Fred Nachbaur

Default Getting rid of SWEN

Please, if you suspect you might have installed that damn "MS upgrade"
virus, download and run this:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/FixSwen.exe

This thing is getting to be a pain in the patoot.

It won't hurt anything to run the fix even if you're not sure you have
the SWEN worm. (I ran it several times just to be sure, it merely
reports that you don't have SWEN and writes a log file to the same
directory in which the fix program is located.)

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Gregg

You've been playing with WinE again, haven't you.

insert LOL smiley

:-p

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article AYLbb.392$UE6.218@edtnps84, Gregg wrote:
You've been playing with WinE again, haven't you.
insert LOL smiley

Hehehe....

Well..if they wanna get rid of me....just say so!! ;-)

--
Sven (or Swen, Seven, Schwen, Seth, Steve) Weil
New York City, U.S.A.
Gary E. Tayman

Something interesting -- I haven't getten any MS patches in a couple of
hours.

Not only do I post on this newsgroup, but about a month ago my wife took a
vacation -- and spent most of it in front of the computer, downloading music
and making CD's out of them. Ever since then, I've been stuck with a bunch
of pop-up windows every time I log on. I've run Ad-Aware, and found a few
spyware files -- but the pop-ups keep on coming.

To make a long story shorter, I've tried various means of blocking these
pop-ups. Last week I discovered that the pop-ups were occuring even if the
modem is off -- meaning they're being fed locally. I found "Delfin Media
Viewer" on my hard drive, and a bunch of related files. Deleted them all,
no more pop-ups. But just about that time the MS patches began hitting me
hard. I don't know the source, but this evening I ran Ad-Aware again, and
it found more spy files. I did a few things on the internet, then ran
Ad-Aware again -- and found another spy file. Then I spent some time
reading e-mail, ran Ad-Aware again, and it's clean. As I left the computer
on, and did some other things, I came back and noticed that the MS patch
messages have stopped. I ran the SWEN fix, and I'm not infected.

To anyone who's still getting the swarms of MS patches, I might suggest
running Ad-Aware and possibly deleting your old archives. I don't know if
this is related, but it sure can't hurt.

--
Gary E. Tayman/Tayman Electrical
Sound Solutions For Classic Cars

Rich Andrews

"Gary E. Tayman" wrote in news:rRMbb.57862$Aq2.53311
@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

[...]

You need Spybot Search and Destroy. Available at http://www.safer-
networking.org and once you clean up the mess you need google's popup
blocker.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Richard Freeman

"Gregg" wrote in message
You've been playing with WinE again, haven't you.

dont play with it ..... Drink it!

Charles Jean

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:37:19 GMT, Fred Nachbaur
wrote:

Please, if you suspect you might have installed that damn "MS upgrade"
virus, download and run this:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/FixSwen.exe

This thing is getting to be a pain in the patoot.

It won't hurt anything to run the fix even if you're not sure you have
the SWEN worm. (I ran it several times just to be sure, it merely
reports that you don't have SWEN and writes a log file to the same
directory in which the fix program is located.)

Cheers,
Fred

Yes, please do this-it only takes a minute and you know your safe.
Otherwise you could be unwittingly choking up the entire internet
email structure. For the last 3 days I've been getting 200 emails
per day inviting me to "update to the latest Microsoft patch". All
include an attachment of about 160 kb with an *.exe extension, which
is the actual worm. If you run the exe, your computer is infected,
your address book is stolen to send the same worm to your entire
address book, etc, etc,etc,. About 100 of these emails clogs up my
incoming email to 10 Mb email limit, and I lose all else. Check with
http:\\www.symantec.com (Or previous post link for cleaner)
http:\\www.mcafee.com
for more info.
Please clean your system now, so you don't have the same problem!
If you want to update your Microsoft operating system, Internet
Explorer, or Office Suite, go to microsoft.com to do it. THEY DO NOT
SEND YOU EMAIL TO INVITE YOU TO UPDATE! Any email from them should be
considered to be a virus/worm, and deleted WITHOUT OPENING/RUNNING ANY
ATTACHMENTS!

Sorry for all the ranting and shouting, but I just got finished
deleting another 200 emails because of this *******! I figured I
could reach a lot of people via the Usenet groups.

Thanks,
Charlie

Li Gangyi

I'm getting alot of this BS also...seems to be from the newsgroup...ARRRR
Exclusive filtering...
"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
I'm usually on a Mac, and I'm really OVER receiving all of this e-mailed
flotsam. I think that perps who write this stuff should be immediately
castrated upon conviction, with very dull knives . . . .

From: Charles Jean

rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.binar ies.pictures.radio,alt.bin
ar
ies.schematics.electronic

jakdedert

I've run this (actually two different 'cleaners') which verified that I'm
clean...anybody else?

(Mac users and those running Unix OS variants need not reply)

jak

wrote:

[...]

Jon Yaeger

From: Charles Jean
Newsgroups:
rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.binar ies.pictures.radio,alt.binar
ies.schematics.electronic

John Bartley

Fred Nachbaur wrote:
Please, if you suspect you might have installed that damn "MS upgrade"
virus, download and run this:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/FixSwen.exe

Cheers,
Fred

Clean here!!

--
regards from ::
John Bartley

SpaceMonkeyGleep

In article , John Bartley
wrote:

Fred Nachbaur wrote:
Please, if you suspect you might have installed that damn "MS upgrade"
virus, download and run this:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/FixSwen.exe

Cheers,
Fred

Clean here!!

That would make two of us... Well, strike that... maybe my system isn't
Swen-free, but I can give you a 100% assurance that any copies of Swen
lurking in it are as inert as you're ever likely to find. That's one of
the joys of being a Mac user... Unlike you Windows folks, although we
might *RECEIVE* a copy of a virus, we don't participate in passing the
bug around the way you poor suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hvictims do

Baaaah... baaaahhhhh... baaaahhhhhhhhh... Bill Gates is God. Bleah
--
GLEEEEEP!
john stewart

wrote:

[...]

Clean here as well with the Symantec check, thanx to Norton already on my
system.
My preference for action against this ******* would be to have him (it?)
hung
by the nuts to the closest rotating chandelier whilst properly illuminated
for
all to see. John Stewart

Tim Mullen

HEY!!! He's a nice guy! Why would you want to get rid of...

Oh. Never mind.

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
Hagstar

Thanks Fred- clean here. But be my "net hygiene" and Netscape.

The first thing Swen does is try and delete every known variety of
antivirus software you may have installed. THEN it sets up the mail room
and searches for both addresses and newsgroups to which it can send
copies of itself. I learned this at symantec.com. Of course, it only
looks in Microsoft browser files for addresses and groups- yet another
reason I love Netscape 4.1 still

John H.

Patrick Turner

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Charlie.

I am getting about 200 dud MS emails per day.
I remembered not to open attatchments.
The server I now have, iinet.com bought ought the previous guy I was with,
Webone.com.au and there is no spam filters with iinet, so I am going
to a new server, ulink-me.com, who prevents the spam like this flood from
getting into
my inbox at the server in the first place.

I just ran the SWEN program, but nothing was found on my PC.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

Hagstar wrote:

Thanks Fred- clean here. But be my "net hygiene" and Netscape.

The first thing Swen does is try and delete every known variety of
antivirus software you may have installed. THEN it sets up the mail room
and searches for both addresses and newsgroups to which it can send
copies of itself. I learned this at symantec.com. Of course, it only
looks in Microsoft browser files for addresses and groups- yet another
reason I love Netscape 4.1 still

John H.

I'm using old Netscape 4.7.

Maybe it helps, but the problem seems to be that the inbox
at the server is filled up with crap flooding in, and it should be
the responsibility of the server to keep that part of his computor devoted
your incoming mail free of crap.

I am due to pay my dues to my server, for re-hosting and net access
and email.
I'm jumping ship, because of the server's total lack of care about
me, although I pay him money. I have found someone better.

Good net service providers have a good human powered help service
which understands that us users are pig ignorant about PCs,
so when settings go wrong, there is help.
They keep the bulk of spams out, they have impeccable
virus protection, and they are cheap, and access to news groups,
net surfing is never interupted.
I was going to de register my domain name, and have a home page,
but the new server, ulink-me.com is quite happy to host me, and have email
access for aud $90/annum, instead of the "normal" $220.

Patrick Turner.

Richard Crowley

"SpaceMonkeyGleep" wrote ...
. That's one of
the joys of being a Mac user... Unlike you Windows folks, although we
might *RECEIVE* a copy of a virus, we don't participate in passing the
bug around the way you poor suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hvictims do

Baaaah... baaaahhhhh... baaaahhhhhhhhh... Bill Gates is God. Bleah
--
GLEEEEEP!

Just wait until they get bored with Windows and go after Apple.
There's a lot more of us to laugh at you guys! If you gloat too
much, you'll deplete what's left of your karma and they'll come
after you just to put you in your place. :-}
"Pride goeth before the fall."

DaveW

Verified clean here too. Desktop, laptop, and work computer.

Regards,

DAve

Ned Carlson

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:37:19 +0000, Fred Nachbaur wrote:

Please, if you suspect you might have installed that damn "MS upgrade"
virus, download and run this:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/FixSwen.exe

No kidding! This thing filled up my mailbox on Saturday night
thus bouncing emails for about 36 hours until I got
to work Monday morning.

