Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] jxj1188@gmail.com is offline

Default SHERWOOD S-5000II Boomy Bass

Hi, recently I bought from ebay a nice Sherwood S-5000II amp with 7591
tubes.
Listening to it I noticed that the bass is not tight as I expected to
be.
Itīs a little slow, boomy and without definition, even my Dynaco ST70
is better...
I changed the font caps to a larger capacitance and voltage ratings but
did not solve the problem...
What may caused this problem? What are the first things I really have
to look to resolve this?

Thank you all.

Murillo

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tom Bavis Tom Bavis is offline

On 19 Dec 2006 08:13:07 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi, recently I bought from ebay a nice Sherwood S-5000II amp with 7591
tubes.
Listening to it I noticed that the bass is not tight as I expected to
be.
It=B4s a little slow, boomy and without definition, even my Dynaco ST70
is better...
I changed the font caps to a larger capacitance and voltage ratings but
did not solve the problem...
What may caused this problem? What are the first things I really have
to look to resolve this?=20

Thank you all.=20

Murillo

Are the output tubes matched? Balance adjusted? (flip the TEST switch
and adjust for minimum hum ). Voltages correct? You increased the
value of the can caps, as well as the input (double) caps?

If you need a schematic, email me.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
wb wb is offline

Hi,
First off, this amp is 45 years old. If you have not replaced the
power supply capacitors, bias rectifier and coupling capacitors then
you need to do that. You also need to verify that the tubes are good.
This amp should have reasonably tight bass. No it wont be as good as the
ST70. People knock the ST70, but I have one completely rebuilt with
Auricap coupling capacitors and a few other upgrades to the quality of
original components and the thing is hard to beat.
I have had Sherwood amps in the past and they sounded quite nice.
Do NOT increase the capacitance of the coupling capacitors. If you want
to, you can double the capacitance of the power supply capacitors, but
leave the coupling capacitor values alone. Just change them with the
same values. Auricaps will brighten the amp up, but will cost you around
$10.00 a capacitor. Xicon and Solen coupling capacitors will sound nice
as well, but cost about 1/8th the price of Auricaps. Try a set of the
new JJ 7591A's in the amp. I have them in a 340 Scott and the
combination of replacing the coupling capacitors with Auricaps,
replacing the power supply capacitors as well as the bias rectifier,
plate feed resistors and a few other key parts has netted me a fantastic
performing receiver. Bass is tight and articulate and the highs are
crisp and very extended. Prior to the work, the receiver hummed, had
muddy bass and just plain lacked dynamic punch. Now, although not as
powerful as an ST70, it sounds every bit as good as my rebuilt ST70.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Hi

I'm using one of those as my HT amp right now. It has nice tight bass.
I'd restore the coupling cap sizes first, as their size only
detirmines the freq roll-off point.

You may have a power supply cap drawing current, causing a shift in B+,
and changing the bias points of the amp. Check them, or see if any of
them are warm to the touch, or just replace them. Also check the SS
rectifier diodes or replace them.

Replaced the cathode bypass caps on the voltage amp circuits.

Check the filament voltage on the tubes.

Also, I always replace all the caps in the tone control circuits, since
I use them for HT.

The slide switches need be be well cleaned.

I still don't have a schematic, and found my problem under the plate on
top behind the output transformers: A resistor lead had burned open
from the heat.

Hope this helps
Bob H.