Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rob@radiorob.com is offline

Default Octave pedal to simulate walking bass

Hello Audio.pro peeps,
I'm not sure what to do and got such great advise from this group
before i'm hoping you can help me out with this one; I want to use a
guitar to simulate jazz walking bass while i loop it then play sax on
top, i don't want mixed guitar/bass octaves but just the bass octave,
i have a boss loop pedal and now need an octave pedal, do you think
the cheap Behringer Ultra Octaver UE300 for 19euros will do the job ?
I will be playing through a Roland AC33 amp.
thanks,
JJ
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On May 12, 4:57*pm, wrote:
Hello Audio.pro peeps,
*I'm not sure what to do and got such great advise from this group
before i'm hoping you can help me out with this one; I want to use a
guitar to simulate jazz walking bass while i loop it then play sax on
top, i don't want mixed guitar/bass octaves but just the bass octave,
i have a boss loop pedal and now need an octave pedal, do you think
the cheap Behringer Ultra Octaver UE300 for 19euros will do the job ?
I will be playing through a Roland AC33 amp.

You want this for live performance?

If it's for studio, I think you'd be better off with a bass sequencer
working with synth bass or samples. If it's live, same answer, but pre-
load the sequence into your loop pedal.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
PStamler wrote:
On May 12, 4:57=A0pm, wrote:
Hello Audio.pro peeps,
=A0I'm not sure what to do and got such great advise from this group
before i'm hoping you can help me out with this one; I want to use a
guitar to simulate jazz walking bass while i loop it then play sax on
top, i don't want mixed guitar/bass octaves but just the bass octave,
i have a boss loop pedal and now need an octave pedal, do you think
the cheap Behringer Ultra Octaver UE300 for 19euros will do the job ?
I will be playing through a Roland AC33 amp.

You want this for live performance?

If it's for studio, I think you'd be better off with a bass sequencer
working with synth bass or samples. If it's live, same answer, but pre-
load the sequence into your loop pedal.

Or, you could buy one of those Korean Fender basses at a pawnshop for not
much more than the cost of that pedal.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mr.Will Mr.Will is offline

Heya JJ

Not wanting to talk you out of anything - but alot of simulating a bass can
be to do with the feel and tone you put into it, rather than the octave you
play in.
Ive done alot of solo "band on a guitar" type of thing - running basslines
with the thumb, chordal parts with the fingers etc and maybe a melody too
(or just backing a singer this way).
Tuck Andress is a master of the style - Im sure his thing of doing walking
basslines while chordal stabbing and creating the illusion of two parts
happening is online, and its more to do with putting a different feel on the
bass part to the chordal part. In fact I'll find the link now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZDee_Jv3Ds

This may not be what you are looking for, but definitely is a good option at
times.
id suggest the "feel" of your parts is more important than the octave,

Mr.Will

wrote in message
Hello Audio.pro peeps,
I'm not sure what to do and got such great advise from this group
before i'm hoping you can help me out with this one; I want to use a
guitar to simulate jazz walking bass while i loop it then play sax on
top, i don't want mixed guitar/bass octaves but just the bass octave,
i have a boss loop pedal and now need an octave pedal, do you think
the cheap Behringer Ultra Octaver UE300 for 19euros will do the job ?
I will be playing through a Roland AC33 amp.
thanks,
JJ

Posted to rec.audio.pro
vdubreeze vdubreeze is offline

On May 15, 5:23*pm, "Mr.Will" wrote:
Heya JJ

Not wanting to talk you out of anything - but alot of simulating a bass can
be to do with the feel and tone you put into it, rather than the octave you
play in.

Having been there myself, I would add that one would be amazed at what
any electric guitar can do bass-role-wise by wailing the bass and
cutting the highs on the amp. You don't even need to drop the octave
once you've done that. I've walked the occasional bass on a strat on
clubdates doing that and it was better than any other more complicated
option I tried, like an octave pedal.

Problem with the cheap octave pedals (and I love my Boss Octave pedal)
is that they're not harmonizing the note down, they're giving you a
low tone an octave or two down. Lot's of fun but nothing like a
walked bass at all. I can't imagine that the $20 Behringer is more
than a synthesized organy tone an octave down.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

wrote:

Hello Audio.pro peeps,
I'm not sure what to do and got such great advise from this group
before i'm hoping you can help me out with this one; I want to use a
guitar to simulate jazz walking bass while i loop it then play sax on
top, i don't want mixed guitar/bass octaves but just the bass octave,
i have a boss loop pedal and now need an octave pedal, do you think
the cheap Behringer Ultra Octaver UE300 for 19euros will do the job ?
I will be playing through a Roland AC33 amp.
thanks,
JJ

Did you try the Behringer?

I've used an octave drop setting on a TC G Mjor processor, but that's a
bit more costly. Worked surprisingly well.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri