Thomas G. Marshall

Default (again) Monster cable alternatives, and is it all worth it anyway.

Note: I'm expecting to be flamed from here to china for asking this, because
variations have been asked a million times here. I've read through a number
of them, but would like another stab at it.

AFAICT, the /universe/ uses essentially three kinds of
AV/audio/s-video/component cables. I'll gladly accept correction here.

1. The mostly inexpensive ~6 to 12 dollars
2. Acoustic Research
3. Monster

Is there a lesser known manufacturer out there than anyone particularly
loves that is cheaper, but of similar quality at AR or M.

One of the things I'm missing is a useful (yet conversational) metric for
determining the quality difference between the 3. Of course, each situation
is going to be different, but I pine for a stake in the sand from which all
things are measured. Right now, all I have to go on is the vaguest of vague
notions that monster is probably a little better than AR, but only in some
situations and not really worth it.

--
"Realtor" and "realty" are pronounced "reel'-tor" and
"reel'-tee", *not* "reel'-a-tor" and "reel'-i-tee" !!!!

ScottW

Whats the Home Depot brand... RCA?

ScottW

Robert Morein

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:Ke2ne.5436$zb.4004@trndny06...

Note: I'm expecting to be flamed from here to china for asking this,

because
variations have been asked a million times here. I've read through a

number
of them, but would like another stab at it.

AFAICT, the /universe/ uses essentially three kinds of
AV/audio/s-video/component cables. I'll gladly accept correction here.

1. The mostly inexpensive ~6 to 12 dollars
2. Acoustic Research
3. Monster

Is there a lesser known manufacturer out there than anyone particularly
loves that is cheaper, but of similar quality at AR or M.

I'm afraid you've been taken in by advertising. The AR brand is available as
a generic from
Parts Express: http://www.partsexpress.com/
There is no apparent brand difference, even though the manufacturers spend
millions of dollars on branding exercises to brainwash you, nor is there any
reason to believe that Monster is "better".

In my experience, there are some sonic differences, but these have to do
with the specific, unusual construction of the cable that is not found in
mainstream product such as you are considering. It is not related to general
quality. I have heard a rather unusual cable, made of twisted pair embedded
in Kapton, but it is not priced to interest either you or me.

Laurence Payne

On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:42:50 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:

One of the things I'm missing is a useful (yet conversational) metric for
determining the quality difference between the 3. Of course, each situation
is going to be different, but I pine for a stake in the sand from which all
things are measured. Right now, all I have to go on is the vaguest of vague
notions that monster is probably a little better than AR, but only in some
situations and not really worth it.

Assuming well-fitting, clean connectors and cable of adequate robust
construction, it's probably the same as in the audio world. The
difference between utility connections and premium ones is the price.
Period.

Monster have a particular reputation for being way overpriced and
rather tatty.
Gene E. Bloch

On 5/31/2005, Laurence Payne managed to type:
. com wrote:

One of the things I'm missing is a useful (yet conversational) metric for
determining the quality difference between the 3. Of course, each situation
is going to be different, but I pine for a stake in the sand from which all
things are measured. Right now, all I have to go on is the vaguest of vague
notions that monster is probably a little better than AR, but only in some
situations and not really worth it.

Assuming well-fitting, clean connectors and cable of adequate robust
construction, it's probably the same as in the audio world. The
difference between utility connections and premium ones is the price.
Period.

Monster have a particular reputation for being way overpriced and
rather tatty.

For us on the other side of the pond, Was bedeutet 'tatty'?

Oh, sorry - What does 'tatty' mean?

I looked it up in the only dictionary of British slang I know about,
but it wasn't there (and I would love to add it to my ammunition
against Monster!).

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

David Harper

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message For us on the
other side of the pond, Was bedeutet 'tatty'?

Oh, sorry - What does 'tatty' mean?

I looked it up in the only dictionary of British slang I know about, but
it wasn't there (and I would love to add it to my ammunition against
Monster!).

Google is your friend. Enter "Define: tatty", without the quotes.

- David Harper

Gene E. Bloch

On 5/31/2005, David Harper managed to type:
"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message For us on the
other side of the pond, Was bedeutet 'tatty'?

Oh, sorry - What does 'tatty' mean?

I looked it up in the only dictionary of British slang I know about, but it
wasn't there (and I would love to add it to my ammunition against
Monster!).

Google is your friend. Enter "Define: tatty", without the quotes.

- David Harper

Google is more my friend than I knew :-)

Thanks for the pointer.

But now I have to decide which of two meanings was meant (just kidding
- it's clear from the context).

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Trevor Wilson

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:Ke2ne.5436$zb.4004@trndny06...

Note: I'm expecting to be flamed from here to china for asking this,
because variations have been asked a million times here. I've read
through a number of them, but would like another stab at it.

AFAICT, the /universe/ uses essentially three kinds of
AV/audio/s-video/component cables. I'll gladly accept correction here.

**There are many hundreds of different types of interconnects.

1. The mostly inexpensive ~6 to 12 dollars

**Nope. Figure on about US$0.50.

2. Acoustic Research
3. Monster

**+ Several hundred others.

Is there a lesser known manufacturer out there than anyone particularly
loves that is cheaper, but of similar quality at AR or M.

**Try Apature. The trick to buying cables, is to find a manufacturer who
does NOT advertise. Ultimately, it is the consumer who pays for advertising.
When I used Apature, they were very low profile and thus, hard to find. They
manufactured an identical cable (different printing on the covering) to a
major manufacturer, but at around 20% of the price. Another of my
favourites, albeit quite expensive and relatively high profile is Cardas. I
don't, for one milisecond, buy their storyline, but the stuff does sound
nice. I have no idea why.

One of the things I'm missing is a useful (yet conversational) metric for
determining the quality difference between the 3. Of course, each
situation is going to be different, but I pine for a stake in the sand
from which all things are measured. Right now, all I have to go on is the
vaguest of vague notions that monster is probably a little better than AR,
but only in some situations and not really worth it.

**Whether it is worth paying any more than US$0.50 for interconnects, will
depend on several factors:

* The type and impedances of the sources and loads.
* The 'transparency' of the equipment used.
* The hearing acuity of the listener.

For instance: If you're using standard HT gear and watching movies, spend
US$0.50 on cables. There is no point spending any more. If you have good
sound only system (not SET crap) and you like listening to quality music,
which has been well recorded, then you MIGHT hear a difference between SOME
cables.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

ScottW

. com wrote:

One of the things I'm missing is a useful (yet conversational) metric for
determining the quality difference between the 3. Of course, each situation
is going to be different, but I pine for a stake in the sand from which all
things are measured. Right now, all I have to go on is the vaguest of vague
notions that monster is probably a little better than AR, but only in some
situations and not really worth it.

Assuming well-fitting, clean connectors and cable of adequate robust
construction, it's probably the same as in the audio world. The
difference between utility connections and premium ones is the price.
Period.

Monster have a particular reputation for being way overpriced and
rather tatty.

I call 'em tighty... an overly tight monster interconnect cost me a
solder joint on my preamp. They suck.

ScottW

Thomas G. Marshall

Trevor Wilson coughed up:
"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote in
message news:Ke2ne.5436$zb.4004@trndny06...

Note: I'm expecting to be flamed from here to china for asking this,
because variations have been asked a million times here. I've read
through a number of them, but would like another stab at it.

AFAICT, the /universe/ uses essentially three kinds of
AV/audio/s-video/component cables. I'll gladly accept correction
here.

**There are many hundreds of different types of interconnects.

I said "essentially". By far the greatest collection are the three
categories I listed, or so I think. I'm just as likely to be wrong here I
suppose, because I am not an av-phile.

1. The mostly inexpensive ~6 to 12 dollars

**Nope. Figure on about US$0.50.

I didn't say "the most inexpensive is 6 to 12 dollars". I was talking about
the breed of cable that is for the most part inexpensive and around 6 to 12
dollars.

Besides, the absolute cheapest of the cheapest I could find for a/v was $3
for a 6 footer. Where can I get even a 3' for $0.50???

2. Acoustic Research
3. Monster

**+ Several hundred others.

Are there really several hundred others? Several /hundred/ above $12 and
below $6? Even if so, I'm talking about the most common ones.

