Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] superb_forever@yahoo.com is offline

Default JJ ECC99 for CCDA

Hello All!
I want to build a tube linestage based on the design I found yesterday
called CCDA.

This is the link of this circuit which I saw from the www.tubecad.com

http://www.tubecad.com/2009/03/blog0161.htm

http://www.tubecad.com/2009/04/blog0162.htm

They also present a regulator called Feed-forward shunt regulator, is
this regulator is a must for CCDA circuitry. Can I build a power
supply with big reservoir along with gas tube regulator instead of
using FFSR in the power supply?

Will it be a good choice by putting ECC99 in the CCDA?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

wrote:
Hello All!
I want to build a tube linestage based on the design I found yesterday
called CCDA.

This is the link of this circuit which I saw from the
www.tubecad.com

http://www.tubecad.com/2009/03/blog0161.htm

http://www.tubecad.com/2009/04/blog0162.htm

They also present a regulator called Feed-forward shunt regulator, is
this regulator is a must for CCDA circuitry. Can I build a power
supply with big reservoir along with gas tube regulator instead of
using FFSR in the power supply?

The whole point of the CCDA seems to be it draws a constant current from
the supply and hence
Quote:
the design of the power supply is greatly
simplified and the need for expensive parts is lessened
. Since
the current draw is constant a straightforward supply with a big
reservoir would be OK.

However, note the following:

1. For good ripple reduction (always a must for preamps) you are better
off with several RC decoupling stages than a single one. For example if
you use a 10K resistor and 100uF capacitor you will get better ripple
reduction if you replace it with five sets of 2K resistors and 20uF
capacitors. Total resistance and capacitance is the same but ripple
reduction is hugely improved.

2. IMHO the CCDA concept is a waste of time. In class A circuits with RC
decoupling the current draw from the power supply already IS constant no
matter what circuit topology is used. Moment to moment current variation
needs are provided by the C in the RC decoupling.

Cheers

Ian
Will it be a good choice by putting ECC99 in the CCDA?

Define 'good choice'

Cheers

ian
Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

flipper wrote:
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:54:49 +0100, Ian Bell

[...]

No it isn't. Power supply filtering has no impact on what the
*circuit* current demand is.

I never said it did.

Moment to moment current variation

Which means it isn't constant despite you just saying it was..

The circuit downstream of the last, i.e. local, RC decoupling has moment
to moment changes. If the final RC filter (i.e. local) is sufficient to
be effective at reducing ripple it acts as a local charge store to
provide for moment to moment circuit currents. The current flowing from
the supply is virtually constant.

needs are provided by the C in the RC decoupling.

Except it's on the outboard side of all that hum filtering.

What are you talking about. The CCDA circuit reference has R9 and C4
local decoupling.

You can, of course, make the last filter cap arbitrarily large but
it's moot with CCDA because current demand is constant.

But any RC filter also present already has the same effect.

One of the benefits is reduced crosstalk because there's,
theoretically, '0' signal ripple on the supply.

Also one of the benefits of proper decoupling.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

flipper wrote:
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:50:53 +0100, Ian Bell
wrote:

flipper wrote:
[...]

May not be what you 'meant' but it is what you said.

Unless you're trying to play semantics by arguing 'some' RC filers are
part of the power supply while 'other' RC power filters aren't.

Sounds to me like you are the one who is playing semantics.

Moment to moment current variation
Which means it isn't constant despite you just saying it was..

The circuit downstream of the last, i.e. local, RC decoupling has moment
to moment changes.

Exactly, it isn't constant.

If the final RC filter (i.e. local) is sufficient to
be effective at reducing ripple it acts as a local charge store to
provide for moment to moment circuit currents.

That's what I said with "You can, of course, make the last filter cap
arbitrarily large."

That's the point you are missing. There's no need to make the last
filter cap, by which I presume you mean the one AT the preamp,
arbitrarily large.

The current flowing from
the supply is virtually constant.

As I said, the effect of non constant current can be made arbitrarily
small with arbitrarily large filtering.

As I said, normal local RC decoupling values are more than sufficient to
achieve this effect. There is no need to use an arbitrarily large cap.

needs are provided by the C in the RC decoupling.
Except it's on the outboard side of all that hum filtering.

What are you talking about.

I'm talking about your multi-stage RC filter suggestion.

That is part of the power supply itself, not the preamp.

The CCDA circuit reference has R9 and C4
local decoupling.

Yep. So?

So, if the current is constant why have the decoupling??

You can, of course, make the last filter cap arbitrarily large but
it's moot with CCDA because current demand is constant.

But any RC filter also present already has the same effect.

An RC filter can only approximate the effect as you make it
arbitrarily large.

How many times do I have to say this, there is no need to make it
arbitrarily large.

In real life component tolerances will also prevent the CCDA from
being a 'perfect 0'.

So the current will not be constant.

One of the benefits is reduced crosstalk because there's,
theoretically, '0' signal ripple on the supply.

Also one of the benefits of proper decoupling.

'Proper' is dependant on circuit needs and the needs are less with a
constant current draw.

Proper decoupling PROVIDES a near constant current draw, at least as
good as a CCDA with normal tube tolerances.

Look, no one said there's only 'one way' to do it. The point was a
constant current draw eases the PS design and what does it cost past
some clever thinking?

Yes, that is the point.Exactly how has the power supply design for this
preamp been eased. What circuit simplifications are possible in the PSU
because of using a CCDA??

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

flipper wrote:
[...]

I come late to this thread.

Power supplies for the preamp stages shown don't need to be elaborate
and any old CRCRCRC filter using Si diodes and 470uF electros will do as
long as the hum at the final C 0.1mV, and the RC filters have C at
least 470uF and R at least 100 ohms.
So a supply which produces b

The use of 3 filter RC sections 100ohms +470uF will give a 100Hz
attenuation of 1/27,000 approximately.
If Ia for 2 channels = 40mA, the Vripple is 0.2Vrms approx at C4, and
will be lees than 0.1mV at C3.
With only 4vdc across each 100 ohms, the B+ at C1 could be as low as
+215V, but then if a given PT makes more than +265V, the R can be
increased to still give 200V at C4. A plastic cap should also be used to
bypass the final C4 electro, 0.47uF is OK.

But I looked at the page at http://www.tubecad.com/2009/03/blog0161.htm

The use of 6SN7 halves each with Ia = 10mA and Ea = 100V is not the
right way to build a preamp IMHO.

The RL are 10k only, which is only slightly more than Ra, and to get a
1/2 6SN7 to produce low THD/IMD and to sound its best the RL should be
far higher than 10k for both the gain tube and CF.

Therefore the use of CC Source for anode dc supply and the cathode CC
Sink would be wise. There is utterly no need for Ia = 10mA; 6 mA is
plenty, and signal will be clean. With a CCS to V1 anode, there is no Ia
current change and only a voltage change. Therefore the use of an
unbypassed Rk will not reduce gain which will be close to 20, or the µ
of the tube because there is no local current FB, so it doesn't matter
if you bypass the Rk or not. Anyone who can detect sonic differences can
send their reports to the Society Of Doubtful Audiophiles, SODA, asap
for official verification.

Some slight variation to the CCDA preamp to allow for real world
applications is at

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/Line-preamp-2003.htm

Patrick Turner.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Fri, 01 May 2009 09:53:25 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Some slight variation to the CCDA preamp to allow for real world
applications is at

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/Line-preamp-2003.htm

Patrick Turner.

Patrick, in that article you say that the most people are likely to
want out of this would be 0.25V RMS, yet it demands power supplies of
+250V, +125V and -125V. Are you entirely sure you have thought this
through as well as you might?

Also I wonder about your assumptions about the anode loading. The
current source is not buffered, so the Early Effect comes into play. I
reckon that for the MJE350 you are seeing an effective anode load
purely in that transistor of about 50kohms (about 150k for the MJE340
in the cathode follower). So not only is the current source in the
anode doing very little by way of constant current, but that in the
following cathode is largely shunted by an indeterminate load
resistance in whatever follows, so is also essentially redundant.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Nick Gorham Nick Gorham is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

Therefore the use of CC Source for anode dc supply and the cathode CC
Sink would be wise. There is utterly no need for Ia = 10mA; 6 mA is
plenty, and signal will be clean. With a CCS to V1 anode, there is no Ia
current change and only a voltage change. Therefore the use of an
unbypassed Rk will not reduce gain which will be close to 20, or the µ
of the tube because there is no local current FB, so it doesn't matter
if you bypass the Rk or not. Anyone who can detect sonic differences can
send their reports to the Society Of Doubtful Audiophiles, SODA, asap
for official verification.

Except its not true (I made the same assumption in the past) at AC the
valve is still seeing a load of 40k ( 50k pot || 120k feedback || CCS )
so the current through the cathode resistor will still vary with signal,
so there will be local degeneration on the cathode, so reduction in gain
and increase in anode resistance.

--
Nick
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

flipper wrote:

wrote:

flipper wrote:
[...]

No, power supply filtering is power supply filtering.

Moment to moment current variation
Which means it isn't constant despite you just saying it was..

The circuit downstream of the last, i.e. local, RC decoupling has moment
to moment changes.
Exactly, it isn't constant.

If the final RC filter (i.e. local) is sufficient to
be effective at reducing ripple it acts as a local charge store to
provide for moment to moment circuit currents.
That's what I said with "You can, of course, make the last filter cap
arbitrarily large."

That's the point you are missing. There's no need to make the last
filter cap, by which I presume you mean the one AT the preamp,
arbitrarily large.

For heaven's sake, it has to be SOME value. How do you pick it? By the
amount ripple, whether AC hum or signal induced. you're willing to
live with. The less ripple you want the more filtering you need.

You can make it as large as you like and, without a spec here, that's
arbitrarily large, depending on how much filtering you want.

"Arbitrarily large:" pick a ripple spec ---- pick filter large enough
to achieve it.

The current flowing from
the supply is virtually constant.
As I said, the effect of non constant current can be made arbitrarily
small with arbitrarily large filtering.

As I said, normal local RC decoupling values are more than sufficient to
achieve this effect.

Whatever the heck 'normal' means it's less if there's a constant
current draw.

There is no need to use an arbitrarily large cap.

'Normal' is 'arbitrarily large'.

needs are provided by the C in the RC decoupling.
Except it's on the outboard side of all that hum filtering.

What are you talking about.
I'm talking about your multi-stage RC filter suggestion.

That is part of the power supply itself, not the preamp.

As I thought. Playing semantics.

Power supply filtering is power supply filtering.

The CCDA circuit reference has R9 and C4
local decoupling.
Yep. So?

So, if the current is constant why have the decoupling??

Ask the designer.

You can, of course, make the last filter cap arbitrarily large but
it's moot with CCDA because current demand is constant.

But any RC filter also present already has the same effect.
An RC filter can only approximate the effect as you make it
arbitrarily large.

How many times do I have to say this, there is no need to make it
arbitrarily large.

You can say it all you like but it's still nothing more than you
bitching about the choice of words.

The fact of the matter is it needs to be larger when current isn't
constant.

In real life component tolerances will also prevent the CCDA from
being a 'perfect 0'.

So the current will not be constant.

That's right. Nothing is perfect.

Which might be a good reason to have a nominal filter as well. On the
other hand, a thousand times less current variation (arbitrarily
selected) might be insignificant enough.

One of the benefits is reduced crosstalk because there's,
theoretically, '0' signal ripple on the supply.

Also one of the benefits of proper decoupling.
'Proper' is dependant on circuit needs and the needs are less with a
constant current draw.

Proper decoupling PROVIDES a near constant current draw,

Filtering doesn't CHANGE the circuit's current draw ONE WHIT

at least as
good as a CCDA with normal tube tolerances.

If you make the filtering arbitrarily large enough, yes.

Just makes it a simpler to deal with if the current ripple is zero, or
close to it.

Look, no one said there's only 'one way' to do it. The point was a
constant current draw eases the PS design and what does it cost past
some clever thinking?

Yes, that is the point.Exactly how has the power supply design for this
preamp been eased. What circuit simplifications are possible in the PSU
because of using a CCDA??

Less filtering needed and it comes for FREE, past expending a bit of
mental effort.

There is no less filtering. Having a constant current draw does not
reduce the the requirements to reduce ripple. I see no simplification of
the power supply.

Cheers

ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

Are you sure, wouldn't supply rail signal also cancel out between the
two stages?

--
Nick
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Nick Gorham wrote:

Are you sure, wouldn't supply rail signal also cancel out between the
two stages?

Thinking a bit more, no it wouldn't.

--
Nick

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Nick Gorham wrote:

wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

That's the idea behind the CCDA but you still need to reduce mains
ripple the dame a before.

Cheers

ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

flipper wrote:

wrote:

flipper wrote:
[...]

You just love the heck out of semantic word games.

The "requirement to reduce ripple" is based on what you pick as a
design maximum. Having no signal current is 0 ripple, which I suspect
is less than your 'requirement'.

Ah, now I see where we are misunderstanding each other. The 'requirement
to reduce ripple' that I am talking about is mains hum ripple on the HT.
You seem to think I mean signal current ripple - I don't.

I see no simplification of
the power supply.

If you don't see that reducing 0 to 0 is simpler then that's your
problem.

Look, CCDA or not, there is a need to reduce mains ripple to an
acceptable level. That is what primarily determines the values of PSU
smoothing and down stream RC decoupling components.

The decoupling RC at the pre-amp are part of this and as a by product of
reducing HT hum to acceptable levels they also smooth out signal ripple
currents. Hence my original comment that IMHO the CCDA ia waste of time.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

Some slight variation to the CCDA preamp to allow for real world
applications is at

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/Line-preamp-2003.htm

Patrick Turner.

Patrick, in that article you say that the most people are likely to
want out of this would be 0.25V RMS, yet it demands power supplies of
+250V, +125V and -125V. Are you entirely sure you have thought this
through as well as you might?

The tubes concerned with loads as shown work best with the voltages
shown.

By "best" I mean with low THD and a normal comfortable dynamic cieling
of 40dB above 0.25Vrms.

On rarely ever uses the ceiling provided by tubes but that's the nature
of tube use.

But please don't let me hold you up if you insist on using an opamp
operating from +/- 10Vdc.

Just don't insist on me having to use an opamp, or on me having to use
tubes with +/-12V supplies.

Also I wonder about your assumptions about the anode loading. The
current source is not buffered, so the Early Effect comes into play. I
reckon that for the MJE350 you are seeing an effective anode load
purely in that transistor of about 50kohms (about 150k for the MJE340
in the cathode follower). So not only is the current source in the
anode doing very little by way of constant current, but that in the
following cathode is largely shunted by an indeterminate load
resistance in whatever follows, so is also essentially redundant.

If you'd done your home work, you'd have built a sample of my circuit
and discovered perhaps to your amazement that indeed the effective
collector resistance of the many applications of my single BJT CCS is
extremely high, and far more than the 50k you cite.

Build the circuit, then measure the voltage change across the emitter
resistance and hence emitter current change for a given large voltage
signal at the anode/collector.

Then divide collector voltage change by colector current change to find
the effective collector resistance. You will find it is a huge figure
like a pentode with large value cathode resistance.

People keep lumbering me with criticisms that the Early Effect stops the
BJT as I have it from having a high enough effective collector
resistance that makes it into what can be considered to be a CCS.

They don't offer me any proof that the Early Effect will rain on my
parade.

I've used similar CCS in LTPs and as long as the anode loads are within
1% of having the same resistance, so are the two anode voltages.
In a typical 6SN7 with say 47k per anode, the ONLY way to get virtually
equal anode + and - voltages is if the CCS common cathode tail has many
megohms of resistance.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

flipper wrote:
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:54:49 +0100, Ian Bell

Hello All!

Snip....

Look, no one said there's only 'one way' to do it. The point was a
constant current draw eases the PS design and what does it cost past
some clever thinking?
Yes, that is the point.Exactly how has the power supply design for this
preamp been eased. What circuit simplifications are possible in the PSU
because of using a CCDA??

Less filtering needed and it comes for FREE, past expending a bit of
mental effort.

There is no less filtering. Having a constant current draw does not
reduce the the requirements to reduce ripple. I see no simplification of
the power supply.

Where you have a CCS operating from a noisy B+ rail, then the low Ra of
a triode acts to form a resistance divider with the CCS.
Because the low Ra is so much lower than the CCS actual R value, noise
in the B+ rail cannot affect triode gain stage.

But where a following CF buffer stage had its anode fed with noisy B+
rail, some of the noise will appear at the cathode output.

So B+ filtering always needs to be good.

Patrick Turner.

Cheers

ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Nick Gorham wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

OK, in many of my circuits there is a CCS to feed the wanted idle dc
flow to the triode.
This avoids a resistance. To get from Ea = +125V to the B+ of +250V, and
at say 6mA, the R if used would have to be about 20k. In addition to
this there may well be a gain pot and a FB shunt resistance who's total
R is say 40k, and 40k AC load in parallel with 20k is about 13.3k, and
only about 1.3Ra, a load value which will always produce much more
THD/IMD than if you had a total anode load of 40k, which will be about
4Ra.

Have a look at my page on another preamp,
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/preamp...rated-2006.htm
The µ-follower stages shown have the voltage gain produced by the bottom
triodes at very low THD because the effective anode circuit is kept as
high as possible.

And yet another...
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/preamp...e+psu-2005.htm

This one uses a CCS feed to a normal common cathode but also with shunt
NFB and a gain pot. THD is extremely low because the anode load is high
relative to Ra, and there is shunt NFB.
Gain is only 4x, or +12dB, so a maximum 1.4Vrms CD player signal can be
fed in and it comes out at 5.6Vrms maximum and still at low THD.
Having the gain tube before the gain pot means there tube noise is also
attenuated and SNR is excellent.

Patrick Turner.

--
Nick

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't dream of it, you already have everything you need right
there. The pair of BJTs in there in the signal path (and yes, they
really are despite being configured as loads), why not take out that
superfluous pair of valves, and do the job just with the trannies.
Those valves really are there simply as something glowing to look at
as you have vastly more gain than you need without them.

As for signal headroom, you need to look at that in system terms. You
say you have 40dB - what on earth for? Do you think the following
amplifier is going to accept 250V of signal with any kind of
equanimity? There is no point taking headroom in any stage beyond the
clipping point of a subsequent stage - all you are doing is
misaligning successive dynamic ranges to the detriment of both
distortion and noise floor.

[...]

We don't even need to worry about Early effect - you have described in
the text how the current source is completely slugged by resistors
hanging across it (to the tune of 40k). And of course there should be
no AC loading on the B+ line - you use local decoupling to take care
of that.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

Nick Gorham wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

Yep thats all good. But I was just referring to your statement that the
cathode resistor doesn't require bypassing because of the CCS in the
anode load. I made exactly this mistake myself assuming the CCS would
hold the signal current constant so a bypass was not needed. In fact the
signal current through the cathode resistor (in this case) is just the
same as if you used aprox 40k anode load. As to if you want to bypass or
not is another question, I was just making people aware that if its not
bypassed gain will be reduced, and effective anode resistance will be
increased.

--
Nick
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

flipper wrote:

major snippage

There will be 'some' signal ripple rejection from the last filter but,
under the best of conditions, the preceding 'hum' ripple stages are
irrelevant.

Agreed that preceding hum ripple stages are nor relevant to this discussion.

I.E. If they have no droop then the last filter's droop
(from signal) is the 'max' but anything less than 'perfect' in the
preceding stages simply aggravates the matter.

The problem can be highlighted by considering a 120Hz signal tone. If
it took 4 RC stages on the supply side to get 120Hz hum to acceptable
levels then only 1 cap on the signal side might not be enough and the
situation only gets worse as we go on down to 20Hz.

That is the key question. If the triodes are matched to 10% then the
signal current will only cancel to 10% of its original value. Let's be
generous and assume the triodes match to within 5% that will reduce the
signal current in the HT by 26dB, theoretically at all frequencies.

I have just simulated a 6SN7 CC stage with a 33K anode load, 1K cathode
resistor and final stage decoupling consisting of a modest 10uF cap with
a 4K7 series resistor. I checked the ac current in the anode resistor
and the 4K7 decoupling resistor at 120Hz and it is 30dB below the
current in the anode resistor. So at 120Hz it looks as good as the CCDA.
Yes it will be worse at lower frequencies. At 20Hz the signal ripple is
just 15dB down. At higher frequencies it is of course better. At 1KHz
it is nearly 50dB down.

Now, granted, that's not rigorous, because it depends on impedance,
current draw, and other factors, but, the point is, simply having
enough 'on the front' to handle hum doesn't necessarily mean you're
walking in high cotton on the signal side.

Perhaps not, but the simulation above indicates that in the vast
majority of cases it will be more than enough to beat the CCDA hands down.

Cheers

Ian

It's also worth looking at his whole design because that's not the
only 'enhancement' he used. In particular, he used an active feed
forward ripple reducer to, again, save on caps. That means, in the
simplest case, there's hardly any output reservoir cap at all. No
wonder he added 'just one more', I would've added one anyway just to
make sure any potential MOSFET noise didn't get through.

