drivingnails

Writing a list of what not to use can really cause some concern on a
forum, everyone has their favorites. It is better to find out what
others are using.

I own a 98 F-150 Supercab. I personally went with a SoundStream Van
Gogh 320.4 amp that you can run in 4, 3, or 2 channel (4x80 @ 4 ohms,
4x160 @ 2 ohms, or 2x320 @ 4 ohms) I got a great deal off eBay on this
amp.

I am running some Boston Acoustics NX87 (5x7s) in the front and back.
These are some great speakers. They drop right into the factory holes.
I ran them without a subwoofer for three months and I was really
impressed.

I am also running a SoundStream Van Gogh 400.2 bridged (1x400 @ 4 ohms)
to a SVC Boston Acoustic G2104 subwoofer in a sealed box.

The biggest problem was where to put the amps... I bought a 4" seat
riser for the back folding seat and made a secured amp rack under the
seat and then made a sealed box that fits under the seat.

Hope this helps.

drivingnails

--
drivingnails
drivingnails's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=27441

Charles B. Summers

Default Amps? Which to avoid?

I'm planning on installing a couple of amps to my F-150, but thought that
I'd come to you guys for a little advice before just grabbing something off
the shelf.

I'll also be replacing the stock speakers in the doors and rear of the
truck, so I'm open for just about anything right now. First question of
course is what to avoid, second question is... should I stick with my plan
to buy 2, 2-channel amps or 1, 4-channel amp. I'm not going to be installing
subs, but rather just looking to upgrade the sound so I'll at least be able
to enjoy it.

Thanks.

PS: Oh yeah MOSFET... I went with your advice and got the head unit that
played MP3's. Thanks!

Charles B. Summers wrote:
[...]

Well don't install cheaper one like I did. Go Alpine or high-end name
brand.
It's competition in street.

Antispammer

go for established brand names, never buy any brand that you have never even
heard of , yet is dirt cheap and yet comes with 1000000000000000000000watts
of power (or some fascinating specs). these are the ones to aviod.

"Charles B. Summers" wrote in message
.. .
I'm planning on installing a couple of amps to my F-150, but thought that
I'd come to you guys for a little advice before just grabbing something

off
the shelf.

I'll also be replacing the stock speakers in the doors and rear of the
truck, so I'm open for just about anything right now. First question of
course is what to avoid, second question is... should I stick with my plan
to buy 2, 2-channel amps or 1, 4-channel amp. I'm not going to be

installing
subs, but rather just looking to upgrade the sound so I'll at least be

able
to enjoy it.

Thanks.

PS: Oh yeah MOSFET... I went with your advice and got the head unit that
played MP3's. Thanks!

Tony F

I'd buy a 4-channel amp, just to save on room. Unless your head unit had
built-in xovers, then get an amp that does. Also, the more install options
the amp has the better as far as I'm concerned. That way you're not limited
to just one particular setup...if you change the install down the road or
get a different vehicle then you won't have to buy a new amp.

If you narrow your choices down and come back with some suggestions we may
be able to advise you further.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

[...]

Charles B. Summers

My 2001 F-150 is a regular cab, so installation choices are limited to the
small area behind the seats. I've been noticing that alot of people are
buying stuff from eBay, but I'm still kinda leery about buying electronics
from there. I know to check the feedback ratings, so maybe I'll look there
again.

Thanks.

"drivingnails" wrote in
message news:1109226294.e673958c8f2273a942ab89f673fe6639@t eranews...

[...]

First, if you have a standard cab, then you only have two speakers
right? Also, you may not want a sub now, but later you may. There are
plenty of sub boxes that will fit behind your seat. A single qaulity
10" sub will add a whole new depth to the music over just two speakers.

Id go with a 4 channel like others said. Then later you can run the
sub off of channel 3 and 4, or bridge the channels now for more power
to your speakers.

Id stay away from cheap amps no matter the name. I have used Hifonics,
PPI, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine and had great luck with them. I have also
used Sony, Kenwood, Clarion and had not that great of luck. And do not
buy anything at a swap meet. Sounddomain.com is a goon online retailer.