Is there a lesser known manufacturer out there than anyone
particularly loves that is cheaper, but of similar quality at AR or
M.

**Try Apature. The trick to buying cables, is to find a manufacturer
who does NOT advertise. Ultimately, it is the consumer who pays for
advertising. When I used Apature, they were very low profile and
thus, hard to find. They manufactured an identical cable (different
printing on the covering) to a major manufacturer, but at around 20%
of the price. Another of my favourites, albeit quite expensive and
relatively high profile is Cardas. I don't, for one milisecond, buy
their storyline, but the stuff does sound nice. I have no idea why.

INTERESTING!

[...]

Thanks for the information---it helps.

--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

Peter

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in
AFAICT, the /universe/ uses essentially three kinds of
AV/audio/s-video/component cables. I'll gladly accept correction here.

1. The mostly inexpensive ~6 to 12 dollars
2. Acoustic Research
3. Monster

Is there a lesser known manufacturer out there than anyone particularly
loves that is cheaper, but of similar quality at AR or M.

Look in the Calrad catalog, since they have cables quite similar to Monster
at much, much lower prices, and they even offer "locking" RCA type cables.

But best of all why not purchase your own cable from a store that carries
Belden, Alpha Wire, etc., and make your own cables? This is surely one of
the last ways where DIY still applies with our hobby.

Laurence Payne

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 01:46:05 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

**Whether it is worth paying any more than US$0.50 for interconnects, will
depend on several factors:

Whoops! He calls them interconnects, not cables. Audiophile alert!
(Or he sells them, so must not QUITE state they're snake-oil:-)
Laurence Payne

On 31 May 2005 18:53:53 -0700, "ScottW" wrote:

I call 'em tighty... an overly tight monster interconnect cost me a
solder joint on my preamp. They suck.

Did your preamp have a socket supported only by the circuit board, not
firmly mounted to the chassis? This happens a lot on domestic
equipment. Even expensive audiophile stuff. You'd think the price
would cover a few pennies for a proper mounting.
Laurence Payne

On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:11:50 -0700, "Peter" reply to newsgroup only
wrote:

But best of all why not purchase your own cable from a store that carries
Belden, Alpha Wire, etc., and make your own cables? This is surely one of
the last ways where DIY still applies with our hobby.

You feel brand-name cable is required?

Arny Krueger

ScottW wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:

Monster have a particular reputation for being way

overpriced and
rather tatty.

Agreed.

I call 'em tighty... an overly tight monster interconnect

cost me a
solder joint on my preamp.

We used to hear this same song RS Gold interconnects.

They suck.

Nope crappy preamps and people who don't know how to mate
and unmate connectors...

George Middius

'Borgma Alert! Take cover!

Laurence Payne said:

Whoops! He calls them interconnects, not cables. Audiophile alert!
(Or he sells them, so must not QUITE state they're snake-oil:-)

Greetings, greatly stupid little 'borg. Today's language lesson is designed to
edify you and your craven ilk.

Interconnects are the ***finished*** cables that human beings used to connect
electronic hardware.

Cable is one of the components of interconnects. In addition to cable, the
materials list for interconnects also includes terminations (little pieces of
fabricated metal) and methods of attachment. The terminations take a variety of
forms and the attachments are either chemical or mechanical.

You may now resume picking your nose in Macy's front window.

Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" said:

I call 'em tighty... an overly tight monster interconnect

cost me a
solder joint on my preamp.

We used to hear this same song RS Gold interconnects.

They suck.

Nope crappy preamps and people who don't know how to mate
and unmate connectors...

The Monster "Turbine" connectors are a disaster.
Better use Neutrik or WBT.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Laurence Payne

On 1 Jun 2005 06:39:18 -0700, George Middius
wrote:

'Borgma Alert! Take cover!

Laurence Payne said:

Whoops! He calls them interconnects, not cables. Audiophile alert!
(Or he sells them, so must not QUITE state they're snake-oil:-)

Greetings, greatly stupid little 'borg. Today's language lesson is designed to
edify you and your craven ilk.

