Dan Simon Dan Simon is offline
Junior Member

Default transferring ADAT 16 channels thru light pipe to ProTools 9 /M-AUDIO 2626 profire

I have been trying to transfer my adat tapes to protools. They are all 16 channel live projects (two adat tapes per session). It seems that no matter what I do I get clocking issues, it sounds very thin and crackly. Although I have done analog out testing a few channels at a time with perect results(it does not seem to be the tapes or the adat machines. My preference is to transfer in the digital domain, but if this does not work I will have to purchase one more M-Audio profire 2626 (I currently cannot afford),( The Profire has only 8 anolog inputs, linkable, one more would give me 16 analog inputs and I could transfer anolog thru 1/4 inch cables. However I would rather stay digital.
I first started out with two original black faced adats linked with the D-connector.
Both adat's connected seperately/individually via light pipe into the two light pipe input on the back of my M-Audio 2626 profire.
I have a MAC PRO computer with snow lepeord 10.6 os.
recently I purchased two silver faced adat's with the BRC remote and have tried last night with the same result ( must be clocking issue?)
I noticed on the back of the BRC is BNC connectors also the back of the profire has BRC ( is this for clocking?) would this be my salvation?
If there is anyone out there whom knows anything at all bout' this please help!

Dan Simon Dan Simon is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Simon View Post
[...]
PS in protools I have tried both making the m-audio the master clock , also I had the adats as the clocks with same results
Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 27/09/2011 20.18, Dan Simon ha scritto:
I noticed on the back of the BRC is BNC connectors also the back of the
profire has BRC ( is this for clocking?) would this be my salvation?

yes they are called "word clock". The purpuse is general syncing between
machines. Optical connections are one of theese scenarios.

alex
Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 27/09/2011 21.02, alex ha scritto:
Il 27/09/2011 20.18, Dan Simon ha scritto:
I noticed on the back of the BRC is BNC connectors also the back of the
profire has BRC ( is this for clocking?) would this be my salvation?

yes they are called "word clock". The purpuse is general syncing between
machines. Optical connections are one of theese scenarios.

alex

or you can try to sync via optical.
two didital machines connected together shoud share the word clock. one
machine will act as master and the other (one or more) will act a slave.

this is from your profire manual:

----
If you have connected a S/PDIF, ADAT, or Word Clock device to your
ProFire 2626 and would like to use that devices clock as the master
clock source, select ADAT A, ADAT B, Coax S/PDIF, or Word Clock
from this drop down menu. This will make ProFire 2626 lock to the
external devices clock.
---

or you can do the opposite:
set Word clock source to optical on the ADAT and to "internal" on the
Profire.

hope it helps

alex

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dan Simon wrote:
[...]

Read The Friendly Manual(s), starting about page 32.

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/ProFire%202626%20User%20Guide%20%28EN%29.pdf

and
http://www.audiorents.com/library/userManuals/1_Alesis_ADAT-XT20.pdf

You must configure for the correct sample rate ( which is what
it sounds like you haven't done ) and who is master/slave with
respect to clocking.

I say "sounds like" because I own an Alesis synth or two, and
they default to 48k, and it sounds thin and crackly when
I reset them to defaults and forget to reset them back to my
preferred 44.1k sampling rate.

SFAIK, the wordclock connector is not required, but I have
never used an *actual* ADAT, only stuff that is connected with
Lightpipe. Corrections to any misunderstanding concerning a real
Silverface (XT20?) encouraged.

--
Les Cargill

Dan Simon Dan Simon is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Cargill[_4_] View Post
Dan Simon wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for the help, I have tried making the profire the master clock and also tried the adat as the master. the adat's use a linking D connector cable for syncing , and the BRC remote is the master control unit also connected by a D cable to the adat's . somewhere I read that the original black faced adat machines (for which my recordings were recorded on had 44.1 khz sample) so I need to try 44.1 khz. I am aware of the settings in the profire and have tried quite a few setups. I will try to use the bnc connections next.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Perrett[_3_] James Perrett[_3_] is offline

The original black face ADAT's were 48kHz only (unless you used the vari-speed trick or possibly the BRC) so you'll probably need to set the sample rate to 48kHz.

I'd set the Profire sample clock to slave from the first ADAT and not worry about any additional word clock cables as the 9 pin sockets carry word clock between the machines and the optical connection has an embedded clock.

James.