Sean Scott

Default SPeaker Help

I was looking at replacing the stock door speakers in my car and found these
on crutchfields sight and couldnt decide, wanted to hear from some of you
for which would be the better speakers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sFACiBO...0&I=1084625CFP

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sFACiBO...00&I=107MMC460

DA

I've never used the Polk but I know they are good speakers. I have ran
the Infinity's in an S10 before and they sounded very good. Or at least
as good as a 4x6 can. A buddy of mine still has them running in an S10
of his. Probably can't go wrong with either one.

DA
MOSFET

Polk and Infinity are both excellent speakers with excellent reputations.

However, IMHO, I have to tell you that I've never been a big fan of plate
speakers. The reason is that here you have a 4x6 hole, but you're only
getting a 4" midrange into it. And as you probably know, you just can't get
much midbass from a 4" speaker (no matter who the manufacturer is). In a
car, midbass tends to be the hardest frequency region to reproduce in any
great quanitity.

If I were you, I would think about trying to get a set of 5 1/4" or 6 1/2"
separates to fit. Or, at least try to get a good set of 4 x 6" coaxials.
MB Quart makes a 4 X 6" coaxial that sounds as good as many separates. And
that way you have a woofer that takes up the entire space.

Just a thought.

MOSFET

"Sean Scott" Its@secret wrote in message
I was looking at replacing the stock door speakers in my car and found

these
on crutchfields sight and couldnt decide, wanted to hear from some of you
for which would be the better speakers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sFACiBO...0&I=1084625CFP

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sFACiBO...00&I=107MMC460

Sean Scott

"ZoSo" wrote in message
I agree with MOSFET. I put Infinity plates in
my daughters car was not impressed. Go with separates if you can.

Not sure what plates vs coaxials are. I didnt want to drill into the door
panels and such, much rather would like to stick with a speaker I can just
screw in where the old one was and go from there.

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

The polk or the infinitys are good. Although I found the Kappa series
to be a bit harsh. I like the reference series tweeter better

MOSFET

OK, well like I said, I would get a speaker where the woofer takes up the
entire space (4" x 6"). A 4 x 6" coaxial speaker would fit the bill. A
coaxial speaker refers to a speaker comprised of an outer cone (usually a
woofer) and an inner speaker inside the cone (usually a tweeter), both
speakers are mounted on the same axis, or co-axial.

A plate speaker, on the other hand, refers to two speakers mounted side by
side on some kind of "plate". Again, the obvious disadvantage of this
arrangment is that you cannot have as large a woofer. Most folks here will
agree that you really want to use as large a woofer as you can up front as
it is difficult to achieve lots of midbass in a typical car stereo.

Hope this helps.

MOSFET

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Sean Scott

"MOSFET" wrote in message
OK, well like I said, I would get a speaker where the woofer takes up the
entire space (4" x 6"). A 4 x 6" coaxial speaker would fit the bill. A
coaxial speaker refers to a speaker comprised of an outer cone (usually a
woofer) and an inner speaker inside the cone (usually a tweeter), both
speakers are mounted on the same axis, or co-axial.

A plate speaker, on the other hand, refers to two speakers mounted side by
side on some kind of "plate". Again, the obvious disadvantage of this
arrangment is that you cannot have as large a woofer. Most folks here
will
agree that you really want to use as large a woofer as you can up front as
it is difficult to achieve lots of midbass in a typical car stereo.

Hope this helps.

MOSFET

You mean I should get something like this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LTxAgmC...0&I=500SPS460A

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Sean Scott

"MOSFET" wrote in message
OK, well like I said, I would get a speaker where the woofer takes up the
entire space (4" x 6"). A 4 x 6" coaxial speaker would fit the bill. A
coaxial speaker refers to a speaker comprised of an outer cone (usually a
woofer) and an inner speaker inside the cone (usually a tweeter), both
speakers are mounted on the same axis, or co-axial.

A plate speaker, on the other hand, refers to two speakers mounted side by
side on some kind of "plate". Again, the obvious disadvantage of this
arrangment is that you cannot have as large a woofer. Most folks here
will
agree that you really want to use as large a woofer as you can up front as
it is difficult to achieve lots of midbass in a typical car stereo.

Hope this helps.

MOSFET

Does it matter as much if I have subwoofers in the car?

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

MOSFET

You mean I should get something like this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LTxAgmC...0&I=500SPS460A

Precicely. This would DEFINATELY give you more midbass.

And as far as a subwoofer goes, certainly if you do not have a subwoofer you
would want to go with the coaxial to get more bass. But even if you had a
subwoofer, you would still want the coaxial because a subwoofer typically
produces low bass (20-80 Hz), not the critical midbass region (80-200 Hz).

That Alpine would be a good choice and would be the way I would go.

MOSFET

Sean Scott

"MOSFET" wrote in message
You mean I should get something like this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LTxAgmC...0&I=500SPS460A

Precicely. This would DEFINATELY give you more midbass.

And as far as a subwoofer goes, certainly if you do not have a subwoofer
you
would want to go with the coaxial to get more bass. But even if you had a
subwoofer, you would still want the coaxial because a subwoofer typically
produces low bass (20-80 Hz), not the critical midbass region (80-200 Hz).

That Alpine would be a good choice and would be the way I would go.

MOSFET

My speakers in my car are not amplified, would this still be a good sounding
speaker, the subs were pretty easy to set up but I wouldnt want to have to
go buy another amp and run a bunch of wire all over again. My sub power
wire is rated at 800W and my amp is only 150W, so would I be able to run the
power for a 2nd amp to my front speakers right from the first amps power
wire? Or would this be too dangerous? I figured as long as both amps didnt
total more than 800W I would be ok to do this.Then I would just have to run
speaker wire to the speakers only right?

The Art of Bose Bashing and Amar's Supposed Descent into Mediocrity Wylie Williams General 3 September 27th 04 03:16 AM
Using a speaker switch box in reverse? Lee J Tech 3 July 24th 04 01:00 PM
Old speaker boxes Jebus Tech 270 June 4th 04 01:42 AM
FS: Speaker Collection (DCM, AR, JBL, Infinity etc.) Ken Drescher Marketplace 0 May 9th 04 01:16 PM
Comments about Blind Testing watch king High End Audio 24 January 28th 04 04:03 PM