Robert Morein

Default Best computer speakers?

Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual problem of minature
satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The Logitechs, considered by
some the best in this category, receive similar complaints.
Does anyone know of anything that does better, while using little desk
space?

Bill Riel

In article ,
says...
Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual problem of minature
satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The Logitechs, considered by
some the best in this category, receive similar complaints.
Does anyone know of anything that does better, while using little desk
space?

I'm afraid that I don't have an answer for you - I think that all
computer speakers are going to suffer in the midrange. However, the
computer speakers that I liked the best were some planars made by
Monsoon Audio (sadly now out of business).

They were a couple of small planars and a subwoofer - they had a pretty
narrow sweet spot, but were wonderfully transparent. The only way to get
those now would be used though.

Now that I think of it, probably the best way to get good midrange would
be to just go with some powered monitors rather than 'computer'
speakers.

--
Bill
EddieM

Robert Morein wrote

Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual problem of
minature satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The Logitechs,
considered by some the best in this category, receive similar complaints.
Does anyone know of anything that does better, while using little desk
space?

I, myself, don't expect much in terms of getting some
quality midrange sound from these mini-computer satellites.
What I have is the I-TRIGUE 2.1 L3500R from Creative
Sound. http://tinyurl.com/8nz9n

Cost: about $120.00 a year ago.

What I did was place both little speakers atop the
add-on shelves on my desk and let it stand slightly tilted-in
to create a sweet spot where I usually sit.

In my case, I put the stand-alone bass speaker
under my desk towards the space where my legs
are in, and where my feet rest.

If I want a more pronounce bottom octaves, I would just
push the bass speaker further in and towards the corner with
my left foot to make it go boom, boom, boom.

This way, it helps me forget 'bout hollow midrange.

Robert Morein

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual problem of minature
satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The Logitechs,

considered by
some the best in this category, receive similar complaints.
Does anyone know of anything that does better, while using little desk
space?

I'm afraid that I don't have an answer for you - I think that all
computer speakers are going to suffer in the midrange. However, the
computer speakers that I liked the best were some planars made by
Monsoon Audio (sadly now out of business).

They were a couple of small planars and a subwoofer - they had a pretty
narrow sweet spot, but were wonderfully transparent. The only way to get
those now would be used though.

Now that I think of it, probably the best way to get good midrange would
be to just go with some powered monitors rather than 'computer'
speakers.

You're right, of course. The killer here is desk space. It is complete
filled by four 21" Wega flat screen monitors. There simply is no place for
conventional speakers. unless I place them 18" above ear level, at an
impinging angle of 30 degrees. This I consider unacceptable.

To illustrate the compromise of which you speak, I have now received an
Altec Lansing 4221 set,
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221. These speakers
have a hinge joint that can be adusted to make them flat agains the
monitors. The conical dome containing the midrange fits just underneath the
monitors. How do they sound? Remarkable, considering the compactness of the
form factor, or not very good at all. For a second computer I have just
ordered the MX5021,
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=MX5021 set, which is a
more conventional approach, but has THX certification.

I will post a comparison to the group.

Robert Morein

"EddieM" wrote in message
m...
Robert Morein wrote

Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual problem of
minature satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The Logitechs,
[...]

Thanks, Eddie. I will post further observations.

Powell

"Robert Morein" wrote

The killer here is desk space. It is complete
filled by four 21" Wega flat screen monitors.

What are the "four 21" Wega flat screen
monitors" used for?

There simply is no place for conventional
speakers. unless I place them 18" above
ear level, at an impinging angle of 30
degrees. This I consider unacceptable.

What is your budget... less than $150?
What is the intended use for your speakers...
music, editing, utility?

I recently upgraded my computer speakers
to Paradigm Studio 40 v3 and added 34 lineal
feet of corner tube traps to the room. JBL
manufactures the Control Series, like the
4408A ($800 pair), which might help you with
your speaker placement issues.
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...udioSpecs.html

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/prod_r_b.htm

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news
Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual
problem of minature satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The
Logitechs, considered by some the best in this category,
receive similar complaints.

Does anyone know of anything that does better, while
using little desk space?

Monsoon MM1000s, still occasionally available on eBay.

Arny Krueger

"Powell" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote

The killer here is desk space. It is complete
filled by four 21" Wega flat screen monitors.

What are the "four 21" Wega flat screen
monitors" used for?

Overcoming some kind of crushing vision disability?

There simply is no place for conventional
speakers. unless I place them 18" above
ear level, at an impinging angle of 30
degrees. This I consider unacceptable.

Silly me, I consider hollow midrange to be unacceptable.

What is your budget... less than $150?
What is the intended use for your speakers...
music, editing, utility?

Good questions.

I recently upgraded my computer speakers
to Paradigm Studio 40 v3 and added 34 lineal
feet of corner tube traps to the room.

Seriously Powell, it looks like you're on some kind of
pragmatism streak here. Keep up the good work!

JBL manufactures the Control Series, like the
4408A ($800 pair), which might help you with
your speaker placement issues.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...udioSpecs.html

Good stuff!

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/prod_r_b.htm

Not bad, but the LSR8p would seem to be more like the
classic powered computer speaker (only on steriods compared
to the flimsy stuff that Robert is pumping here).

Robert Morein

"Powell" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote

The killer here is desk space. It is complete
filled by four 21" Wega flat screen monitors.

What are the "four 21" Wega flat screen
monitors" used for?

There simply is no place for conventional
speakers. unless I place them 18" above
ear level, at an impinging angle of 30
degrees. This I consider unacceptable.

What is your budget... less than $150?
What is the intended use for your speakers...
music, editing, utility?

I recently upgraded my computer speakers
to Paradigm Studio 40 v3 and added 34 lineal
feet of corner tube traps to the room. JBL
manufactures the Control Series, like the
4408A ($800 pair), which might help you with
your speaker placement issues.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...udioSpecs.html

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/prod_r_b.htm

They look like great speakers. If I had the room, I'd do something like
that.
Actually, the room also has a pair of eight foot tall Acoustat 2+2's. With
them, I could precisely position one seat in order to perform the A/V
editing I need to do, and there would be substantial damage to the overall
use of the room. If I were mixing for a CD, there is no doubt I would do it.

Robert Morein

"Powell" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote

The killer here is desk space. It is complete
filled by four 21" Wega flat screen monitors.

What are the "four 21" Wega flat screen
monitors" used for?

Editing video and panning audio.

There simply is no place for conventional
speakers. unless I place them 18" above
ear level, at an impinging angle of 30
degrees. This I consider unacceptable.

What is your budget... less than $150?

There is no limit to the budget. But I have a set of Kef RDM1's I could pull
out of the closet. The problem is space.

What is the intended use for your speakers...
music, editing, utility?

See above.

I recently upgraded my computer speakers
to Paradigm Studio 40 v3 and added 34 lineal
feet of corner tube traps to the room. JBL
manufactures the Control Series, like the
4408A ($800 pair), which might help you with
your speaker placement issues.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...udioSpecs.html

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/prod_r_b.htm

Robert Morein

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news
Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual
problem of minature satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The
Logitechs, considered by some the best in this category,
receive similar complaints.

Does anyone know of anything that does better, while
using little desk space?

Monsoon MM1000s, still occasionally available on eBay.

Interesting.
The Altec Lansing VX series use a 1" inverted aluminum dome with a neodymium
magnet. Depth about 3/4". The sound is good only in view of the remarkable
form factor. Perhaps the Monsoons transcend this.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news
Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual problem of minature
satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The Logitechs, considered
by
some the best in this category, receive similar complaints.
Does anyone know of anything that does better, while using little desk
space?

Why not use the EQ built into your software?

Robert Morein

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news
Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual problem of minature
satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The Logitechs,

considered
by
some the best in this category, receive similar complaints.
Does anyone know of anything that does better, while using little desk
space?

Why not use the EQ built into your software?

