AGreenberg

Default Upgrade using Gadget Labs

Hey Folks,
We have 24 tracks of Gadget Labs running ProSuite 9.0 on a seriously beefy
WIN98se machine. I'd like to upgrade my recording software. Any
recommendations?

Alex

AGreenberg

Thanks Mike, but the Gadgets have what everyone else has unless I'm missing
something. 8 in 8 out 24/96k is there something that Motu etal have that
gadget doesn't have? (besides drivers for XP)
Alex Greenberg - Clarinetist with Nefesh
http://www.NefeshBand.com
Stephen Blakeney

On 21 Sep 2003 07:29:08 -0400, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

In article
writes:

8 in 8 out 24/96k is there something that Motu etal have that
gadget doesn't have? (besides drivers for XP)

Support.

Hi Mike,

But seems to work very well with Win98 (haven't tried it with Win2K
yet). Got mine for $180. The 24/96 Layla's usually at least 3 times
that. The GL Wave 8/24 behaves very well with Cubase VST32 v5.1,
though I have no experience with other programs. If you're bound to
WinXP you should look elsewhere, at least until some intrepid user
manages to come up with some XP drivers.

The GL seemed a great alternative for us home recordists and has
thusfar served me well. Just my $.02 worth. As always, YMMV.

In case it matters, my gear list is:

INTERFACE

Soundcraft Spirit FX8 Mixer

Gadget Labs Wave/8-24 Digital Interface

HOSA PHB-265 Patchbay (balanced)

EFFECTS ETC

UNIT TYPE

BOSS VF-1 Multi-Effects

Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus Pedal

Danelectro Fab Tone Distortion Pedal

Danelectro Chili Dog Octave Pedal

FMR RNC Stereo Compressor

Behringer Composer Pro Compressor/Limiter/Gate (my bad)

Presonus Blue Tube Stereo Mic Preamp (ditto)

Rane Mojo MH 4 Headphone Distribution Amp

Ebtech Line Level Shifter

Ebtech Hum Eliminator

Ebtech Swizz Army Cable Tester

INSTRUMENTS

GUITARS

ELECTRIC

Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone Sheraton

ACOUSTIC

Taylor Big Baby
Gibson Blueridge Custom
Roderich Paesold 12-string

Epiphone "Biscuit" resonator
Johnson resonator

BASS

Fender Jazz Bass MIM

AMPS

AMP POWER SPEAKER

Fender Blues Jr. 15W Tube 12"

Gibson GA5 Skylark ('65 - '66) 5W Tube 8"

Marshall Lead 12 Microstack 15W SS 10" x 2

Pignose 7-100 5W SS 5"

Fender Bassman 25 25W SS 10"

MICROPHONES

DYNAMIC

Shure SM57 x 3
Shure Beta 57 A
Shure SM58
EV PL20
EV RE11
EV 635A x 2
Beyerdynamic M100 TG
Sennheiser MD421-U-5
Stedman N90

CONDENSER

Oktava MC 012 (3 Capsules) x 2
MXL 2001-P

HEADPHONES

SONY MDR 7506
Grado SR80
Sennheiser HD 414 SL

Richard Crowley

"Stephen Blakeney" wrote ...
But seems to work very well with Win98
(haven't tried it with Win2K yet).

Mine continues to work nicely under Win98 (my
only remaining machine running the old, toy OS)

...If you're bound to WinXP you should look elsewhere,
at least until some intrepid user manages to come up with
some XP drivers.

I thought there was an independent group with beta test
XP drivers already out there? I must look them up so I
can dump this old OS!

Tommy B

Well I haven't used my 8*24 in a while, but I still have it.
If anybody wrote a working driver that you could use for 2000/XP,it sure
would put some more life in the old dog.
I always liked the way they sounded.
Tom

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Stephen Blakeney" wrote ...
But seems to work very well with Win98
(haven't tried it with Win2K yet).

Mine continues to work nicely under Win98 (my
only remaining machine running the old, toy OS)

...If you're bound to WinXP you should look elsewhere,
at least until some intrepid user manages to come up with
some XP drivers.

I thought there was an independent group with beta test
XP drivers already out there? I must look them up so I
can dump this old OS!

Stephen Blakeney

On 6 Oct 2003 10:26:33 -0400, (Mike Rivers) wrote:

That's OK for today, but you know that sooner or later you're going to
need to upgrade your OS, and that's when you lose the Gadget Labs
interface.

I just checked around and found this link on the Yahoo Gadget Labs
user group.

http://mostek.subcultural.com/soundC...4.5.4_beta.exe

This is, of course, a beta driver and should be regarded with caution
(of course), but most of the reports I've seen have been encouraging.
Nice to know that there some talented folks out there dedicated to
keeping these nice old units running.

It was quite a good deal for its day, but I guess they couldn't hold
up against the competition.

Still a good deal for many of us on a budget. And companies can fail
for any number of reasons besides inferior product, but that's old
news.

By the way Mike, thanks for all the valuable knowledge that you (among
many others) share with the rest of us. I've learned a great deal
here, for which I'm very grateful.

Cheers!

Steve

Richard Crowley

"Les Cargill" wrote ...
But they could have just been underfunded.

They had respectable offices/labs/shipping&receiving in a
downtown building in PDX. Not opulent, but a higher-rent
district than most smaller-scale computer/tech firms generally
live within. I visited there a couple times to pick up products
and remember qestioning it at the time.

Steve Myers

"Tommy B" wrote in message
. net...
Well I haven't used my 8*24 in a while, but I still have it.
If anybody wrote a working driver that you could use for 2000/XP,it sure
would put some more life in the old dog.
I always liked the way they sounded.

I loved the sound of my 8/24. With most of GL's drivers, it put a click at
the beginning of playback, but I could live with that, because I always keep
a measure or two of silence before the music starts.

Noticed that the GL company was becoming less responsive. Jumped ship and
bought a competing product with a better track record (but doesn't sound
quite so good).
Sent 8/24 to a Mac buddy. I still envision him trying to figure out how to
work a screwdriver and deal with cables that don't have arrows on them.

Keith W Blackwell

Les Cargill wrote in message ...
There was a flurry of Usenet activity not long before they disappeared
with complaints about driver quality. Each complaint had an
equal but opposite cheerlader.

I think I bought mine over 5 years ago, and I'm still using it.
At first I had a dual-pentium-pro motherboard with only one cpu,
and there were problems with the original driver. I had to help
them pin it down (via testing), but they figured out it had to
do with PCI bus numbering issues. Anyway, the final driver they
put out worked great on my NT4.0 system, and has continued to
work great since I upgraded to an Abit KT7-RAID (once I got all
my IRQ ducks in a row).

The bigger issue, beyond driver, was the breakout box itself. It
is surprising that I'm the only person (I'm aware of) who has ever
made mention of this problem -- the polarity was incorrect. I
wired my closet cabling so that I could use the 2 XLR-connected
channels (1 & 2) with XLR's instead of TRS (the remaining 6 had
to use TRS). It turns out that the absolute polarity of all the
TRS jacks was backwards (ring hot, tip cold, I think), but the
XLR's were correct (2 hot). For straight in-out kinda stuff, folks
would never notice if they used only the TRS alone. But man, I
noticed! I just got used to it, worked around it, and with it.
It is actually helpful to cancel out low-level PC-induced noise
during monitoring by having channels 1 & 2 open along with two
of the others. But I definitely have to remind myself to invert
some channels if I record more than 2 at a time.

I complained to GadgetLabs about this not long after buying it.
So they sent me another breakout box, but it had the polarity
fixed in some places and messed up in other places where it had
formerly been correct. Can't remember details now. They went out
of business before they got around to setting it right. I still use
the original breakout box because it is, well, symmetrical. I
have the extra breakout box but don't use it. Maybe I'll sell it
one day or use it for "spare parts". :-)

My only problem with it now is that I don't have the daughtercard
for SPDIF in/out, so I'm stuck with 8 channels of analog in/out.
Lately I've had no reason to "upgrade", and I'm still running NT4.0.
I'm sure that will change in the next year or so. Even if I wanted
to change things right now, I just can't afford to.

--
Keith W Blackwell