Posted to rec.audio.pro
rorytmeadows rorytmeadows is offline

Default wav-mp3 files MESSED UP - a solution will be a miracle...

I have a couple mp3 files I converted at one point from wav files.
Stupid me, I deleted the original wavs before checking the quality. My
files are insanely distorted and sound in higher pitch/faster speed
with intense static playing with them. I desparately need them
converted to something LISTENABLE. Is there anything that can fix this
or someone that knows audio modding to at least get something
listenable? If I find a solution, I will consider this a miracle...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Rudge Tom Rudge is offline

rorytmeadows wrote:
I am willing to provide the track to anyone willing to help or a sample
of it...

Getting someone to respond would be the first step.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julian Julian is offline

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 00:08:40 -0400, Tom Rudge wrote:

rorytmeadows wrote:
I am willing to provide the track to anyone willing to help or a sample
of it...

Getting someone to respond would be the first step.

maybe if he posted a short sample somewhere someone would take a look.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julian Julian is offline

On 8 Oct 2006 10:13:54 -0700, "rorytmeadows"
wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/rorytmeadows/destroyed.mp3

WOW! I don't see how that can be salvaged. I'll be you'll keep the
wav next time until you're sure the mp3 is OK. Sorry.

Julian

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

I don't know how to help you with this mp3....
But....
How did you do that?
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Federico wrote:
I don't know how to help you with this mp3....
But.... How did you do that?

Any time you do any sort of digital audio file format convesion, things
can get messed up, partucularly if you use a program with too many
settings.

How he did "that" was by having too much confidence in the MP3
conversion and didn't check it before deleting the original sources and
running off to play.

"Haste makes waste," as my father used to say.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

"rorytmeadows" wrote in
oups.com:

http://www.geocities.com/rorytmeadows/destroyed.mp3

In this sample the nominal zero level is at or below negative full scale.
Also, the sample (mono) is running double speed.

Translation: The top half of the wave (which goes off the scale +DBFS)
starts at the very bottom of the scale. There is no negative side of the
wave. I have no information on how far below -DBFS the signal might have
gone.

Pure speculations:
1) Could it perhaps have added both sides of a stereo signal to a mono
file?
2) Perhaps something wrong with the MP3 header incorrectly defining a
stereo file as mono?

Played back at half speed, it sounds like a call-in radio show with one guy
on a noisy phone connection and the other on a good mic.

No, I don't know how to fix it. A few quick fix ideas had minimal impact.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

Pure speculations:
1) Could it perhaps have added both sides of a stereo signal to a mono
file?
2) Perhaps something wrong with the MP3 header incorrectly defining a
stereo file as mono?

Played back at half speed, it sounds like a call-in radio show with one
guy
on a noisy phone connection and the other on a good mic.

What if I want to obtain a similar effect? It may be nice in a experimental
song...
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Harold Harold is offline

Default wav-mp3 files MESSED UP - a solution will be a miracle... (long)

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
"rorytmeadows" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

I had a play with it as well, and managed to recover some audio from the
sample. I ended up with what sounds like two blokes - off-mic and talking
down a well. Certainly not broadcast quality, listenable at a pinch, but
only if you needed to transcribe it. In fact, it sounds a bit like those
old radio transcription discs that have a fair bit of surface noise.

I'm relatively new at this side of the business - so apologies up front if
I do things that the pros on this board throw their hands up in dismay at.

Here's what I did:
(I'm using Audition 2.0 ... other programs may have different prompts.)

The OP's mp3 was a 44.1KHz at 16-bit mono file.

Opened it in Audition, and cut the level by 10dB. (to save my ears)

Saved the file as PCM Raw Data. (*.pcm, *.raw)
(Why? Because I've stuffed-up in saving an audio file before, and my
results sounded very much like the OP's).

Opened that newly-saved file ('destroyed.pcm') in a new session. Audition
asks what it should "Interpret Sample Format as"?

I chose 48KHz (only because I'd been working on something at that rate
previously), and 8-bit resolution, in mono.

Next dialogue box [PCM Raw Data (no header)], I selected 8-bit Unsigned.

Knocked the level down by a further 10dB.

At this stage, you can actually begin to make out the conversation, behind
the noise and hiss.

Had a play with Noise and Hiss reduction, but might leave it to the pros
in this board to take it further.
(The OP has a copy of what I finished up with but, I daresay, someone else
should get a better result.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz Lorin David Schultz is offline

Federico wrote:

What if I want to obtain a similar effect? It may be nice in a
experimental song...

Digi's "D-Fi" plug for Pro Tools will do that.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)