It won't hurt anything to run the fix even if you're not sure you have
the SWEN worm. (I ran it several times just to be sure, it merely
reports that you don't have SWEN and writes a log file to the same
directory in which the fix program is located.)

Yah know, I tried running FixSwen.exe under WINE, and it did run,
but apparently couldn't see the ext2 directories. I suspect
the virus *could* run under Linux with WINE, too, but
it wouldn't be able to mine email addresses.
--
Ned Carlson Triode Electronics
www.triodeelectronics.com

Fred

"Hagstar" wrote

Of course, it only
looks in Microsoft browser files for addresses and groups

Bull****. Swen searches your entire drive for the following file types, from the Symantec W32.Swen.A@mm definition
page:

"Searches the .html, .asp, .eml, .dbx, .wab, and .mbx files on the hard disk for email addresses."

I don't know what file types Netscape uses for email stores, newsgroup message stores and its address book, but I
suspect they're exactly the same types OE and the rest of Windoze uses. It doesn't matter what the folder they're in is
called.

Today I received 3 copies of a new version which walked right past NAV undetected. I sent them off to Symantec, which
responded about 2 hours later with confirmation that they were, in fact, SWEN disguised. They are trying out a beta of
an updated definition to catch this new variant as I write this. Should be released tomorrow when they update the "Live
Update" servers.

Fred T.

Chuck Harris

Then you suspect wrong!

Netscape uses:

.mab files for its MozillaAddressBook

-Chuck

Fred wrote:
[...]

Fred Nachbaur

Fred wrote:
"Hagstar" wrote

Of course, it only
looks in Microsoft browser files for addresses and groups

Bull****. Swen searches your entire drive for the following file types, from the Symantec W32.Swen.A@mm definition
page:

"Searches the .html, .asp, .eml, .dbx, .wab, and .mbx files on the hard disk for email addresses."

I don't know what file types Netscape uses for email stores, newsgroup message stores and its address book, but I
suspect they're exactly the same types OE and the rest of Windoze uses. It doesn't matter what the folder they're in is
called.

NS4 uses .nab, Mozilla-based Netscape (6/7) used .mab. So those are
"immune" to this particular virus (but not all of them). For mail/news
stores, NS4 uses no extension, Mozilla uses .msf. So safe again. But
*only* with this particular virus. IIRC, the last big one (sobig.f) did
read NS4 and Mozilla extensions.

Cheers,
Fred (the other one)
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Hagstar

Fred wrote:

I don't know what file types Netscape uses for email stores, newsgroup message stores and its address book, but I
suspect they're exactly the same types OE and the rest of Windoze uses.

What a nice person you are ! Cursing me when you think it was MY idea
about not attacking Netscape files. Your suspicion is wrong -it's all
over the web that this is a Microsoft specific virus, and it specially
targets Outhouse Express and Explorer files. I LOVE it you see fit to
curse me out based on an incorrect assumption on your part- try thinking
next time before flaming.

John H.
Fred

"Hagstar" wrote in message ...
Fred wrote:

I don't know what file types Netscape uses for email stores, newsgroup message stores and its address book, but I
suspect they're exactly the same types OE and the rest of Windoze uses.

What a nice person you are ! Cursing me when you think it was MY idea
about not attacking Netscape files. Your suspicion is wrong -it's all
over the web that this is a Microsoft specific virus, and it specially
targets Outhouse Express and Explorer files. I LOVE it you see fit to
curse me out based on an incorrect assumption on your part- try thinking
next time before flaming.

John H.

I've apologized to John off line and I apologize again here. Dealing with 2 to 10 copies of Swen every 5 minutes in
order to keep my legit email flowing has me a bit on edge. Please forgive my outburst.

As I understand it, users of Netscape may be somewhat protected from becoming broadcasters of Swen because Netscape's
files will not be scanned for email addresses. But Netscape users are no more immune from getting infected than any
other windows users if they are ignorant enough to open the attachment in a Swen email. And Swen will harvest email
addresses from .html or .dbx files anywhere on your system, regardless of your email client.

Swen also propagates via Kaaza and IRQ, BTW, and I suspect that's why it's running so rampant. The average kid these
days knows better than to open a .exe or other program file in an email, so why bother with AV software? Better to
spend your energy downloading free music and having a good time, right?

Right.

13 or 14 new copies came in as I wrote this. And IMHO, that SUCKS!

Fred

Steven

???

If you haven't triggered and alarm here (and a scan showed nothing also) you
are free of SWEN, I assure you). This is a two-year old issue, and all anti
virus companies have covered the infection with updates that were made
standard long ago. If you have viral issues, then you need to make sure the
a/v program is updated automatically or manually daily.
.. .