Jeff

Default shotgun & array microphones for speech recognition

Has anyone here experimented with professional shotgun microphones for
speech recognition? I'm considering buying this microphone:
Audio-Technica AT835B Short Shotgun Condenser Microphone
(http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--23740/)

I believe I can achieve far better results with this mic in a noisy
room. I actually plan to use this mic for my home jukebox system (and
later in a car system.) The current mics I'm using do work pretty
well though. In a car the crown pzm-10 and pzm-11 mic's work pretty
well even while on the freeway with a moderate amount of road noise.
With the crown mic's I can control my jukebox from 20 feet away with
high accuracy in a quiet room. My headset microphone (parrot talkpro)
works even better with lots of road noise and the stereo turned up.

I'm also considering buying this microphone - Acoustic Magic
(http://www.acousticmagic.com/products/)

Does anyone know which mic might be better in a noisy environment,
e.g. human speech, tv, ect. The user's mouth will be from 1-2 feet
away from the microphone.

Thanks,
Jeff
IntelligentJukebox (dot) com
Richard Crowley

"Jeff" wrote ...
Has anyone here experimented with professional shotgun microphones for
speech recognition? I'm considering buying this microphone:
Audio-Technica AT835B Short Shotgun Condenser Microphone
(http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--23740/)

How are you going to keep a shotgun mic aimed properly?

The guys over on news:rec.arts.movies.production.sound
have used and discussed most of the shotgun mics available
on the planet. I have the AT835 and it is OK, but the pros
don't like it. But for your purposes, since you don't care
about sound quality or low-level noise, it may work OK.

I believe I can achieve far better results with this mic in a noisy
room. I actually plan to use this mic for my home jukebox system (and
later in a car system.) The current mics I'm using do work pretty
well though. In a car the crown pzm-10 and pzm-11 mic's work pretty
well even while on the freeway with a moderate amount of road noise.
With the crown mic's I can control my jukebox from 20 feet away with
high accuracy in a quiet room. My headset microphone (parrot talkpro)
works even better with lots of road noise and the stereo turned up.

I'm also considering buying this microphone - Acoustic Magic
(http://www.acousticmagic.com/products/)

Does anyone know which mic might be better in a noisy environment,
e.g. human speech, tv, ect. The user's mouth will be from 1-2 feet
away from the microphone.

I'm amazed that you can get speech recognition to work in that
environment with ANY mic. PZMs would be my last choice
if I were looking to separate the signal of interest from the ambient
noise.

The laws of physics/acoustics say that the closer you can get
the mic to your mouth, the greater the signal-to-noise ratio and
the better chance you have of speech recognition. The only
reliable ones I've seen use headset-type mics.