Bruce Chang

"Charles B. Summers" wrote in message
My 2001 F-150 is a regular cab, so installation choices are limited to the
small area behind the seats. I've been noticing that alot of people are
buying stuff from eBay, but I'm still kinda leery about buying electronics
from there. I know to check the feedback ratings, so maybe I'll look there
again.

Thanks.

As with every purchase, you want to figure out what you want first. Then
find if something meets your criteria. If you have an aftermarket headunit,
you'll have preamp outputs, that is a non-issue. Do you plan to add more
later or is this a one time deal? If so, do you want/need crossovers? What
speakers do you have? Can the amp support enough power to drive them
properly? What space do you need it to fit in? Will you have enough space
for RCA's to stick out and power cables to run to. I'm an avid ebay
purchaser and usually know what I want before looking on eBay. The older
Rockford Fosgate stuff is going for cheap and it's good stuff. You might
look for a 400.4 or 400a4. That'd be a 100watts per channel amp. If you're
inclined, you might go to a pawn shop and see what they have to offer though
it's going to be limited.

-Bruce

Charles B. Summers

My truck has the two in the doors and two in the corner panels behind the
seats. I enjoy the space behind the seats as storage for small items that I
need to keep handy, so subs would be way far in the future, if any. I'll
look into the 4 channel amps to see what I can find.

As far as Sounddomain.com, did you mean to say "goon", or did you mean
"good"? There's a big difference in the way I could interpret the
meaning... LOL Have you ever used Etronics.com? I usually purchase from
Crutchfield because I like that they include most of the instructions and
accessories with your order, but I doubt that they'd have anything for a
simple amplifier installation.

wrote in message
ups.com...
First, if you have a standard cab, then you only have two speakers
right? Also, you may not want a sub now, but later you may. There are
plenty of sub boxes that will fit behind your seat. A single qaulity
10" sub will add a whole new depth to the music over just two speakers.

Id go with a 4 channel like others said. Then later you can run the
sub off of channel 3 and 4, or bridge the channels now for more power
to your speakers.

Id stay away from cheap amps no matter the name. I have used Hifonics,
PPI, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine and had great luck with them. I have also
used Sony, Kenwood, Clarion and had not that great of luck. And do not
buy anything at a swap meet. Sounddomain.com is a goon online retailer.

Sorry, Sounddomain.com is good! I have bought many items from them. And
they pricematch!

Tony F

"As far as Sounddomain.com, did you mean to say "goon", or did you mean
"good"? There's a big difference in the way I could interpret the
meaning... LOL Have you ever used Etronics.com? I usually purchase from
Crutchfield because I like that they include most of the instructions and
accessories with your order, but I doubt that they'd have anything for a
simple amplifier installation."

I have to agree with ephedralover (despite his methamphatamine addiction!).
Sounddomain is the best online car stereo retailer I have dealt with. Like
crutchfield they include some free stuff. I purchased my Pioneer HU from
them and they gave me the wiring harness adapter, mounting kit and a wiring
kit for free. They also ship FedEx and since I live in the same state as
them, I get my orders in 2 days or less. Crutchfield wanted $599 for the HU
and Sounddomain had it for $425...and they're an authorized retailer. They
accidentally overcharged my credit card once and I called them up and they
not only corrected it the next day but I got an personal (not automated)
email from their finance lady explaining the error to me and asking me if
the corrrection was done right. I don't work for them & not affiliated in
any way, but I'm a huge fan of praising a company when I get that level of
customer service. I see them as a huge up-and-coming competitor to
Crutchfield and/or any other online retailer.

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and
Focal 130HCs For Rear Fill, 2 Soundstream EXACT10s In Aperiodic Enclosure

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

mightymouse68

I too have used Sounddomain and I totally agree. The are a very good
site. I found the midbass speakers that I wanted at SonicElectronix for
$110.00 less than Sounddomain and Sounddomain beat the price within 24
hours.