Thomas G. Marshall

Trevor Wilson coughed up:
"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Well, I checked that at RS, and they have no way to do it, and I'm
in the middle of nowhere, so It'll have to be internet.

Check again, though the RCA plugs that fit coax require quite a bit
of soldering for a good connection. RS does sell them.

Contrary to popular mythology, the best connectors are metal to like
metal. Plain tin plugs in a plain tin jack will work as well as
anything. Monster cables may look cute, but they don't work any
better than soldering iron specials that only cost a few pennies.

The mark-up on cables is even worse than the 300% mark-up on jewelry.

**Really? Examples? Evidence?

BTW: I retail cables. I make the most profit margin from the cheapest
cables. Some of my competitors mark up cheap cables to levels which
approach absurdity. I had rectify a bunch of faults in an extremely
complex AV system a few years ago. All the faults were caused by the
installer's use of VERY cheap, crappy cables, which had been
manufactured to LOOK like expensive cables. I buy those cables (more
correctly: I CAN buy those cables) for about AUS$1.60/1 Metre pair. I
don't buy them, because they're carp. They sound like crap (in good
systems), they exhibit high levels of capacitance, have poor
shielding and are very poorly terminated. My client showed me his
invoice. He had been charged AUS$167.00 for those cables! I replaced
them with moderately high grade cables, which I charged out at
AUS$40.00 each. I pay $22.00 for those cables. The REALLY exotic
cables I sell provide me with around 30% profit margin.

I don't think this speaks to the manufacturers markup. When he (larry
caldwell, laurence paine?) was referring to markup, I took that to mean the
profit differences from a manufacturer's cost to his wholesale price. After
all, he *was* talking about the *construction* cost of cables, not the
*resale* cost of cables.

--
With knowledge comes sorrow.

Trevor Wilson

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

[...]

**Maybe, maybe not. We don't know, because he did not spell it out. Since he
was speaking about jewellery, we can only assume that he was talking about
retail prices, since few people pay wholesale, or manufacturer's cost for
jewellery. Nevertheless, he has yet to provide the evidence I requested. His
words:

"The mark-up on cables is even worse than the 300% mark-up on jewelry."

I look forward to seeing the evidence.

After
all, he *was* talking about the *construction* cost of cables, not the
*resale* cost of cables.

**Assuming that most people here have to buy through retail outlets for
their cables, it is the retail price which is of most import. And it is with
very cheap cables that retailers have their largest margins.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Laurence Payne

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:17:19 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

**Assuming that most people here have to buy through retail outlets for
their cables, it is the retail price which is of most import. And it is with
very cheap cables that retailers have their largest margins.

So you buy for $1, sell for $5. Or you buy for $70, sell for $100.
Which item does you most good?
Schizoid Man

wrote:

**Assuming that most people here have to buy through retail outlets for
their cables, it is the retail price which is of most import. And it is with
very cheap cables that retailers have their largest margins.

So you buy for $1, sell for $5. Or you buy for $70, sell for $100.
Which item does you most good?

That would depend on how you analyze your investment. If you use a
logarithmic scale (such as stock charts) it would be the former. If you
use a simple linear scale it would be the latter.
David

The cable business is a huge rip-off with prices a factor of 10 higher =
than they should be.

Go to www.monoprice.com to see what cables should really cost. Belkin =
and Monster are outrageous. Others are cashing in also.
I have no affiliation with Monoprice other than a satisfied customer.

David

Slalomguy

go to harvey norman and see what they are
pushing,monster,monster.................

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

[...]

Matt Silberstein

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 01:44:50 +0100, in rec.audio.opinion , Laurence
Payne in

wrote:

**Assuming that most people here have to buy through retail outlets for
their cables, it is the retail price which is of most import. And it is with
very cheap cables that retailers have their largest margins.

So you buy for $1, sell for $5. Or you buy for $70, sell for $100.
Which item does you most good?

Depends on what is the limiting factor in your business. If your
problem is capital, the first item can be great.

--
Matt Silberstein

Trevor Wilson

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
(Trevor Wilson) says...

**Maybe, maybe not. We don't know, because he did not spell it out. Since
he
was speaking about jewellery, we can only assume that he was talking
about
retail prices, since few people pay wholesale, or manufacturer's cost for
jewellery. Nevertheless, he has yet to provide the evidence I requested.
His
words:

"The mark-up on cables is even worse than the 300% mark-up on jewelry."

I look forward to seeing the evidence.

I think the comparison between cables and jewelry was apt. Jewellers
take a polished rock and a stamped piece of metal, put them together,
and sell them for a minimum of 3x the total cost of parts and labor.

**Good. Show us the actual evidence. Show me the trail which leads you to
believe that there is a 300% markup. After you do that, show us the evidence
that (ALL) cable manufacturers make more than 300%.

Cable manufacturers take a hunk of wire and a couple press fit fittings,
put them together, and sell them for a similar markup. If they really
want to charge a premium, they dust the connections with solder powder
and hit them with a heat gun before they mold the plastic on. That and
the half cent of gold plating ends up costing the consumer $100.

**Does it? Show us your costings, with some actual evidence. I make cables
for my clients, when they require custom lengths. I make around 50% profit
on materials + my labour (AUS$80.00+tax/hour). Some cables may cost
consideraby more than $100.00. At no time do I make 300% on any fancy
cables. OTOH, I make considerably more on cheap cables. I buy cheap cables
for AUS$1.50 ~ $2.00. I then retail them for 5 or 6 Bucks. Fancy cables may
typically cost me around AUS$100.00 in materials (Nuetrik connectors, et al)
and about AUS$40.00 in labour. I would sell such a cable for about
AUS$200.00. Where is the 300%+ you speak of? Show us the actual evidence.

I don't know what you thought you were doing, but you weren't selling
cables, you were just providing them as an accessory to whatever you
were really selling. If you were dumb enough to get ripped off like
Clueless Joe Consumer, it's no wonder you are out of the business.

**Out of what business?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Trevor Wilson

"Slalomguy" wrote in message
go to harvey norman and see what they are
pushing,monster,monster.................

**So? what's your point? They don't make 300% on Monster products. Nothing
even close to 300%.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Thomas G. Marshall

David coughed up:
The cable business is a huge rip-off with prices a factor of 10
higher than they should be.

Go to www.monoprice.com to see what cables should really cost. Belkin
and Monster are outrageous. Others are cashing in also.
I have no affiliation with Monoprice other than a satisfied customer.

David

Hey thanks for the tip!

--
Enough is enough. It is /not/ a requirement that someone must google
relentlessly for an answer before posting in usenet. Newsgroups are

Slalomguy

100% profit on a $150 sale ie $75 bucks is more than 300% profit on a $50
sale
I actually bought monster component cable from HN because I wanted the best
for my new plasma
I have since compared it with a cheap component cable from Tricky Dicky and
for the life of me I cant see the difference
So do I think that expensive cables are a con...yes

"Slalomguy" wrote in message
go to harvey norman and see what they are
pushing,monster,monster.................

**So? what's your point? They don't make 300% on Monster products. Nothing
even close to 300%.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

dave weil

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:29:31 GMT, "Slalomguy"
wrote:

100% profit on a $150 sale ie $75 bucks is more than 300% profit on a $50
sale

Properly expressed, the latter case is a 33% profit margin. That's
about normal for MANY goods. Do you complain about the price of a
McDonald's hamburger? Well, you should, since their profit margin on
that burger is probably somewhere around 30%, give or take a few
bucks. Are you complaining about that cheap component cable from
Tricky Dicky? Because the profit margin on that cable is probably
about the same. How about those skiis that you like so much? I'll bet
the markup is about the same.

If you want to REALLY see what cheap goods cost, print yourself up a
business card and go to a trade show and get some quotes on Taiwanese
audio products for your "business". You'd be amazed what goes for
pennies, even blisterpacked and drop shipped to your "warehouse",
especially when you commit to a certain number of cases.

For the manufacturer of those cables, their profit margin is probably
more like 5%, but it's an economy of scale and we're comparing the
difference between manufacturing/wholesale and wholesale/retail. The
wider the distribution and the less narrow the products surveyed, the
lower the profit margin becomes. For instance, to take a simple
example, the profit margin OVERALL for a supermarket chain is somthing
south of 5%. However, if you take a specific product...say bulk coffee
beans...the profit margin IS probably about 30% or even higher. It
pays for all of the coupons that you use for Kraft's Macaroni and
Cheese.

Another more narrow example would be a typical wine list, where the
bottles that you would consider affordable and a 'good value" (all of
those $30 and less bottles), are probably marked up 3.5 - 4 times,
especially when you take case discounts into account. This keeps the
prices of the $100+ bottles from being astronomical. That $300 bottle
of Sassicaia probably cost the establishment $150, whereas that $24
bottle of White Zinfandel only cost $6. However, they know that the
guest would balk at paying $450-500 for that same bottle, while paying
$6 for a glass of wine isn't even blinked at.

