Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Derrick Fawsitt Derrick Fawsitt is offline

Default Fizzing Quad ESL problem

I have just acquired a pair of Quad 989 ESL speakers and am delighted
with them. I have however reported to Quad that there is a slight
"fizzing" noise emanating from one of them. You have to put your ear
close to it to actually hear it. It started to occur during the
extremely hot weather we had recently here in the UK and Quad said they
were inundated with calls about other users experiencing the same
problem and that it might be due to the high humidity. However, it has
persisted up to now despite the cooler weather and yet I am reluctant to
have to haul my spanking new speaker into my car to bring it to Quad
over what appears to be a minor problem, or is it? How should I regard
this, is it serious or potentially serious and what action should I take
in the matter. The speakers are not easy to transport and I am reluctant
to stand them up, (in case they fall), or lay them down on account of
the "stress" it might put on the panel in relation to its base.
What to do please, I would be so grateful for help and information.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109 MINe 109 is offline

In article ,
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

[...]

Try ukra! Or telephone Quad. My 63s have made the odd fizzing sound now
and then, but ignoring the problem has always been successful.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Derrick Fawsitt Derrick Fawsitt is offline

In message , MINe
109 writes
In article ,
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

[...]

Try ukra!

???? I am afraid I am stupid Stephen but I have not worked out ukra.

--
Derrick Fawsitt
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,uk.rec.audio
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Derrick Fawsitt said:

[...]

It's a polite way of saying you're posting to the wrong newsgroup.

--

"Christians have to ... work to make the world as loving, just, and supportive as is possible."
A. Krooger, Aug. 2006
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109 MINe 109 is offline

In article ,
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

In message , MINe
109 writes
In article ,
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

[...]

Sorry! uk.rec.audio has lots of Quad owners. Actually, ludovic reported
a similar problem here with his 57s and I found a website that described
the symptom in the context of old speakers ready for rebuilding. The
problem could be dust (or a moth!) inside the speaker and the solution
as simple as a gentle vacuuming (mind the lethal voltage!).

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,uk.rec.audio
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:27:46 -0400, George M. Middius cmndr
[underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote:

Derrick Fawsitt said:

[...]

Another opportunity for a straight answer missed, George! Oh dear....
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,uk.rec.audio

paul packer said:

It's a polite way of saying you're posting to the wrong newsgroup.

Another opportunity for a straight answer missed, George! Oh dear....

Why are you cross-posting, paul?

--

"Christians have to ... work to make the world as loving, just, and supportive as is possible."
A. Krooger, Aug. 2006
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,uk.rec.audio
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:22:15 -0400, George M. Middius cmndr

paul packer said:

It's a polite way of saying you're posting to the wrong newsgroup.

Another opportunity for a straight answer missed, George! Oh dear....

Why are you cross-posting, paul?

Because I wish to. Ha!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

paul packer said:

It's a polite way of saying you're posting to the wrong newsgroup.

Another opportunity for a straight answer missed, George! Oh dear....

Why are you cross-posting, paul?

Because I wish to. Ha!

If irony were cross-posted to Oz.

--

"Christians have to ... work to make the world as loving, just, and supportive as is possible."
A. Krooger, Aug. 2006
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
soundhaspriority soundhaspriority is offline

[...]

As MINe remarks, you may not have to do anything. I have Acoustat panels
that have arced for years. If anything, they arc less than they used to.