grking01

Default Speaker Recommendations

Hello,
I just got a 1988 Grand Marquis and I don't trust asking advice from my
local car audio place. I have a Pioneer P3600 head unit install and
Pioneer XM Radio as well. I was wondering what kind of speakers to
install in the rear and doors. I have all factory speakers in it. I
am looking more clarity than loudness and planning to install
subwoofers probably later in the year. What do you recommend and what
other parts do i need. thank you in advice ~greg

--
grking01
grking01's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33274

grking01 wrote:
Hello,
I just got a 1988 Grand Marquis and I don't trust asking advice from

my
local car audio place. I have a Pioneer P3600 head unit install and
Pioneer XM Radio as well. I was wondering what kind of speakers to
install in the rear and doors. I have all factory speakers in it. I
am looking more clarity than loudness and planning to install
subwoofers probably later in the year. What do you recommend and

what
other parts do i need. thank you in advice ~greg

--
grking01

The advice does not come hard way. Only choice you need is buy speaker
as
cost as possible. Don't buy cheap brand. Go pay $$$$$ to get the best
speaker
in the market. Me??? Well I don't need it.

grking01's Profile:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33274
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=212171

MZ

The advice does not come hard way. Only choice you need is buy speaker
as
cost as possible. Don't buy cheap brand. Go pay $$$$$ to get the best
speaker
in the market. Me??? Well I don't need it.

You're dumb as a rock. Go away.

MZ wrote:
The advice does not come hard way. Only choice you need is buy

speaker
as
cost as possible. Don't buy cheap brand. Go pay $$$$$ to get the

best
speaker
in the market. Me??? Well I don't need it.

You're dumb as a rock. Go away.

Go to best buy, good guys, or any local shop and have a listen to many
different speakers. Check crutchfield.com to see what size fits your
car.

Me, I like speakers with silk or cloth dome tweeters. They are less
fatiguing(most of them anyway) than metal domes in my expirience.
Boston Acoustic and JL make some nice speakers.

MOSFET

Me, I like speakers with silk or cloth dome tweeters. They are less
fatiguing(most of them anyway) than metal domes in my expirience.
Boston Acoustic and JL make some nice speakers.

But JL uses metal domes. In fact, as I recall, they used to use soft
materials (silk, I believe) and switched to metal (aluminum I think) about 5
years ago. So, apparently, JL thinks metal is better. Oh no, I see the
beginning of a huge thread war here, but oh well, here goes....

Ten years ago I used to use BA Pro series and, yes, I learned to HATE the
sound of my tweeters (titanium). I use MB Quart PSD 216's now and I think
the tweeters sound better than just about anything I have ever heard, IMHO.
Companies like JL and MB Quart recognized the advantages of metal domes
(heat dissapation, for instance), and have made many refinements in the last
few years to correct for the harshness that have traditionally plagued metal
domes (in the case of my tweeters, Quart uses a new composite surround that
is said to help "soften" the sound). Now, I am no engineer so I can't tell
you if this new surround is the reason why they sound so good, but I do know
that they sound worlds apart from my old BA titanium tweeters. So my
question to you, Ephedra, have you listened to a good set of metal dome
tweeters lately?

MOSFET

Steve

I think if you check you will find that JL audio top line of speakers uses
soft dome tweeters, as does every other high end speaker (Dynaudio, CDT,
Focal, ...) Does that say something regarding sound quality of the
different materials used in tweeters?
'nuff said.

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

MOSFET

I think if you check you will find that JL audio top line of speakers uses
soft dome tweeters, as does every other high end speaker (Dynaudio, CDT,
Focal, ...)

Uh, yes, I did check. I was right, they are aluminum (like the $140 XR100CT
1" tweeter).

Like my MB Quart tweeters, they also use a sophisticated rubber surround
that lowers the resonating frequency and helps eliminate that tinny, ringing
sound that used to plague metal dome tweeters.

So, as JL Audio as well as MB Quart use metal dome tweeters, I disagree with
your assertion that all high-end brands use soft dome tweeters. If you have
not listened to these modern tweeters, you may be very surprised by how good
metal tweeters can sound. Trust me, I used to always feel that metal
tweeters sounded too "harsh".

Again, there are certain advantages to metal domes, but as I am no engineer,
I will not clumsily try to list them.

MOSFET