Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

Default 7.2 A/V _Preamp_

I may be a bit of a rare bird, but I'm looking for a 7.2 preamp, namely,
something that will take HDMI in, separate it into 7.2, and provide
line-level (preferably balanced) audio outputs which I will feed to a
power amp as well as the ability to select from multiple HDMI inputs
and send video to an HDMI (hopefully HDCP2.2 compatible) output.

I do not need a power amp and I'd rather not pay for one if I'm just
going to bypass it (presuming a receiver has pre-outs) to go to my
power-amp(s).

I would also appreciate a variety of 7.2 mixdown modes, e.g., to
2-channel stereo, 4-channel, etc., and the ability to route the bass
channels in a variety of ways.

I saw the NAD C501 which looks somewhat like what I'm after, but it only
has stereo two-channel audio outputs.

Any pointers or thoughts would be appreciated.
--
Randy Yates, DSP/Embedded Firmware Developer
Digital Signal Labs

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 5/08/2017 11:54 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
Wow, active group these days....

Yep not too active, but probably a few like me who saw your post and
have no idea of any devices that fit your requirements. I can only say
I'd agree with your comment, "a bit of a rare bird". Probably not a big
enough market. Most people just buy a sound bar these days, or a full HT
receiver.

Trevor.

Randy Yates writes:

I may be a bit of a rare bird, but I'm looking for a 7.2 preamp, namely,
something that will take HDMI in, separate it into 7.2, and provide
line-level (preferably balanced) audio outputs which I will feed to a
power amp as well as the ability to select from multiple HDMI inputs
and send video to an HDMI (hopefully HDCP2.2 compatible) output.

I do not need a power amp and I'd rather not pay for one if I'm just
going to bypass it (presuming a receiver has pre-outs) to go to my
power-amp(s).

I would also appreciate a variety of 7.2 mixdown modes, e.g., to
2-channel stereo, 4-channel, etc., and the ability to route the bass
channels in a variety of ways.

I saw the NAD C501 which looks somewhat like what I'm after, but it only
has stereo two-channel audio outputs.

Any pointers or thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Once upon a time on usenet Trevor wrote:
On 5/08/2017 11:54 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
Wow, active group these days....

Yep not too active, but probably a few like me who saw your post and
have no idea of any devices that fit your requirements. I can only say
I'd agree with your comment, "a bit of a rare bird". Probably not a
big enough market. Most people just buy a sound bar these days, or a
full HT receiver.

Yep, I read it and couldn't help with existing knowledge. 7.2 is certainly
not common and anything I could have /found/ that might have helped the OP
could also have found.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Trevor.

Randy Yates writes:

I may be a bit of a rare bird, but I'm looking for a 7.2 preamp,
namely, something that will take HDMI in, separate it into 7.2, and
provide line-level (preferably balanced) audio outputs which I will
feed to a power amp as well as the ability to select from multiple
HDMI inputs and send video to an HDMI (hopefully HDCP2.2
compatible) output. I do not need a power amp and I'd rather not pay for
one if I'm just
going to bypass it (presuming a receiver has pre-outs) to go to my
power-amp(s).

I would also appreciate a variety of 7.2 mixdown modes, e.g., to
2-channel stereo, 4-channel, etc., and the ability to route the bass
channels in a variety of ways.

I saw the NAD C501 which looks somewhat like what I'm after, but it
only has stereo two-channel audio outputs.

Any pointers or thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz[_2_] Tim Schwartz[_2_] is offline

Good morning all,

I'm a bit surprised by your comments. I had replied directly to the
original poster. There are several AV preamp -processors on the market,
such as the NAD T187 and M17, Arcam AV860, Rotel RSP-1582, McIntosh
MX160, MX122, MX121.

These are certainly NOT cost saving alternatives, as they are often
just as expensive as the same company's 'top end' AV receivers, but they
are available.

Regards,
Tim

On 8/4/2017 9:54 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
Wow, active group these days....

Randy Yates writes:

I may be a bit of a rare bird, but I'm looking for a 7.2 preamp, namely,
something that will take HDMI in, separate it into 7.2, and provide
line-level (preferably balanced) audio outputs which I will feed to a
power amp as well as the ability to select from multiple HDMI inputs
and send video to an HDMI (hopefully HDCP2.2 compatible) output.

I do not need a power amp and I'd rather not pay for one if I'm just
going to bypass it (presuming a receiver has pre-outs) to go to my
power-amp(s).

I would also appreciate a variety of 7.2 mixdown modes, e.g., to
2-channel stereo, 4-channel, etc., and the ability to route the bass
channels in a variety of ways.

I saw the NAD C501 which looks somewhat like what I'm after, but it only
has stereo two-channel audio outputs.

Any pointers or thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Once upon a time on usenet Tim Schwartz wrote:
Good morning all,

I'm a bit surprised by your comments. I had replied directly to the
original poster. There are several AV preamp -processors on the
market, such as the NAD T187 and M17, Arcam AV860, Rotel RSP-1582,
McIntosh MX160, MX122, MX121.