Now, whether anyone can 'hear the difference' I don't know but I've
noticed that Broskie is almost obsessed with PSRR in not only this one
but his Akido amp, which gets rave reviews, so just maybe it's worth
considering.

Cheers

Ian
Cheers

ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

[...]

I doubt you really belong on this news group.

You seem like the guy who tries to convince those who like to saila
around the bay that they hsould furl their sails, and chop down their
mast, and use a ****ing diesel engine.

I've been accused of using transistors as part of a hybrid circuit by
quite a few clowns before your sort came along.

The use of a transistor CCS simply avoids having to use a pentode CCS or
high value choke of some other type of high ac resistance dc supply.
because the bjt CCS **is a a virtual CCS** the bjt contribution to
distortion artifacts in the signal or any possible deleterious
coloration of the signal is **impossible**. Indded, the bjts act as very
willing slaves to enable what the tubes want to do, ie, amplify a line
level signal with minimum distortion for such a low amount of applied
NFB.

YOU could easily devise whatever BJT contraption you wish, and moor
around the bay if you wish, but I am happy to rely on the wind, and free
of the smell and noise of a diesel engine.

In essence, I'll do it my way thanks.

As for signal headroom, you need to look at that in system terms. You
say you have 40dB - what on earth for? Do you think the following
amplifier is going to accept 250V of signal with any kind of
equanimity? There is no point taking headroom in any stage beyond the
clipping point of a subsequent stage - all you are doing is
misaligning successive dynamic ranges to the detriment of both
distortion and noise floor.

Bull****.

If I have to make enough voltage to make an insensitive power amp clip,
such as williamson, 2Vrms, or Quad-II, 1.4Vrms,
then the preamp fidelity could happily benefit by having at least 20dB
headroom above the voltages just quoted, ie able to easily make 20Vrms
before the preamp clips.

Most tube preamps can make 50Vrms at clipping with say 5% THD, mainly
2H, without any loop NFB, typical with 6SN7, 12AU7 etc.
With loop FB the THD is reduced to maybe 2% with gain at 1/4 of the open
loop gain at 50Vrms.
Therefore since we might be feeding a preamp with a CD signal of 1.4vrms
max, then Vo = 5.6Vrms and THD will be perhaps 0.2%.

But most intelligent people wouldn't use any gain stage between CD
player and their power amp, but only whe they have to use a low level
input signal typical of older gear, maybe 200mV, and the the preamp
output is only 0.8Vrms and THD = 0.13% max.

The lower the B+ voltages, the lower the dynamic range and the higher is
the THD for the same output voltage.

Intelligent ppl wanting to use a CD player won't need any gain, but will
only need a buffer stage with unity gain after the gain attenuator, so
the gain stage can be bypassed with CD player signal fed directly to
gain attenuator. A CF buffer is a nice sounding solution.

[...]

All resistance loading of triodes is essentially evil because of the
increasing distortion as the load value becomes lower. CCS loading or
will always try to have loads on mediu, µ triodes to be 4Ra or higher.

People using triodes for line level stages to get the best sound will do
well to have the highest load possible.

If you examine the anode Ra curves for triodes, you'll see that loads
approximating close to a horizontal load line give excellent natural
linearity, regardless of the Ia. A 6SN7 triode will thus give excellent
linearity anywhere between 3mA and 10mA.

Pentodes could also be used with a CCS like I have shown but then the
gain ( and distortion ) becomes enormous, and way to high for any line
preamp, so then the shunt FB network with similar R divider values used
for the triode will then limit gain to the same mild +12dB that is
wanted. It means open loop gain of perhaps 300 is reduced to 4, a drop
by a factor of 1/75, and 7% open loop THD at 50Vrms is reduced to 0.12%
approx, and at 5Vrms output perhaps its only 0.01%. Whether the pentode
with a shunt FB network sounds better than the triode is a moot point,
but such things were used in much pro gear of the 1950s and 60s.

There is nothing at all to stop you using a Ziclai connected pair of
bjts for a gain stage to do the same job as a pair of triodes.
Be my guest, and if it sounds as well as the triodes, they you're lucky.

There must be 101 ways of building a line stage preamp. I have my
reasons for doing the tube stages my way as shown at my website.

I have also built solid state amps, and I'm sure the nit-pickers of this
world will vehemently disagree with my ways of doing things.
I am not moved by their rantings, and will only take any notice if they
quit the bull**** and set up a website to illustrate their principles
backed up with a large number of tested examples of their work.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Nick Gorham wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Nick Gorham wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

OK, fair enough.

But in a case of a µ-follower stage where the bottom gain triode has a
very high RL, or in the case of a gain stage + CF buffer where the gain
stage as a CCS, then the cathode signal current in an Rk is very low so
gain approaches the µ of the triode. Even with a 12AU7 with unbypased Rk
you get gain = 15x including the CF. This is too much for most preamps,
so then you have to reduce it with a shunt NFB network which does not
load down the gain stage, but which itself isn't too high an impedance
path.

With 12AU7, and 40k RL, open gain max with bypassing is about 12, and
unbypassed its about 8.

One reason to bypass the Rk is to keep the effective Rout as low as
possible. With an unbypassed Rk, Rout effectively becomes RL in parallel
with (Ra + {[µ+1] x Rk}).
For best bandwidth you want Rout as low as possible, so bypassing isn't
the evil nelly its made out to be.

Patrick Turner.

--
Nick

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Sun, 03 May 2009 15:20:45 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Patrick Turner.

Patrick, having had a proper look at the circuit and its function, I
can see that what you have designed is a chindogu.It will still
function perfectly if you remove every component apart from the
sockets, switch and pot - all you need to do is turn the pot ever so
slightly more clockwise than would otherwise be the case.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

Patrick Turner.

Patrick, having had a proper look at the circuit and its function, I
can see that what you have designed is a chindogu.It will still
function perfectly if you remove every component apart from the
sockets, switch and pot - all you need to do is turn the pot ever so
slightly more clockwise than would otherwise be the case.

I think some gem of wisdom is lost on me. I am not fully equipped to
understand everything, such as what a "chindogu" is. Maybe its a special
American way of saying something is especially badly designed.

I intend to keep my mast, and my sails, and to not instal a bigger
diesel engine to "pull better lookin chicks".

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

Patrick Turner.

Patrick, having had a proper look at the circuit and its function, I
can see that what you have designed is a chindogu.It will still
function perfectly if you remove every component apart from the
sockets, switch and pot - all you need to do is turn the pot ever so
slightly more clockwise than would otherwise be the case.

I think some gem of wisdom is lost on me. I am not fully equipped to
understand everything, such as what a "chindogu" is. Maybe its a special
American way of saying something is especially badly designed.

No it is a Japanese thing. What it amounts to is a completely
pointless invention - look it up, there are some very amusing ones.
Your preamp falls nicely into that category, because everything inside
it is entirely pointless, since there is already enough signal going
in. As I say above, all that is actually needed is a bunch of sockets,
a switch and a pot - job done.

I intend to keep my mast, and my sails, and to not instal a bigger
diesel engine to "pull better lookin chicks".

But that is precisely what you have done - all those sexy glowing
tubes, and all. The diesel engine analogy is actually rather apt - hot
and noisy.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

[...]

Ah, your post is so elegantly dismissive of so much.

Were we to apply your philosophy to the world we could shoot 3/4 of
everyone and all they have made, because they are merely suplerflous,
and their need for possessions is all just irrational greed and
stupidity thus ruining a good world. We might begin at least with the
bankers and wayward financiers of recent times. Then for some after
dinner sport we could atom bomb the backyard of Pakistan and save having
to go over and dig out Osama and his ratbag mates from the limestone
caves.

Do you really need a wife to cook your dinner, and darn your socks? It'd
be so much easier to abreviate any need for her complex and boring
perceptions about houskeeping and surely you should rationalise the
amount of time you have to waste listening to her small talk about
grocery prices.

I kinda think you'd be on your own pretty soon if you consistently
applied your ideas, and tried to run for President.

Meanwhile, I have said to many people that all they need to get a signal
from a CD player to a speaker is an integrated amplifier or perhaps a
little box with a 50k pot and source select switch inside, and a pair of
power amps.
This all works fine for some folks until they have a low level source,
insensitive power amps and insensitive speakers.

Then gain is needed.

No matter what I say, people contact me to build them a preamp and often
the reason is because they just want to try something with tubes.
That 2003 preamp with grey anodized case gave the owner a fine item
which he said sounded fabulous.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest that whenever we look at the high-end audio gear
products made in the US, we see 40dB more chingdogu than what one might
see in my amps, if you insist on examinations and reformations.

IMHO, the best way to listen to music is to go where real musicians and
singers are performing without any electronic aids whatsover.

Take your dear lady wife and friends and enjoy the outing. Try to stop
yourself making dumb comments about what they are wearing and their
hairstyles.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

[...]

Ever come across William Heath Robinson?, or Rube Goldberg in the
States? Not sure if there is an Aussie equivalent, but I guess there
probably is.

Do you really need a wife to cook your dinner, and darn your socks? It'd
be so much easier to abreviate any need for her complex and boring
perceptions about houskeeping and surely you should rationalise the
amount of time you have to waste listening to her small talk about
grocery prices.

I kinda think you'd be on your own pretty soon if you consistently
applied your ideas, and tried to run for President.

We don't have one of those here. We have an idiot Prime Minister who
claimed that he had designed boom and bust out of the British economy.

Meanwhile, I have said to many people that all they need to get a signal
from a CD player to a speaker is an integrated amplifier or perhaps a
little box with a 50k pot and source select switch inside, and a pair of
power amps.
This all works fine for some folks until they have a low level source,
insensitive power amps and insensitive speakers.

Then gain is needed.

2dB? I think probably insufficient. In such a case, of course, a
preamp would be needed - but that really isn't what we are talking
about here, is it?

No matter what I say, people contact me to build them a preamp and often
the reason is because they just want to try something with tubes.
That 2003 preamp with grey anodized case gave the owner a fine item
which he said sounded fabulous.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest that whenever we look at the high-end audio gear
products made in the US, we see 40dB more chingdogu than what one might
see in my amps, if you insist on examinations and reformations.

IMHO, the best way to listen to music is to go where real musicians and
singers are performing without any electronic aids whatsover.

I do that about once a week. I'll be seeing Jeff Beck at the Albert
Hall in August. Would you call his amplification an electronic aid, or
a necessary part of the instrument? That is a great and necessary use
of valves, I think.

Take your dear lady wife and friends and enjoy the outing. Try to stop
yourself making dumb comments about what they are wearing and their
hairstyles.

Patrick Turner.

I have not the slightest idea what any of that was about.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

[...]

When I have gone to a local venue here when the Jazz teachers sometimes
give a concert, there is the inevitable bass player with bass amp and
speakers. It usually sounds boomy and awful, not because tubes are used,
but for other acoustics reasons. A Jazz guitar needs the reverb and amp
distortions, and because F is higher there are less acoustics bothers.

But one lady who teaches Harp in the classical music School gave a
concert with a whole bunch of digital processing gear and she played
along to herself, and even stopped to put a bow through the harp to play
a string with a bow and the whole effect was utterly unique, extremely
tuneful and musical and unlike the kids who battle to play anything
beyond 3 chords or notes on an electric guitar, she was just fabulous,
both hands and both feet furiuously working everything workable. The
gear she used couldn't be used if tubed because it'd have to be the size
of a shipping container.

Take your dear lady wife and friends and enjoy the outing. Try to stop
yourself making dumb comments about what they are wearing and their
hairstyles.

Patrick Turner.

I have not the slightest idea what any of that was about.

Never mind.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Alex is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
If you'd done your home work, you'd have built a sample of my circuit
and discovered perhaps to your amazement that indeed the effective
collector resistance of the many applications of my single BJT CCS is
extremely high, and far more than the 50k you cite.

Build the circuit, then measure the voltage change across the emitter
resistance and hence emitter current change for a given large voltage
signal at the anode/collector.
Then divide collector voltage change by colector current change to find
the effective collector resistance. You will find it is a huge figure
like a pentode with large value cathode resistance.

The whole point is that even if the emitter current is constant, the
collector current is not, because beta is changing.

Typically for a small transistors collector impedance is about 1Mohm per
1mA. For example, for 5mA output impedance will be 200Kohm. For a pentode
such load would be considered quite low, but for a triode -- like infinite.

Contributing to this effect of finite collector impedance is thermal
processes. When Ic increases, die temperature goes up, beta goes up (up to
2% per degree), base current down and consequently collector current up.
This effect causes virtually inductve (!) component in the output collector
impedance...

However, we shall not be carried away. We are not talking precision op-amps,
but just crude audio amps. Who cares after all. You are right Partick. You
can simply ignore the Early effect and thermal beta-modulation effect, and
collector capacitance modulation effect... Again we are not looking into
0.0001% IMD domain, but 0.1...1%.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Alex wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
If you'd done your home work, you'd have built a sample of my circuit
and discovered perhaps to your amazement that indeed the effective
collector resistance of the many applications of my single BJT CCS is
extremely high, and far more than the 50k you cite.

Build the circuit, then measure the voltage change across the emitter
resistance and hence emitter current change for a given large voltage
signal at the anode/collector.
Then divide collector voltage change by colector current change to find
the effective collector resistance. You will find it is a huge figure
like a pentode with large value cathode resistance.

The whole point is that even if the emitter current is constant, the
collector current is not, because beta is changing.

OK, so if Ec changes, then you will indeed get some change in Ie, and a
small change in Ee, and thus a small change in Ib, thus a change in Eb
if Eb is not held at a constant potential with the 0V end of Re.

Its all a negligible effect if Re is a high enough value, say over 1k.

I suggest you set up any of the CCS i have detailed at my website and
that you have a 1k series R between anode and collector, and measure the
V change across this 1k.
In a typical LTP with common cathode = 12mA through an MJE340 CCS, and
with maybe 6V signal at the common cathodes, then with 1k between kk and
c the signal voltage across the 1k is below 1mV, and if it was 1mV, then
you have a signal current of 1uA, and because there is a 6V signal at
the kk, then the efective current sink resistance would be 6 / 1uA, or 6
megohms, and a high enough resistance to be labelled a constant current
sink.

Typically for a small transistors collector impedance is about 1Mohm per
1mA. For example, for 5mA output impedance will be 200Kohm. For a pentode
such load would be considered quite low, but for a triode -- like infinite.

The use of an unbypassed Re 1k vastly raises the effective collector
resistance, so gain of the pentode approaches µ, maybe a thousand or
more, and mainly limited by whatever small amount of shunt C seen by the
anode.

Contributing to this effect of finite collector impedance is thermal
processes. When Ic increases, die temperature goes up, beta goes up (up to
2% per degree), base current down and consequently collector current up.
This effect causes virtually inductve (!) component in the output collector
impedance...

No such effects are seen in my circuits.

Where I have an MJE350 whose collector feeds a triode anode, I have a
resistance divider between B+ and 0V controlling the bjt base voltage.
This keeps the effective Rc very high down to DC.

But if the divider works between anode and B+, and the R on the divider
betwwn base and B+ is cap bypassed, then the collector resistance is
still extremely high for most audio F.
But as F falls the bypass cap goes open and the effective DC collector
resistance becomes [ R2/ ( R1 + R2 )] x Re.

So if R2 was 220k between anode and base, and R1 was 22k between base
and B+, and Re = 1k, then effective Rc = approx 11 x 1k, ie, 11k.
This is an extremely useful feature so that a pentode's anode dc voltage
then tends to stay far more stable when signal voltage amplitude
changes. OK, in such a case at audio F the anode load is 220k in
parallel with the very high Rc because the base to B+ cap can be an
electro with excellent bypassing except at DC.

