Posted to rec.audio.tech
John Gregory

Default Music Bridge

Several years ago, I went to the trouble of wiring my entire house to access
the net via coax, placing speaker terminals and phone jacks in each outlet
as well. At the time, I even envisioned the possibility of playing internet
radio through my stereo system, although I was neither an audiophile nor a
computer geek; just a retired guy with an interest in what appeared to be at
the time, a neat project.

All went well... surprisingly. Everything works ... except for that last
idea. The wire I used to run back to my stereo was mono, not stereo. Problem
is, each room has two sets of wires in order to deliver stereo. I had
assumed the wire I needed to put through the walls - coming from my
WindowsXP HE computer and going to the stereo - was one like all the others
I used for my speakers. Problem was... I wasn't going to speakers from my
computer with that wire; I was going to my stereo receiver... and I went
there with just one speaker wire; mono.

Now enter wireless home networks and the "wireless music bridge". I'm hard
wired. I like the bridge idea; it'll make up for the mistake I made
(threading the walls through three floors was not a pleasant task!). My
question: Since I plan to remain hard wired with regard to my home network,
can I still throw into one of my computers a wireless network card, buy a
wireless bridge, plug it into my stereo system, and pipe music throughout
the hard wired speaker system I have throughout the house? I'm concerned
about confusing the computers if I'm on the net through my hard wired home
network and still trying to use those (at least one) computers to drive or
feed that wireless bridge.

Is there an easier way considering what I've already done?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 21:19:30 GMT, "John Gregory"
wrote:

Now enter wireless home networks and the "wireless music bridge". I'm hard
wired. I like the bridge idea; it'll make up for the mistake I made
(threading the walls through three floors was not a pleasant task!). My
question: Since I plan to remain hard wired with regard to my home network,
can I still throw into one of my computers a wireless network card, buy a
wireless bridge, plug it into my stereo system, and pipe music throughout
the hard wired speaker system I have throughout the house? I'm concerned
about confusing the computers if I'm on the net through my hard wired home
network and still trying to use those (at least one) computers to drive or
feed that wireless bridge.

If a wireless network will pip your music, why won't your existing
wired network (with its far higher capacity and reliability) do the
job?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

Pip? Pipe.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
John Gregory

Cause I'm not piped...er... piped! That wire that runs from my computer to
the stereo isn't stereo; it's mono. I assumed when I saw a "wireless music
bridge" advertised recently that it has to be driven by a wireless network.
Any I wrong? I further assume if that bridge on the first floor has to be
connected to my computer on the third, that mono speaker that I originally
had planned for the job simply won't work. Am I wrong?

"Laurence Payne" lpayneNOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
Pip? Pipe.