Also, the next time you order a $6 Absolut on the rocks - consider
this - that bottle of Abolut holds about 19 such drinks. Priced a
retail bottle of Absolut lately? It's all about what the market can
bear and a look at the overall cost of running the business and
setting pricing structures that make it possible to run that business
in the red.

You might find paying an extra $15 for the name on a set of
interconnects onerous and that's your right. Another wouldn't blink at
paying $100 for a name and that's their right as well, and they're not
crazy for buying a product for reasons OTHER than pure utility, just
as you aren't crazy for not caring what name is on a product or what
the product looks like as long as it performs to your expectation.
That product marketing is the very reason that you can actually buy
whatever you want, because without marketing propping up businesses,
you have no CD player, you have no transistor, you have no plasma TV.
because you wouldn't have companies like Phillips, GE and JVC
reserving mass quantities of development dollars for new and untried
technologies. I'd even argue that without niche companies like Monster
Cable, you probably wouldn't have much of a retail sector, because
it's those billions of "impulse sales" and "relatively" low dollar
items that drives retail sales. You aren't going to keep a store open
by selling plasma TVs.

I actually bought monster component cable from HN because I wanted the best
for my new plasma
I have since compared it with a cheap component cable from Tricky Dicky and
for the life of me I cant see the difference
So do I think that expensive cables are a con...yes

Since looking at a cable has little worth other than seeing if the
connectors are different colors and *maybe* you can deduce something
about the coating, it has about as much effectiveness about judging
the efficacy of the product as a printed claim that this cable
"outperforms the cometition", so I think we can discard this as
nothing more than a personal preference based on little basis in fact.
Nothing wrong with THAT, of course.
Hugh Candlin

"Slalomguy" wrote in message

100% profit on a $150 sale ie $75 bucks is more than 300% profit on a

$50
sale

For the record, 100% profit on a $150 sale is $150.

100% markup yields 50% profit.
200% markup yields 66% profit.
300% markup yields 75% profit.

100% profit is very rare. Your cost would have to be zero.

Dave de Villiers

For clarification:

GPM% is calculated as follows:

GPM% = Profit Value / Sale Value
or: ( Sale Value - Cost Value ) / Sale Value
or: 1 - (Cost Value / Sale Value)

From these:

Profit Value = Sales Value x GPM%
Cost Value = ( 1 - GPM% ) x Sale value
Sale Value = Cost Value / ( 1 - GPM% )

MARK-UP is simple:

For a Mark-Up of 50% where Cost is $100:

Sale Value = Cost Value x ( 1 + Mark-Up %) or 100 x 1.5 = $150.00
For a Mark-Up of 50%, the GPM% is 33.33% ( 1 - ( 100 / 150 ) as %)

These terms are often used interchangeably - a big mistake!

George Middius

Dave de Villiers said:

For clarification:
Sale Value = Cost Value x ( 1 + Mark-Up %) or 100 x 1.5 = $150.00
For a Mark-Up of 50%, the GPM% is 33.33% ( 1 - ( 100 / 150 ) as %)
These terms are often used interchangeably - a big mistake!

Cost of dedication to aBxism: Total embrace of full-on class envy and gouging
out your eyeballs.

Cost of apologizing for the Krooborg: Years and years of being shunned by decent
people on account of the stench of feces.

Value of buying whatever you want to listen to your music: priceless.

Schizoid Man

Hugh Candlin wrote:

"Slalomguy" wrote in message

100% profit on a $150 sale ie $75 bucks is more than 300% profit on a

$50

sale

For the record, 100% profit on a $150 sale is $150.

100% markup yields 50% profit.
200% markup yields 66% profit.
300% markup yields 75% profit.

100% profit is very rare. Your cost would have to be zero.

Hugh, I hate to be pedantic, but if your costs are zero your profit
won't be 100%, it would be infinite.
Matt Silberstein

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:19:46 -0700, in rec.audio.opinion , Schizoid
Man in wrote:

Hugh Candlin wrote:

"Slalomguy" wrote in message

100% profit on a $150 sale ie $75 bucks is more than 300% profit on a

$50

sale

For the record, 100% profit on a $150 sale is $150.

100% markup yields 50% profit.
200% markup yields 66% profit.
300% markup yields 75% profit.

100% profit is very rare. Your cost would have to be zero.

Hugh, I hate to be pedantic, but if your costs are zero your profit
won't be 100%, it would be infinite.

No, it would be 100%. That is, 100% of the sale is (gross) profit.
Infinite markup, but only 100% profit.

