Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Revox B215 - repair / service needed

Hi, I have a Revox B215 cassette deck in need of a service.
I have had it for about 6 months and for that time it had worked
perfectly.
What happened is the tape speed is somwhat erratic, (on the slow side
slightly), and the farther along a side of the tape, it becomes worse,
to the point where the sound is almost unintelligible. This did not
happen gradually; I noticed it as I was playing a tape one day, in the
space of a 60 minute tape, the deck went from perfect to this problem.
I did clean the capstans, (which were somwhat dirty), and the heads and
rollers, but it did not help. The deck was sitting for some time (don't
know - a year or two) before I acquired it. Perhaps the bearings'
lubrication is dry? I have encountered this before on my Revox A77
capstan rear bearing; but I don't want to monkey around with the B215
unnecessarily.
If anyone out there has any ideas to resolve this problem, or can point
me in the right direction, I am most grateful in advance! Or, If
anyone knows if there is an authorized (or at least experienced) Revox
technician in (western) Canada, I would really like to contact them as
well.

Thank You,
Max.