James

Default iPod and use of AKG 240 Headphones -- Will they work ??

I am thinking of getting the AKG 240, for use with my Apple iPod.

Does the iPod have enough output to drive these headphones ??

Is there a better headphone in this price range (which I think is about
$150 ??)

Remember, my primary use will be with the iPod.

Thank You very much for any helpful comments !!!

--James--

AZ Nomad

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:31:27 -0400, James wrote:

I am thinking of getting the AKG 240, for use with my Apple iPod.

Does the iPod have enough output to drive these headphones ??

Is there a better headphone in this price range (which I think is about
$150 ??)

If you don't have enough output, try using a cheap headphone amp. I got the
following for a feeble portable dvd for use on noisy airplane flights:
http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=1
http://www.smalldog.com/product/44009/atfgc
Margaret von B.

wrote:

I am thinking of getting the AKG 240, for use with my Apple iPod.

Depends on the 240's. There are at least 3 models I know of. The DF and M
have 600 ohm impedance and are not a good match with an iPod or any other
mainstream portable device. The S model has 55 ohm impedance and would work
OK with an iPod at moderate levels but it is not inherently as good sounding
as the higher impedance models.

Does the iPod have enough output to drive these headphones ??

Is there a better headphone in this price range (which I think is about
$150 ??)

Grado SR-80 or SR-125 open designs and Sennheiser HD 280 Pro closed design
would be my choices if portability is not a big deal. The Koss Porta Pro is
one of the best values in audio today and supremely portable. Sounds great
with the iPod for $50.

But that said, headphone sound quality is highly subjective and you should
always listen before you buy because many highly rated cans sound totally
different from each other.

Cheers,

Margaret

Codifus

Null Stunde wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:39:37 GMT, "Margaret von B."
wrote:

would be my choices if portability is not a big deal. The Koss Porta Pro is
one of the best values in audio today and supremely portable. Sounds great

Porta Pro is very good but I prefer Sennheiser PX10.

Don't you mean The Senn PX100?

CD
Lennart E Johansson

There are different flavors on AKG K240 cans with high or medium
impedance. Early models and the current K240 Monitor are high impedance
that require higher voltage output than most portable players can produce.
K240 Studio is medium impedance, and might work with an iPod.