Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik[_3_] Ron Capik[_3_] is offline

Default Talk radio, ducking

Call in talk radio tends to use ducking to allow
the hosts to maintain control of (over the
top) callers.
I'm wondering what typical ducking parameters
might be for this application.

A friend of mine has been filling in as host
and I noticed that she doesn't use ducking
when she works from her home studio.

I'm wondering if I should point this out
to her, and if so what parameters might
apply.

Later...
Ron Capik
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 20:22:46 -0400, Ron Capik
wrote:

Call in talk radio tends to use ducking to allow
the hosts to maintain control of (over the
top) callers.
I'm wondering what typical ducking parameters
might be for this application.

A friend of mine has been filling in as host
and I noticed that she doesn't use ducking
when she works from her home studio.

I'm wondering if I should point this out
to her, and if so what parameters might
apply.

Later...
Ron Capik

Ducking is a bit of a blunt instrument, and really doesn't sound that
great. A finger on the fader is a much better way of doing it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

wrote:

Call in talk radio tends to use ducking to allow
the hosts to maintain control of (over the
top) callers.
I'm wondering what typical ducking parameters
might be for this application.

A friend of mine has been filling in as host
and I noticed that she doesn't use ducking
when she works from her home studio.

I'm wondering if I should point this out
to her, and if so what parameters might
apply.

Later...
Ron Capik

Ducking is a bit of a blunt instrument, and really doesn't sound that
great. A finger on the fader is a much better way of doing it.

Hard to predict when a caller-in is going to go "over the top". Why not
set up a sidechain trigger to take care of it, even if somewhat
heavy-handedly?

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Call in talk radio tends to use ducking to allow
the hosts to maintain control of (over the
top) callers.
I'm wondering what typical ducking parameters
might be for this application.

A friend of mine has been filling in as host
and I noticed that she doesn't use ducking
when she works from her home studio.

I'm wondering if I should point this out
to her, and if so what parameters might
apply.

Later...
Ron Capik

Ducking is a bit of a blunt instrument, and really doesn't sound that
great. A finger on the fader is a much better way of doing it.

Hard to predict when a caller-in is going to go "over the top". Why not
set up a sidechain trigger to take care of it, even if somewhat
heavy-handedly?

The station I frequently listen to seems to always have host triggered
ducking turned on.

I've never been a talk show producer or engineer, and hadn't thought
about it much until I heard my friend doing a show from home the other
night. At one point in the show I noticed that she didn't seem to be able
to drop the caller into the background so she could make a point.
I never noticed a problem when she's working at the station, and
as is often said; if you notice the sound you're doing it wrong.

I don't know, maybe it's her equipment setup or maybe it's the lack
of a producer/engineer. I don't know anything about her home setup,
but I'll be talking with her later in the week.

I figured I'd it can't hurt to float the question here.

Later...
Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Sat 2011-Sep-03 12:55, hank alrich writes:
Ducking is a bit of a blunt instrument, and really doesn't sound that
great. A finger on the fader is a much better way of doing it.

Hard to predict when a caller-in is going to go "over the top". Why
not set up a sidechain trigger to take care of it, even if somewhat
heavy-handedly?

I'm with Hank here. Use your ears and set it so that it
only clamps down on the worst offenders. Still there's
nothing like an active hand on the fader managing things for best overall results. I wonder if Ron's friend might be
just letting it ride and concentrating more on the art of
conversation than the art of generating good audio. That's
why good production often requires a hand on the board in
addition to talent.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat 2011-Sep-03 16:37, Don Pearce writes:
nothing like an active hand on the fader managing things for best overall
results. I wonder if Ron's friend might be
just letting it ride and concentrating more on the art of
conversation than the art of generating good audio. That's
why good production often requires a hand on the board in
addition to talent.

I'm not sure that the requirement here is to mute people who are too
loud (and that isn't what ducking will do anyway), but to turn down
the caller while the host makes a point. A simple -10dB button will
do that quite nicely. But it needs to be under manual control - any
attempt at automation results in volume pumping -not good.

I was wondering about that myself. LImiting maybe, but
ducking, if you're right that's what's needed. Either way
someone actually with hands on the production other than set levels and let 'er fly.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 9/3/2011 4:37 PM, Don Pearce wrote:

I'm not sure that the requirement here is to mute people who are too
loud (and that isn't what ducking will do anyway), but to turn down
the caller while the host makes a point.

This sort of "ducking" is to allow the host to interrupt a
caller, plain and simple. In a fast moving talk show, you
sometimes have to do that. It's not a matter that the caller
is talking too energetically or using language you can't use
on the radio, it's mostly that the caller is getting off
track or just taking up too much time.

Butting in on what the caller is saying is more polite than
the host just turning him down.

I hardly ever listen to talk radio.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 07:02:14 -0400, Mike Rivers
wrote:

On 9/3/2011 4:37 PM, Don Pearce wrote:

I'm not sure that the requirement here is to mute people who are too
loud (and that isn't what ducking will do anyway), but to turn down
the caller while the host makes a point.

This sort of "ducking" is to allow the host to interrupt a
caller, plain and simple. In a fast moving talk show, you
sometimes have to do that. It's not a matter that the caller
is talking too energetically or using language you can't use
on the radio, it's mostly that the caller is getting off
track or just taking up too much time.

Butting in on what the caller is saying is more polite than
the host just turning him down.

I don't think it would be used to cut the caller off mid-flow, just to
make sure the host has clear air to talk through without further
interruption until he is done - or he considers the item done and
finally cuts the caller off.

I hardly ever listen to talk radio.

Does anybody, really?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/4/2011 7:06 AM, Don Pearce wrote:

I hardly ever listen to talk radio.

Does anybody, really?

Talk radio seems to be extremely popular over here in The
Colonies. There's not much music on regular broadcast radio
any more, and more and more of the community and public
radio stations are adding more talk shows, either local or
syndicated.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/4/2011 7:06 AM, Don Pearce wrote:

I hardly ever listen to talk radio.

Does anybody, really?

Talk radio seems to be extremely popular over here in The Colonies.
There's not much music on regular broadcast radio any more, and more and
more of the community and public radio stations are adding more talk
shows, either local or syndicated.

Talk is cheap.

Where I live in the UK, I could probably run half a dozen talk stations
for the cost of one music station, unless I only used music not licenced
by MCPS.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Mike Rivers writes:

On 9/3/2011 4:37 PM, Don Pearce wrote:

snips

I hardly ever listen to talk radio.

It *can* be an interesting balance -- if you filter or ignore appropriately what any
host might say. I get of kick out of hearing longer excerpts from our leaders.

For example, hearing the current US president without a teleprompter can raise one's
eyebrow. One of the several more famous gaffs when the prompter wasn't running:
"I've been to 57 states with one to go" and "corpsmen" pronounced "corpse-men".

Insignificant? Perhaps. But recall of the reactions when the previous president said
such things.

The talk radio format allows more time for longer plays of this and many other
things than does the typical broadcast media format. (And here's an instance where
hearing rather than reading has more impact.)

I don't mean to start an off-topic political storm; the format and its
technology is interesting. (I'd be curious to know, for example, more about the DSP
or other processing that makes the average phone sound as good as it does on the
air. Anything special? Or just hightly refined gating, eq, and compression?

Frank
MObile Audio

PS: check out radio host John Batchelor. Yes, there are political aspects that might
irk some here, but perhaps just "irk" rather than "enrage". The segments on science
and technology are fascinating -- and this host asks some very useful questions.
Great book reviews too.

Batchelor seems to have returned a certain level of civility and intelligence to the
format. (And instead of the tired old rock bumper music that EVERYBODY uses, this
show uses well-chosen classical music and film scores, along with the occasional
seasoning of jazz or thoughtful indy music. My jaw hit the floor when I heard a
Ralph Vaughan Williams piece used. Cemented my resolve to go out of my way to find
this show and forget the others, though they're still handy in the background when
soldering cables or cleaning the kitchen. w)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
timewarp2008 timewarp2008 is offline

On Sep 4, 10:49*am, Frank Stearns
wrote:
Mike Rivers writes:
On 9/3/2011 4:37 PM, Don Pearce wrote:

snips

I hardly ever listen to talk radio.

It *can* be an interesting balance -- if you filter or ignore appropriately what any
host might say. I get of kick out of hearing longer excerpts ...

snip utterly transparent reflexive subject-changing

Normally, random insertion of politics is not part of this forum, but
since you brought up the same old same old oft-repeated talking points
(rhetoric that's clearly, obviously, a standard litany, not any
personal observation of your own) ...

Everyone who speaks in public makes gaffes, and this very short list
of very short gaffes (one of them merely a mispronunciation) by the
current occupant, pales in comparison with the previous occupant's
long list of large and lengthy blunders. Critics of the current
occupant lean heavily on this short list, while critics of the
previous occupant can select frpm gaffes that would (and do) fill
entire volumes. Items from this short list of pre-programmed talking
points are routinely used to change the subject, from any subject at
all, no matter how unrelated, to partisan pet political peeves (as
obviously happened in the post to which I'm responding).

As is to be expected, each gaffer is criticised mostly by those who
disagree with him. But any impartial inspection of the record shows
one gaffer a champion of the gaffe, while the other speaks more
thoughtfully. (The previous occupant has openly admitted that he
doesn't speak well). Any pretense otherwise is so rhetortically so
weak, even bankrupt, that its only hope of traction is incessant
repetition. It's the kind of thing that should suffer ducking by any
rational impartial talk show host, but talk-show ducking, at least in
the US, is practiced more in the service of extremism than reason or
impartiality. If newsgroup ducking were possible, it could be used to
keep the NG on-topic.

In general, this newsgroup does not suffer from random introduction of
entirely predictable subject derailments using pre-programmed
political rhetoric. That's clearly what happened in the post that I'm
responding to. Starting with the existing subject, then shifting to
some phony interest in hearing longer excerpts from our leaders (a red-
herring), and then to the blatant subject change. Some folks on the
internet just have an uncontrollable reflexive urge to twist any
conversation at all into merely hammering over and over and over an
over again on political talking points that, without the hammer, are
thoroughly insignificant.

Incessant Behringer-bashing, mystical misunderstanding of digital
audio, and dicussions of elementary issues of wiring are tiresome, but
at least they're related to audio.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 9/3/2011 4:37 PM, Don Pearce wrote:

I'm not sure that the requirement here is to mute people who are too
loud (and that isn't what ducking will do anyway), but to turn down
the caller while the host makes a point.

This sort of "ducking" is to allow the host to interrupt a caller, plain
and simple. In a fast moving talk show, you sometimes have to do that.
It's not a matter that the caller is talking too energetically or using
language you can't use on the radio, it's mostly that the caller is
getting off track or just taking up too much time.

Butting in on what the caller is saying is more polite than the host just
turning him down.

I hardly ever listen to talk radio.

I listen to a fair bit of it simply because I'm trying to catch the traffic
reports during my daily drive. Manners or audio quality don't seem to be
concerns, and yes I do hear cases where the caller is being ducked to a
degree while the host is talking. I also hear where the host cuts off the
caller and then the channel is muted. while the next caller is pulled up.
Using a ducker to help the host manage the show is exactly the tool if it's
a one woman show working from a home studio.

On the other hand, I don't think you can just say 'use these settings' to
someone with no experience with a compressor. You need to try it out and
listen to get it right.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Sun 2011-Sep-04 10:49, Frank Stearns writes:
snip

its technology is interesting. (I'd be curious to know, for
example, more about the DSP
or other processing that makes the average phone sound as good as it
does on the air. Anything special? Or just hightly refined gating,
eq, and compression?

A bit of that, but I think a lot of it has to do with how
good your hybrid interfacing the phone system to the air
chain is.

