Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default NAD 8100 powered speakers

I picked up a set of these, minus drivers yesterday. I've not been able
to find anything about them on the web. The only reference was a German
one which showed a different unit.

The ones I have took a 5 1/4 inch low driver--smallish tweeter (1"?).
I've retreaded them with Polk drivers I had laying around.

The amp is a three-chip model using TDA 2030's, two bridged for lows,
and a single for the high end (biamped). A sense circuit decides when
signal is present and fires a relay which turns on the amp. There is no
power switch, only an input switch (three ins on the back panel, one
'hifi', one 'TV low'; and a 'TV high' which is divided off the TV
low...obviously a speaker level input. In addition there is an audio
out...all on RCA's.

Despite the fact that I obtained these ($5) with the power cords cut
off, the one I've tried appears to work, but needs an inordinate amount
of signal (1/2 volt?...haven't done measurments) to switch on. There is
a distortion issue in the low end when power output exceeds a certain
amount--perhaps due to the 4 ohm speaker I used on the bridged amp.

Has anybody seen these things before? They appear to be fairly well
constructed. I want to give them to my kids for computer sound.

jak