Nousaine

Default Subjectivist and Objectivist -- Are these misnomers? (WAS:

Bromo wrote:

On 5/20/04 6:45 PM, in article vyarc.171$ny.233577@attbi_s53, "Nousaine"
wrote:

Actually the definition "For an objectivist, the musical experience begins
with
the
compression and rarefaction of the local atmosphere by a musical

instrument
and
ends with the decay of hydraulic pressure waves in the listener's cochlea;

"
is pretty good; of course the subjectivist position would have to be:

"For a subjectivist, the musical experience sometimes begins with the
compression and rarefaction of the local atmosphere by a musical instrument
and even occasionally ends with the decay of hydraulic pressure waves in

the
listener's cochlea; but most of it happens in the listeners imagination

that's
why we call it "imagin-in" "

Actually - an "objectivist" (the non-Ayn Rand type) and "subjectivist" tend
to resemble each other in many ways. Both are interested in having good
sounding systems - and both have a method (trial and error or measurement)
of achieving this. They BOTH tend to have systems that sound good.

I would say both extremes are flawed. An extreme "objectivist" would never
feel the need to actually listen to a sound system before purchase since the
specification and measurements would say enough - but would be fully willing
to hire a lab to determine if a piece of equipment is suitable.

Nah; a hard-core objectivist would tune the system in-situ himself. Not only
that he'd spend 3-4 grand on an acoustical measurement system and a lab grade
microphone to help him.

Makes a lot of sense compared to 1-10 k for wires. As an alternative he might
just get a $200 sound card based system that is nearly as useful.

Stewart Pinkerton

Default Doing an "evaluation" test, or has it already been done?

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 5/20/2004 3:09 PM Pacific Standard Time

Individual preferences have never been unrespected except by subjectivists.

Balony. Some objectivists here on RAHE have been quite disrespectful towards
subjectivists preferences. The gist of most comments are that subjectivists are
free to have inferior preferences if they like. The words have usually been
carefully selected to follow the forum rules but the disrespect has been
crystal clear.

I note that you carefully skate around the gross insults which are
common among the subjectivists, generally claiming that those who
don't agree with their own pet preferences *must* either have inferior
hearing, or inferior equipment.

They are what they are. At least objectivists wrap opinions around data and
items that can be demonstrated and verified. We don't invent unspecified and
undefined terms like Musicality to embrace mystical ideas.

Instead you build straw men like these false claims of mysticism to attack the
subjectivist POV.

Hardly a false claim - how else would you describe claims which have
no physically existant basis?

You can wrap your opinions around data and pretend that makes
them more valid all you want.

Clearly, it does.

We can wrap our opinions around our experience
and live quite happily with that. Like it or not.

Unfortunately, you seem reluctant to experience controlled listening
tests, and truly *trust* your ears - even though that is a common
subjectivist battle cry.......................

Bob Marcus

S888Wheel wrote:

The real difference is that we also don't
pay much attention to subjective impressions that we know could be
imaginary.

Really? How do you choose speakers then? Are most objectivists conducting
bias
controled auditions of speakers? I think not.

Which is why, in the very next sentence--which you snipped--I excluded
speakers.

But you raise a valid point--or at least a half-valid one. Speakers
unquestionably sound different, but we're still subject to biases when we
listen to them--based on such prior knowledge as reviews we've read or the
general reputation of the manufacturer. So when we decide that one speaker
is preferable to another, we can't be sure that our preference is based
solely on the--unquestionably--audible differences between them. But it is
reasonable to assume that our preference is based at least partly on real
audible differences, something we objectivists wouldn't say about amps in
most cases (insert the usual caveats here).

There's also a practical matter: Amateurs really can't do blind comparisons
of speakers. I suppose you could walk into a store and ask the sales clerk
to play you a speaker in your price range without telling you what speaker
it is (though you probably know what lines he carries). But eventually you
have to take it home, and move it around to find the best location in your
listening room. Doing that blind could be dangerous!

I would say both extremes are caricatures. This one sure is:

An extreme "objectivist" would never
feel the need to actually listen to a sound system before purchase since
the
specification and measurements would say enough - but would be fully
willing
to hire a lab to determine if a piece of equipment is suitable.

It may be the extreme but it seems to be the reality for the extreme and
not
just a caricature.

No, it really is just a caricature. No objectivist--not even Nousaine, who's
probably as geeky as it gets in this field--buys a speaker system (an
essential part of a "sound system") without listening to it.

You've made a good point about our pointless tendency to caricature each
other. Please don't spoil it by committing the same sin.

bob

S888Wheel

From: Stewart Pinkerton
Date: 5/21/2004 11:14 AM Pacific Standard Time

On Fri, 21 May 2004 04:29:34 GMT,

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 5/20/2004 3:09 PM Pacific Standard Time

Individual preferences have never been unrespected except by subjectivists.

Balony. Some objectivists here on RAHE have been quite disrespectful towards
subjectivists preferences. The gist of most comments are that subjectivists

are
free to have inferior preferences if they like. The words have usually been
carefully selected to follow the forum rules but the disrespect has been
crystal clear.

I note that you carefully skate around the gross insults which are
common among the subjectivists, generally claiming that those who
don't agree with their own pet preferences *must* either have inferior
hearing, or inferior equipment.

I didn't skate around anything. I addressed something that I believe clearly is
in correct. Excuse me for being on point.

They are what they are. At least objectivists wrap opinions around data and
items that can be demonstrated and verified. We don't invent unspecified

and
undefined terms like Musicality to embrace mystical ideas.

Instead you build straw men like these false claims of mysticism to attack

the
subjectivist POV.

Hardly a false claim - how else would you describe claims which have
no physically existant basis?

Cite a specific claim and then I will offer a description.

You can wrap your opinions around data and pretend that makes
them more valid all you want.

Clearly, it does.

Balony. It may make some people feel better about their purchase decisions but
not every person.In audio the fruits of the hobby are in the listening
experience given the *fact* that audio is an experience based hobby. Some
people get excited about specs and that is fine. For them. There enjoyment is
no more valid than any other audiophile's.

We can wrap our opinions around our experience
and live quite happily with that. Like it or not.

Unfortunately, you seem reluctant to experience controlled listening
tests, and truly *trust* your ears - even though that is a common
subjectivist battle cry.......................

Complete nonsense given the fact that I have made it clear that I have used
bias controls in my own auditions quite often. If you want to be "objective"
you might want to start with better observations.

Michael McKelvy

From: "Bob Marcus"
Date: 5/20/2004 9:39 PM Pacific Standard Time

Bromo wrote:

Actually - an "objectivist" (the non-Ayn Rand type) and "subjectivist"

tend
to resemble each other in many ways.Ã, Both are interested in having

good
sounding systems - and both have a method (trial and error or

measurement)
of achieving this.Ã, They BOTH tend to have systems that sound good.

I suspect that objectivists in practice pay a lot less attention to
measurements than you think we do.

I suspect that varies from person to person. Nousaine just posted that
measurements are the primary criteria for his decisions.

I doubt that Nousaine is typical of people who believe that measurements
tell the whole story. Most people I know listen to some sort of comparison
involving components they are considering for purchase.

The real difference is that we also don't
pay much attention to subjective impressions that we know could be
imaginary.

Really? How do you choose speakers then? Are most objectivists conducting

bias
controled auditions of speakers? I think not.

There's no reason to, unless you are comparing 2 identical sets of speakers.
Differences in speakers are large enough to be heard easily.

I would say both extremes are caricatures. This one sure is:

An extreme "objectivist" would never
feel the need to actually listen to a sound system before purchase since
the
specification and measurements would say enough - but would be fully
willing
to hire a lab to determine if a piece of equipment is suitable.

It may be the extreme but it seems to be the reality for the extreme and

not
just a caricature. But the same is true for the subjectivists. The extreme

does
exist and is every bit as wacky.

Agreed.

Bruce J. Richman

chung wrote:

Bruce J. Richman wrote:

The "controlled listening tests" obviously involve the listeners

determining
whether the DUT's sound the same or different. This is a form of

measurement,
although on a dichotomous basis rather than an interval scale. Every data
point recorded in an ABX test or even in a more simple A/B comparison is
obviously a measurement of the observer's ability to differentiate or not
differentiate between the the 2 components being evaluated.

That's got to be one of the most convoluted explanations (should I say
excuses?) I have ever seen.

This has to be one of the most misleading comments that I've ever seen. To
begin with, you've lifted my statement out-of-context. It was direct response
to Mr. Pinkerton's apparent claim that DBT's don't involve measurement.
Obviously they do.

So when you listen to two pieces of equipment, A and B, and you decide A
is better, have you made a measurement? According to your definition,
you have, since the fact that you prefer A over B is obviously a
measurement of your ability to differentiate between A and B.

That's what I said. If it were as convoluted as you claim, you would not have
been able to agree with me. And it certainly was not an excuse, since I feel
no need to make any.

Seems to me that you, being a subjectivist, based on
selections/preferences on measurements, too! You're sure you're not an
objectivist?

I see legitimate uses for both objective measurements and subjective
impressions. I also think that given repeated demonstrations and repetitions
on RAHE, most of the discussions between the 2 camps are nonproductive.

Bruce J. Richman

chung

S888Wheel wrote:

Of course these definintions of subjectivist positions were
defined by a self-proclaimed objectivist. You know it is rarely
flatering when an objectivist speaks for a subjectivist or visa
versa.

So, given that you frequent this newsgroup, is there anything in
Self's definition you deem inaccurate?

Yes. At least for me each one is either inaccurate or skewed to imply
a misleading meaning.

Herein lies the problem. You are assuming that you are the typical
subjectivist. The fact that you find those descriptions not accurate in
your case simply means that you are less of a subjectivist than you
might think. Welcome to the light side; no doubt this newsgroup has
helped you make the transition .

Lets take the first one. IMO if one amplifier measures with less
distortion than another but the amp with higher distortion sounds
better in a given system then the one that sounds better is the
prefered amp. The implication though is that the subjectivist
disregard the measurements all together.

And you don't agree that that's what subjectivists would do? Have you
seen the measurements of SET's? You think subjectivists pay any
attention to cable measurements?

Well, I hope the designers are paying attention to the relevant
measurements and how they relate to sonic impressions and moving
forward with their designs from there. But as it stands it is a
misleading statement about subjectivists.

Why? It may not be an accurate statement *in your case*, but it is
dangerous to set yourself up as the prototype subjectivist.

I have not read anything from you dismissing the validity of controlled
testing, or stating that you could not function as a listener once you
have to choose between A and B, so you are not as far out there as the
others .

It would be just as misleading to say that objectivists will prefer
equipment based on measurements despite how it might *actually*
sound.

It is misleading because many of the objectivists on this newsgroup have
stated otherwise, ad nauseum.

I think the truth is that objectivists are more interested in the
measurements than the subjectivists but that does not mean that
measurments are being dismissed all together.

Self did not say that. Self said that when listening impressions
disagree with measurements, the latter can be discarded by subjectivists.

The second point. First off I'm not sure what is meant by
"engineering science."

Well, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and science would
be the popular answer.

But I do believe there is nothing magical about audio
and that all parameters of audio that can be heard can also be
measured.

See, you may not be the typical subjectivist then. I'm sure you have
seen posts and posts about how imaging cannot be measured.

as for the third point, it simply does not apply to me at
all.

So you are again saying that you are less of a subjectivist than others.

I know my limitations when it comes to technology and I know
better than to ascribe hypothetical cause and effects to various
designs of audio components. My hypothesis of any cause and effect
are usually born of trial and error while carefully allowing one
variable in my trials.

Some subjectivists' hypothesis is simply what they are told by boutique
companies. Witness cable burn-in, and CD magic pen.

Here is something that was said about all objectivists in a
Stereophile article: "For an objectivist, the musical experience
begins with the compression and rarefaction of the local
atmosphere by a musical instrument

and
ends with the decay of hydraulic pressure waves in the listener's
cochlea;

"

Have you met an objectivist that behaves in such a way?

I have interacted with some that at first blush seemed to but upon
further converstation did not.

OK, so we all agree that the definition does not merit further debate.

My point was that the
misrepresentations go in both directions. I guess you agree that this
was one of those misrepresentations of an objectivist by a
subjectivist. I don't know and you don't know that this author has
never meat an objectivist who actually meets this description. the
real problem is with the single universal description for a broad
group of people with diverse opinions.

So there are various shades of subjectivism. But by and large Doug Self
did a good job summarizing it.
chung

Bruce J. Richman wrote:
chung wrote:

Bruce J. Richman wrote:

The "controlled listening tests" obviously involve the listeners

determining
whether the DUT's sound the same or different. This is a form of

measurement,
although on a dichotomous basis rather than an interval scale. Every data
point recorded in an ABX test or even in a more simple A/B comparison is
obviously a measurement of the observer's ability to differentiate or not
differentiate between the the 2 components being evaluated.

That's got to be one of the most convoluted explanations (should I say
excuses?) I have ever seen.

This has to be one of the most misleading comments that I've ever seen. To
begin with, you've lifted my statement out-of-context. It was direct response
to Mr. Pinkerton's apparent claim that DBT's don't involve measurement.
Obviously they do.

Well, I was careful in quoting what you said. I left the whole paragraph
in. There was nothing out of context. I understand you said that a DBT
is a measurement. The explanation you provided for why a DBT is a
measurement is one ot the most convoluted things I have seen since,
well, I read the Cable Break-In article by a high-end cable maker.

So when you listen to two pieces of equipment, A and B, and you decide A
is better, have you made a measurement? According to your definition,
you have, since the fact that you prefer A over B is obviously a
measurement of your ability to differentiate between A and B.

That's what I said. If it were as convoluted as you claim, you would not have
been able to agree with me. And it certainly was not an excuse, since I feel
no need to make any.

I was extended your explanation to come up with a claim that every
listening comparison that results in a perceived, subjective, difference
is a "measurement". Obviously the ludicrousness of the claim escapes you .

Seems to me that you, being a subjectivist, based on
selections/preferences on measurements, too! You're sure you're not an
objectivist?

I see legitimate uses for both objective measurements and subjective
impressions. I also think that given repeated demonstrations and repetitions
on RAHE, most of the discussions between the 2 camps are nonproductive.

It's amazing, however, to see someone equate a subjective impression
with a measurement...

Bruce J. Richman

Bruce J. Richman

Tom Nousaine wrote:

(Bruce J. Richman)

...large snips......

Tom Nousaine wrote:

I've often considered the objectivist viewpoint that "all competent
amplifiers
operating within their power ranges with appropriate speakers sound the
same",
etc. possibly true *for the measurable variables that they are interested
in*,
but nonetheless possibly not true - nor measurable by a-b or a-b-x tests -
for
the sound qualities that subjectivists are interested in.

In the Sunshine trials no measurements were ever made. The closest to
measurements were level matching at 100,1000 1nd 10,000 Hz. Yet the subject
was
unable to reliably his Pass Aleph monoblocks from a modest Yamaha

integrated
amplifier when even the most modest of bias controls were implemented

(cloths
placed over I/O terminals) using his personally selected programs in his
reference system.

Measurements take many forms, including the decision to select either "A" or
:"B" as being dissimilar either to a reference or each other. Binary
meassurements *are* involved in comparative evaluations whether conducted
blind
or sighted. All your cited results indicate per se was that Steve Zipser
could
not make the discriminations between the DUT's that he claimed he could. As
for other results you will no doubt cite, as you have always done, to

support
your position, various posters (not myself) have frequently questioned the
validity of the type of testing you support.

Pardom me for forgetting that all attempts at validating or confirming claims
are considered measurements when they fail to confirm. While it is true that
some ardent subjectivists "question" the methods used for verifying sound
quality assessments and claims it seems to me that when the basis for
judgements are confined to sound quality and sound quality alone and
subjectivists still cannot
verify the identity of amplifiers and wires of which they have intimate
familiarity they should be producing more credible evidence to support their
case. But instead they'll just continue to 'debate.'

No doubt I'll be
challenged on this view, but let me explain.

When one reads a subjective review, or perhaps does one's own review

either
in
a showroom or in one's home, one *might* be perceiving sonic qualities
either
not measured nor easily defined by the usual objectivist standards. For
example, Harry has used the word "musicality". And I might use the same
term,
and others might make refernce to the imaging, soundstaging or *depth of
field"
qualities associated with a particular piece of equiopment. Still others
may
simply say "this sounds more realistic me" (than another component being
compared). While it may be perfectly acceptable to the objectivists to
consider only variables that can be measured in terms of frequency

response
or
various kinds of distortion, I would be reluctant - as I think would be

most
subjectivists - to attribute the various variables I've mentioned above to
specific, capable of replication, measurements to measure these things.

So? Who cares? If you cannot tell them apart with your eyes closed who

cares
what measurements are or what "variables" you are listening for?

Obviously, you don't - that's a given. And perhaps you represent the
objectivists that don't respect individual preferences derived from
perceptions
of certain qualities that you derogate and minimize.

Individual preferences have never been unrespected except by subjectivists.

An opinion you get to have, but one not supported by any scientific data. Of
course, unsupported claims made by objectivists, I suppose, don't have to meet
the same verification criteria demanded by those objectivists that regularly
ridicule those on the other side of the fence. I'm sure nobody will hold their
breath while a list of those subjectivists whom you claim don't respect
individual preferences is presented.

They are what they are. At least objectivists wrap opinions around data and
items that can be demonstrated and verified. We don't invent unspecified and
undefined terms like Musicality to embrace mystical ideas.

There is no evidence to suggest that terms like "musical" are mystical, but
then again, there is also no evidence to suggest that subjectivsts don't
respect individual preferences. There is, however, plenty of evidence, it
would seem, for obhjectivists on RAHE frequently disparaging subjective
opinions that don't automatically involve technical measurements or meet their
notions of universal meaning.

Again, the frames-of-reference of the 2 camps are so disparate as to make
conversations basically useless.

Agreed. Subjectivists need to put their beliefs into experiments that verify
the claims.

There is no automatic requirement that subjectivists validate their opinions
via scientific experiments any more than there is a requirement for
subjectivists to validate their opinions about their preferences for any other
type of product, for example, music, automobilies, wines, etc. The "prove it"
mentality which some objectivists tend to demonstrate whenever individual
preferences are mentioned is, of course, simply an attempt to deny an
individual's right to prefer one product over another.

The 'debates' will be endless because the camp without any credible
supporting
evidence has no other resort except "debate" including hypothesizing long,
expensive experiments that will never be done.

Au contraire, the debates will contninue because of some irrational need on
the
party of some from the other camp to try and convert audiophiles who prefer
make their audio equipment decisions in ways of their own choosing.

Strawman argument. Nobody is suggesting that audiophiles should or should not
buy amplifiers (or whatever) based on whatever basis they feel necessary.

No strawman article at all. The validity of this claim is proven by the OP's
attempts to require that all preferences be backed up by scientific
experimentation, as he has demanded above.

What
they need to stop doing is claiming that their asmplifiers have special sound
quality attributes based on acoustical characteristics that cannot be
identified when a figurative blindfold is produced.
And they should cease recommending these products to neophytes and newbies
based on these attributes that have never been shown to exist.

Or they should stop carping over the extant evidence and produce some
credible
evidence of their own to support their claims.

None of this says that you shouldn't be happy with any decision you've made
about any gear you've acquired or tweaks or modifications you've made.

No, of course not . It is just a rather transparent attempt to eliminate all
publications, internet reviews, etc. in which audiophiles, reviewers, and
others given their subjective impressions of components they have heard and/or
used.
It also represents an attempt to prevent newbies and others from getting
information from a variety of sources, including subjective reviews, to use a
guide in narrowing down the large number of products under consideration. No
doubt that anti-preference frame of reference would also favor all decisions
being made, therefore, on the basis of printed specifications. After all, why
even bother to audition products?

All these dogmatic statements illustrate is the central point I've been making
- Dialogue between the 2 camps is as useless ad tryinj to convert others.
There is no evidence to suggest that the majority of those who favor personal
auditions and listening over blind faith based on measurements alone - and at
that, -probably a carefully selected *set* of measurements often designed to
minimize differences, are ready to abandon their right to evaluate and perceive
products as they see fit.

Note that I am not disparaging or even disagreeing with the use of
bias-controlled testing by those who consider the sine qua non for making their
own decisions, or even as a legitimate research tool in product development.
However, attempts to deny an individual the right to use whatever terms they
choose to use in describing their own individual experience in hearing a
product - which usually will *not* involve taking measurements - is simply an
extreme example of censorship applied in an effort to discourage individual
preferrences and subjective opinions.

It should also be noted that the proposal of complex experiments has (a) not
been proposed by myself, and (b) should not be opposed at any rate if the
objective is to obtain further information that might be useful.

I strongly urge that the prosposer of that experiment take every effort to
move
on with it. Validation of his open-ended evaluation approach (which unlike he
claims is not widely used among audiophiles) is a good idea and should be
validated.

Bruce J. Richman

Bromo

On 5/22/04 10:15 AM, in article , "chung"
wrote:

Seems to me that you, being a subjectivist, based on
selections/preferences on measurements, too! You're sure you're not an
objectivist?

I see legitimate uses for both objective measurements and subjective
impressions. I also think that given repeated demonstrations and repetitions
on RAHE, most of the discussions between the 2 camps are nonproductive.

It's amazing, however, to see someone equate a subjective impression
with a measurement...

But it *is* a measurement of sorts - and data and datasheets can be
influenced by marketing departments.

There is no one method that is clean of the ability to pile on the baloney.

This is why it is important to listen to the equipment you are planning to
purchase in addition to all the other stuff.

I have been known to integrate large systems whose subcomponents have been
specified and designed to that spec. They pass the spec - but since a
specification and measurement - however detailed - is always a subset of the
actual capabilities and limitations of a piece of equipment - when
integrated into the larger system, sometimes unexpected results are
achieved. A good system integrator will have to work through the
interactions and determine the root cause, corrective action, and select the
right subcomponent for the final builds, a reviewer and consumer should not
be expected to do that - and indeed amongst a number of "objectivists" they
will chalk many things up to "imagination" when they have failed to be
sufficiently rigorous for that kind of title.

For instance - when using 40' of 20 cheap speaker wire to drive Martin Logan
speakers might give slightly different results than a thicker wire due to
the impedance changes and highly capacitive load at 20kHz, as might two
different amps. Rigor and science would make drive down to what is
different that might make the sound different - a mistake would be to
declare that you have measured each component and there is no difference
therefore the differences are in your imagination.

While I might appear to many on this NG to be a "subjectivist" I am not -
nor do I feel comfortable with "objectivist" as the title because I will not
discount what I hear as imagination - since that feels like a substitute for
rigor and thought.

I think we polarize ourselves and end up being just a rigid, and just as
blind by ignoring the strengths and weaknesses of each approach.

A true approach that would end up with shedding a lot of light on the
subject would be looking at the whole sound rig as a system integration
problem and not get so wrapped up as a "cable X does/doesn't" make a
difference.

And for heaven's sake - leave the marketing departments of those companies
out of it! They are neither subjectivists or objectivists - they just want
to move their product!
S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 5/21/2004 9:17 PM Pacific Standard Time
S888Wheel wrote:

Of course these definintions of subjectivist positions were
defined by a self-proclaimed objectivist. You know it is rarely
flatering when an objectivist speaks for a subjectivist or visa
versa.

So, given that you frequent this newsgroup, is there anything in
Self's definition you deem inaccurate?

Yes. At least for me each one is either inaccurate or skewed to imply
a misleading meaning.

Herein lies the problem. You are assuming that you are the typical
subjectivist.

No, I am assuming nothing. I chose to speak strictly for myself as a
subjectivist.

The fact that you find those descriptions not accurate in
your case simply means that you are less of a subjectivist than you
might think.

I am every bit the subjectivist that *I* think *I* am. I guess this
idea of
mine that people should speak for their own thoughts and beliefs just
isn't
going over very well with you.

" Welcome to the light side; no doubt this newsgroup has
helped you make the transition ."

OK fine. My tube electronics and turntable are still my weapons of
choice based
on listening despite what the measurements may or may not say.

Lets take the first one. IMO if one amplifier measures with less
distortion than another but the amp with higher distortion sounds
better in a given system then the one that sounds better is the
prefered amp. The implication though is that the subjectivist
disregard the measurements all together.

And you don't agree that that's what subjectivists would do?

No. I think when a subjectivist such as myself prefers one piece of
equipment
over another even when some objectivists insist the specs prove that
choice to
be inferior, I, as a subjectivist, opt for what my ears tell me rather
than
what the specs tell me for my personal use. I don't suggest that specs
be
ignored by designers and researchers though. I don't suggest they be
"dismissed." I don't know any other subjectivists that have said that
specs
should be dismissed thus. There may very well be such people but not
*all*
subjectivists or any I personally know have expressed this belief to me.

Have you
seen the measurements of SET's?

No I haven't but I have heard stories about them.

You think subjectivists pay any
attention to cable measurements?

I cannot speak for all subjectivists. Cable measurements don't seem to
come up
so much. I suspect that most are not aware of them. I never looked into
it.
That does not mean that all subjectivists dismiss all specs of all
components
though.

Well, I hope the designers are paying attention to the relevant
measurements and how they relate to sonic impressions and moving
forward with their designs from there. But as it stands it is a
misleading statement about subjectivists.

Why? It may not be an accurate statement *in your case*, but it is
dangerous to set yourself up as the prototype subjectivist.

I'm not setiing myself up as anything. You still haven't apparently got
the
message that "subjectivists" are a wdely diversified group of
audiophiles with
many different beliefs on many different audio related subjects. When
you get
past the all subjectivists are the same (irony alert) assumption you
will
possibly better understand that I am speaking for myself as a
subjectivist and
that is a wise choice.

I have not read anything from you dismissing the validity of controlled
testing, or stating that you could not function as a listener once you
have to choose between A and B, so you are not as far out there as the
others .

I probably am less extreme than many subjectivists.

It would be just as misleading to say that objectivists will prefer
equipment based on measurements despite how it might *actually*
sound.

It is misleading because many of the objectivists on this newsgroup
have
stated otherwise, ad nauseum.

Than consider learning from my example and avoid making such
prejudicial claims
about an entire group of people with diverse opinions.

I think the truth is that objectivists are more interested in the
measurements than the subjectivists but that does not mean that
measurments are being dismissed all together.

Self did not say that. Self said that when listening impressions
disagree with measurements, the latter can be discarded by
subjectivists.

I knew which measurements we were talking about. Dismissed is still
dismissed.
He did say "dismiss."

The second point. First off I'm not sure what is meant by
"engineering science."

Well, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and science would
be the popular answer.

I think it wise to keep them seperate. I have seen many branches of
science,
Physics, Biology, etc. I have never seen a branch called engineering
science.
Maybe I missed something?

But I do believe there is nothing magical about audio
and that all parameters of audio that can be heard can also be
measured.

See, you may not be the typical subjectivist then.

Or, maybe, you don't really know what many subjectivists are thinking.

I'm sure you have
seen posts and posts about how imaging cannot be measured.

I have seen many claiming the right things *aren't* being measured. I
have seen
a few claiming they *can't* be measured. You really ought to consider
the
diversity of opinions amoung subjectivists.

as for the third point, it simply does not apply to me at
all.

So you are again saying that you are less of a subjectivist than
others.

No, you are simply trying to stereotype a diverse group of people. I
still rely
on the old ears for my evaluations.

I know my limitations when it comes to technology and I know
better than to ascribe hypothetical cause and effects to various
designs of audio components. My hypothesis of any cause and effect
are usually born of trial and error while carefully allowing one
variable in my trials.

Some subjectivists' hypothesis is simply what they are told by boutique
companies. Witness cable burn-in, and CD magic pen.

You said some, Maybe you are getting it. That is good. Yes some people
buy
whatever line they are fed by those they look up to. I think that goes
both
ways. How many objectivists are really doing thier own extensive bias
controled
testing and how many are accepting what has been reported by other
objectivists
at face value? I'm confident there are plenty of both.

Here is something that was said about all objectivists in a
Stereophile article: "For an objectivist, the musical experience
begins with the compression and rarefaction of the local
atmosphere by a musical instrument
and
ends with the decay of hydraulic pressure waves in the listener's
cochlea;
"

Have you met an objectivist that behaves in such a way?

I have interacted with some that at first blush seemed to but upon
further converstation did not.

OK, so we all agree that the definition does not merit further debate.

There was never any debate. I presented it as an example of a
subjectivist
misrepresenting objectivists.

My point was that the
misrepresentations go in both directions. I guess you agree that this
was one of those misrepresentations of an objectivist by a
subjectivist. I don't know and you don't know that this author has
never meat an objectivist who actually meets this description. the
real problem is with the single universal description for a broad
group of people with diverse opinions.

So there are various shades of subjectivism. But by and large Doug Self
did a good job summarizing it.

We disagree.
Bromo

On 5/22/04 11:51 AM, in article 9GKrc.96267$xw3.5522754@attbi_s04, "Bruce J.
Richman" wrote:

Again, the frames-of-reference of the 2 camps are so disparate as to make
conversations basically useless.

Agreed. Subjectivists need to put their beliefs into experiments that verify
the claims.

There is no automatic requirement that subjectivists validate their opinions
via scientific experiments any more than there is a requirement for
subjectivists to validate their opinions about their preferences for any other
type of product, for example, music, automobilies, wines, etc. The "prove it"
mentality which some objectivists tend to demonstrate whenever individual
preferences are mentioned is, of course, simply an attempt to deny an
individual's right to prefer one product over another.

Kind of like declaring "I like vanilla ice cream" and having a bunch of
people descend upon you and claim that your testing methods are flawed and
that you prove that vanilla is superior to all the other flavors - and in
certain blind tests - vanilla ice cream did not distinguish itself as a
clearly superior ice cream to all others! And doing a test based upn the
temperature and containers used to transport the ice cream as proof - since
the flavor cannot be used as there would be biases! :-) :-)

Its about the music, guys!

:-)
Bromo

Richman" wrote:

It also represents an attempt to prevent newbies and others from getting
information from a variety of sources, including subjective reviews, to use a
guide in narrowing down the large number of products under consideration. No
doubt that anti-preference frame of reference would also favor all decisions
being made, therefore, on the basis of printed specifications. After all, why
even bother to audition products?

Keep in mind that a marketing department would *love* for just the data
sheet to be used as a purchase point for most components - since that is the
easiest thing to manipulate.

S888Wheel

From: "Michael McKelvy"
Date: 5/21/2004 8:46 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: "Bob Marcus"

Date: 5/20/2004 9:39 PM Pacific Standard Time

Bromo wrote:

Actually - an "objectivist" (the non-Ayn Rand type) and "subjectivist"

tend
to resemble each other in many ways.Ã, Both are interested in

having
good
sounding systems - and both have a method (trial and error or

measurement)
of achieving this.Ã, They BOTH tend to have systems that sound

good.

I suspect that objectivists in practice pay a lot less attention to
measurements than you think we do.

I suspect that varies from person to person. Nousaine just posted that
measurements are the primary criteria for his decisions.

I doubt that Nousaine is typical of people who believe that measurements
tell the whole story. Most people I know listen to some sort of comparison
involving components they are considering for purchase.

I never claimed Nousaine is typical of anything. IMO he represents the extreme
from the objectivist camp.

The real difference is that we also don't
pay much attention to subjective impressions that we know could be
imaginary.

Really? How do you choose speakers then? Are most objectivists conducting

bias
controled auditions of speakers? I think not.

There's no reason to, unless you are comparing 2 identical sets of speakers.
Differences in speakers are large enough to be heard easily.

So you think sighted bias does not affect one's perception of speaker
performance? The evidence strongly suggests it does. Quite profoundly.

I would say both extremes are caricatures. This one sure is:

An extreme "objectivist" would never
feel the need to actually listen to a sound system before purchase since
the
specification and measurements would say enough - but would be fully
willing
to hire a lab to determine if a piece of equipment is suitable.

It may be the extreme but it seems to be the reality for the extreme and

not
just a caricature. But the same is true for the subjectivists. The extreme

does
exist and is every bit as wacky.

Agreed.

normanstrong

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message
"S888Wheel" wrote in message

Really? How do you choose speakers then? Are most objectivists

conducting
bias
controled auditions of speakers? I think not.

There's no reason to, unless you are comparing 2 identical sets of

speakers.
Differences in speakers are large enough to be heard easily.

Be careful. Just because differences in speakers are large enough to
be easily heard does not mean that audio experts are willing to
evaluate them blind. Pros are rarely willing to make firm judgments
of speakers whose identity is not known to them. They have too much
to lose.

Norm Strong
Bruce J. Richman

Richman" wrote:

It also represents an attempt to prevent newbies and others from getting
information from a variety of sources, including subjective reviews, to use

guide in narrowing down the large number of products under consideration.

No
doubt that anti-preference frame of reference would also favor all

decisions
being made, therefore, on the basis of printed specifications. After all,

why
even bother to audition products?

Keep in mind that a marketing department would *love* for just the data
sheet to be used as a purchase point for most components - since that is the
easiest thing to manipulate.

I fully agree with your very valid point. Needless to say, manufacturers are
going to present technical specifications that present their products in as
favorable a manner as possible. I can remember a time, and perhaps you can as
well, when power ratings of amplifiers, for example, were not given in RMS
terms, but were given by less standardized means to "puff up" the apparent
power ratings of their products.

Hopefully, most audiophiles will have the common sense and good judgment to use
*both* manufacturer descriptions and personal listening auditions before making
any significant purchase decisions.

Bruce J. Richman

Bromo

On 5/22/04 12:21 PM, in article , "S888Wheel"
wrote:

I think the truth is that objectivists are more interested in the
measurements than the subjectivists but that does not mean that
measurments are being dismissed all together.

Self did not say that. Self said that when listening impressions
disagree with measurements, the latter can be discarded by
subjectivists.

I knew which measurements we were talking about. Dismissed is still
dismissed.
He did say "dismiss."

Despite some decent technical writing, Self tends to create a straw-man
extreme subjectivist and knock it down.

He did claim that "subjectivists" dismiss data.

While it is not safe to speak for a wide variety of people, if faced with a
situation where a data sheet pointed out that A is better than B yet when
examined, finding the opposite to appear to be true, you can draw a few
conclusions:

1. The data sheet is wrong somehow (marketing hype influencing numbers -
typical games being specifying minimum, typical or maximum)
2. The things that make one "superior" to another is not important for the
testing you are performing through listening.
3. It is all in your head and you are hallucinating (popular amoungst the
extreme "objectivist" crowd)
4. There are other unspecified items that are influencing the sound in a
way that you don't like.
5. There is some system interaction issue that is causing the data sheet
"winner" to sound less good than it should!

chung

wrote:

[...]

Have you confused data, as in a data sheet or spec sheet, with measurements?

Bromo

On 5/22/04 1:59 PM, in article , "chung"
wrote:

It's amazing, however, to see someone equate a subjective impression
with a measurement...

But it *is* a measurement of sorts - and data and datasheets can be
influenced by marketing departments.

The logic of that sentence escapes me. Are you saying that since data
and data sheets are influenced by marketing departments, then subjective
impressions are measurements?

How data is reported on a datasheet has as much input from the marketing
department as does it from the engineering department.

The marketing department will try to present the data in such a way to
highlight (even to the point of distortion) the desirability of the product

Case in point - power for amplifiers. Regardless of what you think the
effects of higher or lower power are on your speaker system - you will
purchase a receiver or amplifier with some knowledge of power.

One vendor may say it has 200W - neglecting to mention that it is at 1kHz
CW, and both channels together - and that number will be achieved by only
the top 10% of the amplifiers.

Another one might say 100Wpc and say 1KHz. Neglecting to mention that this
is a typical number - and actual values can be +/-10% from that for
instance.

Another one will take a conservative approach and specify the least you will
ever see - 100Wpc - but you will always see about 110Wpc. But in this case
they neglect to mention that it is 1kHz CW as well.

Another one might say 100Wpc, and it is the minimum, with both channels
driven 20-20kHz pink noise, but fail to mention that without loading the
power supply - a single channel could do 130Wpc.

All these results have examples in the audio industry - and all of these
data sheets aren't clear on how you can compare them as a consumer.

If you try to compare the data sheets to form an opinion - you are likely to
make a mistake - and fall prey to whether the people that published the
sheet are conservative, typical or wildly optimistic. They also will play
games on HOW the data is measured as well.

Basic point being - save from investing twice as much as the component you
want to buy in measurements - you will rely upon the data sheets, and advice
from the salesperson. If you want to "hear it for yourself" as well - you
will be listening to music, pink noise or whatever you like to use to see
which one works for you the best.

When you go to your favorite audio store, listen to a couple of amps,
form some kind of opinion, have you made a measurement?

You have done so with your ears. And listening to the music through the
reproduction equipment is important whether you use data sheets or not.

If the answer is yes, then why are we making a distinction between
subjective impressions and measurements? As in the frequent claim that
"objectivists rely on measurements, not their ears"?

When you form an opinion, you have passed subjective judgement. When you
listen, measure, or whatever, you are gathering data.

I do not think there are any "pure objectivists" in reality as well as there
are no "pure subjectivists" either.

I think you have to both trust data from reliable sources (*if* you
understand what the data means) as well as your senses in order to make a
decision for buying the equipment.

Chung, if I might be so bold as to ask - what is the rough process you
follow when you decide to buy a particular piece of equipment?

Bruce J. Richman

wrote:

Seems to me that you, being a subjectivist, based on
selections/preferences on measurements, too! You're sure you're not an
objectivist?

I see legitimate uses for both objective measurements and subjective
impressions. I also think that given repeated demonstrations and

repetitions
on RAHE, most of the discussions between the 2 camps are nonproductive.

It's amazing, however, to see someone equate a subjective impression
with a measurement...

But it *is* a measurement of sorts - and data and datasheets can be
influenced by marketing departments.

Agreed. And more to the point, when subjective impressions are given in a
double blind test, in which the results are tabulated, there is no question but
that the results are stated in measurement form. As stated previously, not
all measurements follow an interval or ratio scale. Statistical procedures
such as the chi square test and others have recognized nominal measurements for
a long time. .

[...]

If I understand you correctly, you're making the valid point that even the most
rigorously controlled test results of specific products per se, does not
necessarily deal with what statisticians might call "interaction effects" (see,
for example, analysis of variance procedures in which the significance of
individual variables is *not* the only thing being measured).

For instance - when using 40' of 20 cheap speaker wire to drive Martin Logan
speakers might give slightly different results than a thicker wire due to
the impedance changes and highly capacitive load at 20kHz, as might two
different amps.

Forgive me for smiling here, but are you psychic? It just so happens that
my system contains (a) Martin Logan speakers (CLS IIs), (b) not a 40' but 25"
runs of fairly thick speaker wire (StraightWire Encore), and (c) a definitely
"different" amplifier (a tubed CJ Premier 11A). The "integration" of this
system was done, IMHO, slowly, carefully, with ample attention to both
objective data presented by the manufacturers and extensive personal listening
auditions in which many comparisons were made. And in my judgment, and that of
several peers (whom I deliberately selected with llittle prior knowledge about
audio gear), the results were pretty conclusive - and different!!!!

[...]

chung

wrote:

[...]

I read all of that (honestly!), and I still do not see that you answered
my question. Which was: are you saying that the fact marketing has an
influence on data sheers implies that subjective impressions are
measurements?

When you go to your favorite audio store, listen to a couple of amps,
form some kind of opinion, have you made a measurement?

You have done so with your ears.

Hmmm, so every time you listen, you are making a measurement. You said
that you are an RF engineer. How do you make measurements on anything in
RF? Do you use instruments? Are your results expressed in numbers? If
another engineer makes those measurements with the same equipment, would
they get different answers?

And listening to the music through the
reproduction equipment is important whether you use data sheets or not.

No one said otherwise.

If the answer is yes, then why are we making a distinction between
subjective impressions and measurements? As in the frequent claim that
"objectivists rely on measurements, not their ears"?

When you form an opinion, you have passed subjective judgement. When you
listen, measure, or whatever, you are gathering data.

I do not think there are any "pure objectivists" in reality as well as there
are no "pure subjectivists" either.

I think you have to both trust data from reliable sources (*if* you
understand what the data means) as well as your senses in order to make a
decision for buying the equipment.

So have you answered the question, which is "why are we making a
distinction between subjective impression and measurements as in the
frequenct claim that objectivists rely on measurements and not their ears"?

You know, it is awfully hard to continue a thread when you wander all
over and not respond to the questions raised...

Chung, if I might be so bold as to ask - what is the rough process you
follow when you decide to buy a particular piece of equipment?

Which particular piece of equipment are you talking about? There is big
difference between buying speakers and buying cables.

S888Wheel

Michael Scarpitti

(Bruce J. Richman) wrote in message news:9GKrc.96267$xw3.5522754@attbi_s04...

The main criticism I would make against 'objectivists' is that there
is no 'objectivity' in measurement either. It is a false claim. It
would be like measuring two wines' specific gravity, and declaring the
one with higher specific gravity as 'better'. Of course, they could
say, any 'competent' wine must have a specific gravity between x and
y. I'm sure oenologists use specific gravity measurements in their
work of creating fine wines...but....the purpose of wine is to be
drunk, and the only basis for evaluating them is taste.

Likewise with audio equipment. The design engineer measures, the
customer listens..

[...]

Bromo

wrote:

[...]

Yes - that is exactly my point. The differences likely to be measured, and
a mistake made in many reviewers (T$S, TAS, Stereophile, etc.) is that a
component's "sonic attributes" may only have validity in _that_ system. And
people who may notice a difference, may boil down to the system as a whole.

I have spent the lions share of my career in understanding subsystem
interactions - and it is not a trivial matter, and one not be be ignored
without generating trouble.

It makes me think that the Subjectivist/Objectivist camps spring from a lack
of understanding on both sides of system integration. Objectivists chalk it
up to imagination, Subjectivists throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Perhaps there is a new pole in this debate "Realists" or "Pragmatists?"

For instance - when using 40' of 20 cheap speaker wire to drive Martin Logan
speakers might give slightly different results than a thicker wire due to
the impedance changes and highly capacitive load at 20kHz, as might two
different amps.

Forgive me for smiling here, but are you psychic?

Nope - just that would be the toughest integration I could think of that
would lead one down the Sub/Obj path...

It just so happens that
my system contains (a) Martin Logan speakers (CLS IIs), (b) not a 40' but 25"
runs of fairly thick speaker wire (StraightWire Encore), and (c) a definitely
"different" amplifier (a tubed CJ Premier 11A). The "integration" of this
system was done, IMHO, slowly, carefully, with ample attention to both
objective data presented by the manufacturers and extensive personal listening
auditions in which many comparisons were made. And in my judgment, and that
of
several peers (whom I deliberately selected with llittle prior knowledge about
audio gear), the results were pretty conclusive - and different!!!!

Yes! Not surprised - and if you did a listening test with cables, amps and
Klipschhorns you would find the noise floor of the amp too high and the 40'
of speaker wire to be totally adequate!

ML's are excellent speakers, BTW - I didn't get instead getting Thiels
because the WAF was not satisfied as they would dominate the relatively
small room. Color my jealous!! :-)

Bruce J. Richman

Bob Marcus wrote:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote:

Bob Marcus wrote:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote:

I've often considered the objectivist viewpoint that "all competent
amplifiers
operating within their power ranges with appropriate speakers sound

the
same",
etc. possibly true *for the measurable variables that they are

interested
in*,
but nonetheless possibly not true - nor measurable by a-b or a-b-x

tests -
for
the sound qualities that subjectivists are interested in.

The fallacy here is the assumption that "the sound qualities that
subjectivists are interested in" have causes beyond what measurements

or ABX
tests can detect. There is no evidence that this is true.

There is no fallacy because there is no statement that measurements
per se can
not account for various perceptual phenomena experienced by
subjectivists who
attribute sonic differences to certain pieces of equipment. However,
unlike
the omniscient objectivists who consider the subject closed and not
subject to
debate,

This is quite disgraceful, sir. If you want to have a debate, the least
you can do is not start out by slandering your opponents.

And you, sir, are guilty of character assassination. Nobody has been
slandered, nor do you speak for others than yourself. I don't consider those
with whom I disagree as "opponents", since unlike yourself, apparently, I
have no need to engage in ad hominem attacks by throwing around legal terms
like
"slander" inappropriately. I'd recommend you consult an attorney to learn
how
slander is defined. Your opening comments come a lot closer to
meeting any legal definition than anything I've said in this post, IMHO.

I suspect that many subjectivists would consider the possibility that
certain variables routinely named in reviews (see myh original post)
may have
measurement correlates. Indeed, one of the points of John Atkinson's
measurements, for example, which accompany his Stereophile reviews, is
to,

when
evident, point out certain correlates between various frequency,
distortion or
other technical measurements and subjective impressions obtained by
reviewers.
Of course, ABX tests are irrelevant in this regard. Once an
objectivist has,
of course, ruled out any and all possible measurement variations as
posibly
accounting for any perceived differences, the futility of debating
those with
different frames of reference becomes even more evident.

If you want futility, try debating someone who makes no effort even to
understand what you are saying, and merely repeats misstatements about
your positions.

As your opening comments illustrate, and as you comments throughout
this post indicate, you are describing your own behavior.

No doubt I'll be
challenged on this view, but let me explain.

When one reads a subjective review, or perhaps does one's own review

either
in
a showroom or in one's home, one *might* be perceiving sonic

qualities
either
not measured nor easily defined by the usual objectivist standards.Â

For
example, Harry has used the word "musicality".Â
A term with no clear definition. Nor is there any evidence that it

means the
same thing to different audiophiles.

Nor was there a claim made that it did have a clear definition or the
same
thing to di9fferent audiophiles. That said, one can certainly ask
audiophiles
to describe more specifically what they mean when they use such terms,
or more
precise ones such as "lean", "more body", etc., and then determine
empirically
to what extent there is agreement or disagreement amongst different
observers.
For subjectivists, I would suspect that what would be a more relevant
= and
practical = question would be the extent to which a given component is
"preferred" to another for the same reason by a group of listeners.
For
example, if 75% of a group preferred component A to component B, and
when
asked, were able to reasonably attribute the same approximate reason
for their
preference - in terms of some sonic qualities, this would, of course,
never
meet oobjectivist standards in which only measurements currently
accepted by
that group are of importance,

Again, a bald-faced misrepresentation. Have you no shame?

This is an outrageous false claim which appoaches the criteria for
slander that you have used in ad hominem attacks directed at those with whom
you have disagreed. This is not the first time that you have engaged in
character assassination against this poster, as the Google record clearly
indicates. Are you incapable of rational conversation without resorting to
blatant
falsehoods about other people's statements and/or motivations?

but they might well be relevant to subjectivists
who place greater value on listening experiences in a natural
environment than
on argument purely by specifications. Also, unless one is willing to
assume
that all possible measurements have already been discovered and
enshrined as
all there is to know,

And yet again.

Another ridiculous exaggeration and demonstrated inability to either
comprehend or accurately interpret what has been said.

it would seem reasonable to assume that some subjective
qualities could be correlated to some extent with specific
measurements yet to
be tried.

And I might use the same term,
and others might make refernce to the imaging, soundstaging or

*depth of
field"
qualities associated with a particular piece of equiopment.Â
Are these "qualities associated with a particular piece of

equiopment"?
These are all mental constructs.

On the contrary, these are descriptions of how music is actually
experienced

by
many listeners. Of course, perceptions are involved, but these
perceptions

are
influenced by the methods used in recording the music and reproducing
it
through the audio system.

Obviously.

Agreement noted.

The imaging isn't "real"--the sound is
being produced at only two points. Our brains construct these images

based
on sounds reaching our ears from all directions, as a result of the
interaction between the speakers and the room. The audio system's
contribution to this process is the direct sound--simply changes in

air
pressure--radiating from the speakers. And that sound can be fully

measured.
After all, beyond frequency and amplitude, what else is there coming

out of
a speaker?

It would seem obvious that the ability of a given component to
replicate the
intentions of the recording team in producing a given set of
instrumentation
and/or vocals in which instruments and vocalists appear to the
listener to
appear in different places in the soundfield is *not* as simplistic as
you
claim.

But you’re about to demonstrate just how simple it is…

Unfortunately, since you have demonstrated a tendency to misrepresent what I've
actually said as "slander", and also have failed, it would seem, to accurately
comprehend what I have written and drawn erroneous conclusions from my post,
the need for a more concrete and specific example appears necessary. It is not
intended for other objectivists who may disagree with my views, or those who
may agree with them. For those able to engage in civilized disagreement, it
would probably not be necessary.

More specifically, it goes without saying that the proportion of the
amplitude

Note that word: Amplitude. That’s something we can measure. And it’s
something we can detect differences in using DBTs. So just what is it
about imaging that you think objectivists don’t understand?

Again, you're misrepresenting my position and attempting to put words
in my mouth. I have not claimed that objectivists don't understand imaging.
However, "imaging" per se, seems to be a term that appears much more
frequently
in subjective reviews of equipment.

of a given instrument, for example, assigned to the 2 channels after
mixdown in the recording will, by design, attempt to "locate" the
instrument

in
the sound field (e.g. strings on the left, woodwinds in the center,
double
basses and cellos on the right in a typical symphony setup). It does
not seem
beyond the realm of possiblity that some components might be more
precise or
accurate (pick whatever adjective you prefer) at transferring the
recording
engineer's intentions to the listening room of a subjectivist who
appreciates
things such as "imaging" ability.

Of course it’s not beyond the realm of possibility for two components
to differ in their ability to accurately reproduce amplitude
differences between channels. But we can measure those differences, and
we can detect them in DBTs. So just what is it about imaging that you
think objectivists don’t understand?

See my comments above Repetition of false misrepresentations about what I've
actually said will not make them true.

That's why objectivists don't buy the notion that there are things

they
can't measure, or things that ABX tests can't detect. We don't have to
"measure imaging"; all we have to do is to measure the things that

cause our
brains to "image."

There was no claim made that certain things can't be measured - just
that the
variables sometimes discussed by subjectivists are not usually subject
to any
*attempt* to measure them.

Why should we bother to measure them? You seem to think that
measurements are important here. They aren’t. What we can hear is
important. So is sorting out what we truly hear from what we only
imagine that we hear. But of course, if you can’t mischaracterize
objectivists as people obsessed with measurement, then you haven’t got
a case.

Your attempts to misrepresent my comments are based on your own prejudices and
nothing that I have said. If anything, you've proven my main thesis,
at least as far as your misdirecfted attempts to falsify my position are
concerned. The frames-of-reference and subjects of interest to the 2 camps
are
largely, although not entirely, orthogonal.
You're not qualified by either training or experience to
evaluate the personality characteristics or alleged flaws of others. I am.
Therefore, your use of words such as "obsessed" when describing the behavior of
another poster is inaccurate, misapplied, unscientific and inappropriate.
..
Just as various audio phenomena can be measured, obsessive behavior
can be and has been measured numerous times in empirical experiments widely
reported in peer-reviewed Psychology journals. Your use of the term,
unfortunately, is totally
lacking in substantive evidence, and in the eyes of a psychologist, *might*,
as the saying goes, tell us more about the person making the statement than
the intended target. But this is just an hypothesis, of course.

It might well be possibld, for example, to measure
"imaging" if one could measure the relative amplitude of certain single
instruments, or a vocalist's voice, at the speaker sources. One would
expect,
for example, that a singer centered between the speakers, would have
roughly
equal amplitudes coming from both left and right speakers. Other
instruments
in the orchestral or band mix would presumably have different
proportions from
left and right depending on their locations.

And what makes you think we can’t measure this?

Where have I claimed that *you* (not "we") can't measure this? . There is
no evidence provided by you that I have made this claim, other than the
repetitive assertion of your illogical assumption about my views on imaging.
My choice to discuss imaging, as opposed, for example, to frequency,
distortion, or amplitude, was done purely to illustrate the point that there
are variables of importance to subjectivists, such as imaging, that are not
typically discussed or from what I can see, addressed, by most objectivists.
There is nothing in this observation that implies or states that imaging cannot
be measured

(Before anyone jumps on the point, I'll concede that radiation

patterns of
loudspeakers and room interactions are extremely complex and

certainly not
reduceable to simple measurements.

On this point we agree.

But loudspeakers aren't part of the
obj/subj debate.

Of course not. However, since loudspeaker are used by both camps to
make

their
judgments, I would think that their interaction with the compoents
under test
could certainly be a relevant factor in determining test results.

I’m not much interested in what you *think*. I’m interested in whether
you have any evidence that an amplifier or cable can affect imaging,
other than through easily measured effects on amplitude and frequency
response.

And I'm not interested in your continuous, and rather predictable, attempts to
erect strawmen by assuming I've made statements nowhere in evidence so that
you can then engage in further inappropriate ad hominem attacks.

Since you are demanding evidence of others, I would be interested in seeing any
evidence you have that I have stated in this thread that imaging can't be
measured. You keep repeating this false claim about what I have said as if
redundant misrepresentations of my position will somehow cause them to be
believed by others.

Many
reviewers have commented on the relative synergy or lack of synergy
between a
certain product, for example, and a certain speaker. Now, as an
objectivist,
you may not accept this line of reasoning, but consider, as you've
mentioned,
the variation in radiation patterns, and I'll add in other speaker

complexities
such as resistance curves (said as the owner of electrostatics that
have wild
resistance swings and definitely *don't* sound the same with every
amplifier

or
preamplifier), sensitivities, possible crossover effects, etc.

What is it that you don’t think I’ve considered? Why should I give any
credence to anyone who talks about “synergyâ€� between speakers and other
components and doesn’t’ even offer a coherent definition of the term?

All “synergyâ€� appears to mean is that this speaker sounds better with
this amp than with that amp. Fine. Then you should be able to tell the
two amps apart blind, when driving that speaker. Show me that you can,
and I’ll believe that this “synergyâ€� is real. (Please note: There is no
mention of measurement in this paragraph. That’s your hang-up, not
mine.)

I have no hangup with measurements, and favor their use in many
situations. You not qualified to evaluate "hang-ups", but continue to engage
in ad
hominem attacks. So who really has the hangups?

And components ahead of the speakers have no impact on
these radiation patterns--which is why it's so funny to read

reviewers who
talk about certain cables "opening up the sound.")

One can always find extremes to ridicule. I lose very little sleep
over the
hyperbole of many cable manufacturers. But I don't think they are
reified by
too many subjectivists.

Are you joking? Loads of them buy it hook, line, and sinker. Just read
any high-end discussion site other than this one.

As a former poster to RAHE would say, I've been there and done that.
Discussing sonic qualities in a subjective review forum does not, in empirical
terms, indicate that all the hype is embraced. Audio Asylum, with its
many subdivisions, for example, is a very highly utilized hgih-end
discussion site. The percentage of posts even dealing with high-end cables
there is
quite small. Other sites in wich I have participated, including
www.martinloganowners.com and www.stevehoffman.tv are also decent examples of
discussion sites
in which
many equipment (and music) subjects are discussed, but little
attention is devoted to discussion of cables. Even the content of such
magazines as
Stereophile and The Absolute Sound, contain relatively few cable reviews, nor
do their letter columns or websites give the subject of cable evaluations a
very prominent place in comparison with the attention devoted to other
classes of equipment.

Still others may
simply say "this sounds more realistic me" (than another component

being
compared). While it may be perfectly acceptable to the

objectivists to
consider only variables that can be measured in terms of frequency

response
or
various kinds of distortion, I would be reluctant - as I think would

be
most
subjectivists - to attribute the various variables I've mentioned

above to
specific, capable of replication, measurements to measure these

things.

What else is there to attribute them to? Sound really is just

frequency and
amplitude. Every effect must have a cause, and those are the only

possible
causes.

See my comments above re. imaging. Amplitude differerences may be
responsible
in some cases.

They are also measurable. They are also detectable in DBTs. So what are
objectivists missing?

See my comments above. No claim has been made by this poster that
imaging can not be measured. In fact, examples gtiven by me suggest the
opposite
position re. measurement of imaging.

Also, what I had in mind in making my comments was not to
disagree with your argument re. frequency and amplitude as the only
salient
measurements, but in *how* they might be measured by an objectivist -
or
perhaps more typically, on a specification sheet,

Whoa--who said spec sheets were the be-all and end-all of measurements?

in which, for example, a
frequency range with plus and minus db points is given, but little
attention

is
paid to how that "range" actually operates into a given speaker load,
or how

it
might actually vary at different points along the response curve. It
would
certainly seem possible that there could be some peaks and valleys in
this
curve, for example, that might interact with a given speakers *own*
set of
technical characteristics, to produce a certain "character", if you
will. I
apologize for using a real life, subjective term .

So objectivists can’t measure everything because some measurements
don’t appear on the typical spec sheet? What kind of argument is this?

Again, you've fallen into the inappropraite habit of misrepresenting what I've
actually said. No claim has been made that objectivists can't measure
whatever they care to measure. All that's been suggested is that perhaps a
more
complete set of measurements would be of value in explaining why a
given component *might* sound different to some people than another under
comparison.

Also, how often, even within the frequency response realm, are

complete
graphs
presented that *might* account for a particular component being

perceived
as
relatively analytical, dark, or lean - all terms frequently used by
subjectivists?

I don't know. How often? (And what's your point?)

See comments above. What is your purpose in continuously assuming
that I have made statements or have motives that are not in evidence?

The question was rhetorical. And the point, as illustrated above, is
self-evident,

If it were self-evident, I’d have understood it. I have absolutely no
idea what your point was here.

except to those that might assume that all questions have been
answered and are not debatable.

You’ve run out of arguments again, so you’re back to this slander.

As demonstrated earlier, the only person possibly guilty of slander in this
post, and I'd be perfectly happy to let an attorney decide this, is
yourself. You've made numerous false claims about what I've actually said.
You
have had the unmitigated chutzpah to misinterpret and pretend to divine my
motives, and you've seen fit to toss around terms like "obsessed" and
"hangups"
which you are clearly unqualified to either evaluate or use in any rational
discussion.
This licensed psychologist, however, is, and tries to not engage in
character assassination via the despicable misuse of psychological
terminology.

Again, more evidence of the total waste of
time in trying to talk about extreme objectivist - subjectivist
differences.

This is one of the reasons that I feel the 2 "camps" are really

operating
from
almost totally different frames-of-reference and the endless

challenges and
disputes about the value of double blind testing, are, in practical

terms,
unlikely to convince anybody of anything they don't already strongly
believe.

Can't argue with that!

Really? That's a surprise. On practically everything else, I
recommend
we agree to disagree. But given your agreement with my final
paragraph, why
monopolize RAHE, to a large extent, with endless discussions of this
old
argument?

Who’s monopolizing anything? And isn’t the pot calling the kettle black
here?

I don't think so, at least as concerns the number of posts that I've
made to RAHE over the years. Even the most casual glance at the topic list of

RAHE on any given day seems to indicate that, unfortunately, IMHO, the
objectivist-subjectivist arguments have almost totally (but not completely)
dominated the discussions here. And most of the post have come from the
objectivist camp, not the subjectivist camp. The moderators have
even, at times, chosen, to limit discussion of certain topics such as double
blind testing, I suspect, for the same reason.

To answer the more general point, I’m arguing with you not because I
think you are remotely convincible, but because I know there are others
reading this newsgroup whose minds are not made up. Not to respond to
your misrepresentations of the objectivist position would, I fear, lead
them to conclude that your characterizations of us were accurate.

You've
constatnly misrepresented what I've said, assumed that I've made
claims that are *nowhere* supported by anything I've actually said, and have
then attempted to attack the very strawmen you've created. It is the height
of irony that in the course of making the same false claim repeatedly - namely,
that I have claimed imaging can't be measured by objectivists - all you've done
is to demonstrate your lack of scientific rigor. In your self-proclaimed
efforts to represent the objectiit position (by presuming uou speak for other
objectivists as well as yourself) , all you've succeeded in doing is
demonstrating that you have the ability to repeat a false claim over and over
again. Nowhere in anything I've said is there even the slightest scintilla of
evidence that I've claimed that imaging can not be measured - which is the
mantra that you seem determined to repeat. In so doing you've done those
reading this post a favor. You've succeeded in demonstrating that a person who
claims to be representing all objectivists on RAHE by his silly use of the
pronoun "we" (despite no evidence that anybody has appointed him as their
spokesman) has no hesitance in misrepresenting over and over again what another
person with whom he disagrees *has actually said*. If this is the type of
"scientific approach" that you are attempting to demonstrate on behalf of
objectivists (and it is you, not I, that think you represent all objectivists),
then you, sir, are indeed doing them a disservice. I feel confident in stating
that I probably have a much more healthy respect (and have been fully trained)
in scientific methodology than you do.

I plead guilty to injecting my comments here, but generally speaking,
usually steer clear of entering this endless cycle of retorts.

I recommend that you steer clear until you’ve made some effort at least
to understand what we are saying.

There has been no evidence to support your assertions that your constant,
repetitive misrepresentations of what I've actually stated are supported by
other objectivists. There is no evidence to indicate your election or
designation as their spokesman, AFAIK. Therefore, your use of the pronoun "we"
appears to be a rather disingenuous attempt to bolster and/or lend credibility
to your demonstrably false claims about my position on measurements and more
specifically, imaging.

Unlike yourself, I prefer to take the high moral ground and readily acknowledge
that my views may or may not represent those of other subjectivists. (And in
reality, I'm probably a lot more of an objectivist in many respects - due to my
fairly rigorous scientific training in experimental design, statistics, etc.)
then you have any reason to suspector can even begin to fathom).

I recommend that you learn how to engage in rational, civilized discourse
before you further attempt to discuss issues with those whose views you
oppose. I further recommend that you refrain from using terms such as "we"
unless you have some evidence that you've been elected to speak for other
objectivists. I'd also suggest that you perhaps consider some training in
reading
comprehension so that you no longer engage in making erroneous
statements, interpretations, and/or concluisions about what others have
actually
said in print.Until these modifications are made, I'd suggest that you take
your own
advice (and tramsparent attempt at censorship) about staying away.

bob

Bruce J. Richman
Bruce J. Richman

Stewart Pinkerton

Richman" wrote:

The "prove it"
mentality which some objectivists tend to demonstrate whenever individual
preferences are mentioned is, of course, simply an attempt to deny an
individual's right to prefer one product over another.

Kind of like declaring "I like vanilla ice cream" and having a bunch of
people descend upon you and claim that your testing methods are flawed and
that you prove that vanilla is superior to all the other flavors - and in
certain blind tests - vanilla ice cream did not distinguish itself as a
clearly superior ice cream to all others!

Unfortunately, the above is just another typical strawman, one of an
army which Richman seems determined to create. Objectivists only say
'prove it' when someone claims that one wire *sounds* different from
another. This is not a matter of 'preference', it is a claim of
*difference*, and no such claim has *ever* been substantiated. Prefer
fat yellow wires to skinny blue wires all you like, but don't try to
tell us that they *sound* different - because that just ain't so!

Bromo

wrote:

[...]

Nope - but the basic assumption is that 99% of the self titles
"objectivists" will not have the required equipment and lab settings in
order to make the required measurements - as well as doing a sufficiently
rigorous system analysis to be able to have a good set of measurements to be
able to judge the sound system without having to resort to "subjectivist"
listening.

There is also a fair amount of skill in test and metrology that is required
in order to get the correct measurements in an objective manner - again, I
do not think that most people who fancy themselves "objectivists" and would
chalk up perceived sonic differences to imagination, may not be capable of
measuring the items properly even if the equipment were available.

Those "objectivists" would have to rely upon others to tell them the stats
and explain what those stats would mean. Additionally, if this is not
available, then the decision to purchase will boil down to examining and
comparing specification sheets. In both cases as an "objectivist," at least
99% of them, will be placing their faith in marketing departments of the
equipment they are purchasing, and faith in others who are "experts" in the
test and measurements.

I for one, rely upon data sheets to a fair degree, but I am going to listen
to the equipment as the final arbiter.

Bromo

On 5/23/04 2:08 PM, in article EM5sc.100462$iF6.9325934@attbi_s02, "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

Prefer
fat yellow wires to skinny blue wires all you like, but don't try to
tell us that they *sound* different - because that just ain't so!

Stewart,

Are you sure? I certainly have noticed a difference, and if the topic comes
up, I will state my observation.

I will concede that the cable *by itself* makes no real difference. But I
will stand by the fact that it is in context of the entire system that a
difference can be found with some amplifiers driving some speakers.

Bob Marcus

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

The main criticism I would make against 'objectivists' is that there
is no 'objectivity' in measurement either.

Of course there is. No matter how many times you take the measurement
(assuming you do it properly) you get the same result. That's pretty much
the scientific definition of objective.

It is a false claim. It
would be like measuring two wines' specific gravity, and declaring the
one with higher specific gravity as 'better'.

But that has nothing to do with the measurement of specific gravity. That
has to do with the interpretation of the measurement. Depending on what you
wanted to do with the wine, the one with higher specific gravity might well
be better. :-) But specific gravity, unlike taste preference, is objective.
If your argument is that you can't use objective measurements to determine
subjective preferences, I would agree 100%. But you've hardly identified a
failing of objectivists if the objectivists start agreeing with you.

Besides, your analogy to audio objectivists seems to me to be 180 degrees
off. Objectivists don't claim that one amp is better than another because it
has lower THD, for example. We usually claim that the two sound the same!
(SETs excluded, of course.)

Of course, they could
say, any 'competent' wine must have a specific gravity between x and
y. I'm sure oenologists use specific gravity measurements in their
work of creating fine wines...but....the purpose of wine is to be
drunk, and the only basis for evaluating them is taste.

Absolutely. But that doesn't mean that the only basis for evaluating
automobiles is road feel.

Likewise with audio equipment. The design engineer measures, the
customer listens..

Well, let's hope that design engineer used objective measurements!

bob

download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/
Michael Scarpitti

chung wrote in message ...

2. Degradation effects MAY exist in amplifiers that are unknown to
engineering science, which are not revealed by the usual measurements.
[Reasoning: Complex waveforms may behave in ways that are not entirely
described by the usual methods.]

I would not agree with point #3. I would also disagree with the
adjective 'objective' (measurements) in point 1. There is no basis for
claiming measurements are 'objective'.

Now you are trying to justify why you yourself are a subjectivist. I
don't see anything you wrote conflicting with Doug Self's description.
Doug stated the symptoms, and you are trying to justify those symptoms.

Now when you said measurements are not objective, you have totally lost
me and, I'm sure, others. Measurements are repeatable, based on
instruments, and are not subjective. For instance, you run a frequency
response measurement, and the results are what the instruments measure.
If someone else use the same instrument and run the same test, the
results are the same. So how are measurements not objective?

They are not related in any direct way to what we perceive. Did you
not read the example of the wine's specific gravity? 'Objective' must
also be 'relevant'.

Nousaine

From: "Bob Marcus"

Date: 5/20/2004 9:39 PM Pacific Standard Time

Bromo wrote:

Actually - an "objectivist" (the non-Ayn Rand type) and "subjectivist" tend
to resemble each other in many ways.ÀšÃ‚Â* Both are interested in having

good
sounding systems - and both have a method (trial and error or measurement)
of achieving this.ÀšÃ‚Â* They BOTH tend to have systems that sound good.

I suspect that objectivists in practice pay a lot less attention to
measurements than you think we do.

I suspect that varies from person to person. Nousaine just posted that
measurements are the primary criteria for his decisions.

I beg your pardon. Why not refer to what I said. Were not price, features, size
and power capability mentioned as my criteria for amplifiers? Where was
measurements mentioned?

It is true that I chose my speakers based on measured (and audible)
performance. How about subwoofers? Performance.

The real difference is that we also don't
pay much attention to subjective impressions that we know could be
imaginary.

Really? How do you choose speakers then? Are most objectivists conducting
bias
controled auditions of speakers? I think not.

I use whatever bias controls are feasible for all evaluative listening. With
speakers this includes obvious bias-reducers (like common program material,
audio obstacle programs) that subjectivists either don't understand or
apparently never even consider

I would say both extremes are caricatures. This one sure is:

An extreme "objectivist" would never
feel the need to actually listen to a sound system before purchase since
the
specification and measurements would say enough - but would be fully
willing
to hire a lab to determine if a piece of equipment is suitable.

I don't need to hire a lab. I own one.

It may be the extreme but it seems to be the reality for the extreme and not
just a caricature. But the same is true for the subjectivists. The extreme
does
exist and is every bit as wacky.

I am an extreme subjectivist. I attempt to listen to ONLY acoustical
performance.
Bruce J. Richman

Richman" wrote:

The "prove it"
mentality which some objectivists tend to demonstrate whenever individual
preferences are mentioned is, of course, simply an attempt to deny an
individual's right to prefer one product over another.

Kind of like declaring "I like vanilla ice cream" and having a bunch of
people descend upon you and claim that your testing methods are flawed and
that you prove that vanilla is superior to all the other flavors - and in
certain blind tests - vanilla ice cream did not distinguish itself as a
clearly superior ice cream to all others!

Unfortunately, the above is just another typical strawman, one of an
army which Richman seems determined to create.

This statement is patently false and illustrates, in my judgment, the
lengths to which Pinkerton will go to spread disinformation about this
poster. It is significant to observe that Pinkerton has presented no
empirical evidence to support the ridiculous and misleading statement
he has made about my intentions or actual behavior re. strawmen.
Where are the statistics to support his inflammatory claim? And as
for my motivations, he is obviously unqualified to evaluate them.

It is indeed ironic that Pinkerton would complain about strawmen
erected by this poster, especially since quite recently, in this very
thread, he attempted to erect his own in connection with one of my
posts. More specifically, in discussing DBT's, he attempted to argue
that these do not involve measurements as opposed to my indication
that they do. I'm ready to cite the Google reference for this
exchange if it is needed to verify my claim. Needless to say, it was
quite easy to destroy his strawman by simply pointing out that DBT's
are *not* simply subjective impressions, as he tried to assert in his
argument, but quite clearly *both* subjective impressions *and*
measurements of a testee's ability to discriminate between 2 stimuli
presented under bias-controlled conditions. If they were not designed
to elicit measurements, why conduct DBT's?

Objectivists only say
'prove it' when someone claims that one wire *sounds* different from
another. This is not a matter of 'preference', it is a claim of
*difference*, and no such claim has *ever* been substantiated. Prefer
fat yellow wires to skinny blue wires all you like, but don't try to
tell us that they *sound* different - because that just ain't so!

Pinkerton can speak for himself, but it would not appear reasonable
for him to speak for other objectivists. As with subjectivists, there
would appear to be many "flavors", with different perceptionss and/or
observe that in making my observation, I deliberately used the term
"some objectivists" and did not make a blanket statement about
objectivists. Be that as it may, it is indeed ironic that one of the
first to complain about lack of evidence for assertions made by
others, has not provided any evidence to support his own assertions.
Again, he has presented no evidence, nor can he, to support his
exaggerated and false claim that I have presented an "army of
strawman" and am "determined to create" them. To substantiate his
first irresponsible statement, he would need to supply statistical
evidence. He has not and can not. To substantiate his second claim,
he would have to be able to read my mind, and/or evaluate my motives.
He can do neither. It appears that he has failed to meet several
criteria often demanded by SOME objectivists of others.

Bruce J. Richman

Bob Marcus

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote:

However,
unlike
the omniscient objectivists who consider the subject closed and not
subject to
debate,

This is quite disgraceful, sir. If you want to have a debate, the least
you can do is not start out by slandering your opponents.

And you, sir, are guilty of character assassination.Â* Nobody has been
Â* slandered,

Ahem. "...the omniscient objectivists who consider the subject closed and
not subject to debate..." is what I meant by slander. It isn't true, and
someone who's been reading this newsgroup as long as you have ought to know
that it isn't true. We "omniscients" have repeatedly asked for
counterevidence, and invited people to try controlled experiments that would
prove that their perceptions are real. Indeed, Tom Nousaine has even offered
to help conduct such experiments. That's hardly the behavior of people who
think a subject is closed to debate.

Your recent posts have been peppered with insinuations about
objectivists--that we want to close off debate, that we do nothing but look
at measurements, even that we intentionally only do measurements that will
make components look the same. These are false, and, as one of the obvious
objects of these insinuations, I find them derogatory. False and derogatory
comes pretty close to the legal definition of slander.

bob

Bob Marcus

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote:

Tom Nousaine wrote:

What
they need to stop doing is claiming that their asmplifiers have
special sound
quality attributes based on acoustical characteristics that
cannot be
identified when a figurative blindfold is produced.
And they should cease recommending these products to neophytes
and newbies
based on these attributes that have never been shown to exist.

Or they should stop carping over the extant evidence and produce
some
credible
evidence of their own to support their claims.

None of this says that you shouldn't be happy with any decision
you've made
about any gear you've acquired or tweaks or modifications you've
made.

No, of course not .Â* It is just a rather transparent attempt to eliminate
all
publications, internet reviews, etc. in which audiophiles, reviewers, and
others given their subjective impressions of components they have heard
and/or
used.

Do you really believe this? That we're in the censorship business?

It also represents an attempt to prevent newbies and others from getting
information from a variety of sources, including subjective reviews, to use
guide in narrowing down the large number of products under consideration.Â*
No
doubt that anti-preference frame of reference would also favor all
decisions
being made, therefore, on the basis of printed specifications.Â* After all,
why
even bother to audition products?

Where do you get this stuff??? You seem to live in some alternative
sphere where your own freedom to choose audio components for
whatever reason you like is being taken away from you by some hypothetical
group of people
idiotic enough to make all their purchasing decisions "on the basis
of printed specifications." (There's that strawman again.)

Nobody's stopping you from buying anything you like. And nobody's
stopping TAS from writing anything they like. The OP's point was
that people who wax poetic on the subject of amp sound ought at
least to demonstrate that they can tell two amps apart by sound
alone. Do you think that's unreasonable?

All these dogmatic statements illustrate is the central point I've been
making
- Dialogue between the 2 camps is as useless ad tryinj to convert others.
There is no evidence to suggest that the majority of those who favor
personal
auditions and listening over blind faith based on measurements

Once again, no one puts blind faith in measurements--see Nousaine's response
to you. Will you now desist in this canard?

alone - and at
that, -probably a carefully selected *set* of measurements often designed
minimize differences, are ready to abandon their right to evaluate and
perceive
products as they see fit.

"...probably a carefully selected *set* of measurements often designed to
minimize differences..."

Are you serious? Do you think engineers invented THD to try to pull the wool
over your eyes?

Note that I am not disparaging or even disagreeing with the use of
bias-controlled testing by those who consider the sine qua non for making
their
own decisions, or even as a legitimate research tool in product
development.
However, attempts to deny an individual the right to use whatever terms
they
choose to use in describing their own individual experience in hearing a
product

Since you object to my earlier accusation of slander, let me
challenge you to quote--directly--one case of an "[attempt] to deny
an individual the *right* [emph added] to use whatever terms they
choose to use in describing their own individual experience in
hearing a product." Just one. Or else admit that you made this up
out of whole cloth.

bob

Learn to simplify your finances and your life in Streamline Your Life from
MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0405streamline.armx