Arny Krueger

Default Behringer ECM8000 help req.

Thomas A wrote:

Sorry for jumping in but I am in the process to buy a new mic +
soundcard and have looked at the ECM-8000. Does anyone know if the
frequency response curve presented in the manual is typical of the mic
or does it measure different from that curve? I know that there might
be individual variations between mics, but not how large ones that can
be expected.

IME the Behringer spec sheet is pretty close to reality. We've been
discussing the possibility that there's a roll-off below 40 Hz. If there is
one, it's not problematical. It's a heck of a buy.

Ken Kantor

Thanks for the info, Herb. The dB-ish variations towards the
frequency extremes between samples of the ECM-8000 shouldn't be a big
issue to the amateur speaker builder trying to, say, develop a
crossover. At least that is my opinion. I just love them because
they let me keep my more precious mics off the work bench, away from
spray adhesive, ferrofluid, and welding torches...

I'm not sure what to say about the low end differences we find, other
than mentioning the fact that the mic has a fairly small output
coupling cap. As such, the difference between a 600 Ohm preamp input
and a 3,000 Ohm input could mean the difference between an 8 Hz and 40
Hz rolloff. I'm not saying this is the case, but it is at least
plausible.

-k

Herb Singleton wrote in message ...
In article ,

I compared them with the TerraSonde ATB's stock Type-2 mic (which in
turn has been measured by a 3rd party calibration lab) using
substitution methods. I've found the ECM-8000's to be +/- 1 to 1.5 dB
from 100 Hz to 10kHz. As with Arny I've found a low-frequency rolloff,
but (as mentioned in this threat) it seems to be dependent on the amp.

The one interesting thing is that even though all three mics were fairly
flat, the response curves weren't consistent. It looks like you can't
just substitute one ECM-8000 for another and expect the same response -
but it will be close.

Ken Kantor

Here's some information you all might find interesting (or not). I
decided to look into the LF performance of my mics with more accuracy.
I had a tech build a test fixture that can accept standard General
Radio mic calibration adaptors, and which was designed to provide
inherently flat sound pressure (within 0.5 dB from below 10 Hz to
above 1,000 Hz.

Using this method I found 2 ECM8000's that showed a 1 to 2 dB dip in
their response between 20 and 40 Hz! Below and above this range, they
returned to flat. I did NOT see this effect using free-field
substitution against the reference mic. This possibly suggests some
interaction between the capsule venting and the GR-style adapters.

For the record, my best LF calibrated mic (a GR) verified the test
fixture exactly, down below 10 Hz. However, my MB 550 actually showed
an increase below 20 Hz, reaching almost +2 dB at 10 Hz.

I still consider the Berhingers superbly flat compared to the ref mics
(also including ACO and B&K), especially in the free field which how
they will likely be used. However, it was interesting that I was able
to find the reported drop below 40 Hz, however, minor, under some test
conditions.

And I am glad I designed a test fixture I have confidence in at very
low freqs. Thanks for the motivation!!

-k

Herb Singleton wrote in message ...
In article ,

I compared them with the TerraSonde ATB's stock Type-2 mic (which in
turn has been measured by a 3rd party calibration lab) using
substitution methods. I've found the ECM-8000's to be +/- 1 to 1.5 dB
from 100 Hz to 10kHz. As with Arny I've found a low-frequency rolloff,
but (as mentioned in this threat) it seems to be dependent on the amp.

The one interesting thing is that even though all three mics were fairly
flat, the response curves weren't consistent. It looks like you can't
just substitute one ECM-8000 for another and expect the same response -
but it will be close.

Arny Krueger

Ken Kantor wrote:

[...]

It seems like the two have you have settled the question of whether or not
the ECM8000 is useable as a subwoofer analysis device.

The answer would be "yes".

That's good news!

ItsTooLoud

I have an ECM8000 that a friend claims is not accurate. Where can I get it
tested? Of course, this IS a $40 mic, I don't want to spend a hundred bucks
having it tested...

Paul Andre

[...]

Leo Cornole

Thanks Mr. Kantor! I hope this was not a hassle to do this good work
on this topic, and that I am not bothing you too much with my
questions. One question: once you decide you know the exact mic
reponse, how to you apply the correction when you are using the mic?
Equalizer? Software? Preamp control adustment?

Last question, is the cal curve accurate for very different sound
levels?

Thanks again, and I would be honored by your reply!

Sincerely,

Leo

Ken Kantor wrote:

[...]

Ken Kantor

Hi.

1- How the correction is applied depends on the type of measurement
being made. In most cases, the microphone signal feeds analysis
software and a stored microphone compensation file is applied to the
data before it is displayed.

2- I haven't noticed any frequency response changes that are related
to sound pressure level, provided the microphone is not being
overloaded by SPL's which cause excessive harmonic distortion. If you
need to make accurate measurements at levels over about 110 dB,
however, it is probably best to invest in a "real" condensor
microphone. One of the limitations of inexpensive electrets like the
ECM8000 is their ability to deal with extreme signal levels.

110 dB might seem excessively loud, but it is quite possible if the
microphone is positioned very close to the speaker cone.

-k