Len Moskowitz

Default Super Tweeter Driver Recommendations?

We're working on an interesting application that needs a super tweeter
that can operate at 40 KHz. Anyone have a favorite driver that they'd
like to recommend?

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Scott Dorsey

Len Moskowitz wrote:
We're working on an interesting application that needs a super tweeter
that can operate at 40 KHz. Anyone have a favorite driver that they'd
like to recommend?

I can't recommend any.
But I know that Pioneer/TAD makes one which is very well respected.

And I know that, if you can live with some spikiness, the Motorola
piezo tweeter is available in a model for super-20KC use that is dirt cheap.

I think some of the smaller ribbon drivers will do ultrasonics, but
they won't go all the way up to 40 KC.

Arny Krueger

"Len Moskowitz" wrote in message

We're working on an interesting application that needs a super tweeter
that can operate at 40 KHz. Anyone have a favorite driver that they'd
like to recommend?

Vifa has one that goes that high.

http://www.d-s-t.com/vifa/data/xt25tg30-04a.htm
http://www.d-s-t.com/vifa/data/xt25tg30-04c.htm

Not frightfully expensive:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...64-555&ctab=14

Similar, higher priced, same factory - the Scan Speak R2904/700000

http://www.d-s-t.com/scs/index.htm

Kurt Albershardt

Arny Krueger wrote:

Similar, higher priced, same factory - the Scan Speak R2904/700000

Nice curves http://www.d-s-t.com/scs/data/r2904_700000c.htm

John Halliburton

If you can find any vintage Intersonics ultrasonic transducers, they'd
probably get there, and light your cigarette. ;)

Best regards,

John

DeserTBoB

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:28:52 -0600, Harvey Gerst
wrote:

The JBL 075 (don't know what it's called these days) went out to 40 KHz with
very high efficiency. snip

Not true. 075 = consumer version, 8 ohms 2403 = pro version 16 ohms
-3 dB down at 15 KHz on axis.

The "slot" was 077 = consumer version, 8 ohms 2405 = pro version 16
ohms -3 dB down at 25 KHz on axis.

40 KHz? It might be there, but way, WAY down in the mud. However, a
cheapo Motorola piezotweeter will do 40 KHz almost flat...although, as
was found out after the fuggin' things were introduced, you wouldn't
want to use them for sound.

dB
plundin

"Len Moskowitz" skrev i meddelandet
We're working on an interesting application that needs a super tweeter
that can operate at 40 KHz. Anyone have a favorite driver that they'd
like to recommend?

I You wannna go a bit unconventional the Max Townsend's Super Tweeter would
suffice..

http://www.townshendaudio.com/supertweeter.htm

I have a pair mounted on my series two B&W Matrix 801 and it works
fantastically well..

/ptr

Arny Krueger

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

Similar, higher priced, same factory - the Scan Speak R2904/700000

Nice curves http://www.d-s-t.com/scs/data/r2904_700000c.htm

You get to pay for it:

http://www.speakercity.com/scanspeak...evelator.shtml 5th item on
the page.

Len Moskowitz

Arny Krueger wrote:

Nice curves http://www.d-s-t.com/scs/data/r2904_700000c.htm

You get to pay for it:

http://www.speakercity.com/scanspeak...evelator.shtml 5th item on
the page.

Ooo-wee! Must be some rich bats out there!

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Arny Krueger

Arny Krueger wrote:

Nice curves http://www.d-s-t.com/scs/data/r2904_700000c.htm

You get to pay for it:

http://www.speakercity.com/scanspeak...evelator.shtml 5th
item on the page.

Ooo-wee! Must be some rich bats out there!

If you think those are dear, there is a Japanese supertweeter that runs 2-3
times as much.

Len Moskowitz

plundin wrote:

I You wannna go a bit unconventional the Max Townsend's Super Tweeter would
suffice..

http://www.townshendaudio.com/supertweeter.htm

I have a pair mounted on my series two B&W Matrix 801 and it works
fantastically well..

Could you give us a sense of what you're hearing from them?

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Harvey Gerst

DeserTBoB wrote:

Harvey Gerst wrote:

The JBL 075 (don't know what it's called these days) went out to 40 KHz with
very high efficiency. snip

Not true. 075 = consumer version, 8 ohms 2403 = pro version 16 ohms
-3 dB down at 15 KHz on axis.

Not from what I remember. We use to sell them to the Army (for God knows what
purpose), and to the Highway department (to use as vehicle counters at 25kHz).
There WAS NO off-axis response; at JBL, we called it affectionately "The
Acoustic Laser".

The "slot" was 077 = consumer version, 8 ohms 2405 = pro version 16
ohms -3 dB down at 25 KHz on axis.

That was Ed May's slot-loading modification to Bill Burton's original 075
design. The only difference between the two was the dispersion, IIRC - same
diaphragm and magnet assembly.

40 KHz? It might be there, but way, WAY down in the mud.

I don't think so.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
DeserTBoB

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:04:32 -0800, Harvey Gerst
wrote:

Not from what I remember. We use to sell them to the Army (for God knows what
purpose), and to the Highway department (to use as vehicle counters at 25kHz).
There WAS NO off-axis response; at JBL, we called it affectionately "The
Acoustic Laser". snip

Beaming on the "Burton Bullet" was pretty bad just below 10 KHz and
incredible at 15 KHz, per JBL's own polar plots. JBL's own literature
showed response down 3 dB just over 15 KHz. Sure, they went out to
the ultrasonic range, but certainly not "flat" when compared to its
audio passband.

The "slot" was 077 = consumer version, 8 ohms 2405 = pro version 16
ohms -3 dB down at 25 KHz on axis.

That was Ed May's slot-loading modification to Bill Burton's original 075
design. The only difference between the two was the dispersion, IIRC - same
diaphragm and magnet assembly. snip

Yes, I made many 077/2405s out of 075/2402s (it was 2402...I retrieved
the original documentation from file) by simply changing the face
piece and the center "nose cone" with parts picked up from Balboa
Avenue. In fact, the pro and home versions shared the same diaphragm
too, with the home rated at 8 ohm and the pro at 16, when actually
testing in the passband showed it to split the difference at 12! This
was taken into consideration in the crossover. May's ingenious
variation got rid of the horrid beaming of the 077/2405 and exhibited
100° horizontal dispersion at 10 KHz, where the 075/2402 was narrowed
down below 60°, conical pattern, and got a lot worse as you went up.
The 2402 was still the transducer of choice for longer throw
installations, however, and still is. The only serious competition
back in those days was the Gauss "Big Tweet," which handled a lot more
power and used an odd multicell concentric horn section to try to
improve dispersion.

40 KHz? It might be there, but way, WAY down in the mud.

I don't think so. snip

OK, well, I DO know this from experience. One day while changing
diaphragms and parts on some of these, I had connected a 2405 through
an HP matching transformer to the 600 ohm output of an H-P 200CD,
which I used to sweep for obvious resonances. Just for laughs, I went
up past 30 KHz. I know one thing...it REALLY got my dog's attention
in that range! The only other transducer that was able to rate his
attention was a $2 piezo, and we all know what THEY sounded like.
Back in those days, I could easily sense 17 KHz, and it was definitely
there at more than 45° off axis on the 2405, as mic tests proved also.
I have no doubt at all that the 2402/2405 could easily put out 40 KHz,
but I do doubt that the output was within 3 dB of their acoustic
output at crossover, which was 7 KHz with the May modification and 5
KHz with the original "Burton Bullet." Why was the May version
flatter at the top? Easy...the bullet had bad phase cancellation
problems in that area at anything other than precisely on axis; thus,
the moniker "acoustic laser." May's "crossfire" arrangement neatly
took care of that by keeping the wave fronts from either side of the
diaphragm phase coherentin the horizontal plane. This was also the
reason why the 2405 was rated 2 dB higher in efficiency than the 2402
while using the same drive components.

dB

plundin

"Len Moskowitz" skrev i meddelandet

I You wannna go a bit unconventional the Max Townsend's Super Tweeter
would
suffice..

http://www.townshendaudio.com/supertweeter.htm

I have a pair mounted on my series two B&W Matrix 801 and it works
fantastically well..

Could you give us a sense of what you're hearing from them?

sorry about the late reply, I've been way for christmas and new years and
had to promise the family a computerfree holiday.

My first impression was that there was an added mass of solloution, like a
window opening up. I use a pair of ADAM S2.5-A monitors for location
recording, and the AMT/Heil ribbon tweeters on these give an uncanny
tranparent soundstage they highligth every instrument without loosing focus
on the orchestra, the Supertweeters betters this kind of transparancy, to
use a standard HiFi phrase, "What I'm hearing is Less colloration..". I have
been experementing with the 801's by disconecting the original tweeters and
only using the Townsends and they're even better in this mode (I gather
these are highly recomeded as an addition to the original QUAD ESL63's).

/ptr