Posted to rec.audio.pro
joe h joe h is offline

Default SM57/SM58 mics... now unbalanced?

Hello,

I remember a few years ago a salesperson at Guitar Center opened up
either an SM57 or SM58. He showed me how only two of the three wires
were being used, and that the mic was in fact running as an unbalanced
mic. He also pointed out that they were now being made in Mexico
instead of the U.S.

Is that still true? I can't understand why they would turn the 57 and/
or 58 into unbalanced mics for no apparent reason.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 8/26/2011 10:18 PM, joe h wrote:
Hello,

I remember a few years ago a salesperson at Guitar Center opened up
either an SM57 or SM58. He showed me how only two of the three wires
were being used, and that the mic was in fact running as an unbalanced
mic. He also pointed out that they were now being made in Mexico
instead of the U.S.

Is that still true? I can't understand why they would turn the 57 and/
or 58 into unbalanced mics for no apparent reason.

No. The two wires were probably going to pins 2 and 3. The shield/ground (pin 1)
was probably a jumper to the mic case. That's the way the AKG mic I just opened
was wired.

If they were unbalanced, phantom power from a preamp input would zonk them.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
joe h joe h is offline

Thanks, that's interesting.

So maybe it's using (as you said) the casing as a ground rather than
pin 3. I didn't know that was possible.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

joe h wrote:
Hello,

I remember a few years ago a salesperson at Guitar Center opened up
either an SM57 or SM58. He showed me how only two of the three wires
were being used, and that the mic was in fact running as an unbalanced
mic. He also pointed out that they were now being made in Mexico
instead of the U.S.

Is that still true? I can't understand why they would turn the 57 and/
or 58 into unbalanced mics for no apparent reason.

A balanced connection only required two wires. We're used to +/- and
ground for a third wire.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

joe h wrote:

I remember a few years ago a salesperson at Guitar Center opened up
either an SM57 or SM58. He showed me how only two of the three wires
were being used, and that the mic was in fact running as an unbalanced
mic. He also pointed out that they were now being made in Mexico
instead of the U.S.

Is that still true? I can't understand why they would turn the 57 and/
or 58 into unbalanced mics for no apparent reason.

That has never been true.

The mike is balanced, both 2 and 3 are driven. 1 is tied to ground at
the connector, which is why only two pins are 'used.'

The mike _is_ made in Mexico, and Fletcher says the Mexican ones sound
different than the older US ones. I can't tell the difference myself.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 8/26/2011 10:52 PM, joe h wrote:

So maybe it's using (as you said) the casing as a ground rather than
pin 3. I didn't know that was possible.

The guy at Guitar Center didn't know what he was talking
about. There's a transformer that's connected to pins 2 and
3. Pin 1 is mechanically connected to the case and is used
for the shield connection.

Pin 1 has always been the shield and is only used as
"ground" when you have phantom power. You'll still get a
perfectly good signal from the mic without pin 1 connected,
but you may get more hum if it's being used in an
electrically noisy environment. Or maybe not if the input is
accurately differential.

Shure mics have been built in Mexico for a long time. I
haven't heard that this has changed.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
joe h joe h is offline

Thanks everyone.

The amount of genuine knowledge of audio circuits on this newsgroup is
amazing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

The guy at Guitar Center didn't know what he was talking
about.

Imagine that! ...

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

joe h wrote:

I remember a few years ago a salesperson at Guitar Center opened up
either an SM57 or SM58. He showed me how only two of the three wires
were being used, and that the mic was in fact running as an unbalanced
mic. He also pointed out that they were now being made in Mexico
instead of the U.S.

Is that still true? I can't understand why they would turn the 57 and/
or 58 into unbalanced mics for no apparent reason.

That has never been true.

The mike is balanced, both 2 and 3 are driven. 1 is tied to ground at
the connector, which is why only two pins are 'used.'

The mike _is_ made in Mexico, and Fletcher says the Mexican ones sound
different than the older US ones. I can't tell the difference myself.
--scott

They have a different accent.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/27/2011 3:35 PM, hank alrich wrote:

The mike _is_ made in Mexico, and Fletcher says the Mexican ones sound
different than the older US ones. I can't tell the difference myself.
--scott

They have a different accent.

My Spanish voice-over work is better when I'm using an SM-57
than a U87. I never learned how to speak German, but my high
school Spanish teacher was Señor Wilheim (from the home of
AKG mics)

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
malachi[_5_] malachi[_5_] is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 8/26/2011 10:52 PM, joe h wrote:

The guy at Guitar Center didn't know what he was talking about.

Say it ain't so. :{}

malachi

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Aug 27, 11:05*am, joe h wrote:
Thanks everyone.

The amount of genuine knowledge of audio circuits on this newsgroup is
amazing.

Yeah and the jokes are pretty good also.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

hank alrich wrote:

They have a different accent.

I thought it was a special batch made for Britney Speirs.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

They have a different accent.

I thought it was a special batch made for Britney Speirs.

"Accent", Geoff, not "accident".

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

hank alrich wrote:
geoff wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

They have a different accent.

I thought it was a special batch made for Britney Speirs.

"Accent", Geoff, not "accident".

I was referring to the 'unbalanced' , but yeah .... ;-)

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 22:18:16 -0400, joe h wrote
(in article
):

Hello,

I remember a few years ago a salesperson at Guitar Center opened up
either an SM57 or SM58. He showed me how only two of the three wires
were being used, and that the mic was in fact running as an unbalanced
mic. He also pointed out that they were now being made in Mexico
instead of the U.S.

Is that still true? I can't understand why they would turn the 57 and/
or 58 into unbalanced mics for no apparent reason.

which Guitar Center?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 27/08/2011 4.52, joe h ha scritto:
Thanks, that's interesting.

So maybe it's using (as you said) the casing as a ground rather than
pin 3. I didn't know that was possible.

pin 1 is connected to the case without wire! there's a small spring to
assure the electrical contact. pin 2 is positive and pin 3 is negative,
as usual. Being build in mexico doesn't mean they umbalanced the mic....

alex

Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 27/08/2011 21.35, hank alrich ha scritto:
Mike wrote:

The guy at Guitar Center didn't know what he was talking
about.

Imagine that! ...

:-)

SM58 with 600 Ohm termination Ty Ford Pro Audio 35 July 19th 11 04:09 AM
Broken Shure SM58 copy [email protected] Pro Audio 3 October 10th 06 03:34 PM
FS Shure SM58 Mark Hugh Pro Audio 0 November 23rd 04 06:18 AM
FS Shure SM58 Mark Hugh Pro Audio 0 November 23rd 04 06:18 AM
SM57 vs. SM58 Steve Pro Audio 61 December 22nd 03 01:32 PM