Interconnects are the ***finished*** cables that human beings used to connect
electronic hardware.

Cable is one of the components of interconnects. In addition to cable, the
materials list for interconnects also includes terminations (little pieces of
fabricated metal) and methods of attachment. The terminations take a variety of
forms and the attachments are either chemical or mechanical.

You may now resume picking your nose in Macy's front window.

Yes dear.
The professional audio world has never heard of interconnects.
Neither had the domestic hi-fi world until a few years ago. We
connected our components with .....now what was the word.......? :_)
Thomas G. Marshall

Peter coughed up:
"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote in
AFAICT, the /universe/ uses essentially three kinds of
AV/audio/s-video/component cables. I'll gladly accept correction
here. 1. The mostly inexpensive ~6 to 12 dollars
2. Acoustic Research
3. Monster

Is there a lesser known manufacturer out there than anyone
particularly loves that is cheaper, but of similar quality at AR or
M.

Look in the Calrad catalog, since they have cables quite similar to
Monster at much, much lower prices, and they even offer "locking" RCA
type cables.
But best of all why not purchase your own cable from a store that
carries Belden, Alpha Wire, etc., and make your own cables? This is
surely one of the last ways where DIY still applies with our hobby.

Well, I checked that at RS, and they have no way to do it, and I'm in the
middle of nowhere, so It'll have to be internet.

I'm assuming that rca is as easy/uneasy as (rf) coax to mount connectors on?
At least RG6 and the like I make myself, but would love to get into making
composite/svideo/component. Are they reliable (if done correctly)?

By the way: svideo seems a dicey thing for a DIYer. There are two coaxes in
there (as I've been educated here.) Doesn't seem to lend itself to crimp
connectors on one connector.....ICBW...

--
"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
-Thufir Hawat, Mentat and Master of Assassins to House Atreides

Trevor Wilson

wrote:

**Whether it is worth paying any more than US$0.50 for interconnects, will
depend on several factors:

Whoops! He calls them interconnects, not cables. Audiophile alert!
(Or he sells them, so must not QUITE state they're snake-oil:-)

**Do you have anything of use to add to the discussion? Or do you wish to
show everyone that you are a moron, incapable of holding a reasonable,
rational discussion?

Thought so.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

ScottW

It was a weird propietary connector with plastic body that was screwed
to the chassis but the contacts have enough flex in the body along with
the flex in the rear panel that the solder joint at the CCA cracked. I
reflowed it and haven't had a problem since with different
interconnects. The Monsters were are a real bitch to remove.

ScottW

ScottW

Arny Krueger wrote:
ScottW wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:

Monster have a particular reputation for being way

overpriced and
rather tatty.

Agreed.

I call 'em tighty... an overly tight monster interconnect

cost me a
solder joint on my preamp.

We used to hear this same song RS Gold interconnects.

They suck.

Nope crappy preamps

Yamaha C-70

and people who don't know how to mate
and unmate connectors...

I hope this made you feel better. Now go tell your therapist what you
just did.

ScottW

Laurence Payne

On 1 Jun 2005 12:38:53 -0700, "ScottW" wrote:

Nope crappy preamps

Yamaha C-70

and people who don't know how to mate
and unmate connectors...

A quick Google reveals that Yamaha make (or made) a C-70 guitar, a
C-70 electric piano, a C-70 boat motor...

And also a preamp that has sockets with no mounting other than the
soldered connection to the circuit board? Shame!
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:22:38 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

**Whether it is worth paying any more than US$0.50 for interconnects, will
depend on several factors:

Whoops! He calls them interconnects, not cables. Audiophile alert!
(Or he sells them, so must not QUITE state they're snake-oil:-)

**Do you have anything of use to add to the discussion? Or do you wish to
show everyone that you are a moron, incapable of holding a reasonable,
rational discussion?

Thought so.

Temper temper! :-)

"Interconnect" is a term invented in audiophile circles. People who
make music, record music professionally find it slightly amusing.

You must be used to having audiophile ideas mocked? Deal with it :-)
Sander deWaal

Laurence Payne said:

And also a preamp that has sockets with no mounting other than the
soldered connection to the circuit board? Shame!

Common practice in consumer gear.
The recessed holes in the backpanel are counted upon to keep the
connectors in place, but as Scott noted, there's always some room to
wiggle.

Especially with Monster connectors.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Trevor Wilson

wrote:

**Whether it is worth paying any more than US$0.50 for interconnects,
will
depend on several factors:

Whoops! He calls them interconnects, not cables. Audiophile alert!
(Or he sells them, so must not QUITE state they're snake-oil:-)

**Do you have anything of use to add to the discussion? Or do you wish to
show everyone that you are a moron, incapable of holding a reasonable,
rational discussion?

Thought so.

Temper temper! :-)

"Interconnect" is a term invented in audiophile circles. People who
make music, record music professionally find it slightly amusing.

**'Interconect' is a perfectly descriptive, perfectly understandable term,
which is widely used by professionals and amateurs alike.

You must be used to having audiophile ideas mocked?

**Actually, I am acoustomed to wiping the smug smile from the faces of
alleged professionals.

Deal with it :-)

**I do. Daily.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

ScottW

Laurence Payne wrote:
On 1 Jun 2005 12:38:53 -0700, "ScottW" wrote:

Nope crappy preamps

Yamaha C-70

and people who don't know how to mate
and unmate connectors...

A quick Google reveals that Yamaha make (or made) a C-70 guitar, a
C-70 electric piano, a C-70 boat motor...

And also a preamp that has sockets with no mounting other than the
soldered connection to the circuit board? Shame!

Never heard an RCA receptacle called a socket. In any case there is a
plastic body to a pair of sockets which is screwed to the rear plate
but it doesn't provide enough support to overcome a Monster turbine.

Where could you determine if there is or isn't a mechanical mount to
the RCA jack on the net? I can't see the screws on any photos...black
on black and the manual doesn't show them.

ScottW

ScottW wrote:

The Monsters were are a real bitch to remove.

Was this a Monster "Turbine" connector? As Sander noted, they are a
real disaster. A friend had an experience similar to yours (the RCA
jack gave up before the connector did) with an upper end Denon (IIRC)
pre-amp about 10 years ago. It's the bad design of the connector, _not_
user error.

Laurence Payne

On 1 Jun 2005 15:07:02 -0700, "ScottW" wrote:

And also a preamp that has sockets with no mounting other than the
soldered connection to the circuit board? Shame!

Never heard an RCA receptacle called a socket.

Well, you have now :-)

In any case there is a
plastic body to a pair of sockets which is screwed to the rear plate
but it doesn't provide enough support to overcome a Monster turbine.

Where could you determine if there is or isn't a mechanical mount to
the RCA jack on the net? I can't see the screws on any photos...black
on black and the manual doesn't show them.

By the op's statement that withdrawing a tight connection caused
stress on a solder joint.

Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

and people who don't know how to mate
and unmate connectors...

Take it from Arny, he practices mating connectors with the boys in the
basement.

Note, he uses 'RCA' plugs (real cheap ass plugs)

Clyde Slick

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
On 1 Jun 2005 12:38:53 -0700, "ScottW" wrote:

Nope crappy preamps

Yamaha C-70

and people who don't know how to mate
and unmate connectors...

A quick Google reveals that Yamaha make (or made) a C-70 guitar, a
C-70 electric piano, a C-70 boat motor...

And also a preamp that has sockets with no mounting other than the
soldered connection to the circuit board? Shame!

Google lies, ask Arny.

Clyde Slick

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

**Actually, I am acoustomed to wiping the smug smile from the faces of
alleged professionals.

ok, you're an income tax auditor, big deal!

Peter

wrote:

But best of all why not purchase your own cable from a store that carries
Belden, Alpha Wire, etc., and make your own cables? This is surely one of
the last ways where DIY still applies with our hobby.

You feel brand-name cable is required?

No, as long as you are able to obtain a detailed description of the raw
cable that you are planning to purchase, and it is fabricated by a
trustworthy manufacturing company. However I do not believe that there will
be large cost differences between brand-name and "unknown manufacturer" raw
cables.

C what I mean

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

**Actually, I am acoustomed to wiping the smug smile from the faces of
alleged professionals.

ok, you're an income tax auditor, big deal!

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Ok.. that was pretty good!

dave weil

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 21:36:16 -0700, "Peter" reply to newsgroup only
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

But best of all why not purchase your own cable from a store that carries
Belden, Alpha Wire, etc., and make your own cables? This is surely one of
the last ways where DIY still applies with our hobby.

You feel brand-name cable is required?

No, as long as you are able to obtain a detailed description of the raw
cable that you are planning to purchase, and it is fabricated by a
trustworthy manufacturing company.

You mean like Belden?

Larry Caldwell

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Well, I checked that at RS, and they have no way to do it, and I'm in the
middle of nowhere, so It'll have to be internet.

Check again, though the RCA plugs that fit coax require quite a bit of
soldering for a good connection. RS does sell them.

Contrary to popular mythology, the best connectors are metal to like
metal. Plain tin plugs in a plain tin jack will work as well as
anything. Monster cables may look cute, but they don't work any better
than soldering iron specials that only cost a few pennies.

The mark-up on cables is even worse than the 300% mark-up on jewelry.

Laurence Payne

On 2 Jun 2005 11:01:54 -0700, "Larry Caldwell"
wrote:

Check again, though the RCA plugs that fit coax require quite a bit of
soldering for a good connection. RS does sell them.

Contrary to popular mythology, the best connectors are metal to like
metal. Plain tin plugs in a plain tin jack will work as well as
anything. Monster cables may look cute, but they don't work any better
than soldering iron specials that only cost a few pennies.

The mark-up on cables is even worse than the 300% mark-up on jewelry.

I am amazed that audiophiles in search of the ultimate connection
don't use tag strips and solder. Difficult to make it expensive
enough to be truly beneficial I suppose :-)
dave weil

wrote:

Check again, though the RCA plugs that fit coax require quite a bit of
soldering for a good connection. RS does sell them.

Contrary to popular mythology, the best connectors are metal to like
metal. Plain tin plugs in a plain tin jack will work as well as
anything. Monster cables may look cute, but they don't work any better
than soldering iron specials that only cost a few pennies.

The mark-up on cables is even worse than the 300% mark-up on jewelry.

I am amazed

Yes, that much is apparent.

Trevor Wilson

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Well, I checked that at RS, and they have no way to do it, and I'm in the
middle of nowhere, so It'll have to be internet.

Check again, though the RCA plugs that fit coax require quite a bit of
soldering for a good connection. RS does sell them.

Contrary to popular mythology, the best connectors are metal to like
metal. Plain tin plugs in a plain tin jack will work as well as
anything. Monster cables may look cute, but they don't work any better
than soldering iron specials that only cost a few pennies.

The mark-up on cables is even worse than the 300% mark-up on jewelry.

**Really? Examples? Evidence?

BTW: I retail cables. I make the most profit margin from the cheapest
cables. Some of my competitors mark up cheap cables to levels which approach
absurdity. I had rectify a bunch of faults in an extremely complex AV system
a few years ago. All the faults were caused by the installer's use of VERY
cheap, crappy cables, which had been manufactured to LOOK like expensive
cables. I buy those cables (more correctly: I CAN buy those cables) for
about AUS$1.60/1 Metre pair. I don't buy them, because they're carp. They
sound like crap (in good systems), they exhibit high levels of capacitance,
have poor shielding and are very poorly terminated. My client showed me his
invoice. He had been charged AUS$167.00 for those cables! I replaced them
with moderately high grade cables, which I charged out at AUS$40.00 each. I
pay $22.00 for those cables. The REALLY exotic cables I sell provide me with
around 30% profit margin.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

severian

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

BTW: I retail cables. I make the most profit margin from the cheapest
cables. Some of my competitors mark up cheap cables to levels which

approach
absurdity. I had rectify a bunch of faults in an extremely complex AV

system
a few years ago. All the faults were caused by the installer's use of VERY
cheap, crappy cables, which had been manufactured to LOOK like expensive
cables. I buy those cables (more correctly: I CAN buy those cables) for
about AUS$1.60/1 Metre pair. I don't buy them, because they're carp.

Sounds fishy to me...