RWG

Default software decoder for Dolby B/C

I've had this need come up a couple of times in the last few years: I just
got some stuff on a CD-R that was originally on a cassette tape. It sounds
very much to me like it was made from a Dolby tape, but with no Dolby
decoding--rather bright-sounding at lower levels, and a lot of hiss.

Obviously I don't want to convert this back into a cassette and re-digitize
it, just to get it right. There seems every reason to think that the Dolby
decoding could be done in software. Do you know anywhere I could find such
an app?

--Ronald W. Garrison

Ethan Winer

Ronald,

There seems every reason to think that the Dolby decoding could be done in

software.

Yeah, you'd think such a plug-in would be available. I've needed this for
Dolby A and also dbx encoding, and I was never able to find software
versions. You can create a decoder if you have a multi-band expander. I use
the UltraFunk plug-ins and the multi-band compressor plug-in offers an
expander mode with the ability to set the crossover points and expansion
ratios. I used it once with pretty good success to emulate Dolby A encoding.

--Ethan

RWG

Yeah, you'd think such a plug-in would be available. I've needed this for
Dolby A and also dbx encoding, and I was never able to find software
versions. You can create a decoder if you have a multi-band expander. I

use
the UltraFunk plug-ins and the multi-band compressor plug-in offers an
expander mode with the ability to set the crossover points and expansion
ratios. I used it once with pretty good success to emulate Dolby A

encoding.

If you've not found it, that's not a good sign, but thanks for the info.

It might be actually trickier to emulate Dolby B and C than A, using an
audio editor, due to the sliding-scale nature of the system.

--Ron

Richard Kuschel

Yeah, you'd think such a plug-in would be available. I've needed this for
Dolby A and also dbx encoding, and I was never able to find software
versions. You can create a decoder if you have a multi-band expander. I

use
the UltraFunk plug-ins and the multi-band compressor plug-in offers an
expander mode with the ability to set the crossover points and expansion
ratios. I used it once with pretty good success to emulate Dolby A

encoding.

If you've not found it, that's not a good sign, but thanks for the info.

It might be actually trickier to emulate Dolby B and C than A, using an
audio editor, due to the sliding-scale nature of the system.

--Ron

For once and for all.

There is no software that decodes any form of Dolby noise reduction.

Dolby A would be even harder to decode than B because Dolby A uses 4 bands of
noise reduction, and level is critical on Dolby A.

The reason that there is no Dolby decoding software is because there isn't much
market fo it and the Dolby decoding hardware is pretty cheap on the used
market.

Richard H. Kuschel

RWG

"Richard Kuschel" wrote in message

For once and for all.

There is no software that decodes any form of Dolby noise reduction.

Dolby A would be even harder to decode than B because Dolby A uses 4 bands

of
noise reduction, and level is critical on Dolby A.

The reason that there is no Dolby decoding software is because there isn't

much
market fo it and the Dolby decoding hardware is pretty cheap on the used
market.

The cost of Dolby decoding hardware is, for me, not an issue. I *know* that
the cost is trivial. The problem is: To use such hardware, I have to convert
back to analog, and of course that cannot be done without some loss of
quality, though it may be small.

Also: The nature of the market is still a matter of opinion and speculation,
so it is not "for once and for all."

KJM

Perhaps you could simply trash the CD and download the songs? Most digital
audio on the net is made from a digital source, so if you can find a decent
quality file (high bitrate) then you'd be miles ahead of where you are now.
With your new song files you could make another CD.

Kevin

"RWG" wrote in message
I've had this need come up a couple of times in the last few years: I just
got some stuff on a CD-R that was originally on a cassette tape. It sounds
very much to me like it was made from a Dolby tape, but with no Dolby
decoding--rather bright-sounding at lower levels, and a lot of hiss.

Obviously I don't want to convert this back into a cassette and

re-digitize
it, just to get it right. There seems every reason to think that the Dolby
decoding could be done in software. Do you know anywhere I could find such
an app?

--Ronald W. Garrison

Richard Kuschel

The cost of Dolby decoding hardware is, for me, not an issue. I *know* that
the cost is trivial. The problem is: To use such hardware, I have to convert
back to analog, and of course that cannot be done without some loss of
quality, though it may be small.

Also: The nature of the market is still a matter of opinion and speculation,
so it is not "for once and for all."

Then why not go back to the original source tapes?

There have been improvements in A/D D/A conversion, and the amount of loss
will be really small. (Though you are correct, there will be some)

Dolby is unlikely to license anybody to produce decoding software. They like to
keep it all to themselves. Plus the market for such software is so small that
it would be unprofitable.

Richard H. Kuschel

RWG

"KJM" wrote in message .cable.rogers.com...
Perhaps you could simply trash the CD and download the songs? Most digital
audio on the net is made from a digital source, so if you can find a decent
quality file (high bitrate) then you'd be miles ahead of where you are now.
With your new song files you could make another CD.

That could well make sense for some things, but the stuff I was
working with that prompted this question is one-of-a-kind sessions
that would almost with absolute certainty never be on a file-share
network (until, that is, I put them there (-.

And the idea of going back to the original tapes would only apply if
you can actually get the tapes. Fortunately, I have managed to get
copies of the original tapes, Dolby-decoded; if they turn out to be
all right, my problem is solved for this instance. But there are other
cases where it's not so easy.

The other problem with going back to the original could be in a case
where you have just done some special editing or processing that would
be very hard to duplicate with a totally new transcription.

Peter Larsen

RWG wrote:

And the idea of going back to the original tapes would only apply if
you can actually get the tapes. Fortunately, I have managed to get
copies of the original tapes, Dolby-decoded; ...

The general issue of the relevance of a software dolby stands
uncontested. Just one example: it may very well be highly relevant to
address frequency response errors prior to dolby decoding.

Dealing with those frequency response issues in the digital domain is
the most practical procedure and it just does not make sense to have to
hardware should be available.

This very line of reasoning also applies for highcom ii and for dbx -
and of course for the pro versions of all of these.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

tweak

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:53:54 -0500, "RWG" wrote:

[...]

You don't have to convert.
Just loop it through a cassette deck with dolby.
Here's how:
Run cables out from sound card to input of cassette deck.
Run cables from output of deck back to input of sound card.
Put tape in cassette deck, put on record pause the play the digital
music file through one audio app.
Capture it from cassette using second app, it should be filtered then
using the dolby.
I took an old teac with dolby b/c that had faulty tape transport and
rigged it for use as a standalone preamp and dolby unit.
It works fine for this as well.

Richard Crowley

RWGarrison wrote:
The cost of Dolby decoding hardware is, for me, not an
issue. I *know* that the cost is trivial. The problem is:
To use such hardware, I have to convert back to analog,
and of course that cannot be done without some loss of
quality, though it may be small.

"tweak" wrote ...
You don't have to convert.
Just loop it through a cassette deck with dolby.
Here's how:
Run cables out from sound card to input of cassette deck.
Run cables from output of deck back to input of sound card.

read the whole thing or you don't understand what "convert
back to analog" means.

Codifus

Peter Larsen wrote:

tweak wrote:

[...]

For tweak's suggestion to work, you have to record (without pausing) to
tape in real time with dolby off. Then, playback the tape with Dolby on.
While the tape is playing with Dolby on, record it's playback to your
soundcard. Of course, the limitations would be quite severe. You are
introducing another D to A and A to D conversion with all the distortion
associated with that, as well the even more severe quality loss due to
the tape's very limited high frequency response recording ability
coupled with the Dolby encoded signal that the tape records, which will
be high in high frequency content and compression. Just make sure you're
using a Metal tape to get as much of the highs as possible.

The Marantz solution looks like it would be the best, but you'd have to
acquire that Marantz receiver somehow

CD