Bill Darden

Default Car Battery Tips

Top Ten Starting Battery Tips

1. Wear glasses when working with a battery, because it might
explode.

2. Keep your non-sealed battery properly filled with distilled water
and the top clean. The plates must be covered at all times.

3. To prevent permanent sulfation when not in use and especially in
hot weather, keep your battery continuously connected to a "smart" or
maintenance charger or recharge your battery at least one per week.
Cheap unregulated "trickle" chargers will kill your battery.

4. In hot climates, keep your battery as cool as possible and
non-sealed Low Maintenance or sealed AGM batteries are recommended.

5. When buying a replacement battery, be sure it matches your
charging system & Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) requirements, physically
fits, and is fresh.

6. Keep the battery cable mating surfaces and terminals free from
corrosion.

7. Avoid a deep discharge of your battery. This could kill it.

8. For longer battery life, do not add acid or additives and keep
your battery securely fastened.

9. Use chargers (or settings) that will recharge batteries over eight
to ten hours.

10. Thaw out a frozen battery before attempting to jump or recharge
it and always jump batteries positive-to-positive and
negative-to-negative. For negative grounded electrical systems, the
last negative connection should be to the frame or engine block away
from the battery.

For additional battery information, please go to
http://www.batteryfaq.org.

GregS

In article , "JohanWagener" wrote:
1. Wear glasses when working with a battery, because it might

Hahaha. I wonder if this has ever happened? Its just so highly unlikely but
stil they warn against it on any battery

Remember the old saying, never look into the cells with a match.
I know a fellow who did this. Wasn't me.

I know a local junk yard that tests batteries by shorting them with a jumper.
The bigger the spark, the better.

I once acedently ran a big screwdriver across a big battery in the back of a military van.
i jumped out before mounds of acid hit the ceiling.

greg
scott johnson

my neighbor was victim to a battery explosion while trying to jumpstart a
car. he was covered from the waist up with acid when the top of the battery
burst open. luckily,he turned his head and avoided getting it in his eyes.

"JohanWagener" wrote in message
1. Wear glasses when working with a battery, because it might

Hahaha. I wonder if this has ever happened? Its just so highly unlikely

but
stil they warn against it on any battery

Sanitarium

I am an ex- toyota Mechanical engineer (quality control), NUMMI plant
Fremont CA. Some battery stories...

A friends 96 tacoma had the battery explode... The top blew off and
slammed the hood. It shot up and the + - terminals put huge dents on
the hood.

In the engineering audit lab a co-worker was removing the battery "-"
clamp with a large wrench. Something happened, I guess he slipped, and
the wrench bridged across the + and - posts. Sparks and smoke flew as
he jumped back, when the smoke cleared a little, the wrench melted and
welded itself across the terminals and was RED hot. He used channel
lock pliars and tried to pull the wrench off the posts, but it was too
hazardous. Flames broke out and the rubber/foam components in the
engine caught fire.

Fortunately in both these incident no one was hurt.

Garrett

Bill Darden wrote:

[...]

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"JohanWagener" wrote:

1. Wear glasses when working with a battery, because it might

Hahaha. I wonder if this has ever happened? Its just so highly unlikely but
stil they warn against it on any battery

Yes. Car batteries contain a mixture of air, oxygen, and hydrogen above
the electrolyte. They can explode with enough force to spray acid if a
plate breaks or shorts (a common failure mode) while you're working on
it.