Back in the '80's the locally produced talk radio stuff on
WHO in Des MOines sounded very good overall, partly because
the interface was a good one, and they had a damned good
board op.

A fellow who had a weekend show there went to another
station, and he sounded fairly good on that other station.
YEt a friend of mine did some prerecorded bits on his
graveyard shift show on the later station, and although we
played with settings we never got the phone side sounding
quite as good as phoners sounded directly from the on air
control room.

We always intended to slip into the control room when he was on air and swap 'em out grin.

I still maintain that the reason that many of these shows
can sound as good as they do is the simple fact that there's often a board op as well as talent.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Sep 4, 8:01*pm,
(Richard Webb) wrote:
On Sun 2011-Sep-04 13:04, Sean Conolly writes:

I listen to a fair bit of it simply because I'm trying to catch the
traffic *reports during my daily drive. Manners or audio quality
don't seem to be *concerns, and yes I do hear cases where the caller
is being ducked to a *degree while the host is talking. I also hear
where the host cuts off the *caller and then the channel is muted.
while the next caller is pulled up. *Using a ducker to help the host
manage the show is exactly the tool if it's *a one woman show
working from a home studio.

About the only tool you've got. *OTherwise it's a carefully
koreographed dance, the producer, talent and the board op.
When you've got all these folks working together it's
seamless enough you don't notice it.

On the other hand, I don't think you can just say 'use these
settings' to *someone with no experience with a compressor. You need
to try it out and *listen to get it right.

I don't either. *OFten you might require a bit of tweaking
to the settings on your processing to fit individual callers and phone circuits, etc. *That is, if you're doing the job.

Regards,
* * * * * *Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site

OP you want to look for a digital (DSP) based hybrid like the Gentner
or Comrex

http://www.audiotheater.com/phone/phone.html

works like a Polycom speakerphone

that is probably what is causing the "ducking" that you hear..
Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik[_3_] Ron Capik[_3_] is offline

On 9/4/2011 6:21 PM, Mark wrote:
On Sep 4, 8:01 pm,
(Richard Webb) wrote:
On Sun 2011-Sep-04 13:04, Sean Conolly writes:

I listen to a fair bit of it simply because I'm trying to catch the
traffic reports during my daily drive. Manners or audio quality
don't seem to be concerns, and yes I do hear cases where the caller
is being ducked to a degree while the host is talking. I also hear
where the host cuts off the caller and then the channel is muted.
while the next caller is pulled up. Using a ducker to help the host
manage the show is exactly the tool if it's a one woman show
working from a home studio.

About the only tool you've got. OTherwise it's a carefully
koreographed dance, the producer, talent and the board op.
When you've got all these folks working together it's
seamless enough you don't notice it.

On the other hand, I don't think you can just say 'use these
settings' to someone with no experience with a compressor. You need
to try it out and listen to get it right.

I don't either. OFten you might require a bit of tweaking
to the settings on your processing to fit individual callers and phone circuits, etc. That is, if you're doing the job.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site

OP you want to look for a digital (DSP) based hybrid like the Gentner
or Comrex

http://www.audiotheater.com/phone/phone.html

works like a Polycom speakerphone

that is probably what is causing the "ducking" that you hear..
Mark

Thanks.
Actually what I noted was the lack of ducking when she
works from her home setup. I don't have a clue what her
home setup is yet, but she told me about some other
problems she's been having there and we'll be talking
in the near future.

Anyway that caused me to pay a bit more attention to
that broadcast and thus I noticed a lack of ducking that
I'd never noticed before.

Maybe I'll be able to add more details on her setup and
"work flow" later.

Later...
Ron C
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Sun 2011-Sep-04 13:04, Sean Conolly writes:
I listen to a fair bit of it simply because I'm trying to catch the
traffic reports during my daily drive. Manners or audio quality
don't seem to be concerns, and yes I do hear cases where the caller
is being ducked to a degree while the host is talking. I also hear
where the host cuts off the caller and then the channel is muted.
while the next caller is pulled up. Using a ducker to help the host
manage the show is exactly the tool if it's a one woman show
working from a home studio.

