Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default please help me not to fry my new tube preamp

Jack Jarmush wrote:

Thanks Mike, i tried powering the preamp with the 9v battery but it
didn't work, didn't fry neither. I'm now looking at inverters.. the
preamp output is 9vAC 1.3 amps, do you have any thoughts on inverters
or should i just buy a battery powered preamp ?

There is stuff for what you want to do as explained by others later in the
thread. Inverters do not supply sinewave, at best triangular at worst
squarewave, some stuff runs better on "not sinewave AC" than other stuff.
Also it is perhaps not all that good an idea to use a 230 volts rig outdoors
in moist or wet weather.

I like the idea of using an inverter and a car or motorcycle battery
to power my gear for street playing, also because, for example the AER
battery powered amp is 400euros more that the non battery powered so
if i could use a 12v battery and inverter to power it and other gear i
may consider getting one of those great amps.

The south american (indian) street musicians in Copenhagen use a small Honda
generator, but they ARE a group. For you the logistics seem to be against
it.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Frank Stearns wrote:

Mike Rivers writes:

On 9/23/2011 8:06 AM, Jack Jarmush wrote:

I like the idea of using an inverter and a car or motorcycle battery
to power my gear for street playing

Oh, my, what has this world come to? What ever happened to
playing acoustic instruments and singing loud enough to draw
a small but interested crowd? g

Amen! And revealing to people something totally novel and new: music,
one human to another, with no "translation," no "pane of glass"
between the parties, and no mindless re-interpretation by electronics
and transducers.

Other youtube videos have this guy - Owen Campbell - singing in the streets
sans amplification:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVBebZpPcAQ

These are fine and necessarily things in many situations (hell, it's
what most of us manipulate in one form or another), but if the
opportunity arises to *not* use them, try it. Performer and audience
might discover the nearly lost magic of live performance.

Projection is projection is projection, also when a PA gets added. And
without projection you can add as many kilowatts of amplifier power as you
want and never end up being loud, albeit hurting everybody's ears.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Larsen wrote:
Trevor wrote:

"Richard Webb"
wrote in message ...

Often I can understand why some of these
folks busk on the streets, often their act isn't that good,
especially if I notice amplification. OTherwise they'd have a gig
somewhere.

I mostly agree, but I once did sound at a CD launch for a group who
often make more money busking than they do at their concert gigs.
(they regularly do both)
A sad fact of live music venues it many cases. Busking to sell CD's
seems to be more profitable than just asking for donations I think.
And they can hand out flyers to promote their concerts as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVBebZpPcAQ

I heard someone playing in that style in the street in London on Friday.
*Far* too loud. I could hear him clearly over an area about 50 yards
across on a busy main road. Needless to say, he didn't get either a tip
or a CD sale.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message
Mike Rivers wrote:

There's a story floating around Washington that one time
when Joshua Bell was playing at the Kennedy Center, he took
his fiddle to a Metro station and played for an hour or so,
and nobody stopped to listen to him. Good act, wrong
location. I suspect that if he was amplified, it would have
only offended people.

See:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

I seem to recall a YouTube video of the event that supports the above
comments.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Jack Jarmush" wrote in message

My basic question is: "What benefit do you expect to obtain from this
change".

Thanks for the info. to answer your question - i expect to obtain the
ability to busk in loud cities like NYC and Paris where acoustic playing
is futile.

You've gotten quite a bit of good advice to obtain equipment that is
purpose-built, which I would like to echo.

Re-intepreting a cute story about turning a bicycle into a motorcycle..

I could use a CD player, receiver, and speakers from a home stereo and run
it off of an inverter connected to a 12 v battery for my portable music
player.

Or, I could get a Sansa Clip+ and a set of IEMs...

My refinement for this year's camping trip was a solar-powered battery
charger for keeping the Clip+ running.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:

Peter Larsen wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVBebZpPcAQ

I heard someone playing in that style in the street in London on
Friday. *Far* too loud. I could hear him clearly over an area about
50 yards across on a busy main road. Needless to say, he didn't get
either a tip or a CD sale.

Well, if his street rig - it is visible in some of the street captured
videos of him - is too loud for London then it surely suffices for any
conceivable purpose in Paris & we're then back on the track.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:
There is stuff for what you want to do as explained by others later in the
thread. Inverters do not supply sinewave, at best triangular at worst
squarewave, some stuff runs better on "not sinewave AC" than other stuff.
Also it is perhaps not all that good an idea to use a 230 volts rig outdoors
in moist or wet weather.

Sure, you can get sinwave inverters. The Tripplites give you around 5%
distortion which is no worse than typical mains power.

What you get in exchange for a good clean sine wave is a much heaver piece
of equipment, much lower efficiency, and higher cost up front.

But not all inverters out there are the crappy "modified sine wave" consumer
junk, even though the market has become flooded with those things in recent
years.

If you're doing field recording work the Tripplites are highly recommended.
For PA, I think maybe the efficiency might do you in.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

If you're doing field recording work the Tripplites are highly
recommended. For PA, I think maybe the efficiency might do you in.

Thanks!

--scott

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

Trevor writes:
Often I can understand why some of these
folks busk on the streets, often their act isn't that good,
especially if I notice amplification. OTherwise they'd have a gig
somewhere.

I mostly agree, but I once did sound at a CD launch for a group who
often make more money busking than they do at their concert gigs.
(they regularly do both)
A sad fact of live music venues it many cases. Busking to sell CD's
seems to be more profitable than just asking for donations I think.
And they can hand out flyers to promote their concerts as well.

That's one approach, but they're using that as another
promotional tool as well as their concerts.

The point Hank especially and I are trying to make to the op is that trying to cobble together an amplification system
with components not designed to the purpose is cumbersome,
and soon will bump him up against the law of dimishing
returns. HE could lose the junk behringer starved tube
preamp pedal, get something such as the ROland street cube
and serve himself just as well.

There's one reason I never did the street busker thing with
anything other than one acoustic guitar, and not with my
keyboards which are my major instrument. The whole thing's
just oto damned cumbersome, even if the keyboard will run
off 12 vdc power. TOo much gear to wrestle, not enough
return on the time and sweat invested.

But, as with PEter's example of the group in Denmark that
uses a generator, this is a group, and that might make it
more worth their while. For one person alone that's just
too much work.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Sep 25, 12:29*pm, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
If you're doing field recording work the Tripplites are highly
recommended. For PA, I think maybe the efficiency might do you in.

Thanks!

--scott

* Kind regards

* Peter Larsen

and if you want portable and battery operated, why TUBE?

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 9/25/2011 1:13 PM, Richard Webb wrote:

There's one reason I never did the street busker thing with
anything other than one acoustic guitar, and not with my
keyboards which are my major instrument. The whole thing's
just oto damned cumbersome

Yeah, sometimes you have to move quickly if you don't want
to go to jail.
But then, maybe Paris is different from DC. It sounds like
they've let all the cows out of the barn there and aren't
attempting to round them up.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mark wrote:

and if you want portable and battery operated, why TUBE?

Hey, I love portable battery operated tube stuff. I used to have a Collins
remote broadcast console that took a whole stack of 90V batteries for the B+.
Sounded great, batteries lasted for a couple years whether or not you were
using the thing...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Richard Webb" wrote in
message ...
The point Hank especially and I are trying to make to the op is
that trying to cobble together an amplification system
with components not designed to the purpose is cumbersome,
and soon will bump him up against the law of dimishing
returns. HE could lose the junk behringer starved tube
preamp pedal, get something such as the ROland street cube
and serve himself just as well.

Sure I got that, and since I agree, didn't need to debate that point.

There's one reason I never did the street busker thing with
anything other than one acoustic guitar, and not with my
keyboards which are my major instrument. The whole thing's
just oto damned cumbersome, even if the keyboard will run
off 12 vdc power. TOo much gear to wrestle, not enough
return on the time and sweat invested.

Agreed, and the chance that it might get stolen. Ever see the
Californication episode where one person steals money from the guitar case,
and she chases them, while someone else then makes off with the equipment. I
sure saw THAT coming!!

But, as with PEter's example of the group in Denmark that
uses a generator, this is a group, and that might make it
more worth their while. For one person alone that's just
too much work.

Right, but using a noisy genereator isn't the answer either IMO.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:

But, as with PEter's example of the group in Denmark that
uses a generator, this is a group, and that might make it
more worth their while. For one person alone that's just
too much work.

Right, but using a noisy genereator isn't the answer either IMO.

That small Honda is not a noise issue in a city tucked away behing the
ensemble. I do have an issue with them, and that is that their entire setup
sounds dull in spite of reasonable quality components - a (pair of) plastic
12" boxes on their side on the ground - and yes, you can hear them from
quite far away in the townhall square. I think it is the third year I have
seen/heard them. Not bad music, I would want to listen if it was guitar,
pan-flute and drums sans amplification.

Trevor

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Jack Jarmush" wrote in message

My basic question is: "What benefit do you expect to obtain from this
change".

Thanks for the info. to answer your question - i expect to obtain the
ability to busk in loud cities like NYC and Paris where acoustic playing
is futile.

You've gotten quite a bit of good advice to obtain equipment that is
purpose-built, which I would like to echo.

Re-intepreting a cute story about turning a bicycle into a motorcycle..

I could use a CD player, receiver, and speakers from a home stereo and run
it off of an inverter connected to a 12 v battery for my portable music
player.

Or, I could get a Sansa Clip+ and a set of IEMs...

My refinement for this year's camping trip was a solar-powered battery
charger for keeping the Clip+ running.

+1

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Sep 24, 10:34*pm, "Trevor" wrote:
"PStamler" wrote in message

One other possibility: you can get a National steel guitar, which is
loud enough to be heard in New York, and learn to sing real loud. Lots
of old blues guys did it.

Which of course is fine for blues, maybe not so much for other genres
though.

I use mine to play 17th & 18th century dance music. It works very
nicely; the tone is remarkably lute-like.

(You could also argue the bag pipes are loud enough without an amp,
but how much money you could busk with them is another matter :-)

If they're Irish pipes or Northumbrian smallpipes you could probably
do quite well. The guys who stroll through the streets in Italy around
Christmastime playing bagpipes do fine.

I'd argue
that many buskers do fine with an acoustic guitar and no amp by choosing a
more suitable location.

Maybe, but sometimes, you want to work where more people are, and
usually it's noisier.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/25/2011 5:41 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Hey, I love portable battery operated tube stuff. I used to have a Collins
remote broadcast console that took a whole stack of 90V batteries for the B+.
Sounded great, batteries lasted for a couple years whether or not you were
using the thing...

For the first few years that the National Folk Festival was
at Wolf Trap, there was no power out to the "Theater In The
Woods" stage which normally was the home for a puppet
theater during the regular season. We ran PA for an audience
of about 200 all day on a Shure M67 mixer feeding an Altec
solid state amplifier and a couple of EV Musicaster
speakers. It ran all day on two 12V car batteries, which
we'd take back to civilization and recharge them overnight.

Not something I'd like to take out to play on the street
without a Pargo to haul it, though. g

And, of course, this was playing for an audience that WANTED
to see the show, and there was no traffic noise or sirens to
overpower.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff