RichA

Default Simplest tube headphone amp

I've seen the designs on "Headwize" and one
of them is very basic. Are there any others
that people know about?
Thanks

RichA wrote:
I've seen the designs on "Headwize" and one
of them is very basic. Are there any others
that people know about?
Thanks

The v/d Waarde 6AS7 design is worth your attention. I think I found it
on Headwise. It's proven and I liked it when I built it even though my
Sennheiser HD470, optimized for my cycling and running portable CD
player, was only 32 ohm, and so was a set of Sony, since lost so I
can't check the number. Both headphones worked well all the same. The
v/d Waarde design was also inexpensive and easy to build, very little
to go wrong.

You want something better but also harder and more expensive to build,
look on the net for Eric Barbour's Brute Force headphone and linestage
from Glass Audio 4/1995. Forget the tube alternative to the zener
string; you'll never make it work. Just build the simplest version and
enjoy a true quality output. Is it worth the extra hassle over the vdW
one-tube design? I didn't think so, but then I soon gave up on
headphones for indoor use. I think if you are a constant headphone
user, Eric's superbly developed design may suit better in the long run.

HTH

Andre

robert casey

RichA wrote:

I've seen the designs on "Headwize" and one
of them is very basic. Are there any others
that people know about?
Thanks

I did this one inside a CD player I modified. The
8FQ7 dual triode could also be a 6CG7 or a 6SN7.
http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios...t6112-8fq7.jpg
Poor

RichA wrote in news:2s39415nsf6drr11bvjfid60nnkc4qgpin@
4ax.com:

I've seen the designs on "Headwize" and one
of them is very basic. Are there any others
that people know about?
Thanks

Well did you try it?
Personally I prefer driving my AKG with a power amp directly and the sound
is just amazing in all areas.

PB

Gregg

Behold, RichA scribed on tube chassis:

I've seen the designs on "Headwize" and one of them is very basic. Are
there any others that people know about? Thanks

Give OTL a try :-)

http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/contrib..._Headphone.png

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
RichA

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:57:17 -0500, Poor wrote:

RichA wrote in news:2s39415nsf6drr11bvjfid60nnkc4qgpin@
4ax.com:

I've seen the designs on "Headwize" and one
of them is very basic. Are there any others
that people know about?
Thanks

Well did you try it?
Personally I prefer driving my AKG with a power amp directly and the sound
is just amazing in all areas.

PB

I've thought about it. I've also used purely passive control
and although volume can be too low (depending on the headphone)
it's the cleanest sound I've yet heard for the volume it produced.
All amps are power amps, just some have alot more power, particularly
if they drive speakers, you still have to control the volume so
you need a "pre-amp" even if it is just resistors and volume control.
Used to be, I'd run:
1. Transport.
2. DAC.
3. Pre-amp
4. Tube /other buffer.
5. Headphones.

In some configurations, depending on the equipment, it sounded good.
But today it seems that people are going the route of optics
manufacturers and that is to use fewer components in the signal path
in order to keep signal modification to a minimum.
-Rich

-Rich
RichA

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:30:18 -0800, Gregg wrote:

Behold, RichA scribed on tube chassis:

I've seen the designs on "Headwize" and one of them is very basic. Are
there any others that people know about? Thanks

Give OTL a try :-)

http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/contrib..._Headphone.png

That looks like a good one. So much to try!
-Rich
Gregg

Behold, RichA scribed on tube chassis:

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:30:18 -0800, Gregg wrote:

Behold, RichA scribed on tube chassis:

I've seen the designs on "Headwize" and one of them is very basic. Are
there any others that people know about? Thanks

Give OTL a try :-)

http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/contrib..._Headphone.png

That looks like a good one. So much to try! -Rich

Thanks! :-)

Here's my article on it:
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/HeadphoneAmp.html

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
*Ratings are for transistors, tubes have guidelines*
Poor

I've thought about it. I've also used purely passive control
and although volume can be too low (depending on the headphone)
it's the cleanest sound I've yet heard for the volume it produced.
All amps are power amps,

I mean quality power amps that drives speakers, not an op amp with 2
transistors totem pole output.

As you say it produces the cleanest sound and also for the same reason
that a massive power amp has greater bass slam and dynamics.

If your using an all digital source system, then the preamp is certainly
redunctant as the signal is already strong enough and those with
variable outputs can drive the input directly or just use a
potentiometer.

But today it seems that people are going the route of optics
manufacturers and that is to use fewer components in the signal path
in order to keep signal modification to a minimum.
-Rich

Seems everyone is going to ipods but thats not my cup if tea, Optic
manufacturers are always recycling old ideas to make people buying new
stuff. As with audio equipment the popularity of SET's,triodes, MOSFETS
come and go in cycles. Now we have Nelson Pass pushing HEXFETS.
In the end great amps all converge to the same sort of performance and
even the BJT amps I build are sounding like tube equipment.

Go Figure!

PB