These are certainly NOT cost saving alternatives, as they are often
just as expensive as the same company's 'top end' AV receivers, but
they are available.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim. Your previous reply didn't show up in my newsreader.
--

Randy Yates writes:

I may be a bit of a rare bird, but I'm looking for a 7.2 preamp,
namely, something that will take HDMI in, separate it into 7.2, and
provide line-level (preferably balanced) audio outputs which I will
feed to a power amp as well as the ability to select from multiple
HDMI inputs and send video to an HDMI (hopefully HDCP2.2
compatible) output. I do not need a power amp and I'd rather not pay for
one if I'm just
going to bypass it (presuming a receiver has pre-outs) to go to my
power-amp(s).

I would also appreciate a variety of 7.2 mixdown modes, e.g., to
2-channel stereo, 4-channel, etc., and the ability to route the bass
channels in a variety of ways.

I saw the NAD C501 which looks somewhat like what I'm after, but it
only has stereo two-channel audio outputs.

Any pointers or thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"~misfit~" writes:

Once upon a time on usenet Tim Schwartz wrote:
Good morning all,

I'm a bit surprised by your comments. I had replied directly to the
original poster. There are several AV preamp -processors on the
market, such as the NAD T187 and M17, Arcam AV860, Rotel RSP-1582,
McIntosh MX160, MX122, MX121.

These are certainly NOT cost saving alternatives, as they are often
just as expensive as the same company's 'top end' AV receivers, but
they are available.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim. Your previous reply didn't show up in my newsreader.

He emailed me directly. I didn't mind, but I think it's more beneficial
to put it out here in the group.

Thanks again, Tim, these are great suggestions.
--
Randy Yates, DSP/Embedded Firmware Developer
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Once upon a time on usenet Randy Yates wrote:
"~misfit~" writes:

Once upon a time on usenet Tim Schwartz wrote:
Good morning all,

I'm a bit surprised by your comments. I had replied directly to the
original poster. There are several AV preamp -processors on the
market, such as the NAD T187 and M17, Arcam AV860, Rotel RSP-1582,
McIntosh MX160, MX122, MX121.

These are certainly NOT cost saving alternatives, as they are often
just as expensive as the same company's 'top end' AV receivers, but
they are available.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim. Your previous reply didn't show up in my newsreader.

He emailed me directly. I didn't mind, but I think it's more
beneficial to put it out here in the group.

I agree, especially if you're then going to refer to the 'reply' in the
group.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Thanks again, Tim, these are great suggestions.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/08/2017 7:59 PM, Trevor wrote:
On 5/08/2017 11:54 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
Wow, active group these days....

Yep not too active, but probably a few like me who saw your post and
have no idea of any devices that fit your requirements. I can only say
I'd agree with your comment, "a bit of a rare bird". Probably not a big
enough market. Most people just buy a sound bar these days, or a full HT
receiver.

As I found. Needed a sound-bar because these latest ultra-thin TV seem
to have sound so tinny that it is pretty much unlistenable. And firing
up the stereo hook-up is too much hassle for 'everyday' viewing. I save
the stereo for 'special ' events.

But 7.2 , why ? Why not 11-6 or 15.9 ? Or maybe just 8 for real 3D.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.tech

geoff writes:

On 5/08/2017 7:59 PM, Trevor wrote:
On 5/08/2017 11:54 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
Wow, active group these days....

Yep not too active, but probably a few like me who saw your post and
have no idea of any devices that fit your requirements. I can only
say I'd agree with your comment, "a bit of a rare bird". Probably
not a big enough market. Most people just buy a sound bar these
days, or a full HT receiver.

As I found. Needed a sound-bar because these latest ultra-thin TV seem
to have sound so tinny that it is pretty much unlistenable. And
firing up the stereo hook-up is too much hassle for 'everyday'
viewing. I save the stereo for 'special ' events.

But 7.2 , why ? Why not 11-6 or 15.9 ? Or maybe just 8 for real 3D.

Because that's the current standard? Except for this Dolby Atmos thingie
now.

Actually I've been existing just fine for 50 years on 2.0, including my
home theater room. Plain old stereo works pretty good when the audio
system is powerful, clean, and wide-range (the Klipschorns go reasonably
well down to 30 Hz).

At this point I've given up on a prebuilt unit and am leaning towards a
PC-based system. I am thinking of using something like this for the
audio:

https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i...s/scarlett-2i2

I'll start with one box (two outputs) and add more if needed.

The question of the type of PC is currently a big issue. I've considered units
like this fanless PC

https://www.logicsupply.com/ml450g-52/

or just a plain laptop so that I can have the system in the theater and
not have to deal with some sort of USB and HDMI extender, but I'm also
attracted to the idea of a full-power desktop to provide plenty of
storage and a PCI-e bus for a powerful 4K graphics card like the Nvidia
X.
--
Randy Yates, DSP/Embedded Firmware Developer
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

PS: One big issue in basing it on a PC is the ability to play new BluRay
DVDs and the copy protection is a real bear to get around.

A potential way around that is to buy an HDMI input card, then transcode
to the system HDMI output. But then the HDCP copy protection revision of
the input card becomes an issue.

Fighting this battle seems to be never-ending.

