recording (based on what you've previously posted), you could have
gotten the same result. Do I need to say "sonic result", or are you
going to do your typical semantic wiggling?

Semantic wiggling is going to be your only hiding place, Weil.

Weil, when you say "The kind of music that you're likely recording (based on
what you've previously posted)" you're exposing your ignorance and arrogance
to its fullest.

First off Weil, you're basing a global judgment on just one tiny sample, an
old sample (from last July) at that.

If you've been paying attention and have the memory of a carrot Weil, you
know that I've been making at least one or two recordings a week ever since.

Again Weil, if you've been paying attention and have the memory of a carrot,
and the logical ability to add two and two and get four-point-zero, you know
that I've made many fundamental changes to my recording equipment and
technique, not to mention micing and mixing.

Then Weil, you've tacitly admitted that you don't even know what a church
is, with all your posturing based on the idea that a church is just a
building.

Finally Weil, you've tacitly admitted that you know nothing about the genre
of music that you've been posturing about. I gave you a song title that had
you researched it even minimally, you'd know that it's nothing like the
piano-organ duet I posted middle of last year.

Or probably even an MD with a couple of lapel mics.

Weil, talk about ludicrous. This just shows your consummate ignorance of the
importance of micing.

Let me review some facts that demolish your claim.

Obviously Weil, you're referencing the only kind of micing that a low-life
such as yourself can muster - basically it's stealthy piracy.

In fact one can position oneself so that one has fairly free access to live
music produced by any fraternal group with fairly open membership - church
or not. It doesn't take artists with national reps to make good music. All
they're good for is name-dropping bragging rights for the easily impressed.
For every *name* artist or group there are dozens of equally or more
highly-talented and equally or more highly dedicated musicians laboring
more-or-less anonymously. These people end up doing the zillions of small
gigs that happen all over the place. All you have to do is affiliate
yourself with a fraternal group of one kind or the other, or one of the
groups themselves, and if you don't have any severe hygiene or personality
disorders you can gain full access to the musical performances that they
produce.

Once you have the required access to the live performance, its a simple
matter to introduce the necessary recording equipment. Since you obviously
don't know the issues, don't understand the opportunities and haven't even
thought seriously about doing this, I'll outline a basic approach for doing
high-quality recording at a live performance.

I've found that the basic means for doing a high quality recording of a live
performance starts with two mics that basically do a minimalist recording of
the performance. Then you layer spot micing on top of this to suit, in order
to get the level of closeness and immediacy that you desire. With free
access to the performance space, you start out with something that is worlds
better than your basic low-life music pirate's "MD with a couple of lapel
mics" and then gain access what it takes to get even more satisfying
results.

Furthermore Weil, your suggestion that a MD recorder be used is so, well so
outdated. If you had bother to keep up, you'd know that even self-respecting
pirates have been abandoning MD in droves, and have switched over to using
Flash memory and Hard-Drive based recorders. Of course, you can't afford to
even think about investing in new technology like this, no matter how
relatively economical it is, give that you're struggling in your little
hovel, without regular medical insurance, trying to eke out survival on your
waiter's pittance.

Sure. MDs do 12 tracks and 24 bits just fine ---- in Weil-land.

Prove that you'd be able to tell the difference with the type of music
you're recording! guffaw

It's no joke. The proof is that the kind of pirated recordings you are
familiar with really sound pretty crappy compared to what can be readily
accomplished with even relatively inexpensive mics, given that one has
reasonable access to the venue. As I recall, the recording I posted last
summer was made from just 2 of the 12 microphones I currently use.
Furthermore, even those two mics have been repositioned and upgraded.

As usual Weil, you're talking out of ignorance and well, the back of your
neck. I seriously doubt that you've ever been in the driver's seat with a
menu composed 12 tracks of audio to mix and match from. I doubt that given
your demonstrated lack of ambition, technical expertise and personal
resources, you ever will.

It's quite clear Weil, that you judge music by the name of the artist, not
the actual quality of the music. In a similar fashion, you've confused
listening to amplified music played in the same room as where the name is
playing or pantomiming, with listening to live music. Finally, you obviously
don't understand the critical role that mic position and selection plays in
the quest for sound quality.

dave weil

wrote:

When was the last time you darkened the doors of a church, Weil?

When was the last time you listened to live music *other* than in your
church or on a recording, Arnold? When was the last time you heard a
string quartet? A live unmiked drum kit? A live unmiked piano? A
Fender Jazz bass? An upright bass? Unamplified vocals in a concert
hall setting? Your jaws chewing a ham sandwich?

Well, at least the answer to the last question was probably this week.

Note that Weil didn't answer my simple question, even after I answered all
of his.

I *did* answer the question, even if you didn't like the answer. Maybe
you should ask the question that you *really* meant to ask.

Then he started whining about me not answering his request for
information. Typical of his arrogance and hypocrisy.

Well, since I provided an answer to your question, this is just
annoying rhetoric.

dave weil

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:55:04 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Wed. night when I had my ticket to Elvis Costello, Steve Nieve and the
Brodsky Quartet at the Ryman. Sat my ass in a pew for several hours.
And I'll bet that I'm able to access a live recording of that that
equals *your* recording. It will *certainly* be far more interesting
(yes OSAF - GUFFAW!)

Note that this wasn't live music. It was amplified music listened to in the
same hall where the artists were at least mostly pantomiming the
performance.

Nope. It was all live music performed by the artists in real time with
*no* prior recorded material. It was *mostly* amplified, as is most
music performed in America, *except* for the times that Elvis sang
off-mike, which was several times. Fortunately, the amplification was
*very* minimal, considering the coustics of the hall. I was close
enough to be getting mostly unamplified sound, with only minimal PA
reinforcement. The instrumentation as a 10 foot Steinway, a Melodica,
three Gibson giutars (one acoustic) and a cello, a viola and two
violins.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that you did, but it is
*totally* inaccurate, a lie, if you will. And I belive that the lie
was intentional.
Arny Krueger

wrote:

When was the last time you darkened the doors of a church, Weil?

When was the last time you listened to live music *other* than in
your church or on a recording, Arnold? When was the last time you
heard a string quartet? A live unmiked drum kit? A live unmiked
piano? A Fender Jazz bass? An upright bass? Unamplified vocals in a
concert hall setting? Your jaws chewing a ham sandwich?

Well, at least the answer to the last question was probably this
week.

Note that Weil didn't answer my simple question, even after I
answered all of his.

I *did* answer the question, even if you didn't like the answer.

Oh, that's right Weil - your answer netted out that you didn't understand
the question.

Maybe
you should ask the question that you *really* meant to ask.

You obviously still don't understand the question, even after I explained it
in detail to you in another post.

Then he started whining about me not answering his request for
information. Typical of his arrogance and hypocrisy.

Well, since I provided an answer to your question, this is just
annoying rhetoric.

Wrong again, Weil. Why don't you quit posturing and just answer the
question. Oh, I forgot. That's against your religion.

dave weil

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:17:54 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Finally Weil, you've tacitly admitted that you know nothing about the genre
of music that you've been posturing about. I gave you a song title that had
you researched it even minimally, you'd know that it's nothing like the
piano-organ duet I posted middle of last year.

There was a piano in that recording??? Haaaaaaaa.

Frankly, amateur church performers of dubious talent are not my cup of
tea. Sorry. Now, go back to impressing your neighbors with your
'technical ability" to pull together an setup meant to inflate your
status in your congregation. As I said, a DAT would likely give you as
satisfactory a result, but it wouldn't wow the widows.