Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Guitar cable to rca converter?

Wondering if anyone can give me any advice? Basically I want to try
and plug my electric guitar into my home cinema surround-sound AV
amplifier. Does anyone know if there are any converters that will
change the guitar lead connection into an rca (red/white) connection to
fit the sockets at the back of my AV amp? Also, will this work or will
the surround sound amp not provide any power to the guitar to make it
work? Complete novice to all this audio stuff so any info would be
appreciated. Cheers!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:12:42 +0200, François Yves Le Gal wrote:

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:00:23 GMT, AZ Nomad wrote:

The output of a guitar is on par with a microphone.

A guitar pup puts out typically 200 mV (less for single coils, more for
humbuckers) from a high Z (6 to 7 K for SC's, 9 to 15 K for HB's), enough
juice for a line input with a highish input Z.

OK. More than a microphone, but still in need of amplification.
What does the typical 10K input impedance of an integrated amp do to the
guitar's frequency response?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

wrote:

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:00:23 GMT, AZ Nomad wrote:

The output of a guitar is on par with a microphone.

A guitar pup puts out typically 200 mV (less for single coils, more for
humbuckers) from a high Z (6 to 7 K for SC's, 9 to 15 K for HB's), enough
juice for a line input with a highish input Z.

OK. More than a microphone, but still in need of amplification.
What does the typical 10K input impedance of an integrated amp do to the
guitar's frequency response?

I don't think it will do anything. Comprising a reverse RIAA passive attenuator
may have too much attenuation for a phono input, but a home amp may not
even have a phono input. A simple cheap mic mixer will probably do the trick.
The mic input may have the shield to gnd, but a ring to ground short may be needed.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt

François Yves Le Gal wrote:

Plugging a guitar - or any electric instrument - in a hifi rig is a sure
recipe for disaster.

Oh, good grief. Here we go again with the "sure recipe for disaster".
Why is it a sure recipe for disaster?

Do you wear a helmet in the bathtub?

// Walt

Posted to rec.audio.tech
tai fu

You can get a RCA to 1/4 inch adapter at any audio stores. However it will
sound lifeless and dull because hi fi amps doesnt amp guitars too well. So
what you can do is get an EQ pedal or something then plug it into your hi
fi. Alternatvely, you can get a Line 6 POD or any other multi effect pedal
and you will get real guitar sounds. What the EQ pedal does is acts like a
preamp and you can connect other effects such as distortion to it to make it
sound guitar like. I tried guitar into hi fi and computer soundcards, it
sounds like crap, have to really turn it up to get any sort of volume cause
the signal is too weak. However if your guitar has active pickup then thats
another story, or if you're using an acoustic electric with a transducer
pickup, then it will sound right with hi fi's.

--
TAI FU
wrote in message
ups.com...
Wondering if anyone can give me any advice? Basically I want to try
and plug my electric guitar into my home cinema surround-sound AV
amplifier. Does anyone know if there are any converters that will
change the guitar lead connection into an rca (red/white) connection to
fit the sockets at the back of my AV amp? Also, will this work or will
the surround sound amp not provide any power to the guitar to make it
work? Complete novice to all this audio stuff so any info would be
appreciated. Cheers!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
tai fu

just plug an EQ pedal between the guitar and the hi fi, that should do the
trick... probably cheaper than a mixer...

--
TAI FU
"GregS" wrote in message

I don't think it will do anything. Comprising a reverse RIAA passive

attenuator
may have too much attenuation for a phono input, but a home amp may not
even have a phono input. A simple cheap mic mixer will probably do the

trick.
The mic input may have the shield to gnd, but a ring to ground short may

be needed.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the answers. The convo went slightly (by about a mile
lol!) over my head in places I must admit, but it was all very useful
stuff. I do actually already have a guitar amplifier, but I was just
curious to see what it would sound like coming out of my surround sound
system. The thought of being surrounded by wonderous guitar music is
somewhat dashed by the warnings of a dull response, but I shall give it
a go all the same! Will let you know how it turns out when I get
around to buying the converter.

Thanks again!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 23:38:50 +0200, François Yves Le Gal
wrote:

As long as he keeps the volume down it won't break anything.

Plugging a guitar - or any electric instrument - in a hifi rig is a sure
recipe for disaster.

Ooh...you're SOOOO dramatic! :-)
What disaster? Fire, earthquake, a plague of locusts? What's the
worst that can happen? It won't play, or it won't sound very good.
Relax, dear :-)

Guitar and panning [email protected] Pro Audio 14 February 13th 05 02:46 PM
Help with home recording classical guitar! [email protected] Pro Audio 15 February 12th 05 03:45 PM
guitar cable Nat Pro Audio 18 August 26th 04 02:37 AM
FA: Neve, Manley, TT patch cables, Eventide, Neumann, Coles, bulk cable, connectors, etc. Lowndes Pro Audio 0 March 6th 04 05:01 PM