So this situation mimics the use of a choke with high inductance and
high dc wire resistance but with very little shunt capacitance and no
iron caused hysterisis distortions.

If you had a pentode with a resistance load only with 150V across this
load and Ia = 5mA, then RL = 30k.
And if gm was say 4mA/V, gain = 120 approximately. If you had a maximum
load value of 220k of my CCS, then gain would be about 800, for the same
Ia.

Rout would be the Ra of the pentode in parallel with 220k and rather
uselessly too high. So a direct CF can be used to reduce it to say 600
ohms. Then shunt NFB divider using say 470k and 39k can be used to
reduce gain from 800 to 10.
If THD was 5% at 50V without NFB, then with the FB its becomes 10 x
5%/800 = 0.025%, and at 1V out it becomes theoretically less than
0.001%.

If RL = 30k, THD would be higher than with RL = 220k, maybe 8% at
50Vout.
If the gain reduction was only from 120 to 10, THD = 10x 8%/120 =
0.75%, and at 1Vo, THD = 0.015%, a much worse performance than with the
CCS.

The shunt FB in both cases would reduce the Rout to much less than 600
ohms and to maybe 60 ohms, so a resistance from the cathode to the
outside world should be used, say 560 ohms, to set the Rout of the
preamp, and prevent cable C affecting the performance.

However, we shall not be carried away. We are not talking precision op-amps,
but just crude audio amps. Who cares after all. You are right Partick. You
can simply ignore the Early effect and thermal beta-modulation effect, and
collector capacitance modulation effect... Again we are not looking into
0.0001% IMD domain, but 0.1...1%.

See above.

In a typical paralleled 6CG7 SET input stage with CCS load used with its
base biasing divider between B+ and 0V, and a C coupled load of say
220k, THD at 20Vout 0.1%, or 0.01% at a typical 2V operation
condition. This is 10dB better than if I were to have a 33k dc carrying
resistance betwwn anodes and B+.

I offer my customers excellent sound plus excellent measurements with
gear that never has THD much above 0.04% at normal loud listeing levels
which usually *average* only a watt.
The 300watters make about 0.2% at 300W. At 3W where Vout is 1/10 the
300W level, the THD is 0.02% or less.

I also use minimal amounts of NFB, 15dB total instead of the common 26dB
used back in 1965 for many quality amps which could boast less than 0.1%
at 30W.

Trying to make a class A amp with ultra low THD is rather pointless,
because the horribleness factor of THD/IMD is low because there are no
switching distortions. On the other hand, PP SS amps with tiny amounts
of class A need a lot of NFB.

The RDH4 says that THD just becomes audible on a wide bandwidth system
when it exceeds 0.5% of 2H. However, with higher harmonics the threshold
diminishes. I assume 0.5% of 7H would render music horrible.

In a typical tube PP amp, at a watt, maybe you have 0.02% 3H, 0.01% 2H,
0.005% of all other H.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Alex is offline

Alex:
The whole point is that even if the emitter current is constant, the
collector current is not, because beta is changing.

Patrick:
[...]

This is wrong. The collector current is changing not (solely) because the
emitter current changing, but in the first place because beta is changing.
Beta is not constant if collector voltage is swinging.
First of all collector voltage is directly modulating beta (Early effect).
Secondly, collector voltage modulates collector power dissipation which in
turn modulates die temperature which in turn modulates beta. As you know,
beta rises with temperature so this temperature effect compounds with the
Early effect. Thermal effect is more pronounced at low frequencies because
of thermal time constant. If the emitter resistor is finite, then emitter
voltage variation also starts to play its output impedance reduction game...
All three effects add up.

However, the above is more of academic interest. Who cares if a triode load
is 200K or 6M? Its gain is close to mu anyway...

And if the current source is in the long tail of a differential tube stage,
then the unbalance potentially caused by a finite impedance of the current
source is far less than the unbalance caused by 5% tolerance resistors used
as loads at both plates.

So though in theory you are wrong, for all practical purposes you are right.

Regards,
Alex

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Alex wrote:

Alex:
[...]

Well smarty pants, at the end of the day after taking into account your
Early effect, we might later see that the change in effective collector
resistance in the CCS circuits which I have shown so well employed at my
website may not add up to very much.

With whatever early effect exists I still measure the effective Rc at
over 1M easily, and it would not matter if the Rc' varied during a full
50Vrms wave from between 1M and 2M, because the Ra of the triode is so
low by comparison. Could you tell me how the effective Rc varies?
If it does, then would not that either tend to make THD worse or maybe
better than a perfect CCS? Which way would it be? Even a slightly non
linear but very high resistance dc feed will have a much lessening
effect on tube THD caused by the presence of a damned resistor to convey
dc to the anode.

And if the current source is in the long tail of a differential tube stage,
then the unbalance potentially caused by a finite impedance of the current
source is far less than the unbalance caused by 5% tolerance resistors used
as loads at both plates.

So though in theory you are wrong, for all practical purposes you are right.

I routinely see LTP balance being within 0.5% of the same amplitude at
each anode.

And this occurs if you have a 12AT7 on one side and 12AU7 on the other
side. Balance is at least 99.5% determined by the closeness of anode
resistances.

What will change if the triodes on each side differ is the THD which
will be mainly 2H of the same amplitude on each anode, but the
fundememental signal tone levelo will be equal.

Patrick Turner.

Regards,
Alex