Richard Crowley

Default How to connect RCA Audio Plug to speaker wires?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Jack3000" wrote in message ...
The 6.1 surround sound system I have is one from Creative Labs that
connects to the computer. The subwoofer for this system has jacks in
the back of it where all the the speakers connect from. There's no
mismatch of equipment here, I simply followed the directions that
came with the speakers. I only came across a problem when I needed
to use different wire because the wire that came with the system
wasn't long enough. Hopefully, with the advice that you all
provided, I can successfully complete the installation of my rear
speakers.

Are you CERTAIN that the RCA jack input on your subwoofer
is SPEAKER level and not LINE level? It is highly unusual
for a subwoofer to have an RCA jack for speaker level input
(unless is it is a little plastic "toy" computer speaker or something)

Actually, RCA speaker jacks are not unusual with low-cost systems. My

church
has a low-powered integrated amp from Radio Shack that is built this way.

It looks like "Jack3000" is indeed talking about a plastic
"computer speaker" surround kit. I made the mistake of
assuming he was talking about a "real" (12" or larger)
home theatre type subwoofer.

Jack3000

The speaker system I have is the Creative Labs MegaWorks THX 6.1, and
from what I've read it's far from a "toy".
http://us.creative.com/products/prod...24&product=152

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. Perhaps the subwoofer is also
something else too. I don't know the specifics. All I know is that I
just needed to extend the wires that came with the system.

Richard Kuschel

http://us.creative.com/products/prod...ategory=24&pro

duct=152

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. Perhaps the subwoofer is also
something else too. I don't know the specifics. All I know is that I
just needed to extend the wires that came with the system.

In my business, that is indeed a "toy".

Now to solve your problem.

Really easy--go to Radio Shack with one of the speakers and ask for an
extension cable of the correct type.

The cable will have a Male connection on one end and a female on the other with
a piece of wire between them.

No soldering and no need to worry about polarity changes.

If you are looking for a heavier gauge wire, buy the ends and hook up whatever
wire will lfit into them.

Wire does not worry about polarity so just make sure that you solder the same
at each end. I generally use "zip " cable for speakers and use the side with
the rib on it for the + terminal , which in the case of RCAconnection is the
center pin.
Richard H. Kuschel

GMAN

In article , "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Jack3000" wrote in message ...
The 6.1 surround sound system I have is one from Creative Labs that
connects to the computer. The subwoofer for this system has jacks in
the back of it where all the the speakers connect from. There's no
mismatch of equipment here, I simply followed the directions that came
with the speakers. I only came across a problem when I needed to use
different wire because the wire that came with the system wasn't long
enough. Hopefully, with the advice that you all provided, I can
successfully complete the installation of my rear speakers.

Are you CERTAIN that the RCA jack input on your subwoofer
is SPEAKER level and not LINE level? It is highly unusual
for a subwoofer to have an RCA jack for speaker level input
(unless is it is a little plastic "toy" computer speaker or something)

I understand what Jack3000 means now. His speakers are computer speakers. The
RCA jack he is trying to connect to on the Subwoofer unit is an OUTPUT to the
rear surround speakers. The amp in the Subwoofer is for the whole system. He
is just trying to make a longer pair of wires to run his rear surround
speakers farther away and to the back of the room.