Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Here we go again!

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
ups.com

The Ampex units are total overkill for domestic use. I'd
take a Revox A700 over an Ampex any day. For speed
stability, that direct drive Pabst capstan motor
combined with the electronic servo tensioning, was just
unbeatable. And the electronics were modern and quiet.

Plus, unlike the Ampex, the whole package doesn't take
up an entire room.

What's better about a Revox than an AG440 or a 351?

The A77 had a number of advantages over those old Ampexes especially the
351- size, weight, price, reliability, and availability. All that and
equivalent or better performance.

Unlike you Bret, I've actually seen and touched a 351. The thing is about
the size of a washing machine and about as portable. People who carted 351s
around to record live performances were heroes!

Besides, aren't the Studer versions of the Revox
generally easier to use and more desireable?

Only in terms of practical use. ;-)

The new head and other part suppliers are geared up to
supply Ampex parts, morso than anything else.

The real problem is that restoring or even maintaining a reel-to-reel
recorder is an act of love, not an act of utility.

Plus, 351 transports can be had for free sometimes, and
you can build your own electronics or use the aftermarket
Inovonics units.

A few years back, I turned down the gift of a PR 99, admittedly in need of
some parts. A friend who lives nearby has a 351 in his basement.