Mikey, you are a stupid person. Stupid people are disinvited from this
discussion.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news
Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual problem of minature
satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The Logitechs,

considered
by
some the best in this category, receive similar complaints.
Does anyone know of anything that does better, while using little desk
space?

Why not use the EQ built into your software?

Mikey, you are a stupid person. Stupid people are disinvited from this
discussion.

Sorry, I thought you wanted useful info.

Robert Morein

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual problem of

minature
satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The Logitechs,

considered
by
some the best in this category, receive similar complaints.
Does anyone know of anything that does better, while using little

desk
space?

Why not use the EQ built into your software?

Mikey, you are a stupid person. Stupid people are disinvited from this
discussion.

Sorry, I thought you wanted useful info.

Mikey, you are incapable of providing useful information. You emit noise.

Just as a matter of interest, I received a flyer from www.mcminone.com
yesterday. Flipping through it, I noticed an ad for a 5.1 speaker system,
consisting of 5 little satellites plus a powered "subwoofer" in a bandpass
enclosure. The price was $102 for the set, but it was on sale for $25!
Even for POS speakers, that's a dramatically low price. I think I'll buy
one just to see what you get for that price.

Norm Strong

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news Just installed a set of Altec Lansing VS4221:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...asp?pID=VS4221

These are great for desk space, but have the usual problem of

minature
satellites: hollow miidrange.
From what I've read, this is an endemic defect. The Logitechs,
considered
by
some the best in this category, receive similar complaints.
Does anyone know of anything that does better, while using little

desk
space?

Why not use the EQ built into your software?

Mikey, you are a stupid person. Stupid people are disinvited from this
discussion.

Sorry, I thought you wanted useful info.

Mikey, you are incapable of providing useful information. You emit noise.

Another Morein lie.

Powell

"Robert Morein" wrote

The killer here is desk space. It is complete
filled by four 21" Wega flat screen monitors.

What are the "four 21" Wega flat screen
monitors" used for?

Editing video and panning audio.

Why cheap-out with the MX5021 if you don't have
any budget restrictions?

There simply is no place for conventional
speakers. unless I place them 18" above
ear level, at an impinging angle of 30
degrees. This I consider unacceptable.

What is your budget... less than $150?

There is no limit to the budget. But I have a set
of Kef RDM1's I could pull out of the closet. The
problem is space.

What about speakers blu-tacked in horizontal
configuration on top of the TV''s? Or studio
speakers designed for wall mounting?

Now that Hafler has gone under what about their
TRM or M5 reference monitors? They should be
available at discounted prices.

What is the intended use for your speakers...
music, editing, utility?

See above.

It appears that sound fidelity has a very low priority
in your work/hobby horse.

Powell

"Arny Krueger" wrote

I recently upgraded my computer speakers
to Paradigm Studio 40 v3 and added 34 lineal
feet of corner tube traps to the room.

Seriously Powell, it looks like you're on some
kind of pragmatism streak here. Keep up the
good work!

I am currently testing out a new dedicated audiovideo
computer workstation to go with the speakers. Despite
the October 10th 2005 article in Business Week entitled
"hanging up on Dell" I purchased a new Dell Precision
380 with 2 GB of RAM, 3 GHz Dual Core processor and
a Raptor 80 GB boot drive. To that I changed out the
PCIe video card for a ATI X800 XL. Installed a M-Audio
Delta 24/192 for the sound card. Also installed 2 WD
250 GB ATA 300 MB/s on a Promise PCI ATA 3 GB/s
card in a RAID 0 configuration. Unfortunately this meant
that I had to cut a hole through the side of the computer's
access cover to accommodate the cables.

On my last Dell build I was able to install approximately
1 SF of acoustic foam, but there is no available space
inside this casing. Also noteworthy, inside component
modules say "Made in China." OTOH, tech support
has been very good with the premium support plan.

Not bad, but the LSR8p would seem to be more like
the classic powered computer speaker (only on
steriods compared to the flimsy stuff that Robert is
pumping here).

With Robert it's *do as I say, not as I do* .