--
Matt Silberstein

Slalomguy

dave weil" wrote in message
Since looking at a cable has little worth other than seeing if the
connectors are different colors and *maybe* you can deduce something
about the coating, it has about as much effectiveness about judging
the efficacy of the product as a printed claim that this cable
"outperforms the cometition", so I think we can discard this as
nothing more than a personal preference based on little basis in fact.
Nothing wrong with THAT, of course.

I did not make myself clear obviously ,but what I intended to say that I
tested the two cables and could see no difference in the pic quality.
As far as looks go Monster wins hands down.

Thomas G. Marshall

Slalomguy coughed up:

....[rip]...

I did not make myself clear obviously ,but what I intended to say
that I tested the two cables and could see no difference in the pic
quality. As far as looks go Monster wins hands down.

Nah, I like the AR blue...

--
I've seen this a few times--Don't make this mistake:

Dwight: "This thing is wildly available."
Smedly: "Did you mean wildly, or /widely/ ?"
Dwight: "Both!", said while nodding emphatically.

Dwight was exposed to have made a grammatical
error and tries to cover it up by thinking
fast. This is so painfully obvious that he
only succeeds in looking worse.

Dave Weil wrote:

snip
Also, the next time you order a $6 Absolut on the rocks - consider
this - that bottle of Abolut holds about 19 such drinks. Priced a
retail bottle of Absolut lately? It's all about what the market can
bear and a look at the overall cost of running the business and
setting pricing structures that make it possible to run that business
in the red.
snip

I think you mean 'black'. ; )
Only the government seems to succeed at running things in the red.

Mike

www.ramelectronics.net = very high quality products and excellent service
and delivery.
Call them. cost is 20% - 30% of monster cable.

Mike

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:Ke2ne.5436$zb.4004@trndny06...

Note: I'm expecting to be flamed from here to china for asking this,
because variations have been asked a million times here. I've read
through a number of them, but would like another stab at it.

AFAICT, the /universe/ uses essentially three kinds of
AV/audio/s-video/component cables. I'll gladly accept correction here.

1. The mostly inexpensive ~6 to 12 dollars
2. Acoustic Research
3. Monster

Is there a lesser known manufacturer out there than anyone particularly
loves that is cheaper, but of similar quality at AR or M.

One of the things I'm missing is a useful (yet conversational) metric for
determining the quality difference between the 3. Of course, each
situation is going to be different, but I pine for a stake in the sand
from which all things are measured. Right now, all I have to go on is the
vaguest of vague notions that monster is probably a little better than AR,
but only in some situations and not really worth it.

--
"Realtor" and "realty" are pronounced "reel'-tor" and
"reel'-tee", *not* "reel'-a-tor" and "reel'-i-tee" !!!!

Mike

do they sell more than speaker cable?

Mie

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...
Whats the Home Depot brand... RCA?

ScottW

Mike

digital connections and cables either work or they don't work unless the
the connector(s) are defective.
some high end cables distortn an analog signal which some prefer.

Mike

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com
wrote in message news:Ke2ne.5436$zb.4004@trndny06...

Note: I'm expecting to be flamed from here to china for asking this,

because
variations have been asked a million times here. I've read through a

number
of them, but would like another stab at it.

AFAICT, the /universe/ uses essentially three kinds of
AV/audio/s-video/component cables. I'll gladly accept correction here.

1. The mostly inexpensive ~6 to 12 dollars
2. Acoustic Research
3. Monster

Is there a lesser known manufacturer out there than anyone particularly
loves that is cheaper, but of similar quality at AR or M.

I'm afraid you've been taken in by advertising. The AR brand is available
as
a generic from
Parts Express: http://www.partsexpress.com/
There is no apparent brand difference, even though the manufacturers spend
millions of dollars on branding exercises to brainwash you, nor is there
any
reason to believe that Monster is "better".

In my experience, there are some sonic differences, but these have to do
with the specific, unusual construction of the cable that is not found in
mainstream product such as you are considering. It is not related to
general
quality. I have heard a rather unusual cable, made of twisted pair
embedded
in Kapton, but it is not priced to interest either you or me.

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 02:05:43 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

digital connections and cables either work or they don't work unless the
the connector(s) are defective.

Explain that again please? It's an on/off situation except for
connector faults, which can cause other problems? :-)

Mike

monoprice has very low prices. have you bought from them? good quality
equipment? good customer service?

Mike

"David" wrote in message
news The cable business is a huge rip-off with prices a factor of 10 higher than
they should be.

Go to www.monoprice.com to see what cables should really cost. Belkin and
Monster are outrageous. Others are cashing in also.
I have no affiliation with Monoprice other than a satisfied customer.

David

Thomas G. Marshall

Mike coughed up:
bad connection(s) can cause intermittent problems.

So can top posting after others have bottom posted

"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 02:05:43 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

digital connections and cables either work or they don't work
unless the the connector(s) are defective.

Explain that again please? It's an on/off situation except for
connector faults, which can cause other problems? :-)

--
Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmal luntilsomeoneramsitupyournose.

Thomas G. Marshall

Mike coughed up:
www.ramelectronics.net = very high quality products and excellent service
and delivery.
Call them. cost is 20% - 30% of monster cable.

How come their cheapest "budget" S-Video cables are more expensive then
their better quality "good" S-Video cables ?

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/s-video.html

--
Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmal luntilsomeoneramsitupyournose.

Eric

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

How come their cheapest "budget" S-Video cables are more expensive then
their better quality "good" S-Video cables ?

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/s-video.html

Gold plated contacts?

David

"Mike" wrote in message =
monoprice has very low prices. have you bought from them? good =

quality=20
equipment? good customer service?
=20
Mike
=20
"David" wrote in message=20
news The cable business is a huge rip-off with prices a factor of 10 higher =

than=20
they should be.
=20
Go to www.monoprice.com to see what cables should really cost. Belkin =

and=20
Monster are outrageous. Others are cashing in also.
I have no affiliation with Monoprice other than a satisfied customer.
=20
David

I have bought video and computer cables from them. Good prices, mostly =
made in China cables, fair shipping costs, and fast delivery. I bought a =
DVI to HDMI cable from them for about $12 that Monster wants $125 for. =
Works great!

David

Mike

What do you use s video connections for? It's been many many years since I
had a component that used a S Video connection.
so I haven't checked those prices in many moons. Actually, I don't know
anybody who uses
S video conmnections. You can call them the pricing structure. Maybe
it's a misprint.

Mike

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:CHsre.809$qr1.166@trndny07...
Mike coughed up:
www.ramelectronics.net = very high quality products and excellent service
and delivery.
Call them. cost is 20% - 30% of monster cable.

How come their cheapest "budget" S-Video cables are more expensive then
their better quality "good" S-Video cables ?

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/s-video.html

--
Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmal luntilsomeoneramsitupyournose.

Thomas G. Marshall

Mike coughed up:

"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote in
message news:vzsre.5009$Nx1.2677@trndny05...

Mike coughed up:

"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message ...

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 02:05:43 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

digital connections and cables either work or they don't work
unless the the connector(s) are defective.

Explain that again please? It's an on/off situation except for
connector faults, which can cause other problems? :-)

bad connection(s) can cause intermittent problems.

So can top posting after others have bottom posted

t.m.t.o.y.h.?

Yep.

--
Sometimes life just sucks and then you live.

Thomas G. Marshall

Mike coughed up:
What do you use s video connections for? It's been many many years
since I had a component that used a S Video connection.

Many mid-level tv's have that as the *highest* quality connector. Mine
does.

....[rip]...

--
Sometimes life just sucks and then you live.

Mike

Yeah, but do you use it for anything?

Mike'
"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:6C4se.3937$kl1.2258@trndny08...
Mike coughed up:
What do you use s video connections for? It's been many many years
since I had a component that used a S Video connection.

Many mid-level tv's have that as the *highest* quality connector. Mine
does.

...[rip]...

--
Sometimes life just sucks and then you live.

Dave Martindale

"Mike" writes:
Yeah, but do you use it for anything?

I use an S-video connection from DVD player to TV.

The DVD player supports progressive scan and component output, but the
(older) TV supports neither of those. The only options are interlaced
scan via S-video or plain old composite input. S-video is the better of
the two options, so that's what I use.

It should at least avoid some luminance/chroma errors. It might even
allow full-bandwidth luma, without a notch in the luma around the colour
subcarrier frequency. Someday I'll have to get a test disc to check.

Dave

Thomas G. Marshall

Mike coughed up:

"Mike" writes:
Yeah, but do you use it for anything?

I use an S-video connection from DVD player to TV.

The DVD player supports progressive scan and component output, but
the (older) TV supports neither of those. The only options are
interlaced scan via S-video or plain old composite input. S-video
is the better of the two options, so that's what I use.

It should at least avoid some luminance/chroma errors. It might even
allow full-bandwidth luma, without a notch in the luma around the
colour subcarrier frequency. Someday I'll have to get a test disc
to check.

I was so frustrated by a recent composite-svideo fuzziness that I was
experiencing (before I learned that it was due to a lack of a comb filter)
that I was honestly considering cutting off my nose to spite my face by
seeing if I couldn't tunnel everything via 300 Ohm 2-conductor cable, like
the old days.

--
Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs
need to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses