Posted to rec.audio.pro
TM[_2_] TM[_2_] is offline

Default Live Sound Question

Hi - somewhat of a newbie question her. I have a 2 channel board
that is rated at 600w per channel @ 4ohms, and 300w at @ 8ohms

I am wondering which of the following would be perceived as being
louder (ie. more volume)

1) Hook up two 8 ohms cabs to the stereo outputs of my board. Each
cabinet would be feed from a separate internal amp getting 300w per
channel

2) Hook up the two speakers in series and connect to the mono output
of the board. I believe in that scenario each speaker would be
getting 600w? Is that correct?

Thanks,
Tom
Posted to rec.audio.pro

TM wrote:
Hi - somewhat of a newbie question her. I have a 2 channel board
that is rated at 600w per channel @ 4ohms, and 300w at @ 8ohms

I am wondering which of the following would be perceived as being
louder (ie. more volume)

1) Hook up two 8 ohms cabs to the stereo outputs of my board. Each
cabinet would be feed from a separate internal amp getting 300w per
channel

2) Hook up the two speakers in series and connect to the mono output
of the board. I believe in that scenario each speaker would be
getting 600w? Is that correct?

Thanks,
Tom

Probably not. When you say "mono", I hear "bridged mono". In
that case, you can double the voltage available, but not the
current. So a stereo amp that runs 600W @ 4 ohms can drive
an *8* ohm load @ 1200W, but not a *4* ohm load @ 1200.

4 ohms would still be about 600W, for 300 per speaker.

If you have Excel, you can calculate current as
=SQRT(WATTS/IMPEDANCE) and voltage as =(WATTS/CURRENT)
(you have to substitute the cell IDs for WATTS,
IMPEDANCE and CURRENT of course ).

Chances are good it's still current-constrained, and
bridging is more likely to cause overheating into
a 4 ohm load. If each half is rated at 2 ohms, then
you can have more confidence in the amp's ability to drive
4 ohms bridged mono.

Is there a value on the spec sheet for bridged mono
operation max power and min impedance?

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:

TM wrote:

Hi - somewhat of a newbie question her. I have a 2 channel board
that is rated at 600w per channel @ 4ohms, and 300w at @ 8ohms

Which board? - Automotive and pc speaker watts? - watts "musical power" or
watts RMS?

I am wondering which of the following would be perceived as being
louder (ie. more volume)

Same amplifier, same amount of energy, same conversion efficiency, same
loudness.

1) Hook up two 8 ohms cabs to the stereo outputs of my board. Each
cabinet would be feed from a separate internal amp getting 300w per
channel

2) Hook up the two speakers in series and connect to the mono output
of the board. I believe in that scenario each speaker would be
getting 600w? Is that correct?

Loudspeakers in series each get half the load assuming identical impedance.
Loudspeakers in parallel on a bridged output is "look closely at the user
manual" turf.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen