Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ted Ted is offline

Default Onkyo Sub shuts down

I bought a Onkyo SK10W sub on Ebay (yep first mistake) and hooked it to my
Onkyo TX-SR303. After it is plugged into AC for about two minutes it stops
amplifying. If I unplug and try it again it works another two minutes. I
switched to another subwoofer using the same wire and it worked fine. I
tweaked the crossover with no effect. Am I looking at a new amp board? I
have $63 in it as it sets. Fix or cut my losses?

Thank in advance

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"Ted" wrote in message
et...
I bought a Onkyo SK10W sub on Ebay (yep first mistake) and hooked it to

my
Onkyo TX-SR303. After it is plugged into AC for about two minutes it stops
amplifying. If I unplug and try it again it works another two minutes. I
switched to another subwoofer using the same wire and it worked fine. I
tweaked the crossover with no effect. Am I looking at a new amp board? I
have $63 in it as it sets. Fix or cut my losses?

You have probably already followed a similar train of thought but here
goes...

How much does a new one cost?

How bad do you need it? I.e. how much money is an okay amount to spend to
fix it?

What diagnostic/repair skills do you have? Equipment to do the job?

Unless you're prepared to fix it yourself, you're going to pay upwards of
$50 per hour both to diagnose the problem, if it be diagnose-able, AND $50
per hour to fix it. Minimum. Plus parts.

How much is a replacement amp board from Onkyo? Is it even available?

There's any number of things that could be wrong with it. When you say it
"stops amplifying" do you mean the whole unit shuts down? Like you turned
it off? Are there any lights on it that would indicate the unit it still
powered on? There's all kinds of sensors the unit MAY or may not have which
would trigger it to go into protection mode. Might be a fault in the power
supply. Maybe your output transistors are too hot. Maybe a leaky cap is
letting DC voltage into your output stage. Maybe the whole amp is a
transformer, fuse, and one giant proprietary IC which, even if by some
miracle you could test, is not available as a replacement part.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ted Thomas Ted Thomas is offline

I have started looking into the availablity of parts and new board. I hold
an extra class ham license and have built some kits in the past. I can use a
soldering iron. I have just enough knowledge to really screw it up

Today found if I turn the crossover knob clockwise until it stops and then
apply pressure it starts working. I am not sure if it is the variable
capacitor or more serous like I am chasing the correct frequency on a bad
board.

"Ted" wrote in message
et...
I bought a Onkyo SK10W sub on Ebay (yep first mistake) and hooked it to

my
Onkyo TX-SR303. After it is plugged into AC for about two minutes it stops
amplifying. If I unplug and try it again it works another two minutes. I
switched to another subwoofer using the same wire and it worked fine. I
tweaked the crossover with no effect. Am I looking at a new amp board? I
have $63 in it as it sets. Fix or cut my losses?

Thank in advance

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"Ted Thomas" wrote in message
news
I have started looking into the availablity of parts and new board. I hold
an extra class ham license and have built some kits in the past. I can use

soldering iron. I have just enough knowledge to really screw it up

Hey you're only $63 into it and, if it doesn't work, that money is gone
anyway. You've got much to gain and little to lose.

Today found if I turn the crossover knob clockwise until it stops and then
apply pressure it starts working. I am not sure if it is the variable
capacitor or more serous like I am chasing the correct frequency on a bad
board.

The crossover cap network is basically a low pass filter, if that variable
cap is not operating properly it can really screw up what frequencies are
passed through to the amp module. If you've got the equipment I'd suggest
injecting a 40-50Hz signal directly to the amp input and see if it works,
otherwise figure out the value of your variable capacitor and short it with
a cap in the middle of the range to see if you get sound. If you do,
replace the variable capacitor OR calculate your rolloff frequency and put a
pseudo-permanent cap in there and call it good.

A good place to start would be to buy a can of good contact cleaner and see
if you can get any into the works of that knob... it may just be dirty
contacts inside.

Dave

"Ted" wrote in message
et...
I bought a Onkyo SK10W sub on Ebay (yep first mistake) and hooked it to

my
Onkyo TX-SR303. After it is plugged into AC for about two minutes it

stops
amplifying. If I unplug and try it again it works another two minutes. I
switched to another subwoofer using the same wire and it worked fine. I
tweaked the crossover with no effect. Am I looking at a new amp board? I
have $63 in it as it sets. Fix or cut my losses?

Thank in advance

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Ted Thomas wrote:

Today found if I turn the crossover knob clockwise until it stops and
then apply pressure it starts working. I am not sure if it is the
variable capacitor or more serous like I am chasing the correct
frequency on a bad board.

Given this, maybe just bad solder connections at this control, or in that
general area.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ted Ted is offline

I went back and soldered every contact,drilled holes in the crossover
variable resistor and ran control cleaner through it followed by a warm air
drying and resealed. It worked fine for about 6 hrs and then just
stopped,but continued as a passive sub.

"

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Ted wrote:
I went back and soldered every contact,drilled holes in the crossover
variable resistor and ran control cleaner through it followed by a
warm air drying and resealed. It worked fine for about 6 hrs and then
just stopped,but continued as a passive sub.

How on earth could it continue as a passive sub? You used an external
electronic crossover and power amp?

Or just mechanically coupled from the existing room speakers?

(Which BTW would add little to nothing to your bass output)

Mark Z.