--RY

Randy Yates writes:

geoff writes:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 28/10/2017 10:30 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
PS: One big issue in basing it on a PC is the ability to play new BluRay
DVDs and the copy protection is a real bear to get around.

A potential way around that is to buy an HDMI input card, then transcode
to the system HDMI output. But then the HDCP copy protection revision of
the input card becomes an issue.

Can you just rip the Bluray to hard drive and remove the copy protection
using something like DVDFab, like you can for DVD?

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

On 29/10/2017 12:23 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
geoff writes:

On 5/08/2017 7:59 PM, Trevor wrote:
On 5/08/2017 11:54 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
Wow, active group these days....

Yep not too active, but probably a few like me who saw your post and
have no idea of any devices that fit your requirements. I can only
say I'd agree with your comment, "a bit of a rare bird". Probably
not a big enough market. Most people just buy a sound bar these
days, or a full HT receiver.

As I found. Needed a sound-bar because these latest ultra-thin TV seem
to have sound so tinny that it is pretty much unlistenable. And
firing up the stereo hook-up is too much hassle for 'everyday'
viewing. I save the stereo for 'special ' events.

But 7.2 , why ? Why not 11-6 or 15.9 ? Or maybe just 8 for real 3D.

Because that's the current standard? Except for this Dolby Atmos thingie
now.

Seems to be a new 'standard' every year or so.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Trevor writes:

On 28/10/2017 10:30 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
PS: One big issue in basing it on a PC is the ability to play new BluRay
DVDs and the copy protection is a real bear to get around.

A potential way around that is to buy an HDMI input card, then transcode
to the system HDMI output. But then the HDCP copy protection revision of
the input card becomes an issue.

Can you just rip the Bluray to hard drive and remove the copy
protection using something like DVDFab, like you can for DVD?

Hi Trevor,

First note that I'll be using linux. I don't think DVDFab will
run under linux.

Also note that I don't need to do anything special for DVDs - opensource
apps like vlc play them just fine without any messing with.

Apparently the Blu-ray DRM is more advanced and changes, making it more
difficult to "crack." I read some about it here but admit it still seems
quite mysterious:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blu-ray
--
Randy Yates, DSP/Embedded Firmware Developer
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

Hi Randy,

I have no personal experience with BluRay since I don't have a BluRay
drive in my computer. I think that DVDFab can remove the protection from
BluRay disks though. Whether there is something similar for Linux I have
no idea, but possibly worth a look.

Trevor.

On 2/11/2017 12:57 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
Trevor writes:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/11/2017 7:00 PM, Trevor wrote:
Hi Randy,

I have no personal experience with BluRay since I don't have a BluRay
drive in my computer. I think that DVDFab can remove the protection from
BluRay disks though. Whether there is something similar for Linux I have
no idea, but possibly worth a look.

Surely even ardent Linux adherents keep a Win PC in the cupboard, just
for the occasional convenience ? Or do they all keep heads in sand ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Trevor writes:

Hi Randy,

I have no personal experience with BluRay since I don't have a BluRay
drive in my computer. I think that DVDFab can remove the protection
from BluRay disks though. Whether there is something similar for Linux
I have no idea, but possibly worth a look.

I can certainly fire up my win10 vm and use it there, it's just
inconvenient.

Thanks much for the suggestion, Trevor.

--Randy

Trevor writes:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 28/11/2017 1:25 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
Trevor writes:

Hi Randy,

I have no personal experience with BluRay since I don't have a BluRay
drive in my computer. I think that DVDFab can remove the protection
from BluRay disks though. Whether there is something similar for Linux
I have no idea, but possibly worth a look.

I can certainly fire up my win10 vm and use it there, it's just
inconvenient.

Thanks much for the suggestion, Trevor.

You are more than welcome if it is any help.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Thanks much for the suggestion, Trevor.

You are more than welcome if it is any help.

So if it wasn't of any help, then he's not welcome?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 30/11/2017 5:31 AM, Tobiah wrote:
Thanks much for the suggestion, Trevor.

You are more than welcome if it is any help.

So if it wasn't of any help, then he's not welcome?

I know it's a bit slow here, but stupid comments don't add much value. :-(

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 11/29/2017 05:02 PM, Trevor wrote:
On 30/11/2017 5:31 AM, Tobiah wrote:
Thanks much for the suggestion, Trevor.

You are more than welcome if it is any help.

So if it wasn't of any help, then he's not welcome?

I know it's a bit slow here, but stupid comments don't add much value. :-(

Then it's a wonder that you hang out on rec.audio.pro!
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 15/12/2017 5:14 AM, Tobiah wrote:
On 11/29/2017 05:02 PM, Trevor wrote:
On 30/11/2017 5:31 AM, Tobiah wrote:
Thanks much for the suggestion, Trevor.

You are more than welcome if it is any help.

So if it wasn't of any help, then he's not welcome?

I know it's a bit slow here, but stupid comments don't add much value.
:-(

Then it's a wonder that you hang out on rec.audio.pro!

Thankfully there are still some here who actually contribute something
of value. Sadly there are trolls everywhere too. :-(

Trevor.