About the only tool you've got. OTherwise it's a carefully
koreographed dance, the producer, talent and the board op.
When you've got all these folks working together it's
seamless enough you don't notice it.

On the other hand, I don't think you can just say 'use these
settings' to someone with no experience with a compressor. You need
to try it out and listen to get it right.

I don't either. OFten you might require a bit of tweaking
to the settings on your processing to fit individual callers and phone circuits, etc. That is, if you're doing the job.

Regards,
Richard
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Frank Stearns" wrote in message
acquisition...
SNIP
I don't mean to start an off-topic political storm; the format and its
technology is interesting. (I'd be curious to know, for example, more
about the DSP
or other processing that makes the average phone sound as good as it does
on the
air. Anything special? Or just hightly refined gating, eq, and
compression?

Frank
MObile Audio

I produced a monthly corporate program for 13 years that included a lot of
over the telephone content. I was continuously amazed by how good the audio
quality was on many lines. Over the course of the program the quality
improved. Most of the time I did very little processing, rarely compression
or limiting, moderate EQ sometimes, once in a while severe EQ. I used basic
equipment, an analogue telephone patch and a mix minus set up on a small
mixing board. I did what little processing was needed in Audition.
Recorded both sides of many telephone conversations plus frequent threeways
with lines conferenced through a fee service. When I listened to the
program off a CD in a car, where my clients were going to listen, the audio
quality of the telephone recorded material held its own with direct studio
microphone and field mic recordings. Sure, I wouldn't record music over the
phone, but today's digital lines seem to have surprising frequency response
and far less brick wall limiting than in the old POTS days. The last couple
of years the actual telephone instrument at the originating end was often
the weak link. I've done a few Skype recordings recently. That can be very
good, but I've also had 'drop outs', digital braaps, at least once in each
session.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ron Capik wrote:
Call in talk radio tends to use ducking to allow
the hosts to maintain control of (over the
top) callers.
I'm wondering what typical ducking parameters
might be for this application.

You want something as fast as possible with fast recovery too.

A friend of mine has been filling in as host
and I noticed that she doesn't use ducking
when she works from her home studio.

I'm wondering if I should point this out
to her, and if so what parameters might
apply.

Try an RNC. I can't really give you numbers because they are going to
be different for every compressor since the slope of the control curve
will differ. But the RNC does a great job for ducking music beds and
should work for ducking annoying callers as well.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ron Capik wrote:

The station I frequently listen to seems to always have host triggered
ducking turned on.

Everybody does it. I find it really annoying.

I've never been a talk show producer or engineer, and hadn't thought
about it much until I heard my friend doing a show from home the other
night. At one point in the show I noticed that she didn't seem to be able
to drop the caller into the background so she could make a point.
I never noticed a problem when she's working at the station, and
as is often said; if you notice the sound you're doing it wrong.

She needs to learn how to use the fader, then. She's in control of the
show, not a compressor. She needs to have it automatic in her fingers
to exercise that control.

I figured I'd it can't hurt to float the question here.

I don't like aggressive ducking, but people do it. Listen to the Tom Joyner
Morning Show for some of the most annoying and egregious ducking abuse.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Frank Stearns wrote:

Ah ha! That's the piece I'm missing and remember hearing about, but have never dealt
with one. Are these typically custom or are there off-the-shelf units? Which company
makes the better ones?

These days there are a lot of good ones, and many of them are actually
integrated with a multiline telephone system so that the board op can juggle
a dozen incoming calls at once.

The Comrex and Telos hybrids seem to have most of the market.
I have an ancient Gentner, and to be honest the new ones aren't any better,
really, although they are a lot more convenient.

The real problem is that most folks today aren't calling in from good
telephones in the first place, but from cellphones using aggressive
compression over RF links with data loss...

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/6/2011 9:35 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Ron wrote:
Call in talk radio tends to use ducking to allow
the hosts to maintain control of (over the
top) callers.
I'm wondering what typical ducking parameters
might be for this application.

You want something as fast as possible with fast recovery too.

A friend of mine has been filling in as host
and I noticed that she doesn't use ducking
when she works from her home studio.

I'm wondering if I should point this out
to her, and if so what parameters might
apply.

Try an RNC. I can't really give you numbers because they are going to
be different for every compressor since the slope of the control curve
will differ. But the RNC does a great job for ducking music beds and
should work for ducking annoying callers as well.
--scott

The RNC doesn't have a side chain. Would you send caller
left, host right, then use the left out as the ducked (or duckable)
caller output?

Later...
Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ron Capik wrote:

The RNC doesn't have a side chain. Would you send caller
left, host right, then use the left out as the ducked (or duckable)
caller output?

No, it's got a sidechain! That's part of why I like it so much, you can
stick an EQ in there.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/6/2011 11:28 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Ron wrote:

The RNC doesn't have a side chain. Would you send caller
left, host right, then use the left out as the ducked (or duckable)
caller output?

No, it's got a sidechain! That's part of why I like it so much, you can
stick an EQ in there.
--scott

Oops! All these years I've been using them and never noticed
that sidechain jack. Maybe says something about how little
I use sidechains. Sorry about that.

Later...
Ron Capik
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ron wrote:

The RNC doesn't have a side chain. Would you send caller
left, host right, then use the left out as the ducked (or duckable)
caller output?

No, it's got a sidechain! That's part of why I like it so much, you can
stick an EQ in there.

Oops! All these years I've been using them and never noticed
that sidechain jack. Maybe says something about how little
I use sidechains. Sorry about that.

Get a crappy consumer-grade third-octave EQ, put it in the sidechain! It
is very, very cool.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ron Capik wrote:

The RNC doesn't have a side chain.

Yeah, it does. That's one of the unexpectedly cool things about it.

http://fmraudio.com/rnc.htm

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 20:22:46 -0400, Ron Capik wrote
(in article ):

Call in talk radio tends to use ducking to allow
the hosts to maintain control of (over the
top) callers.
I'm wondering what typical ducking parameters
might be for this application.

A friend of mine has been filling in as host
and I noticed that she doesn't use ducking
when she works from her home studio.

I'm wondering if I should point this out
to her, and if so what parameters might
apply.

Later...
Ron Capik
--

I think the Shure FP410 has that built in. It's called, um, something like
"Chairman Mode" as in the chairman's mic always overrides everyone else's.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Tue 2011-Sep-06 09:38, Scott Dorsey writes:
snip
night. At one point in the show I noticed that she didn't seem to be able
to drop the caller into the background so she could make a point.
I never noticed a problem when she's working at the station, and
as is often said; if you notice the sound you're doing it wrong.

She needs to learn how to use the fader, then. She's in control of
the show, not a compressor. She needs to have it automatic in her
fingers to exercise that control.

Kinda been getting at that one myself. IT's why you have
controls, unless she's trying to mouse between audio
controls and other things on a screen that is. Would agree
with Scott's suggestion of an rnc though. Still that's why
there are faders, and why still today good sounding
nationally syndicated talk radio stuff uses a board op to go along with producer and talent. I've seen folks who could
do it well, the guy I referenced earlier this thread who
moved from the blowtorch talk radio voice of Des MOines, Ia. was his own board op/producer at the station he moved to,
and still did a nice seamless sounding show as his own board op. There are in fact advantages if you learn to use the
faders a bit. Pot down that caller, cut to a break with own voice, bring in the bumper music, it's doable but you've got to pay attention, and be listening to the air chain as well.

I figured I'd it can't hurt to float the question here.

I don't like aggressive ducking, but people do it. Listen to the
Tom Joyner Morning Show for some of the most annoying and egregious
ducking abuse.

NEver heard it, but now I know not to listen. IT's usable,
and even useful at times. Have her try the rnc, but even
more important set her up to get to the control she needs,
and then help her learn to use it.

Regards,
Richard