Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Mayerovitch

Default Extending wire for surround speakers

I have bought a Panasonic home theater sound system, model SC-HT730. Each of
the two surround speakers is provided with 25 feet (8 meters) of AWG 22
wire, secured at each end by spring terminals. My room layout, however,
requires that I run the wire around the walls and I will need about 50 feet
(16 meters) for each speaker.

Can I simply buy some extra AWG 22 wire and splice it to the lengths I
already have? Or, in order to minimize signal loss, should I instead replace
each 25-foot length with 50 feet of a thicker wire? If so, what gauge would
be adequate?

This is not an audiophile system, and I assume (as a non-expert) that the
requirements for surround speakers are less critical than those for the
front speakers. I simply want to get performance that is comparable with
that of the system as shipped. Specs for the surround speakers: 4 ohms, 70W
max input power (IEC).

I'd welcome any recommendations. Thanks.

David

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tomi Holger Engdahl

"David Mayerovitch" writes:

I have bought a Panasonic home theater sound system, model SC-HT730. Each of
the two surround speakers is provided with 25 feet (8 meters) of AWG 22
wire, secured at each end by spring terminals. My room layout, however,
requires that I run the wire around the walls and I will need about 50 feet
(16 meters) for each speaker.

Can I simply buy some extra AWG 22 wire and splice it to the lengths I
already have?

I woudl say that this woudl work most peropably in a degree that is
very acceptable to you when you are not looking for any high-end
audiophile system.

Or, in order to minimize signal loss, should I instead replace
each 25-foot length with 50 feet of a thicker wire? If so, what gauge would
be adequate?

You can do that. If you pick up 18 AWG or thivker wire, you should
do not have any problem. 50 feet of 18 AWG has even less resistance than
your orignal 25 feet of of 22 AWG cable.

This is not an audiophile system, and I assume (as a non-expert) that the
requirements for surround speakers are less critical than those for the
front speakers.

Usually this is the case.
This was true especially on older Dolby Surround / Pro-Logic surround systems
where the surround speakers had limited sound quality / frequecny range
in the beginning.

With the introduction of 5.1 systems, this is not exacty the case
anymore. In 5.1 channel surrouns system, all 5 speakers should have
the same performance at least in ideal case.
Anyway in real-life audio programs you play, the main part of the
sounds anyway come from the front, so if the surround speakers
are a little bit worse than the main speakers, it should have
less problems than if the problem were in the front speakers.

I simply want to get performance that is comparable with
that of the system as shipped. Specs for the surround speakers: 4 ohms, 70W
max input power (IEC).
I'd welcome any recommendations. Thanks.

If you go for 18 AWG or thicker wire, there should not be any
performance loss compared to original speaker cables.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:41:35 -0500, "David Mayerovitch" wrote:

I have bought a Panasonic home theater sound system, model SC-HT730. Each of
the two surround speakers is provided with 25 feet (8 meters) of AWG 22
wire, secured at each end by spring terminals. My room layout, however,
requires that I run the wire around the walls and I will need about 50 feet
(16 meters) for each speaker.

Can I simply buy some extra AWG 22 wire and splice it to the lengths I
already have?

Yes.

Yes, that will work, but it's only a little more expensive (and less
effort) to buy 100' or 18 or 16 gauge wire and do it right. You don't
need fancy or even low gauge wire for surrounds, but 22 AWG with a
splice in the middle is pushing it, especially if you don't have
experience splicing wire.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.tech
whosbest54

wrote:

I have bought a Panasonic home theater sound system, model SC-HT730. Each of
the two surround speakers is provided with 25 feet (8 meters) of AWG 22
wire, secured at each end by spring terminals. My room layout, however,
requires that I run the wire around the walls and I will need about 50 feet
(16 meters) for each speaker.

Can I simply buy some extra AWG 22 wire and splice it to the lengths I
already have?

You could do this - even wire nuts would work, but I wouldn't bother. Just get
2 new lengths.

Or, in order to minimize signal loss, should I instead replace
each 25-foot length with 50 feet of a thicker wire? If so, what gauge would
be adequate?

Get 2 50 ft lengths of 16 gauge or better speaker or electrical cord.

whosbest54

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/

http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Mayerovitch

Thanks to all the responders for their help. I'll replace the existing wire
with lengths of 16 gauge.

David

.. .